criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Finally some official numbers on the player base!

Prev1
Straywalker
1034 posts Member
edited August 2016
Thanks to @leftweet and his new blog swgameoutpost (without it at least I would have missed this :smile: ), we now have some official player base numbers. EA announces 6.6 million unique players between April and June 2016.

:smile:
Playstation 4 fun :p Proud member of the 3PO community

Replies

• Yeah, the game still doomed and dead for someone. LOL. Good numbers. Would like to know approximate numbers on every platform. But even general number is fine.
    Need a buddy? Check Buddy List.
  • Not the exact numbers however, EA is still keeping that hidden, and they really are being shady with their numbers. It's not marking consistent players, but rather the individual players that have played in total during that period.

For example, you can have a guy who just played one match of MP and never played the game again. He fits within that 6.6 million.
    PSN: Trooper8059
    "Remember: Your focus determines your reality."
    ezgif_5_a643336582.gif
  • Not the exact numbers however, EA is still keeping that hidden, and they really are being shady with their numbers. It's not marking consistent players, but rather the individual players that have played in total during that period.

For example, you can have a guy who just played one match of MP and never played the game again. He fits within that 6.6 million.

So? This guy bought the game and played it. He fits a playerbase.
  • Trooper8059
    10197 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Not the exact numbers however, EA is still keeping that hidden, and they really are being shady with their numbers. It's not marking consistent players, but rather the individual players that have played in total during that period.

I'm just saying, the numbers that we were given are not the actual playerbase some players might be looking for.
    PSN: Trooper8059
    "Remember: Your focus determines your reality."
    ezgif_5_a643336582.gif
  • April to June is 3 months. 3 months has 90 days. 90 days has 2160 hours. 6.6 million divided by 2160 hours equals 3056 people. Meaning on average SWBattlefront had just over 3000 every hour. That is an incredibly sad number and it makes me want to cry. It is lower than the PC population we get on SWBstats (35,000).
  • Peepzilla
    759 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    That's still a strong number of unique log-ins, especially under the scrutiny most forum posters put on this game.

I'm just saying, the numbers that we were given are not the actual playerbase some players might be looking for.

Just out of curiosity, how would you describe a player that would fit into a playerbase calculation?
  • April to June is 3 months. 3 months has 90 days. 90 days has 2160 hours. 6.6 million divided by 2160 hours equals 3056 people. Meaning on average SWBattlefront had just over 3000 every hour. That is an incredibly sad number and it makes me want to cry. It is lower than the PC population we get on SWBstats (35,000).

It's a 3000 unique players every hour. IMO it's pretty impressive number.
    Not the exact numbers however, EA is still keeping that hidden, and they really are being shady with their numbers. It's not marking consistent players, but rather the individual players that have played in total during that period.

Well, this is why they didn't gave us exact number like 6 639 188 unique logins. Approximately 6.6 mil.
  • I'm not sure what they mean exactly by "unique players"

Different players. It's not total log-ins. It's amount of log-ins by different players.
  • Strogg1980
    2559 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    6.6 "players over the course of 3 months"

Same **** as when they said to us that 14 million copies were "shipped", not sold.....yeah not seeing SWBF anywhere on some of the best selling game lists of all time (and games that sell around that much are included on the lists).....EA just cant give a straight answer. Love it

Yep. But im sure the apologists on here that want to believe this game really has that many players on average will defend it.

Edit- nvm saw that post above me. Hahaha figured EA would try and turn something like that into a positive.

@SmokyCashew01 Fret not, mate. By your math - BF had 3000 UNIQUE players every hour. The stats make no mention of how frequently those players play and for how long. To @Trooper8059 's point, someone could have logged in, played a game, and left for the next three months, which is what your number represents. We have no idea how many of those 6 million players play more than once every three months and how long they play for when they do login.

To what @Straywalker is hinting at - these are unique players across the three platforms and represent the entirety of the Battlefront player base - awesome! But, it doesn't get us to @Trooper8059 's question around the size of his 'player base', where I think he means 'someone who plays at least X hours over Y days'. We'd clearly need more info than we have to discern that.
  • Strogg1980 wrote: »
    6.6 "players over the course of 3 months"

Same **** as when they said to us that 14 million copies were "shipped", not sold.....yeah not seeing SWBF anywhere on some of the best selling game lists of all time (and games that sell around that much are included on the lists).....EA just cant give a straight answer. Love it

Yep. But im sure the apologists on here that want to believe this game really has that many players on average will defend it.

