criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Lando does need a slight buff, but he isn't as bad as people think...

DarthJ
5839 posts Member
Just my personal opinion here. Obviously, everyone picked Lando when the Bespin DLC first arrived, as you would expect. Most people have been quick to write him off - and yes, I acknowledge a buff is needed to bring him to the standard of other heroes/villains, more based on his X8 and his trait more than anything.

However, I've stuck with picking him on various maps, to try him out in different situations and environments. A couple of things that I have noticed with him:

The X8 - yep, as said above, needs a buff on damage output. But in the meantime, he is nowhere near as bad as people make out. Accuracy is the main thing with Lando - land all of your shots from the X8 and you generally take a trooper down in a few shots, less with headshots. Miss, and you will lose a fair bit of health before recovering to finish someone off. Pinpoint accuracy is the key here.

Power shot - At first glance, I did write this off. I initially thought it would be similar to Han's lucky shot, but its a different kettle of fish completely. But, with extra use, it can prove useful against regular troops when charged up. The issue for me is his ambling around when this is active.

Shock trap - best ability for me - so easy in the big modes to lure troops in with this and take them down.

Disruptor - other than the delay on this, it hasn't gave me any issues. It just needs careful use.

Bottom line is though, he shouldn't be expected to be a hero where he rushes in and takes everyone on. Similar to Leia/Palpatine, he's effective mainly when with support from his own troops. In that way, he is good for supporting pushes for CP's/uplinks, and can easily get up to 15-20 killstreaks.

In HvV I've had mixed results with him - sneak around the map, avoid main fights, pick people/shots off and he is generally decent. I've managed to have some success against Vader with him, when throwing down shock traps.

What do people think - agree/disagree with this assessment? Does anyone else use him regularly now and have thoughts on how to handle him best?
41st Forum Fury Battalion Founder PSN: ibrajoker59

Replies

• Gingie
    4317 posts Member
    This X-8 can do a ton of damage once you level up the trait which is really easy, only buff he needs is a health buff.
  • Yeah I kinda dig Lando's X-8 now after using him a little more. Something so satisfying about it
  • DarthJ
    5839 posts Member
    Gingie wrote: »
    This X-8 can do a ton of damage once you level up the trait which is really easy, only buff he needs is a health buff.

Yeah I noticed that too - if accurate enough he can do real damage.

Completely forgot to mention his health! Thanks for bringing it up.
  • DarthJ
    5839 posts Member
    Yeah I kinda dig Lando's X-8 now after using him a little more. Something so satisfying about it

I use it a fair amount with regular troops now too - obviously more shots to take others down but it feels and looks good.
  • swaza79
    778 posts Member
    I got my Hutt contract kills pretty quickly with him. When he lays his trap he vanishes off the radar, so I planted the trap out back where it wouldn't get found and then flanked around to sneak up on the imps.

Gets melted a bit too easily though if he gets spotted. Not my first choice heroe
  • DarthJ
    5839 posts Member
    Yeah, I like to really use the new heroes a fair whack for a while to get used to play styles.

I think they have hit the nail on the head with Lando's 'gamble' theme.
  • Gingie
    4317 posts Member
    And one other thing, he needs a buff against other heroes, he barely stands a chance.
  • Sbroffage
    737 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    His X-8 is not even that weak (compared to the regular one which sucks), but his powers are garbage against heroes. The shock trap does almost no damage to heroes, the disrupt effect takes too much time to activate and the charged shot is really hard to do compared to Han's Lucky shot.

Imho I would do 3 small buffs to him for starters, and then see how it works:
    1) Make his X-8 do 34 min damage, not 30. It would mean 3 shots at range much like T-21/T-21b.
    2) Give him invulnerability during the activation time of his disruption.
    3) Make us able to turn off the charged shot like we can with middle star cards now, this can work with Leia's Trooper's Bane as well.
  • Gingie
    4317 posts Member
    Sbroffage wrote: »
    His X-8 is not even that weak (compared to the regular one which sucks), but his powers are garbage against heroes. The shock trap does almost no damage to heroes, the disrupt effect takes too much time to activate and the charged shot is really hard to do compared to Han's Lucky shot.

Imho I would do 3 small buffs to him for starters, and then see how it works:
    1) Make his X-8 do 34 min damage, not 30. It would mean 3 shots at range much like T-21/T-21b.
    2) Give him invulnerability during the activation time of his disruption.
    3) Make us able to turn off the charged shot like we can with middle star cards now, this can work with Leia's Trooper's Bane as well.

This could work.
  • Gingie wrote: »
    And one other thing, he needs a buff against other heroes, he barely stands a chance.

Yeah. Power Blast is really hard to hit with, and that's pretty much the only thing he can do to damage heroes. The other two are used to get away.
    PSN: Trooper8059
    "Remember: Your focus determines your reality."
    ezgif_5_a643336582.gif
  • Guillaume mentioned that Lando's power blast will get a slight homing to it in the next patch.
  • DarthJ wrote: »
    Gingie wrote: »

Yeah I noticed that too - if accurate enough he can do real damage.

Completely forgot to mention his health! Thanks for bringing it up.

Thats his critical hit luck trait. A weapon buff won't affect that, bc only a percentage of ahots are critical hits.

The gun just needs a slight buff especially since he currently struggles with even 2v1 situations.

Once he gets buffed, I will probably use him.
  • Worst hero in the game for HvV. Even trying to stay as a support character I kept getting melted against all of them. If he had Greedo's speed, it might be easier to survive a fight you're losing.....but I find he's not all that fun to play. Again, I've never been able to play with him on Sabotage...this is only my experience in HvV. Now that I have my 15 kills for the Contract, I won't likely play as him unless they buff him. Too bad, I love his emotes and cape.
  • DarthJ
    5839 posts Member
    Worst hero in the game for HvV. Even trying to stay as a support character I kept getting melted against all of them. If he had Greedo's speed, it might be easier to survive a fight you're losing.....but I find he's not all that fun to play. Again, I've never been able to play with him on Sabotage...this is only my experience in HvV. Now that I have my 15 kills for the Contract, I won't likely play as him unless they buff him. Too bad, I love his emotes and cape.

Try him out on supremacy, feels a lot better.
  • Gingie
    4317 posts Member
    DarthJ wrote: »
    Worst hero in the game for HvV. Even trying to stay as a support character I kept getting melted against all of them. If he had Greedo's speed, it might be easier to survive a fight you're losing.....but I find he's not all that fun to play. Again, I've never been able to play with him on Sabotage...this is only my experience in HvV. Now that I have my 15 kills for the Contract, I won't likely play as him unless they buff him. Too bad, I love his emotes and cape.

Try him out on supremacy, feels a lot better.

Yeah, against infantry he's great, against heroes, not so much.
  • I use Lando all the time, and every time I'm heroes in HvV (Sorry, but I like him!) I've also used him in other situations. I've actually killed all the villains myself a few times in HvV.
    Needed Changes:

Health: Small increase. He's not Han, don't charge! Han is offensive, Lando is defensive. There's a difference between defensive and cowardly.

X-8 Sniper: Increased range. Maybe a small damage increase, but his trait can solve that.

Power Shot: Need to be able to one-shot grunts at level 1 or 2 like trooper bane, no speed decrease, be able to turn off.

Disruption: No activation time. (The normal one should instead, duh!)

Shocking Trap: Nothing really, except I would like to see what it looks like to enemies.

I think they did a nice job of giving Lando a different play-style (unlike Dengar, who I am very confused with). I play him defensively both in Supremacy and HvV. Unlike Nien, he isn't a camper. Since he can disappear from the scanner, I am constantly moving and flanking.