criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Clone Commando Community Transmission
September Community Calendar

Free DLC Maps?

13Next

Replies

• Beaver
    1735 posts Member
    Your killing me man!
  • briandt75
    5610 posts Member
    Beaver wrote: »
    Your killing me man!

You're
    41st Forum Fury Battalion Member
  • briandt75
    5610 posts Member
    briandt75 wrote: »
    The unplayability of the DLC playlist isn't nit-picky

But its a part of this game, and its not going to change so grow up and deal with it. And I never said 100%, I said 99% of the players who still play this game and love and care about it as much as you do don't come here and whine and cry and disrespect the developers like you do. GROW UP already!

You're 14 or 15 right? Just asking.
    Come on man, You have nothing better then that?

The reason I ask is because you're doing what's called "projecting". Typing in all caps and using a lot of exclamation points and screaming "Grow Up" at people who are having a perfectly relevent and civilized convo about something is what people do that fall into two basic categories:

1. Mentally unstable
    2. Young people

So, maybe take a little of your own advice (again you were projecting) and step out for some fresh air. Maybe a few deep breaths. Then we can continue the discussion. I'll be over here with a glass of wine, chillin without a care in the world.
  • Beaver
    1735 posts Member
    LOL, ok. brb trying to make another post but getting some kind of error

• You guys went savage while I was gone lol. Reading through, im noticing a lot of arguing about this current game and how free maps are not likely. If you look at my OP you'll see I was talking about the next SWBF, the systems and format for this games DLC is already set in stone, thats why im suggesting changes for the sequel.

@Beaver
    @briandt75

Btw making fun of some one for being on the forums WHILE on the forums is a bit hypocritical. We are all here because we want to share our ideas and try to improve this game as much as possible (at least thats why im here).

• GivenumDaBiznes
    1044 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Tewainui1 wrote: »
    Not gunna happened, I just realized that EA bought the rights to make star wars games and the probably spent a huge amount of money for it. Now they are just going to quickly spam out a whole load of unfinished games to try and get their money back. I'd say we wouldn't be able to see a good star wars game for a thew years, After Battlefield 1 and some other star wars games come out Ea shouldn't need to worry about money and we'll finnaly get a next gen experience battlefront game (clone wars)

I believe they own the rights until 2020. Have fun waiting.

EA deal with Disney lasts until around 2023 assuming that the deal was completed when the news of the deal first broke out in 2013.

c6iT9U1.png

Lol nice use of Lando, but I would have to disagree. I would rather have one company make battlefront (or other starwars games) for awhile so that way a rapport and track record is formed between the community and the developers. If the developers changed every game, most of our suggestions and complaints on here would never be heard or seen by a another developer.

I also disagree with him tbh. Say what you want about EA but I can't really think of a major gaming devloper team that could give a better product in terms of an FPS game/TPS game. Activision/Treyarch would almost certainly give a even worse Battlefront, Ubisoft and CD Projekt RED could make a good RPG/MMO game but I also can't see either making a good FPS. I can't speak for the indie devs of course but I just can't see anyone other than DICE making a great FPS product if they had enough time and resources (and sufficient support from Disney without all the creative limitations)

Clearly DICE needs to step their game up but I am not particularly angered that EA holds the rights.

I agree, I remember when I first heard DICE would be developing this game, I swear I could feel all the stars and planets in the sky align and I thought to my self this is the perfect match made game development decision in gaming history ever!
    Not gunna happened, I just realized that EA bought the rights to make star wars games and the probably spent a huge amount of money for it. Now they are just going to quickly spam out a whole load of unfinished games to try and get their money back. I'd say we wouldn't be able to see a good star wars game for a thew years, After Battlefield 1 and some other star wars games come out Ea shouldn't need to worry about money and we'll finnaly get a next gen experience battlefront game (clone wars)

EA deal with Disney lasts until around 2023 assuming that the deal was completed when the news of the deal first broke out in 2013.

c6iT9U1.png

Lol nice use of Lando, but I would have to disagree. I would rather have one company make battlefront (or other starwars games) for awhile so that way a rapport and track record is formed between the community and the developers. If the developers changed every game, most of our suggestions and complaints on here would never be heard or seen by a another developer.

I also disagree with him tbh. Say what you want about EA but I can't really think of a major gaming devloper team that could give a better product in terms of an FPS game/TPS game. Activision/Treyarch would almost certainly give a even worse Battlefront, Ubisoft and CD Projekt RED could make a good RPG/MMO game but I also can't see either making a good FPS. I can't speak for the indie devs of course but I just can't see anyone other than DICE making a great FPS product if they had enough time and resources (and sufficient support from Disney without all the creative limitations)

Clearly DICE needs to step their game up but I am not particularly angered that EA holds the rights.

So the bugs, lack of proper bug fixes, lack of balance, non-communication, poor UI and menu choices... None of that is an issue for you?

