criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Suggestion to charge cards

Seems like everyone has an issue with certain star cards. Some people hate explosive shot, some hate adrenaline stim, some hate disruption, some hate personal shield. How about this. Why not limit the number of charges that can be used in one match? Limit it to 5 charges, and you can collect charges as you play the map? It prevents people from spamming any one charge card and will force you to use your charges wisely, require more strategy. Just a thought.

Replies

• But...but....how else would I get kills?
    tumblr_mvemcyarmn1rslphyo1_400.gif
  • Gingie
    4317 posts Member
    Hmmm, sounds like an interesting idea, but I'm not so sure it would work out very well.
  • Gingie wrote: »
    Hmmm, sounds like an interesting idea, but I'm not so sure it would work out very well.

I think it could work, there would just be WAY too many people on here complaining about it. As CesarNotCaeser put it, people would see it as hurting their K/D ratio.
  • Prep768
    2248 posts Member
    But...but....how else would I get kills?

Ha Hue ha ha hue :)

Like your thinking OP but if someone wants to spend 1700 credits on 25 (? not sure I don't buy them) temporary advantages then go for it. Margery will be waiting...........
    270?cb=20151117210848.
    PSN Prep768
    Yes @PrepJnr - I am your father, NOW DO YOUR HOMEWORK!!!
  • Gingie
    4317 posts Member
    Wallofman wrote: »
    Gingie wrote: »

I think it could work, there would just be WAY too many people on here complaining about it.

That's what I'm afraid will happen, people will complain and then the devs will change it. This is a good idea, and I hope it'll happen, just have a bad feeling a ton of people are gonna rage about it.
  • Gingie
    4317 posts Member
    thiago2103 wrote: »
    So, you suggesting a good way for dice to balance their game? HAHAHAHA, you wish, this will never happen. They don't have any idea what game balance is.

Fixed. there were just so many things wrong I couldn't help myself.
  • KRISXR
    253 posts Member
    Not a bad idea and a simple one to implement. I don't have a problem with card spam, but it would add balance for those who don't have 999 charges to spam every match. I'm not really sure if it would change the feel of individual matches. Maybe it would be better, maybe it would feel the same. It would definitely add discipline to card use.
  • Prep768 wrote: »
    But...but....how else would I get kills?

Ha Hue ha ha hue :)

Like your thinking OP but if someone wants to spend 1700 credits on 25 (? not sure I don't buy them) temporary advantages then go for it. Margery will be waiting...........
    270?cb=20151117210848.

I understand the idea of "hey i earned these credits let me spend them how I want", and to a point I agree with it. For the most part I can deal with the card spammers. But thought this would be a great way to balance things out.
  • bfloo
    14035 posts Member
    Most of us have 99+ charges now because we have hundreds of thousand credits and nothing to spend them on.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• bfloo wrote: »
    Most of us have 99+ charges now because we have hundreds of thousand credits and nothing to spend them on.

and you can still buy them, but you can only take a limited number into each match. If you have 99 charges, then when the next match starts your card gets refilled from those 99,.
  • Dotty
    2026 posts Member
    Seems like everyone has an issue with certain star cards. Some people hate explosive shot, some hate adrenaline stim, some hate disruption, some hate personal shield. How about this. Why not limit the number of charges that can be used in one match? Limit it to 5 charges, and you can collect charges as you play the map? It prevents people from spamming any one charge card and will force you to use your charges wisely, require more strategy. Just a thought.
    Looks like an excellent idea... for Private Matches. Only a few people ever complain about this issue. Mainly players on this forum.

It would be good for competitive players but not for general players.

• LysdexicsUntied
    2034 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    After my initial "Wow I would hate this" reaction, I realised just how effective this could be. There is one thing that would have to be counted for, though: Different limits for different cards. I might need to explain

Explosive shot: I may consider it Satan's gift to this game, but I think I at least know what its intended use was when being designed - for taking on highly-packed groups that not even the best of us could be certain of beating. The problem with the card is that it is now basically an automatic bias for whoever uses it, and so it is simply used in one-on-ones, as a cheap way of winning without the skill that should be involved.

So, how would your suggestion balance this out? Putting a limit of, say, 8 uses in a game on ES means you CAN NOT just walk around with it constantly loaded, which 75% guarantees success in CQC. Or, rather you could - but only 8 times.

Scan Pulse: This is the difference I mean - scan pulse (which I will admit is my default charge card, but I still think my point is valid) IS a strategic card. It already requires tactics and discipline to be used effectively. If you simply use it every time it is available (something that has no disadvantages with ES) then when you actually NEED it, it won't be available. So the limit for scan pulses per match should be significantly higher than explosive shots - say around 15 or even a bit higher.

Essentially, the longer a card's usefulness lasts after being activated, the fewer should be allowed. ES can almost be perma-loaded right now, so it has strict limit. Scan pulse really is only useful for a one or two of its pulses, after that it makes little difference (after the first time seeing them on the pulse, you know pretty much where they are going), so it has a more relaxed limit. The other cards would also have tailored limits.

I agree with you, I feel like this could be a seriously effective balance that would be easier to implement.
    All I am surrounded by is fear... and dead men.
  • Dotty
    2026 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Battlefront was marketed towards Casual gamers, not Elite tryhards... Try asking Dice to add this as a Harcore Competitive mode instead of asking to limit general play @Wallofman.
    Dotty wrote: »
    Looks like an excellent idea... for Private Matches. Only a few people ever complain about this issue. Mainly players on this forum.