Edit- nvm saw that post above me. Hahaha figured EA would try and turn something like that into a positive.

After Titanfall fiasco I'm really glad to see such huge numbers. If you sum all three platforms is really possible to get that number. Tho doomsayers are still here.

Different players. It's not total log-ins. It's amount of log-ins by different players.

Oh that I'm aware of. It just sounds a bit vague. I can believe it's 6 million. Though what is the average amount of players per day? They didn't really give a number on that.
  • Anoh
    8379 posts Member
    I must not be playing the same game, where the 6.6 million at when the game "Settling for empty games" in Outer Rim HvV?
    Editor/Cinematographer - Anoh is pronounced: AhNo.

@SmokyCashew01 Fret not, mate. By your math - BF had 3000 UNIQUE players every hour. The stats make no mention of how frequently those players play and for how long. To @Trooper8059 's point, someone could have logged in, played a game, and left for the next three months, which is what your number represents. We have no idea how many of those 6 million players play more than once every three months and how long they play for when they do login.

To what @Straywalker is hinting at - these are unique players across the three platforms and represent the entirety of the Battlefront player base - awesome! But, it doesn't get us to @Trooper8059 's question around the size of his 'player base', where I think he means 'someone who plays at least X hours over Y days'. We'd clearly need more info than we have to discern that.

Yes that's why (if you were paying attention) I said on AVERAGE. This means I haven't taken all factors into consideration and got an answer based on estimation. Because of this, my math is not flawed at all.
  • Straywalker
    1034 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    April to June is 3 months. 3 months has 90 days. 90 days has 2160 hours. 6.6 million divided by 2160 hours equals 3056 people. Meaning on average SWBattlefront had just over 3000 every hour. That is an incredibly sad number and it makes me want to cry. It is lower than the PC population we get on SWBstats (35,000).

SWBStats counts some kind of fictive active player through an algorithm based on something they won´t tell us. They also collect their numbers every five minutes which don´t tell us anything about how many new players are in that number or for how long people are playing. Swbstat is no longer present at the p-stat network website.

But your math.... if we say that everyone of these players just played for 15 minutes when they logged in and then never again played the game in these three month it still looks kinda good. 3000 times 15 minutes = 45000 minutes played per hour... with 6.6 million playing just 15 minutes for three month that would be 99 million minutes played (or 1.65 million hours)... Still pretty good numbers for a game that so many began categorise as "Dead" already in januar.

But I really don´t think the majority plays for only 15 minutes in three month.

SWBStats counts some kind of fictive active player through an algorithm based on something they won´t tell us. They also collect their numbers every five minutes which don´t tell us anything about how many new players are in that number or for how long people are playing. Swbstat is no longer present at the p-stat network website.

But your math.... if we say that everyone of these players just played for 15 minutes when they logged in and then never again played the game in these three month it still looks kinda good. 3000 times 15 minutes = 45000 minutes played per hour... with 6.6 million playing just 15 minutes for three month that would be 99 million minutes played (or 1.65 million hours)... Still pretty good numbers for a game that so many began categorise as "Dead" already in januar.

People saying the game is dead/doomed/put anything you like here/etc. since beta. Numbers proove they are wrong. Now they will call everyone who defending game fanboys/blind fools/put anything you like here/etc. because this numbers proove nothing and the game dead/doomed... well, you got it. Nothing new.

People saying the game is dead/doomed/put anything you like here/etc. since beta. Numbers proove they are wrong. Now they will call everyone who defending game fanboys/blind fools/put anything you like here/etc. because this numbers proove nothing and the game dead/doomed... well, you got it. Nothing new.