I will give it to you that I was a bit underwhelmed when I saw that it wasn't exactly Battlefield caliber and there were some problems, but like I said before this was their first attempt and im sure they have used this as a learning experience and are gearing up to make an epic sequel.
  • GivenumDaBiznes
    1044 posts Member
    edited July 2016

c6iT9U1.png

As long as that company isn't EA I agree completely.
    Sb2432 wrote: »

c6iT9U1.png

What makes you think we're listened to or acknowledged? Aside from nerf hearders which seem to be only people making progress....

Im giving them the benefit of the doubt since I love their Battlefield games and they did listen to the FPS community who were asking for a WW era game. This was their first crack at a Battlefront game, I will reserve any judgement until I see what they do with the sequel now that they have seen what we liked and didn't like.

See, for me Battlefront 2 is sort of a catch-22. This game is supposed to be the Original Trilogy game, so if they put OT content into BF2, I'm gonna be really miffed that they didn't include it in this game. I really can't stand the Prequel Trilogy, so if they use PT content for BF2, I'm not interested. If it's going to be New Trilogy content, that's cool, but not essential for me. They sort of screwed up by half a**ing this game. If they'd put 100% into this game, or showed any signs that they were trying to make it complete, I could change my mind, but there are a LOT of missing pieces (campaign, offline, it has tons of bugs, the playlist sucks). Seems like they're trying to fix a lot of this one, but it's only about a 50% success ratio. That really isn't good for this game or the next one.

What?! No love for the Clone Wars? Now I understand not liking PT movies (OT was better for sure but I did enjoy PT for what it was) but if the PT got anything right it was the massive scale of war they introduced with the Clone Wars. I might even argue that the PT is better suited for a Battlefront game than the OT is. Personally I pray and hope they don't touch the New Trilogy until they actually finish all 3 movies. I feel each installment should be a full on in depth take on each complete Trilogy (1st BF OT, 2nd BF PT, 3rd BF NT, 4th make it the ultimate mash up and anything goes)
  • jason_kal
    1151 posts Member
    But its a part of this game, and its not going to change so grow up and deal with it. And I never said 100%, I said 99% of the players who still play this game and love and care about it as much as you do don't come here and whine and cry and disrespect the developers like you do. GROW UP already!
    Having only 5 large maps in the base game was "part of the game", until people complained, now we have 7. Having minimal single-player was "part of the game", until people complained, and now DICE has been working on adding more 1player options. Having no team shuffle was "part of the game", until people complained, and now we have it. And so on and so on.
    100%? You didn't read too carefully. ARE you 14-15? You never answered briandt. Go back and re-read.
    Grow up? I don't think that fatalism, the inability to critique, shouted repetition, disparaging critique as "whining", confusing critique with disrespect, and the attempt to shutdown critique are hallmarks of being grown up. Perhaps you should take your own advice.
  • jason_kal
    1151 posts Member
    No love for the Clone Wars? Now I understand not liking PT movies (OT was better for sure but I did enjoy PT for what it was) but if the PT got anything right it was the massive scale of war
    PT did have large war done well, and it had great lightsaber fights. Other than that, they were pretty weak films. I have no warm fuzzy feelings for the PT, so I have no interest in their vehicles. A number of the air vehicles I thought had no interesting character. And who would fight who? Ok, Clonetroopers are cool. Who will they fight? Battle droids? Ugh, I've always hated how they look. That alone could keep me from buying a game. So, I'm not interested in SWBF PT.
  • i feel offended that i have been described as a whiner. if i hated the game i would not play it. i come here and i criticise contructively because the game was falling short on its potential to be not just a good battlefront, but the best of the 3 released to date. i would not be here, not even to make fun comments, otherwise. this game captures the star wars universe and atmosphere better than even the dark forces games did. i also contributed to threads others started about the things we love about the game, and i started my own thread way before the outer rim dropped but it went off radar very quickly.

if i hadnt been convinced how close the game was, and if it was not fun to play although with flaws, i have no reason to be here. im not able to make movies. EA need to add a screenshot taker and onscreen FPS counter (like the ability steam has to do so) to origin and then i could post screenshots if i wanted. but i probably wouldnt.

on the whole PT thing, they could have done that part of anakins story in one film tbh. the clones were ok, the droids were disappointing - even lucas had a second go at better ones before making droidekas, and while it was great to see how jedi fought (the battle in the original movie between vader and old ben kenobi was a fight between and old man and an old cyborg)... and yes the scale of the battles was big because it was a true civil war not a rebellion, it still couldnt capture for a lot of us, that amazing feeling when the first movie burst into the world and changed sci fi and hollywood forever.

OT was groundbreaking. PT made some use of technical advances but in the end were just another 3 sci fi movies in an era full of them. they just had star wars written on the box. now if they had said the next game will have PT trilogy stuff only i might still buy it, when its cheap. but if it mixed OT and PT i would be more frustrated with those playlists than the dlc ones in this game, and that would put me off buying it/its season pass. i think they could do more with the OT stuff than we have so far, and that PT needs its own battlefront. then when all 3 movies are out, the sequel trilogy should also get its own battlefront. however, if they mix the new stuff in with OT stuff, that works because stylistically they are much closer than even the clones are to stormtroopers.
    invalid brain token
  • GivenumDaBiznes
    1044 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    jason_kal wrote: »
    No love for the Clone Wars? Now I understand not liking PT movies (OT was better for sure but I did enjoy PT for what it was) but if the PT got anything right it was the massive scale of war
    PT did have large war done well, and it had great lightsaber fights. Other than that, they were pretty weak films. I have no warm fuzzy feelings for the PT, so I have no interest in their vehicles. A number of the air vehicles I thought had no interesting character. And who would fight who? Ok, Clonetroopers are cool. Who will they fight? Battle droids? Ugh, I've always hated how they look. That alone could keep me from buying a game. So, I'm not interested in SWBF PT.

