criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Has everyone given up on fixing Fighter Squadron???

Prev1
Fighter Squadron is clearly not fixed. The Rebels still win almost every time, and the longer time limit just makes it more frustrating when you're getting repeatedly blown out of the sky as an Imperial.

Also, there are still problems with locking on to Rebel ships when you're playing as an Imperial.

But there's almost no mention of FS in the forums. Have we given up on every getting it fixed? Is it just because there are so many other things that are broken?

It surely can't be that hard to get it balanced. The Rebels can lock on to the Imperials, so DICE should be able to get it working the other way around, right?

And a little nerf to the Rebels lasers and a little speed increase for the Imperials would go a long way toward evening things up.

Replies

• All I want is for the stupid rebel shield to go
  • Soon...

In all seriousness though I have no idea if they are ever going to give fighter squadron a proper update/balance.............such a shame
  • Taking out the Rebel shields would be a great idea, but DICE seems committed to making following Star Wars canon, and X-wings had shields in the movies. Maybe they could give TIES weak shields because I think they're supposed to have some sort of shielding in the EU or something?
  • The rebel ships' guns now are garbage when shielded. Ive won a few matches as imps in the last couple days. What really needs fixed is the hit detection. I see lasers hitting the ships but they are taking no damage. When I start adjusting my speed to better match my opponent is only when I can record some hits.
  • Regardless of Canon we were told months ago wait for Bespin, wait for Bespin...well it's here and the mode is arguably worse ( still unbalanced ) too long, too slow, more hit detection problems, unfixed and the Bespin Map is booring IMO FS could be great it's totally in need of proper attention.

...they need to go back to the previous code bases, add the 'improvements' but leave out that piece that

causes the laser fire to bend - that was the start of the major hit detection bug and the slowness that is my gut feeling Drop that piece!
  • Anoh
    8379 posts Member
    Hit Detection is the same as before, it doesn't work properly. Especially when spraying at a ship taking a sharp turn.
    Editor/Cinematographer - Anoh is pronounced: AhNo.
  • As long as Shields cause invincibility, then Rebels will win majority of the games.
    What I don't understand is why they can't make the shields work like the Personal shield where it decreases due to constant fire.
    Someone said the Ties Speed Boost maximises firepower but I'm still unsure about this.
  • Mitchel1 wrote: »
    As long as Shields cause invincibility, then Rebels will win majority of the games.
    What I don't understand is why they can't make the shields work like the Personal shield where it decreases due to constant fire.
    Someone said the Ties Speed Boost maximises firepower but I'm still unsure about this.

That would be a great idea, and it would fit with the Star Wars canon, too.

As for the speed boost, as I understand it, it doesn't increase your firepower - it just doesn't decrease it the way that going at your regular full speed does.

• ...they need to go back to the previous code bases, add the 'improvements' but leave out that piece that

causes the laser fire to bend - that was the start of the major hit detection bug and the slowness that is my gut feeling Drop that piece!
    That's interesting. But if that's the case, why would the Rebel's hit detection work OK?
  • Versatti
    1714 posts Member
    In the live feed when Bespin was being showcased, the developer mentioned they were working on capital ships and some other FS additions. It's quite likely that the Death Star DLC will focus heavily on space and I wouldn't be at all surprised if we see some dynamic game changes to the flying element of BF.
  • Hit detection on turning ships needs to be fixed!!!

if your losing every game as imperials then your teams bad im sorry but its true especially these bespin maps, almost endless speed boosts (cooldown faster refresh token) and lots of obstacles to lose oponants who cant keep up!!

I honestly dont think my team (randoms) have lost as imps once
  • Mitchel1 wrote: »
    As long as Shields cause invincibility, then Rebels will win majority of the games.

Damage does destroy the shields and weapons are 100% definitely at max power when speed boosting
  • I gave up on FS months ago.
  • Gingie
    4317 posts Member
    FS is definitely a lot more balanced, but the rebel fighters either need the shields taken away and replaced with a speed boost, or replace the imperial's speed boost with a shield.
  • Artists_Operandi
    441 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    This f###ing issue has been reported by me, with endless reams of text and video support to demonstrate, for MONTHS.

It has been reported by other players for MONTHS.

It was in the big bug fix list on the bug reporting forum, linked from my original report, by @sledgemammer70 for MONTHS, with a guarantee the team was "Digging into it" (god how I hate that phrase at this point).

