criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
November Community Calendar
Triple XP Event

Map editor

gistech
131 posts Member
edited July 2016
First off, I know this probably won't get too many people buzzing. I also know that, should a dev actually respond to this, it will be a 'it's too advanced' or 'it only works on our PCs' response.

What this video shows is the map development application for Star Wars Battlefront, creating both an Endor and Tatooine map. I know many people have asked for map editors for the Battlefield series before and the response has been the aforementioned response. So let me be absolutely clear: if DICE have done their homework on the past of the Battlefront franchise, they are fully-aware that there is a map editor for the first two games. They must also be fully aware that it is still being used to this day. What they may NOT be fully aware of, is the fact that Pandemic themselves once said the exact same thing as DICE is now regarding a map editor: it's too advanced. It'll only work on Pandemic computers.

Well, that was 100% proven to be wrong, and to this day, you still have people creating maps, even for the first game (I suggest looking up the works of Sereja if you still have a copy of the first game - his maps are very innovative and have some very creative things in them). They're even doing things with it that were not originally designed for the games - such as seamless ground-to-space, something that was supposed to be in the Free Radical Battlefront game. I obviously have 0% knowledge of how DICE's map editor works, but it looks a lot like how Zero Editor, the Pandemic SWBF map editor, operates.

I 100% believe this could be a way of ensuring that, alongside Instant Action, this game has longevity that would see sales, particularly on PC, rise as people create their own content. You could even create a system whereby PC builders submit their maps to a server and these are made available across all platforms (something a Battlefront game has not done before, but inspired by Doom's Snapmap being cross-platform compatible).

Replies

• YES, I NEED THIS NOW!!!
    But... y tho?
  • zoodc
    1958 posts Member
    That would be awesome. Lot's of games have level editors, I think Infamous 2 had a good one. You can choose a section of the city and then add characters, vehicles, objects, etc. GTA 5 also has a similar one. Creating an entire map sounds amazing.
  • Far Cry has the best map editor I've seen. Works on all platforms.

Skate 3 nailed it too.

Never gonna happen here unfortunately.
  • briandt75
    5610 posts Member
    Yeahhhhh... I doubt that the license holders are gonna say "go ahead and do what you want with our IP".
    41st Forum Fury Battalion Member
  • leftweet
    2216 posts Member
    briandt75 wrote: »
    Yeahhhhh... I doubt that the license holders are gonna say "go ahead and do what you want with our IP".

As cool as a level editor would be, I think this would be the biggest hurdle, unfortunately.
    I write things for The Star Wars Game Outpost
  • briandt75
    5610 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Disney isn't known for letting other people play with they're toys. Irony.
    41st Forum Fury Battalion Member
  • gistech
    131 posts Member
    I believe their recently-updated Star Wars EULAs for past games - and even some recent ones - allow user created content.
  • That would be terrific. It would change everything about how people rate this game. It would skyrocket in popularity. Sadly, I doubt it will happen though. It would have already happened if they planned to let it happen at all. The only hope is, once they have done all they plan to do with this game, at that point they may choose to let others make mods and maps. But don't hold your breathe.
  • briandt75 wrote: »
    Disney isn't known for letting other people play with they're toys. Irony.

True, dont get your hopes up. Wouldnt look good either if people were making more free map packs than what devs can produce.
  • gistech
    131 posts Member
    The difference between devs and mod map makers is a matter of time. It is not easy to make a map in the first place. Devs have a limited amount of time to get a map finished and out there, whereas a mod map maker can take as long as they need to before releasing a map. So yes, map makers can effectively release more maps than devs, but given they're often working on their own and have no time limit, custom maps would actually take longer to come out.

Plus it would be another way of honouring the legacy of Battlefronts past.
  • People would play on all those extra free maps and wouldnt want to move to the next game as much. If people got together, there would be a massive amount of maps available. Yeah sp, but still.
  • gistech
    131 posts Member
    I disagree. There will be features in the next game that are not in the first for sure that would be an enticement. It was the same for the original game. People said the ability to make maps in the first game would diminish the sales of the second, yet the second introduced enough to be an enticement away from SWBF1 to SWBF2.
  • If they did multiple eras in the next Battlefront then there wouldnt be a problem.
  • gistech
    131 posts Member
    I'm fairly sure they are putting in the First Order/Resistance War era. Don't know about Clone Wars but that was demanded almost as much as Instant Action. If they did, a map editor for the first game is not going to harm the second game, in my view.
  • Yeah probably wont. Still, building OT stuff like more of Bespin, Yavin 4, Executor super star destroyer's interior and other things would be most epic.
  • gistech
    131 posts Member
    I would personally love to recreate some of the original Battlefront maps in the new game (though with Hoth I'd probably make it resemble the SWBF3 version of Echo base because the original on;ly had long, empty hallways passing for Echo Base)
  • I'd love this. I did a few popular maps for bf2 back in the game toast days (geonosis offensive simulator) and I'd love to get hold of this engine!
  • gistech
    131 posts Member
    Stager00 wrote: »
    I'd love this. I did a few popular maps for bf2 back in the game toast days (geonosis offensive simulator) and I'd love to get hold of this engine!

Gametoast is still very much alive, with quite a few interesting projects.
  • Stager00
    4 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Really? I'll have to check that out. I thought they were gone. My maps were like 10 years ago. Lol
  • gistech
    131 posts Member
    Nope. Filefront went ages ago but Gametoast is still very much around and active.
  • Gingie
    4317 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    I think the problem might be that Disney wouldn't like people messing around with their property.
  • gistech
    131 posts Member
    People already do so with older games. Disney has okayed it with the recent changes to the EULAs of many games (curiously, the Star Wars Commander mobile game also carries the same user-created-content clause as the older games).

I do know Disney are famously protective of their properties, but everything they've done with Star Wars so far is in the spirit of what was, before they acquired the license.
  • jason_kal
    1151 posts Member
    This would be so cool. Especially if you could play them in Private MP Matches. One problem, I don't remember if a DICEr said this, or it was speculation, but the map editor may use tools that DICE doesn't own and cannot release publicly.
  • TheChewbaccabrah007_
    485 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    It would be awesome.it's not like there's an impossible amount of objects/items to add.
    I see most of the same stuff on mostly every map. (Containers/debris,explosive barrels,parts of vehicles,rocks,trees,etc.)if only the devs took a page out of the far cry book.starwars battlefront with map editor would be a legendary combo.perhaps,my dream game.
  • Quizolio
    3221 posts Member
    Something akin to Doom's SnapMap feature would be pretty cool.
    "A thing called grammar needs a buff."
    - tankertoad
  • would be awesome, too bad it most likely won't happen :(
  • gistech
    131 posts Member
    I spoke to DICE at Star Wars Celebration today. I did bring up a map editor. I expressed my interest in modding for the first game and stated that I'm sure it would be a good thing if players could create their own maps. I suggested that, as this would prove difficult to implement in multiplayer, they could make a map editor that allows us to create new maps in Missions and Skirmishes. Again, the answer was that this would be a good idea but it would be up to demand.

In other words, as far as a map editor goes: the ball is in our court on this one.
  • I used to make some of the coolest maps for Battlefield 1942... I miss map creation. :(
  • A map editor would keep Battlefront II alive for a long time!
    Video games, music and movies for life!