I will give you that, some of the droids were whack, namely the anorexic wimpy looking B1 battle droids, but their replacements were pretty BA.

10pyagz.gif

I also liked the Droidekas

263zsyd.jpg

And lets not forget how sick the Magnagaurds were with their electro staff

nl506a.jpg

So yes, most of us can agree the OT films were far superior, but to say theres no potentional in making an awesome PT battlefront because of droids is a bit much. They also had awesome vehicles, at least I think so:

293brpu.png

2mwf59s.jpg

11ght2x.jpg

2mrdwms.jpg

These are just a few that I remember, im sure theres a ton more. All im saying is, there is definitely potential in making an epic PT battlefront regardless of how you feel about the films.
  • jason_kal
    1151 posts Member
    I will give you that, some of the droids were whack, namely the anorexic wimpy looking B1 battle droids, but their replacements were pretty BA.
    Sorry, I hate all the standard-infantry battle droids. Droidekas are OK, but I don't want to fight a team of them, and I never want to play as one. Magnaguards I don't care for, but they're not as bad as the standard infantry. Still don't want to fight a team of them, or play as one.
    Some creative vehicles...I just have no excitement for them because the films didn't excite me. The Gungan tanks, bleah. And I don't care much for any vehicle that seems too organic...the ones that look too insectoid, etc.
  • briandt75
    5610 posts Member

c6iT9U1.png

c6iT9U1.png

What makes you think we're listened to or acknowledged? Aside from nerf hearders which seem to be only people making progress....

Im giving them the benefit of the doubt since I love their Battlefield games and they did listen to the FPS community who were asking for a WW era game. This was their first crack at a Battlefront game, I will reserve any judgement until I see what they do with the sequel now that they have seen what we liked and didn't like.

See, for me Battlefront 2 is sort of a catch-22. This game is supposed to be the Original Trilogy game, so if they put OT content into BF2, I'm gonna be really miffed that they didn't include it in this game. I really can't stand the Prequel Trilogy, so if they use PT content for BF2, I'm not interested. If it's going to be New Trilogy content, that's cool, but not essential for me. They sort of screwed up by half a**ing this game. If they'd put 100% into this game, or showed any signs that they were trying to make it complete, I could change my mind, but there are a LOT of missing pieces (campaign, offline, it has tons of bugs, the playlist sucks). Seems like they're trying to fix a lot of this one, but it's only about a 50% success ratio. That really isn't good for this game or the next one.

What?! No love for the Clone Wars? Now I understand not liking PT movies (OT was better for sure but I did enjoy PT for what it was) but if the PT got anything right it was the massive scale of war they introduced with the Clone Wars. I might even argue that the PT is better suited for a Battlefront game than the OT is. Personally I pray and hope they don't touch the New Trilogy until they actually finish all 3 movies. I feel each installment should be a full on in depth take on each complete Trilogy (1st BF OT, 2nd BF PT, 3rd BF NT, 4th make it the ultimate mash up and anything goes)

I'd probably enjoy a Clone Wars game. It's really only the movies I dislike. I agree that it lends itself really well to a video game setting. I don't think the New Trilogy lends itself as well. I think of PT as more of an appropriate multi player game, and the OT and NT would make better campaign oriented single player games.
  • briandt75
    5610 posts Member
    edited July 2016

c6iT9U1.png

I agree, I remember when I first heard DICE would be developing this game, I swear I could feel all the stars and planets in the sky align and I thought to my self this is the perfect match made game development decision in gaming history ever!

c6iT9U1.png

So the bugs, lack of proper bug fixes, lack of balance, non-communication, poor UI and menu choices... None of that is an issue for you?

I will give it to you that I was a bit underwhelmed when I saw that it wasn't exactly Battlefield caliber and there were some problems, but like I said before this was their first attempt and im sure they have used this as a learning experience and are gearing up to make an epic sequel.

To me, that really stings. We're paying $100 for a game that's essentially a beta. I have no problem paying for sequels. I bought every God Of War game that exists, and they're not all that different from each other. The problem comes in the fact that they're trying to cash in on too many properties in a short span of time. 3 years is an average development cycle, and even with the sequel they're really pushing the limits, although it seems like they may be able to make it pretty solid, having gone through most of the growing pains with this one. There again though, it's going to feel like a real burn if I buy it and there are still all kinds of bugs, or I just don't care for the content. Even if the sequel is epic, they've already gouged us on this one and don't seem to really be supporting it.

