criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Battlefront 2: Fighter Squadron

I know a lot of people avoid FS completely and this is kind of the point I'm going to make.

BF1's Fighter mode is basic, almost like a simple tech test. The controls are uninspired and the d-pad evades are too '1990's arcade machine' even for someone who grew up playing 1990's arcade machines. The objective play is repetitive and dull.

Some of us have stuck with it because it's the only Star Wars aerial combat game on current gen consoles, and I've put a lot of hours in. I think I'm one of the few people happy with Battle Station because I get to put that practice to good use, if FS was more universally enjoyed I suspect more people would love the DS mode.

No-one's expecting IL 2 Sturmovic, but a deeper dive into air combat mechanics, physics (when you're in gravity, you should feel that) and controls that allow the pilot to pull off those 'one button' evasions would be a lot more satisfying.

Add some decent objective modes, attack/defend a ground-based shield generator, drop a Star Destroyer, take out leaving transports, and you've got yourselves a game to beat the old classics.

Replies

• I just wanna fly starfighters without any worry and FS provides that for me. I think there shouldnt be any changes.
  • VoodooKing wrote: »
    I just wanna fly starfighters without any worry and FS provides that for me. I think there shouldnt be any changes.

None at all? I'm not going to tell you your opinion's wrong I'm just very surprised by it. You really wouldn't want any more depth in the sequel's Fighter mode, and feel that BF1 FS is adequate? I'm not sure many other gamers would agree with you, I might be wrong but I don't suspect so.
    I just wanna fly starfighters without any worry and FS provides that for me. I think there shouldnt be any changes.

Uhmmm
    Hit detection?
    Experience outranks everything
  • old_chancer
    141 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    The whole game is for a broader market many of which are not looking for deep shooter ,vehicle and flying skills- there are plenty of those game types about .
  • The whole game is for a broader market many of which are not looking for deep shooter ,vehicle and flying skills- there are plenty of those game types about .

Then whats the point of making a sequel to a game with the exact same mechanics?
    You may not believe this, but you just wasted 3 seconds reading this™
  • The whole game is for a broader market many of which are not looking for deep shooter ,vehicle and flying skills- there are plenty of those game types about .

It is, I agree, that was one of the main reasons it bombed and got awful reviews. I'm not just being an *** here, you genuinely couldn't find an article at launch that didn't call it casual, basic and shallow.
  • The power to speed rubbishy should go, too many people that don't bother speeding up

Should take longer to lock on and you should have to be aiming at the actual ship and not in it's general direction

Official member of The Second Hand Club™

Proceed with the countdown!

giphy.gif

What about being one shot?
  • The power to speed rubbishy should go, too many people that don't bother speeding up

Should take longer to lock on and you should have to be aiming at the actual ship and not in it's general direction

Yes to all of this!
    PSN: Trooper8059
    "Remember: Your focus determines your reality."
    ezgif_5_a643336582.gif
  • And making first person useable would be great. I know third person confers a small advantage in infantry mode, but in fighters first person is just crippling. I saw this yesterday and I wish it was actually playable this way, looks incredible;

• Darkaid
    9643 posts Member
    I would love the old Assault game mode to be added with a few twists.
    “Until we reach the last edge, the last opening, the last star, and can go no higher.”
    Rest in peace, Carrie Fisher.