I can prove it right now. Log in to the game and see how long it takes you to find a Heroes v Villains match in Goazan Badlands. Go ahead I'll wait. With 6.6 million playing it should be instantaneous. If not, the numbers are wrong. Simple math.
  • AshySamurai
    1997 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    ForceGhost wrote: »
    April to June is 3 months. 3 months has 90 days. 90 days has 2160 hours. 6.6 million divided by 2160 hours equals 3056 people. Meaning on average SWBattlefront had just over 3000 every hour. That is an incredibly sad number and it makes me want to cry. It is lower than the PC population we get on SWBstats (35,000).

I can prove it right now. Log in to the game and see how long it takes you to find a Heroes v Villains match in Goazan Badlands. Go ahead I'll wait. With 6.6 million playing it should be instantaneous. If not, the numbers are wrong. Simple math.

I can proove that for you. Go to Australia and try to find any game. On any map. Go ahead I'll wait. With 6.6 million playing it should be instantaneous. If not, the numbers are wrong. Simple math. Right?
  • GRDNANGL172
    5513 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    All I know is I recognize most of the people who are in the fighter squadron games on a regular basis. From what I see on a daily basis the pool isn't so big.

EA VERSION
    many-laps-olympic-sized-pool-equal-mile_571fa71d8bdbe639.jpg?domain=cx.aos.ask.com

ACTUAL PLAYERBASE
    img48m1.jpg

Since when have advertisements from companies been honest?
    deaf7c552ad3a07474dacb292c4035f1.jpg

• Anoh
    8379 posts Member
    All I know is I recognize most of the people who are in the fighter squadron games on a regular basis. From what I see on a daily basis the pool isn't so big.

EA VERSION
    many-laps-olympic-sized-pool-equal-mile_571fa71d8bdbe639.jpg?domain=cx.aos.ask.com

ACTUAL PLAYERBASE
    img48m1.jpg

Absolutely, I play against the same randoms very often in VANILLA HvV! Where the 6.6 million at?! :joy:
    Editor/Cinematographer - Anoh is pronounced: AhNo.
  • If it were anywhere near that number we wouldn't be seeing the same people again and again. It just doesn't make sense.
  • If it were anywhere near that number we wouldn't be seeing the same people again and again. It just doesn't make sense.

Are you implying a deliberate falsification from EA here? :smile: I don´t believe that.

Could it be that you´re server is filled with people in your area and that not so many of them play FS? maybe another area have more FS players? I cannot speak for anyone but myself, but I don´t recognise people ingame except my friends.

rendition1.img.jpg

• GRDNANGL172
    5513 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    After all, companies never exaggerate anything to appease shareholders. What was I thinking? You have shown me the light!

PS...
    My clan has players from all over the world, and they see the exact same thing. If the numbers are so awesome, then why do we need a playlist to keep games populated even though the vast majority hates it? Think Mcfly, Think!
    KRAMRm3.gifM
  • Dotty
    2026 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    After all, companies never exaggerate anything to appease shareholders. What was I thinking? You have shown me the light!

PS...
    My clan has players from all over the world, and they see the exact same thing. If the numbers are so awesome, then why do we need a playlist to keep games populated even though the vast majority hates it? Think Mcfly, Think!
    KRAMRm3.gifM
    Think Mcfly think... You say they all see the same players in FS but you dont say what time of day or what Regions they are playing in or from.

I can play FS on X1 and see random players everytime. I usually play at this time of day in the US. Even when I play during "Primetime" I will usually see different players in each game.

• All hours of the day from all areas of US. UK and AUS too. But you weren't looking for that information, just to have an argument. Go for it MTB, I made my point and am quite satisfied. I only drop in now and then, but I don't do the back and forth bickering that this forum is famous for any longer. It is simply a waste of time.
  • Dotty
    2026 posts Member
    All hours of the day from all areas of US. UK and AUS too. But you weren't looking for that information, just to have an argument. Go for it MTB, I made my point and am quite satisfied. I only drop in now and then, but I don't do the back and forth bickering that this forum is famous for any longer. It is simply a waste of time.
    More harrassment? lol I thought you were going to a "better forum"?

If you dont do back and forth bickering that this forum is famous for, why are you posting insulting gifs when someone disagrees with you.

Think Mcfly think, its common sense that you would see the same players if you only play at certain times of day or in the same region.

What you implied is that its like that for everyone at all hours of the day. It seems youre exaggerating more than the company you say does the same....