...and I'll generally buy anything with Star Wars logo on it.
  • briandt75 wrote: »

c6iT9U1.png

c6iT9U1.png

I do like the content of the Clone Wars era and I think it could make a good Battlefront game but honestly, If the next game only has one era, I will refuse to buy it outright (I may make an exception if the game is really above standard at launch but I doubt it will be to my expectations). At first I wanted the sequels of the game to look like this because I thought it would mean that we would experience everything the era/trilogy had to offer. Not only has this game not been able to do that but also the variety of the game eventually wears on replayablility. Part of what made previous Battlefront games good is how they had a lot of variety due to having two eras. I can't be bothered with buying 3 different games selling their own season passes to experience the full scope of Star Wars just to end up buying the 4th game which essentially makes the last 3 purchases useless.

You bring up the point that this Battlefront is essentially the building blocks to make a great franchise and I agree with you. However it's this very reason why I have now raised my expectations for the next game. I won't settle again and if DICE gives a product that is similar to this one in terms of content and replayability then I won't buy it.
  • jason_kal wrote: »
    Sorry, I hate all the standard-infantry battle droids. Droidekas are OK, but I don't want to fight a team of them, and I never want to play as one. Magnaguards I don't care for, but they're not as bad as the standard infantry. Still don't want to fight a team of them, or play as one.
    Some creative vehicles...I just have no excitement for them because the films didn't excite me. The Gungan tanks, bleah. And I don't care much for any vehicle that seems too organic...the ones that look too insectoid, etc.

Fair enough, I can respect that.

c6iT9U1.png

c6iT9U1.png

I'd probably enjoy a Clone Wars game. It's really only the movies I dislike. I agree that it lends itself really well to a video game setting. I don't think the New Trilogy lends itself as well. I think of PT as more of an appropriate multi player game, and the OT and NT would make better campaign oriented single player games.

I agree, but heres to hoping all other battlefronts after this one have an awesome campaign coupled with a deep multiplayer.

c6iT9U1.png

c6iT9U1.png

To me, that really stings. We're paying $100 for a game that's essentially a beta. I have no problem paying for sequels. I bought every God Of War game that exists, and they're not all that different from each other. The problem comes in the fact that they're trying to cash in on too many properties in a short span of time. 3 years is an average development cycle, and even with the sequel they're really pushing the limits, although it seems like they may be able to make it pretty solid, having gone through most of the growing pains with this one. There again though, it's going to feel like a real burn if I buy it and there are still all kinds of bugs, or I just don't care for the content. Even if the sequel is epic, they've already gouged us on this one and don't seem to really be supporting it.

...and I'll generally buy anything with Star Wars logo on it.

I also share that same weakness lol, but I know what you mean. Hopefully they really take advantage of these last two DLCs and just pack it with everything they can then BLOW our minds and expectations with the sequel.

• Ctown
    859 posts Member
    Hehehehehehehhuauauauuhehehehehauauauhhhhehehehehe

c6iT9U1.png

c6iT9U1.png

I do like the content of the Clone Wars era and I think it could make a good Battlefront game but honestly, If the next game only has one era, I will refuse to buy it outright (I may make an exception if the game is really above standard at launch but I doubt it will be to my expectations). At first I wanted the sequels of the game to look like this because I thought it would mean that we would experience everything the era/trilogy had to offer. Not only has this game not been able to do that but also the variety of the game eventually wears on replayablility. Part of what made previous Battlefront games good is how they had a lot of variety due to having two eras. I can't be bothered with buying 3 different games selling their own season passes to experience the full scope of Star Wars just to end up buying the 4th game which essentially makes the last 3 purchases useless.

You bring up the point that this Battlefront is essentially the building blocks to make a great franchise and I agree with you. However it's this very reason why I have now raised my expectations for the next game. I won't settle again and if DICE gives a product that is similar to this one in terms of content and replayability then I won't buy it.

Very true, like Brian mentioned, its ashame that the OT was the "guinea pig" in the series. Now if they make a sequel in a different era and its as expansive as we wanted, we'll always look back and say "why couldnt they do this with the first one" but the truth is they had to start somewhere. I understand the want for multiple eras, im just hesistant that if they do go that route, neither era will be as in depth as it could've been had they been seprated into complete games. Just imagine DLC locations and heroes, some will want more OT, others more PT, and if its tri-era you will have people wanting NT. I feel they will just end up spreading themselves too thin and neither era will get what it deserves and be as deep as we want. If they go multi-era they have to ensure a ton of content is already in game or step up their DLC offerings to more than just 2 heroes and 1 planet while still keeping a reasonable price, because theres no way they will be able to cover enough ground through multiple eras if they keep their DLC model the same.
  • jason_kal
    1151 posts Member
    Hopefully they really take advantage of these last two DLCs and just pack it with everything they can then BLOW our minds and expectations with the sequel
    It'll have a playlist. So the maps will be un-playable. So the DLC will continue to be un-buy-able. That's "okay", I enjoy the base game. I just really wish there was some decent DLC worth buying to give me more content. The next game...I'll likely buy it, depending upon how it sounds. I'm not upset with this one...I just would like some decent DLC to go with it. I guess I'll have to wait for the next game to get new content.
  • briandt75
    5610 posts Member
    Hopefully they really take advantage of these last two DLCs and just pack it with everything they can then BLOW our minds and expectations with the sequel
    It'll have a playlist. So the maps will be un-playable. So the DLC will continue to be un-buy-able. That's "okay", I enjoy the base game. I just really wish there was some decent DLC worth buying to give me more content. The next game...I'll likely buy it, depending upon how it sounds. I'm not upset with this one...I just would like some decent DLC to go with it. I guess I'll have to wait for the next game to get new content.