It has now been re-reported by several people in the bug reporting forum since the Bespin patch.

It has not only not been addressed, but it smacks of complete horse-#### at this point by DICE, EA and The mods. And It's patently laughable, if it weren't so unfunny.
    DoubleC76 wrote: »
    The rebel ships' guns now are garbage when shielded. Ive won a few matches as imps in the last couple days. What really needs fixed is the hit detection. I see lasers hitting the ships but they are taking no damage. When I start adjusting my speed to better match my opponent is only when I can record some hits.
  • Orrrrrrr....come up with some other kind of asynchronous advantage for the Imperials. Personally, I think the issue is that going veryveryfast just...isn't that much of an asset in this mode. The speed boost doesn't let you go fast enough to almost instantly pull out of range of an opponent's guns, and it cuts down on your ability to do a sharp turn, which is really what you need to avoid a Rebel ship.

So, the way I see it, the means of balancing Fighter Squadron is one of three things:

- Increase the damage done by Imperial lasers significantly over the Rebel ships at a baseline. The theory being that the Empire prioritizes damage and speed over shields and armor. You could buff Rebel ship health SLIGHTLY if necessary, to reflect heavier armor beyond the shields.

- Significantly increase the mobility of Imperial starfighters at a baseline. Make them far more nimble because they're basically flying glass cannons. Alternatively, make Rebel ships a BIT more sluggish. The precise amounts here would be what would really balance things.

- Leave everything else the same, but give the Empire some other advantage. Maybe a jammer that not only breaks missile locks, but also breaks basic targeting locks. Meaning that an enemy's crosshairs won't stay locked on to you once activated, a.k.a. this would kill the "aim assist" feature that a target lock creates. Good pilots would still be able to hit you with manual aim, but I'd bet a LOT of pilots wouldn't without the "aim assist."
  • himajin
    36 posts Member
    Solo4114 wrote: »
    Orrrrrrr....come up with some other kind of asynchronous advantage for the Imperials. Personally, I think the issue is that going veryveryfast just...isn't that much of an asset in this mode. The speed boost doesn't let you go fast enough to almost instantly pull out of range of an opponent's guns, and it cuts down on your ability to do a sharp turn, which is really what you need to avoid a Rebel ship.

So, the way I see it, the means of balancing Fighter Squadron is one of three things:

- Increase the damage done by Imperial lasers significantly over the Rebel ships at a baseline. The theory being that the Empire prioritizes damage and speed over shields and armor. You could buff Rebel ship health SLIGHTLY if necessary, to reflect heavier armor beyond the shields.

- Significantly increase the mobility of Imperial starfighters at a baseline. Make them far more nimble because they're basically flying glass cannons. Alternatively, make Rebel ships a BIT more sluggish. The precise amounts here would be what would really balance things.

- Leave everything else the same, but give the Empire some other advantage. Maybe a jammer that not only breaks missile locks, but also breaks basic targeting locks. Meaning that an enemy's crosshairs won't stay locked on to you once activated, a.k.a. this would kill the "aim assist" feature that a target lock creates. Good pilots would still be able to hit you with manual aim, but I'd bet a LOT of pilots wouldn't without the "aim assist."

These all seem like excellent ideas. I like the increasing Imperial damage idea.

Another thing that might make a difference was if you could see the enemies as blips on your radar. That would make it easier to get away using your superior speed when you're an Imperial.
  • Versatti wrote: »
    In the live feed when Bespin was being showcased, the developer mentioned they were working on capital ships and some other FS additions. It's quite likely that the Death Star DLC will focus heavily on space and I wouldn't be at all surprised if we see some dynamic game changes to the flying element of BF.

*fingers crossed*
    PSN: N3GAT1VE_CR33P (Note: blank requests get deleted)
  • Anoh wrote: »
    Hit Detection is the same as before, it doesn't work properly. Especially when spraying at a ship taking a sharp turn.