• I don't know ... it would be like having limited bullets or star cards. Imagine just being able to use your jump pack 5 times or your grenade 5 times. It just doesn't seem right. Charge cards don't bug me much anyways, they seem to be situational anyways, and technically they are already limited by the number of charges they have in addition to the regular cool down. Charge cards are far more limited then the other cards. And people spam everything in this game not just charge cards, so yeah...
  • Joonlar
    1154 posts Member
    +! +1

Great idea for balance

• Dotty
    2026 posts Member
    Joonlar wrote: »
    +! +1

Great idea for balance
    How is it good for balance? The Op didnt ask that regular star cards be limited to 5 per match, just charged cards. How would this idea limit me from using my Thermal Detonator, Ion Grenade or Ion Torpedo? It wont.

The op just wants to impose limits on how many charges a player can use against them in a public game.

Battlefront was marketed towards Casual gamers, not Elite tryhards... Try asking Dice to add this as a Harcore Competitive mode instead of asking to limit general play @Wallofman.

• Joonlar
    1154 posts Member
    How is it good for balance?

Because charge cards currently get spammed too much.

It's also unfair to people who haven't played for tons of hours and can't afford practically unlimited charges.
  • Dotty
    2026 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Joonlar wrote: »
    How is it good for balance?

Because charge cards currently get spammed too much.

It's also unfair to people who haven't played for tons of hours and can't afford practically unlimited charges.
    Again, limiting charged cards to 5 wont stop "spam". What about regular star card spam? I mentioned the Thermal detonator earlier. I think RampagingEwok mentioned this as well.

If I went and bought Battlefield 4 I would face the same issue there as any new player in Battlefront. Tryhards and veterans will have more equipment unlocked to use against me.
    I don't know ... it would be like having limited bullets or star cards. Imagine just being able to use your jump pack 5 times or your grenade 5 times. It just doesn't seem right. Charge cards don't bug me much anyways, they seem to be situational anyways, and technically they are already limited by the number of charges they have in addition to the regular cool down. Charge cards are far more limited then the other cards. And people spam everything in this game not just charge cards, so yeah...

• Joonlar
    1154 posts Member
    Again, limiting charged cards to 5 wont stop "spam".

You can't spam anything if you only have five of them + their on a cooldown. So yes it would.

I don't think 5 is the perfect number though, I just like the general idea.
    What about regular star card spam?

Star Card spam isn't as big a problem as charge card spam.

Scan Pulse, Explosive Shot etc, I think such things would work better in limited quantities. Would make when you use them more tactical and meaningful. Also limited amount would encourage people to collect the charge pick-ups around the map.

As for the thermal detonator specifically, I have advocated in the past that it should have a longer cooldown of, say, 20 seconds. Currently it's on 15 seconds whilst the less effective Impact nade is on 18 (or 20, forget), that should be switched around.
  • Then what would people spend their credits on? Right now we have no way to alter the look of our characters besides leveling up and choosing skins that for the most part look similar. We have no way of altering our weapons. Only places to spend the credits is with charge cards and skins.

Maybe if cards were shuffled better, this option would make sense. Here's what I mean:

-Star cards should be things that can be replenished. Pulse cannon, adrenaline stim, scan pulse, etc. So things that could be your characters super power so to speak or something that doesn't require lots of ammo.

-Charge cards should be things that can't be easily replenished. Main ones that come to mind are grenades and bacta bombs. Is it realistic that your character carries 100 bacta bombs with him/her or 100 grenades that you spam throughout the game? No. These should have a limit to them and you should have the ability to replenish them at the end of each game (by spending your credits) or by grabbing pickups throughout the game. I'd also remove the cooldown time for this...because again, does your arm need to cool down after tossing a grenade? Probably not. If you want to toss all 5 grenades at once in the beginning of the match, be my guest.

-Secondary weapon. This would move all the pulse cannons, homing shots, barrages, cycler rifles, etc. into a secondary weapon category. Let these have cooldown time or a bullet count. Pulse cannon doesn't need any bullets and should just have the standard cooldown time. Explosive launchers can have 5-10 shots. Cycler rifle and other bullet-type guns can have 20 or 30.

Right now there's no real logic to how star cards and charge cards are created and organized. Your suggestion is good, but not with the existing setup. That's my .02.
  • I like that the number of charges uses was added to the post-game, as I rarely paid attention to it beforehand. I find that I use anywhere between 5 and 10 and mostly play turning point. I'm all for a limit to remove the spam - but good luck getting consensus on what that limit should be and if they should be different for 'strategic' vs. 'non-strategic' cards.
  • Dotty
    2026 posts Member
    Joonlar, spam is spam. Spam is back to back continuous usage of an item without stopping.. You cant spam anything in Battlefront due to cooldowns. You cant even spam blaster fire due to oveheating...

What about complaints regarding Jumppack, Pulse Cannon? Thermal detonators were only one example.
    The system is fine as is.

Have fun and good luck getting Dice to change Battlefront to all Hardcore all the time :)

• Joonlar
    1154 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Joonlar, spam is spam. Spam is back to back continuous usage of an item without stopping.. You cant spam anything in Battlefront due to cooldowns. You cant even spam blaster fire due to oveheating...

You are being pedantic.
    JWhat about complaints regarding Jumppack, Pulse Cannon? Thermal detonators were only one example.

You already asked this and I already answered.

Star cards are not as bad as charge cards, in terms of balance.
  • Sounds to me like a bunch of lollipops are just whining about getting killed, there is no problem. If you want a walk in the park then try skirmish. The only charge card you'll have to worry about there is the personal shield. Have fun!
  • I don't see an issue with balance due to the charge cards. If anything, I'd like to see a few get buffs, like the stinger pistol and cooling cell. Otherwise, these are fine the way they are.
  • I suggested this idea a while ago, it's the best solution in my opinion.