I see the playlist as being a MAJOR issue for this series, which brings us back to the original topic: Free Maps. There's really no logical way to solve the playlist effect which requires a certain number of players to make each map/mode playable. Unless they make the maps free at some point and only charge for the cards/weapons/skins/other stuff it's a problem that's impossible to solve. It's a mathematical equation that boils down to how many people are playing the game. The only way they could get around this is to populate the matches with fill in bots. So, I believe we'll see one of those options around the end of the year:

1. Make the maps free for DLC
    2. Populate with bots

Either of which is an exciting prospect.
  • jason_kal
    1151 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    I see the playlist as being a MAJOR issue for this series, which brings us back to the original topic: Free Maps. There's really no logical way to solve the playlist effect which requires a certain number of players to make each map/mode playable.
    I think you're blurring 2 issues together here. 1 is paid maps. Which will always split communities.
    The 2nd issue is the playlist, which really is unnecessary. If the maps remain for-pay, in this game or the next, there's nothing we can do about issue 1. But issue 2...well, the playlists do nothing to help aggregate players. They are not helpful in this game, and they won't be helpful in the next either, whether the maps are for-pay or not. And since the playlist drives people out of the DLC, or convinces them to not buy it, it actually reduces populations.
    Players quit/re-join the DLC playlist, so DLC owners are ALREADY separating themselves into "virtual" playlists/servers. Adding ACTUAL new DLC playlists (server variety) would just duplicate what's already happening, but with none of the HUGE drawbacks, and enabling unique advantages. Adding playlists won't change the damage caused by issue 1...but we can completely eradicate issue 2.
  • briandt75
    5610 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    I see the playlist as being a MAJOR issue for this series, which brings us back to the original topic: Free Maps. There's really no logical way to solve the playlist effect which requires a certain number of players to make each map/mode playable.
    I think you're blurring 2 issues together here. 1 is paid maps. Which will always split communities.
    The 2nd issue is the playlist, which really is unnecessary. If the maps remain for-pay, in this game or the next, there's nothing we can do about issue 1. But issue 2...well, the playlists do nothing to help aggregate players. They are not helpful in this game, and they won't be helpful in the next either, whether the maps are for-pay or not. And since the playlist drives people out of the DLC, or convinces them to not buy it, it actually reduces populations.
    Players quit/re-join the DLC playlist, so DLC owners are ALREADY separating themselves into "virtual" playlists/servers. Adding ACTUAL new DLC playlists (server variety) would just duplicate what's already happening, but with none of the HUGE drawbacks, and enabling unique advantages. Adding playlists won't change the damage caused by issue 1...but we can completely eradicate issue 2.

They're tied together, it's not me blurring them. The reason the playlist exists is because of the paid DLC maps, nothing more. DICE doesn't want the playlist any more than we do, but as long as there are paid maps and free maps, the two cannot be in the same rotation.

I know they keep saying it's because of the low player count, but we all know it's not actually helping with that.
  • jason_kal
    1151 posts Member
    They're tied together
    But they're not tied together for any sensible reason. You can have paid maps, which will always damage the playerbase, but still have more options to play your DLC. Having more playlists per DLC won't increase or decrease the damage caused by paid maps...but it will make the DLC more fun. Driving up DLC population.
    >"as long as there are paid maps and free maps, the two cannot be in the same rotation."
    They absolutely can! There should be a Bespin-owners-only sub-menu that could be filled with playlists that rotate across Bespin + vanilla planets. There's no reason that there isn't a Bespin WA playlist right now that rotates through Bespin + all base planets. Same for FS, TP, etc. Except for DICE's wrong-headed notion that the playlist is somehow helping keep the DLC playable.
  • GivenumDaBiznes
    1044 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    They're tied together
    But they're not tied together for any sensible reason. You can have paid maps, which will always damage the playerbase, but still have more options to play your DLC. Having more playlists per DLC won't increase or decrease the damage caused by paid maps...but it will make the DLC more fun. Driving up DLC population.
    >"as long as there are paid maps and free maps, the two cannot be in the same rotation."
    They absolutely can! There should be a Bespin-owners-only sub-menu that could be filled with playlists that rotate across Bespin + vanilla planets. There's no reason that there isn't a Bespin WA playlist right now that rotates through Bespin + all base planets. Same for FS, TP, etc. Except for DICE's wrong-headed notion that the playlist is somehow helping keep the DLC playable.