• I bet EA wish they didn't harp on about "over 14 million copies shipped". That statement should be changed to "over 7.4 million copies returned or traded in.
  • Ristardo wrote: »
    I bet EA wish they didn't harp on about "over 14 million copies shipped". That statement should be changed to "over 7.4 million copies returned or traded in.

Not true. I didn't played for half a year. I bought it at launch and played only a month. So I want included in previous statistics. But I still own the game.
  • killerewok
    258 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    You see the same people, because you play around the same time as those people do. You can't find X map on X mode, because none of the servers with room happen to be playing that map the moment you are looking for it. If you can't find games in your country/platform, maybe your country/platform isn't the largest player base. This "manipulating the facts to prove your point" works both ways. Personally, I find games instantly on NA PS4, and I play late at night/morning (4am EST to about 9am) even during the school year. That is telling to me, because I rarely find MP games during that time on any other game I play.

Do I think there are 6 million people playing at all times? Of course not, but the game is certainly still very alive and active.
  • killerewok wrote: »
    You see the same people, because you play around the same time as those people do. You can't find X map on X mode, because none of the servers with room happen to be playing that map the moment you are looking for it. If you can't find games in your country/platform, maybe your country/platform isn't the largest player base. This "manipulating the facts to prove your point" works both ways. Personally, I find games instantly on NA PS4, and I play late at night/morning (4am EST to about 9am) even during the school year. That is telling to me, because I rarely find MP games during that time on any other game I play.

Do I think there are 6 million people playing at all times? Of course not, but the game is certainly still very alive and active.

For doomsayers the game always dead and was doomed since first trailer.
  • Ristardo wrote: »
    I bet EA wish they didn't harp on about "over 14 million copies shipped". That statement should be changed to "over 7.4 million copies returned or traded in.

Actually 7 or 8 million is probly closer to the actual number actually sold. Its possibly they did have 14 million.....but half of those are just shipped to retailers and sitting there. Thu why their being sly about it and saying "shipped" not "sold"

14 million should be up there on best games ever sold lists, especially for a star wars game, but its not if you search wikis or best selling game lists online,nowhere to be found.

Not to mention the fact that fallout 4 beats Battlefront out in best selling games of 2015 and it has a total of 12 million units sold.

As other users have said 6 million is possible....but its more than likely ppl who log in see if anythings changed, or played for a little bit.

But nearly 6 million constantly actuve users???? Ehhhhh doubtful.
  • Dotty
    2026 posts Member
    Strogg1980 wrote: »
    Ristardo wrote: »

As other users have said 6 million is possible....but its more than likely ppl who log in see if anythings changed, or played for a little bit.

Thats 6.6 milliion New users. New players that just got the game. How can it be people that login to see if things changed if its referring to New/Unique users?

I wonder how many New users there were in SWBF2 after 9 months?
    I wonder how many consecutive users were online and playing in SWB2 afte 9 months?

Id say these numbers blow SWBF2 out of the water.....

• Gingie
    4317 posts Member

You do know that Sledgehammer confirmed that site to be false, right?
  • Dotty wrote: »
    Strogg1980 wrote: »
    Ristardo wrote: »

Thats 6.6 milliion New users. New players that just got the game. How can it be people that login to see if things changed if its referring to New/Unique users?

I wonder how many New users there were in SWBF2 after 9 months?
    I wonder how many consecutive users were online and playing in SWB2 afte 9 months?

Id say these numbers blow SWBF2 out of the water.....

Why you saying new? No one talking about new players.

Are you implying a deliberate falsification from EA here? :smile: I don´t believe that.

Could it be that you´re server is filled with people in your area and that not so many of them play FS? maybe another area have more FS players? I cannot speak for anyone but myself, but I don´t recognise people ingame except my friends.

rendition1.img.jpg

I'd say around half the unique players compared to BF4 checks out. I can imagine though, that more people play BF4 on a regular basis, so it probably has more than double the active playerbase than SWBF has for example.
    "My name is ThePronato, if anyone can fix my name, you're the real MVP"
  • Dotty
    2026 posts Member
    Thanks to @leftweet and his new blog swgameoutpost (without it at least I would have missed this :smile: ), we now have some official player base numbers. EA announces 6.6 million unique players between April and June 2016.