This is the problem. All you people complaining about shields don't know what you're talking about
  • The sheild thing was a fix in the right direction. I still get baller scores as an imperial pilot it's not that terrible. It's just annoying that the rebels have a crutch and imperials dont. Sensor jammers on ties would be nice, and I'd been saying that all along. However, I now realize those would be stronger than sheilds. (You can still lock onto sheilds and deploy a missile, you can't lock on at all with a jammer deployed). There would have to be some middle ground. Maybe ties get a fire extinguisher type thing and any time they get below 20% heath the hull slowly restores back to 20% gradually.
  • DominatorCDA
    354 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    What bothers me is how long suggestions like these have been given with practically zero input from the devs. I swear they have a hard on for the rebels.
  • Trooper8059
    10197 posts Member
    What bothers me is how long suggestions like these have been given with practically zero input from the devs. I swear they have a hard on for the rebels.

Seems so. Would explain why the rebels get more skins than the imperials.
    PSN: Trooper8059
    "Remember: Your focus determines your reality."
    ezgif_5_a643336582.gif
  • Actually if you add a jammer aspect to the imperial speed boost, you'd go a long way towards balance as they would have to site you without lock on capability.
  • Anoh wrote: »

This is the problem. All you people complaining about shields don't know what you're talking about

This exactly.
  • That fs has been a broken mess from day 1 just don't play it
  • Really tired of the hit detection bug. It's been over 2 months. The devs should be ashamed leaving it in this condition for this long. We will not forget.
  • Blazur
    4460 posts Member
    SkoomaEYES wrote: »
    All I want is for the **** rebel shield to go

Well, they did attempt to balance the rebel shields and I think it's a good step. There are still 2 fundamental problems with FS

1) Imperial speed boost is still inferior to rebel shields. I'd be much happier if they scrapped this altogether in favor of the radar jammer.

2) Hit detection is still wacky at times. You can be visually landing shots on your target but they don't register.

Despite that I really enjoy the improvements they've made to Bespin FS. Flying around obstacles to grab powerups and dodge bogeys is a blast, and I'm glad they upped the score to 400. The mode has a lot of potential but unfortunately is marred with imbalances :(
    The greatest teacher, failure is.
  • MoistGamer wrote: »
    The sheild thing was a fix in the right direction. I still get baller scores as an imperial pilot it's not that terrible. It's just annoying that the rebels have a crutch and imperials dont. Sensor jammers on ties would be nice, and I'd been saying that all along. However, I now realize those would be stronger than sheilds. (You can still lock onto sheilds and deploy a missile, you can't lock on at all with a jammer deployed). There would have to be some middle ground. Maybe ties get a fire extinguisher type thing and any time they get below 20% heath the hull slowly restores back to 20% gradually.

Ah, but there's a different. With the shield, you're actually protected, as in, even if someone shoots you, you're safe. Granted, you can be damaged by missiles, but from lasers, you're 100% protected until the shield turns off. With the sensor, you actually have no protection. If the other guy fires wildly and hits you or can actually aim, you'll take damage, whereas the Rebel fighter won't.

So, it ends up being balanced in the following way:

Rebels -- protected, but still easy to hit.
    Imperials -- not protected, but harder to hit.
  • Piscettios
    5119 posts Member
    The blaster damage reduction when shields are active does absolutely nothing to help the balance. Hit detection is still ****. Great, the guy I'm chasing can't shoot others down as fast while I'm on his tail. What a joke.
    Knights of Gareth
    XBL- JsOnMyFett 13
  • briandt75
    5610 posts Member
    FS is a hot mess. Even more messy now, and growing less hot with every update. They really did a number on the blaster power this time around. It's crazy. It's like they're throwing darts at a board with all the starship attributes on it to make these "fixes".

While in the Falcon last night I emptied an entire clip into a Tie Fighter and it still flew on. The next tie that came up (also full health) blew up after a half second. There might be elements of the lock on that I'm not seeing, but it was working great until the update.

The shield issue is what's making the mode unbalanced. Whatever they did to everything else in the mode, it seems like they didn't touch that, which is absurd.

41st Forum Fury Battalion Member
  • Seriously...F### them at this point.
  • DICE doesn't know what to do to fix it. That's pretty clear. And they're probably afraid that nerfing the Rebel ships too much might break Walker Assault, where the Rebel air advantage helps to compensate against AT-STs and the higher health AT-ATs. Since WA is the more popular mode between the two, it's a dilemma no doubt.