Actually if they made a playlist that was Bespin WA + Vanilla WA, then all the Bespin players would never have a reason to go back to playing just vanilla WA, creating more of a divide between DLC owners and non DLC owners. By keeping them seprate they force the DLC owners to have to go back into vanilla if they want to play the base game planets which in turn helps keep the base game playlist populated. (Im assuming you meant that there would be 2 WA playlist: The normal vanilla one we have now and this new Bespin WA + Vanilla WA). Having a "Bespins owners only" menu would only further segregate players from each other. Then what happens when Death Star drops? Will they have their own menu too, separated from the rest? What if I bought DS but not Bespin? What rotation will I be in then? Unfortunately this is what paid DLC maps does.
  • FreeContentNowPls
    1306 posts Member
    edited July 2016

c6iT9U1.png

c6iT9U1.png

Very true, like Brian mentioned, its ashame that the OT was the "guinea pig" in the series. Now if they make a sequel in a different era and its as expansive as we wanted, we'll always look back and say "why couldnt they do this with the first one" but the truth is they had to start somewhere. I understand the want for multiple eras, im just hesistant that if they do go that route, neither era will be as in depth as it could've been had they been seprated into complete games. Just imagine DLC locations and heroes, some will want more OT, others more PT, and if its tri-era you will have people wanting NT. I feel they will just end up spreading themselves too thin and neither era will get what it deserves and be as deep as we want. If they go multi-era they have to ensure a ton of content is already in game or step up their DLC offerings to more than just 2 heroes and 1 planet while still keeping a reasonable price, because theres no way they will be able to cover enough ground through multiple eras if they keep their DLC model the same.

Well that is what sequels are for. Clearly it would be impossible to put all things related to all eras in one game even with an expansive base game + an expansive season pass. What is missing from the eras in one game can be use as content to add on to the next one to provide a new experience. For example if they made a mutli-era game with PT/ST/OT content, they could mostly refer to the current movies and the focal characters in the movies for this edition and with sequels delve into things like The Clone Wars series, Rebels, Rogue One, Episode 9 etc while obviously keeping the fan favorites heroes and maps from the major movies. I prefer that method instead of buying an entire game reporting to cover the entire trilogy when it's really missing most of the trilogy.

Of course they are going to have to change the way they operate DLC, maps, customization and heroes but I believe that this is something that will be worth it in the long run. Also even if the game had multiple eras, if it offered a season pass much like this game(1 planet = 4 maps, 2 guns etc) I won't buy that either. I like multiple per location but not at the cost of losing map/planet variety especially since Star Wars is known for expansive locations.
  • GivenumDaBiznes
    1044 posts Member
    edited July 2016

I see the playlist as being a MAJOR issue for this series, which brings us back to the original topic: Free Maps. There's really no logical way to solve the playlist effect which requires a certain number of players to make each map/mode playable. Unless they make the maps free at some point and only charge for the cards/weapons/skins/other stuff it's a problem that's impossible to solve. It's a mathematical equation that boils down to how many people are playing the game. The only way they could get around this is to populate the matches with fill in bots. So, I believe we'll see one of those options around the end of the year:

1. Make the maps free for DLC
    2. Populate with bots

Either of which is an exciting prospect.

Pretty much and I lean more towards number 1 and instead of 2 just give us instant action/offline mode. Never was a fan of having a mix of both human players and bots against each other on each side in the same mode.
  • jason_kal
    1151 posts Member
    if they made a playlist that was Bespin WA + Vanilla WA, then all the Bespin players would never have a reason to go back to playing just vanilla WA
    Of course. And that's a GOOD thing. First, DICE keeps saying they're worried about the DLC remaining playable...and Bespin WA would keep Bespin SUPER playable. And they're not saying they're worried about the base game being playable. There will always be people with no DLC. And if the vanilla WA starts feeling under-populated...**that's incentive to buy the DLC**.
    >"By keeping them seprate they force the DLC owners to have to go back into vanilla"
    By keeping them separate, they make the DLC into segregated little mini games that force you to play modes you hate. Which drives people out of the DLC and makes it unplayable for some owners. A Bespin WA playlist would integrate the DLC into the base game (for Bespin owners), which is what every DLC owner wants.
    >"Having a "Bespins owners only" menu would only further segregate players from each other."
    They're already segregated. Paid maps segregate people. Yes, Bespin WA will make Bespin more popular. Good. The DLC NEEDS to be more popular. It's setup terribly now. More people will buy, more players will stay in it.
    >"Then what happens when Death Star drops? Will they have their own menu too, separated from the rest?"
    Yes. They're already planned to have their own horrible forced-mode playlist. Give them a sub-menu instead.
    >"What if I bought DS but not Bespin? What rotation will I be in then?"
    If DS is large modes, then you can play vanilla WA, and DS WA, but not Bespin WA. This could encourage people to buy the Season Pass so they can go everywhere. And the menus should be changed to give you an idea of how full each area of the game is at that moment.
  • GivenumDaBiznes
    1044 posts Member
    edited July 2016

c6iT9U1.png

c6iT9U1.png

Well that is what sequels are for. Clearly it would be impossible to put all things related to all eras in one game even with an expansive base game + an expansive season pass. What is missing from the eras in one game can be use as content to add on to the next one to provide a new experience. For example if they made a mutli-era game with PT/ST/OT content, they could mostly refer to the current movies and the focal characters in the movies for this edition and with sequels delve into things like The Clone Wars series, Rebels, Rogue One, Episode 9 etc while obviously keeping the fan favorites heroes and maps from the major movies. I prefer that method instead of buying an entire game reporting to cover the entire trilogy when it's really missing most of the trilogy.