Ashy, do you see that word unique in the link? Thats new users, not players online at that moment.

• Dotty wrote: »

Ashy, do you see that word unique in the link? Thats new users, not players online at that moment.

Unique != new. It's the total amount of players who logged into the game in last 3 months.
  • Dotty
    2026 posts Member
    Dotty wrote: »

Unique != new. It's the total amount of players who logged into the game in last 3 months.
    I dont see anywhere that its the total number of users(unless I missed that in all the random insulting gif spam...)

My interpretation is new players that havent played Battlefront before.

• Mcap
    873 posts Member
    All I know is I see the many of the same players on a regular basis (ps4). Enough to remember their names. I can't imagine how that's even possible with millions of people playing. If there was a server browser, I'd expect that. But the way things are now the community does not feel big to me at all. And we're only 2 of 4 DLC in, not even a full year yet.
  • Gingie
    4317 posts Member

I dont see anywhere that its the total number of users(unless I missed that in all the random insulting gif spam...)

My interpretation is new players that havent played Battlefront before.

I was told it means different players, not the same ones logging in over and over again.
  • Dotty
    2026 posts Member
    Mcap wrote: »
    All I know is I see the many of the same players on a regular basis (ps4). Enough to remember their names. I can't imagine how that's even possible with millions of people playing. If there was a server browser, I'd expect that. But the way things are now the community does not feel big to me at all. And we're only 2 of 4 DLC in, not even a full year yet.
    It seems people forget that Battlefront is a niche genre. Battlefield and CoD are generic military shooters that appeal to a broader audience of shooter gamers.

• Anoh wrote: »

EA VERSION

ACTUAL PLAYERBASE
    img48m1.jpg

Absolutely, I play against the same randoms very often in VANILLA HvV! Where the 6.6 million at?! :joy:

They're playing a fun mode lol

Yes that's why (if you were paying attention) I said on AVERAGE. This means I haven't taken all factors into consideration and got an answer based on estimation. Because of this, my math is not flawed at all.

@SmokyCashew01 I was paying attention. I didn't say your math was flawed. I implied your logic was.
  • JDtheHutt
    8 posts Member
    edited August 2016

The most important idea is that it does not suggest that there is an average of 3,000 players per hour. There is no way to infer that from the unique player count. There could be millions playing on average per hour or a few thousand. Theoretically, the 35,000 SWBstats number could be accurate.

If you play on Monday for the first time, you're a unique user. If you play gain on Tuesday, you don't "count" in that unique user total. In fact, you could have 6.6 million players every hour constantly for three months or 6.6 million who play once, never return, and still get that number. It tells you zero about participants per hour on average except that it doesn't exceed 6.6 million.
  • Wallofman
    1105 posts Member
    Anoh wrote: »
    I must not be playing the same game, where the 6.6 million at when the game "Settling for empty games" in Outer Rim HvV?

maybe the problem is you are playing HvV in outer rim. I never have to wait for players in any 20v20 mode, or Bespin. At least play HvV on vanilla maps, no waiting there either,
  • thedrum808
    1713 posts Member
    edited August 2016

3000 unique people every hour. That's only if people only log in once. Assume the average player logs in 15 times between April and June - that's 45,000 every hour. And I think 15 is low (estimate I made up).

EDIT: Math is wrong, it's even higher. Not accounting correctly for players playing at average moment.
  • TheProanto wrote: »
    If it were anywhere near that number we wouldn't be seeing the same people again and again. It just doesn't make sense.

rendition1.img.jpg

I'd say around half the unique players compared to BF4 checks out. I can imagine though, that more people play BF4 on a regular basis, so it probably has more than double the active playerbase than SWBF has for example.

Actually that 11 million is counting hardline too. Even though hardline is dead on pc it means the number is slightly inflated. By how much I don't know as I'm unsure of the hardline console population. But if you assume it had half the numbers of battlefront (so 3 million hardline players) that puts BF4 at around 8 million.
  • If I wanted to know the player count of battlefront I always took a look at this site here: http://swbstats.com/
    But since people here are saying that EA has been secret with their numbers, does this mean that this site isn't real? Or am I not quite grasping something here?