And so people have gotten tired of complaining. FS shipped thoroughly busted and has yet to be fixed in any meaningful way despite small tweaks. It feels like a waste of time to say FS is unbalanced now. Everyone knows. Including the devs. Nothing changes. I don't think they know what to do and have so many problems that need fixing at any one time it's not exactly a priority.
  • VCczar
    113 posts Member
    I really don't have a problem with FS or the imbalance between Rebels and Empire. My team wins most of the time regardless of what side I'm playing on, and I routinely get 1st place for my team, unless I'm playing with other people that play FS all the time. You just have to play a different strategy with Empire than with Rebels. I think people just give up on the game too easily. When I play with my friends--all of who play FS primarily, just like me--we routinely win 200-22, 200-25, and now 400-55 or 400-100, as Empire. Every single one of us prefer playing as Empire, too. Just play more.
  • VCczar wrote: »
    I really don't have a problem with FS or the imbalance between Rebels and Empire. My team wins most of the time regardless of what side I'm playing on, and I routinely get 1st place for my team, unless I'm playing with other people that play FS all the time. You just have to play a different strategy with Empire than with Rebels. I think people just give up on the game too easily. When I play with my friends--all of who play FS primarily, just like me--we routinely win 200-22, 200-25, and now 400-55 or 400-100, as Empire. Every single one of us prefer playing as Empire, too. Just play more.

Even skill doesnt change the fact that rebel ships are harder to kill than imperials (I'm looking at you, A-wing!). I routinely kick **** in my matches as well and often get scores very similar to yours. THE biggest advantage rebels have is A-wings. Its been that way since launch and remains to this day. They're so small that they're very difficult to hit unless you know exactly when and where and how to shoot at them and couple that with a shield that makes them invincible for a short time-or most of the time if you get a cooldown- and add to it that since the awing is so maneuverable that the only thing that can remove its shields( ion torpedos) rarely hit because of their tiny profile and you have one serious pain in the butt to take down ship. BUT THATS NOT ALL!! It also gets the biggest advantage of all the starfighters by having the most precision and longest range. Its been dubbed the "Alpha Wing" for good reason.
  • himajin wrote: »
    Fighter Squadron is clearly not fixed. The Rebels still win almost every time, and the longer time limit just makes it more frustrating when you're getting repeatedly blown out of the sky as an Imperial.

Also, there are still problems with locking on to Rebel ships when you're playing as an Imperial.

But there's almost no mention of FS in the forums. Have we given up on every getting it fixed? Is it just because there are so many other things that are broken?

It surely can't be that hard to get it balanced. The Rebels can lock on to the Imperials, so DICE should be able to get it working the other way around, right?

And a little nerf to the Rebels lasers and a little speed increase for the Imperials would go a long way toward evening things up.

VCczar wrote: »

Even skill doesnt change the fact that rebel ships are harder to kill than imperials (I'm looking at you, A-wing!). I routinely kick **** in my matches as well and often get scores very similar to yours. THE biggest advantage rebels have is A-wings. Its been that way since launch and remains to this day. They're so small that they're very difficult to hit unless you know exactly when and where and how to shoot at them and couple that with a shield that makes them invincible for a short time-or most of the time if you get a cooldown- and add to it that since the awing is so maneuverable that the only thing that can remove its shields( ion torpedos) rarely hit because of their tiny profile and you have one serious pain in the butt to take down ship. BUT THATS NOT ALL!! It also gets the biggest advantage of all the starfighters by having the most precision and longest range. Its been dubbed the "Alpha Wing" for good reason.

tumblr_mig3kugGmM1s5ychso1_1280.png
    Men lie, women lie, Numbers dont
    No%20Hero%20Pick%20ups_zpslyvl9npw.jpg
    anti hero pick up.
  • DICE doesn't know what to do to fix it. That's pretty clear. And they're probably afraid that nerfing the Rebel ships too much might break Walker Assault, where the Rebel air advantage helps to compensate against AT-STs and the higher health AT-ATs. Since WA is the more popular mode between the two, it's a dilemma no doubt.

I think you've solved the mystery. It always seemed so bizarre that they were incapable of fixing something so seemingly simple. But there's got to be a way of making the Rebels a bit more powerful in Walker Assault, hasn't there?

• ]

Sorry, but that doesn't prove anything. There are tons of videos demonstrating that the hit boxes are broken.
  • I would completely remove shields from rebels in fighter squadron or give tie fighters shields as well or give them the scrambler as long as the rebels have shields empire will never never never and I mean ever win. If this goes on the Death Star dlc is going to suffer a lot. Or another thing might they could do is that if tie fighters don't have shields they do quadruple damage that x wings and a wings do it's only fair is absolutely ridicolus how fast tie fighters die in this game. The last thing they could do is if shields are active they can not shoot during that time like the personal shield

]

Sorry, but that doesn't prove anything. There are tons of videos demonstrating that the hit boxes are broken.