Of course they are going to have to change the way they operate DLC, maps, customization and heroes but I believe that this is something that will be worth it in the long run. Also even if the game had multiple eras, if it offered a season pass much like this game(1 planet = 4 maps, 2 guns etc) I won't buy that either. I like multiple per location but not at the cost of losing map/planet variety especially since Star Wars is known for expansive locations.

I see what you mean and it could definitely work if they do decide to go multi era. All im saying is, if they can promise to really delve into an era and include as much of that era as possible in the game for each game they are planning to make, then I would still be inclined for them to just focus on one era per game.

An example of the level of depth im talking about:

Clone Wars Era

Heroes:
    Qui Gon
    Obi Wan
    Anakin
    Padme
    Yoda
    Mace Windu
    (A good chunk of the Jedi council, basically any of the ones we saw fight or die in Ep 2 and Ep 3: Kit Fisto, Plo Kloon, Aayla, Ki Adi, Shaak, ect.)

MAYBE some notable Clone Troopers like Rex or Cody (But not before the ones mentioned above, I rather be able to customize my clone to look like one of them over losing a hero spot for a clone trooper)

Villians:
    Sidious
    Maul
    Dooku
    Grevious
    Asajj
    Jango
    Durge
    Savage Oppress
    Pre Vizsla
    Mother Talzin
    Cad Bane
    Aurra Sing
    Embo

As you can see both list comprise of 10+ heroes on each side (these are just ones I could think of or remember) spanning from the movies to the shows, this is the level of depth im asking for. If they carried this depth across the whole game then I feel one era would be fine. If they are sticking to 6 heroes and villians total in the base game then yea I guess multi era would be better since at least we would have variety. Really hope thats not the case though.
  • briandt75
    5610 posts Member

c6iT9U1.png

c6iT9U1.png

I see what you mean and it could definitely work if they do decide to go multi era. All im saying is, if they can promise to really delve into an era and include as much of that era as possible in the game for each game they are planning to make, then I would still be inclined for them to just focus on one era per game.

Clone Wars Era

Heroes:
    Qui Gon
    Obi Wan
    Anakin
    Padme
    Yoda
    Mace Windu
    (A good chunk of the Jedi council, basically any of the ones we saw fight or die in Ep 2 and Ep 3: Kit Fisto, Plo Kloon, Aayla, Ki Adi, Shaak, ect.)

MAYBE some notable Clone Troopers like Rex or Cody (But not before the ones mentioned above, I rather be able to customize my clone to look like one of them over losing a hero spot for a clone trooper)

Villians:
    Sidious
    Maul
    Dooku
    Grevious
    Asaaj
    Jango
    Durge
    Savage Oppress
    Pre Vizsla
    Mother Talzin
    Cad Bane
    Aurra Sing
    Embo

As you can see both list comprise of 10+ heroes on each side (these are just ones I could think of or remember) spanning from the movies to the shows, this is the level of depth im asking for. If they carried this depth across the whole game then I feel one era would be fine. If they are sticking to 6 heroes and villians total in the base game then yea I guess multi era would be better since at least we would have variety. Really hope thats not the case though.

I don't know where licensing falls into all of this, but I'vebsaid it before and I'll say it again. They should have been releasing the whole thing as packs. Exactly the way they did it with toys when ai was a kid. Three pack of hero characters - $5.99. Three pack of weapons - $2.99. Maps - Free. Then they could come up with some great packs, imagine Nein Nunb, Greedo, and that weird Wolfguy from the Cantina. Who wouldn't buy that? They'd make their money, and the maps are free, so no playlist.

Whomever works in Production at EA should be handed a broken lightsaber on his way out the door.

c6iT9U1.png

c6iT9U1.png

Clone Wars Era

Heroes:
    Qui Gon
    Obi Wan
    Anakin
    Padme
    Yoda
    Mace Windu

Villians:
    Sidious
    Maul
    Dooku
    Grevious
    Asaaj
    Jango
    Durge
    Savage Oppress
    Pre Vizsla
    Mother Talzin
    Cad Bane
    Aurra Sing
    Embo

I don't know where licensing falls into all of this, but I'vebsaid it before and I'll say it again. They should have been releasing the whole thing as packs. Exactly the way they did it with toys when ai was a kid. Three pack of hero characters - $5.99. Three pack of weapons - $2.99. Maps - Free. Then they could come up with some great packs, imagine Nein Nunb, Greedo, and that weird Wolfguy from the Cantina. Who wouldn't buy that? They'd make their money, and the maps are free, so no playlist.

Whomever works in Production at EA should be handed a broken lightsaber on his way out the door.