I would be best to just ignore UAintGotNoPowers. Regulars around here just view him as the forum ****.
  • Sb2432
    2605 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Soon lol, but nah it'll never be balanced until a rebel tank/imperial airspeeder comes because balancing fighters breaks 40 player modes and tips everything in imperial favor as they have both a tank and a chance at air superiority. Sorry fs guys! From devs.(that's how they sound to me tbh)

Dude, this has nothing to do with strategy between sides. This has to do with f###ing hit registration issues. Jesus, we've been complaining for 5 months.

Dude, this has nothing to do with strategy between sides. This has to do with f###ing hit registration issues. Jesus, we've been complaining for 5 months.

This X 10,000

]

I would be best to just ignore UAintGotNoPowers. Regulars around here just view him as the forum ****.

Lol "Regulars"
    What are you some sort of established society ?

l4TDHP6.gif

'sides, You cant even follow your own advise as in every thread Im in you show up and Speak my name. Face it ,You're my number one fan.
    anti hero pick up.
  • Sb2432
    2605 posts Member
    himajin wrote: »

]

Lol "Regulars"

l4TDHP6.gif

'sides, You cant even follow your own advise as in every thread Im in you show up and Speak my name. Face it ,You're my number one fan.

This is gold too, forums are funny tonight:p
  • I legit have only played like two matches of fighter squadron since the game was released
    but because of the playlist
    I've been forced to play more... plus my little brother likes it so...
    but anyways yeah it is super unbalanced.. you'd think it'd be pretty simple
    I never realized that both rebel ships have shields, an then both imp ships have a boost
    which makes 0 sense to me.
    For all sake of balance, you would simply have a shield starship, and a starship with boost, on both sides.
    Like I didn't think it was that hard...
    and even if they went forward with this
    the imp ships shud then do way more damage, because they are more fragile
    while rebel ships having shields, do all around slightly less damage.

Well, not a big deal for me because I don't play this game mode.
    For your sakes, I hope they fix it

Cheers

]

Lol "Regulars"

l4TDHP6.gif

Lol, sure thing kid. Keep making your stupid videos and everyone will keep laughing are your pathetic attempt.
    JK+Simmons.gif

]

Lol "Regulars"

l4TDHP6.gif

Lol, sure thing kid. Keep making your **** videos and everyone will keep laughing are your pathetic attempt.
    JK+Simmons.gif

:D
  • UAintGotNoPowers
    346 posts Member
    edited June 2016

]

Lol "Regulars"

l4TDHP6.gif

Lol, sure thing kid. Keep making your **** videos and everyone will keep laughing are your pathetic attempt.
    JK+Simmons.gif

Who is everybody though?
    THats the thing thats funny that you actually believe you are somebody of merit, somebody of praise.

You're just a nobody on a Star wars forum.

Once again, nice job following your own advice.

post-46067-charlton-heston-laughing-gif-I-M2zI_zpsh342odln.gif

NickygUrl wrote: »
    I legit have only played like two matches of fighter squadron since the game

yeah cause killing 7 manned rebel ships in 49 seconds isnt fast enough.

anti hero pick up.
  • briandt75
    5610 posts Member

]

Lol "Regulars"

l4TDHP6.gif

JK+Simmons.gif

Who is everybody though?
    THats the thing thats funny that you actually believe you are somebody of merit, somebody of praise.

You're just a nobody on a Star wars forum.

Once again, nice job following your own advice.

post-46067-charlton-heston-laughing-gif-I-M2zI_zpsh342odln.gif

NickygUrl wrote: »
    I legit have only played like two matches of fighter squadron since the game

yeah cause killing 7 manned rebel ships in 49 seconds isnt fast enough.

Get a PS4, Powers! Let's wreck!
    41st Forum Fury Battalion Member
  • Bri is an example of a cool dude, instead of getting emotional, flagging my posts about a simple difference of opinion, hes just like "dude get a ps4, lets kick ****."

Dude im thinking about it, and If I do, youll be my first add.

anti hero pick up.