Lol I believe this:

33xzudg.jpg

Is the wolf you are looking for. I would definitely be open to "Pack Type DLCs" if it meant getting free maps. They could do all kinds, from Heroes and Starcard sets, to infantry skins and Hero outfits. Make a lot of small bundles people could buy for a few bucks; it would be a small entrance fee but a ton of options and variety which I feel would ultimately lead to more DLC sales. Free maps are possible, they just need to implement the right system for the rest of the paid DLCs.

c6iT9U1.png

c6iT9U1.png

Clone Wars Era

Heroes:
    Qui Gon
    Obi Wan
    Anakin
    Padme
    Yoda
    Mace Windu

Villians:
    Sidious
    Maul
    Dooku
    Grevious
    Asajj
    Jango
    Durge
    Savage Oppress
    Pre Vizsla
    Mother Talzin
    Cad Bane
    Aurra Sing
    Embo

Sorry to break it to you but even with a prequel game, what you are asking for is probably not going to happen even if we get a full on Clone Wars game. I am sure there are "technical issues/branding issues/creative issues/licencing issues that will invalidate most of the names on your list exactly like what was done in this game. I hate to be the pessimist here but I just don't see DICE going as in-depth into the era as everyone thinks they will with a clone wars. Just cause the content is there does not mean they will use it.

Either way I guess it's just a matter of opinion whether a multi-era game is better than a game that focuses on only one era and we will have to agree to disagree.

c6iT9U1.png

c6iT9U1.png

Clone Wars Era

Heroes:
    Qui Gon
    Obi Wan
    Anakin
    Padme
    Yoda
    Mace Windu

Villians:
    Sidious
    Maul
    Dooku
    Grevious
    Asajj
    Jango
    Durge
    Savage Oppress
    Pre Vizsla
    Mother Talzin
    Cad Bane
    Aurra Sing
    Embo

Sorry to break it to you but even with a prequel game, what you are asking for is probably not going to happen even if we get a full on Clone Wars game. I am sure there are "technical issues/branding issues/creative issues/licencing issues that will invalidate most of the names on your list exactly like what was done in this game. I hate to be the pessimist here but I just don't see DICE going as in-depth into the era as everyone thinks they will with a clone wars. Just cause the content is there does not mean they will use it.

Either way I guess it's just a matter of opinion whether a multi-era game is better than a game that focuses on only one era and we will have to agree to disagree.

Yea I always forget about the "...issues" that come into play and just think that since its all Star Wars then its all good. If they can't go all out in one era then I do agree a multi era would be best since it would allow for more creative options and freedom.
  • Gingie
    4317 posts Member
    Everyone goe watch the video BattlefrontUpdates just put out. Selling weapons and cosmetics through microtransactions is the best way to give free maps to people, as long as the weapons aren't too OP.
  • GivenumDaBiznes
    1044 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Gingie wrote: »
    Everyone goe watch the video BattlefrontUpdates just put out. Selling weapons and cosmetics through microtransactions is the best way to give free maps to people, as long as the weapons aren't too OP.

Just watched and he pretty much says word for word what I've been suggesting in this thread... I think hes been lurking on here :P but seriously that is awesome! I am glad to see a prominent SWBF youtuber also sharing these concerns with the DLC and spreading this issue to more of the community. Awesome job @BattlefrontUpdates with this video:

http://youtu.be/yjXq38zz-*****

Hopefully they will hear us and change their DLC model for the next game.

Post edited by GivenumDaBiznes on
  • briandt75
    5610 posts Member
    Another thing they should have done instead of releasing another whole game to have to buy is, release all the new content as DLC's. That way they would potentially never run out of content, ever. That precious clone war would be just a bunch of different dlc packs you'd get either seperately or as a package. They could even have had original stuff in it.
    Another thing they should have done instead of releasing another whole game to have to buy is, release all the new content as DLC's. That way they would potentially never run out of content, ever. That precious clone war would be just a bunch of different dlc packs you'd get either seperately or as a package. They could even have had original stuff in it.

YF3BQMj.jpg

PSN: N3GAT1VE_CR33P (Note: blank requests get deleted)

I've seen this idea and honestly, I wouldn't oppose it. As long as I don't have to buy like another 3 games then I'd be fine if they released a bunch of packs for this game from different eras. I don't think Battlefront will ever go this route because this is sort of a way to keep a game alive for a long time and then EA wouldn't be able to milk the franchise dry.
  • bump.
  • briandt75
    5610 posts Member
    edited July 2016

I've seen this idea and honestly, I wouldn't oppose it. As long as I don't have to buy like another 3 games then I'd be fine if they released a bunch of packs for this game from different eras. I don't think Battlefront will ever go this route because this is sort of a way to keep a game alive for a long time and then EA wouldn't be able to milk the franchise dry.

You're right, it would be more fair to the consumer. They'd have to make quite a bit more content , although they'd have a LOT of happy customers, and if they kept coming up with content, the revenue stream would never end. $7 for character packs. $4 for weapon packs. $4 for cards. Maps and skins for free. It really boils down to licensing and time involved to make the content.

I like the idea a lot, but not for this game. I would rather wait until they made the "Definitive" Battlefront game before trying that. Unfortunately like Free mentioned, it probably won't happen. Either way their future DLC in general should be in small packs.
  • bump.

;)