criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Gamescom 2019 Triple XP
Community Transmission

I need tips on using Laser Trip Mines

I've been trying to just get a meager 5 kills with this item in order to unlock the level 2 version. And it is taking forever! I played three different games with it in my loadout and only managed to get one kill with it, bringing me up to 4/5 total. I just need one more kill with it, but it seems like it's too easy to detect and eliminate. Or, I'm just not using them right. Anyway, I'm, just looking for tips or suggestions on how to best deploy these things.

Replies

• ...many know how a trip mine sounds/affects radar so do not get caught. Obviously as above there are 'best places' but generally position where the visible sender bit is hidden and crouch before placing so the beam is not at line of sight height ie low down.
  • Throw them next to the gas generators in Sabotage when defending,works like a charm!
  • I almost 1000 killed with laser trip mines..

I combine it more generally with escape artist + shield. This allows me to flee and place mines on my path. Very useful in cargo.
    The mines must be placed in close to the ground preference angle as they said. Must be creative x)

It's just a matter of habit.
    If I can not kill someone, I use it to create a diversion.

• Find a closed door that opens when you get close, place it as close to the floor as you can right outside the door.

I get a kill 90% of the time.
    "Yeah, I'm responsible these days. It's the price you pay for being successful."
  • Its simple really, just play in close-quarter maps and gamemodes like Cargo and Extraction.
    1.Distract the enemy
    2.Pop shield
    3.Place mine on a corner/turn
    4.Watch the kill feed :)
  • Play lots of the Rebel Base map in Cargo.
    Don't click unless you want to know the truth....
  • My best kill locations for them:
    1. In the Rebel Depot on Tatooine in Cargo, place one in the long white room near the Imperial base, on a "diagonal" wall, nearly at floor level. Approaching this from the Rebel end, the beam is nearly invisible.
    2. In the Imperial Cargo base on Hoth: if you are standing in the base with the cargo stand to your left, there is a snow corridor ahead at the side of the base. Place one there, just on the corner. The beam is camouflaged by the lines on the wall and Rebels will walk straight into it.
    3. Same map but the Rebel base: in the "red" room with the medical droid, there is a little control panel next to the droid. Putting the trip mine on the side of this will allow its beam to shine straight past the cargo and into the "blue" room beyond. This will often get imperials approaching from either direction. It can be tricky to get the placement right for this one though.
    4. Sullust Hangar: in the exterior doorways at the far sides of the map. Players just run straight through, by the time they see it's there, it's too late.
    5. Anywhere you can position the beam so it passes through as power up.
  • Lonnisity wrote: »
    Find a closed door that opens when you get close, place it as close to the floor as you can right outside the door.

I just don't believe that because radar shows its presence
  • Lonnisity wrote: »
    Find a closed door that opens when you get close, place it as close to the floor as you can right outside the door.

I just don't believe that because radar shows its presence

How many times have you been sprinting to an objective through a closed door without thinking about anything?
    "Yeah, I'm responsible these days. It's the price you pay for being successful."
  • If you put just inside a door, then lay a smoke grenade on the outside of the door, they walk right into it...hehe
  • NEVEE PLACE IT NEAR A GRIUO IF TEAMMATES
    Hey Man.
    fw2yVS7.jpg
  • My favorite tactic is to place a mine just inside a door way, then wait about 20M away in hiding... The enemy approaches the doorway and either 1)- gets blown up!! ;or 2) pauses and I throw a impact grenade at him.....hehe; or 3) he evades 1 and 2 and I just blast him with a scatter gun or SE14C.....hehe
  • 2000sGuy wrote: »
    NEVEE PLACE IT NEAR A GRIUO IF TEAMMATES

Never run a spellcheck either, am I right?
  • 2000sGuy wrote: »
    NEVEE PLACE IT NEAR A GRIUO IF TEAMMATES

Never run a spellcheck either, am I right?

@SalaciousCrunk

Hey Man.
    fw2yVS7.jpg
  • Anoh
    8380 posts Member
    In HvV Laser Trip Mines stay active round after round until they get detonated.
    Editor/Cinematographer - Anoh is pronounced: AhNo.
  • Anoh wrote: »
    In HvV Laser Trip Mines stay active round after round until they get detonated.

Yes, I noticed this when some smart cookie placed it so the beam sat directly across where the heroes spawn each round on Rebel Base, Tatooine... Never been so annoyed to lose hero health in my life
    All I am surrounded by is fear... and dead men.
  • A decent trick I picked up is when laying it horizontally through a doorway or whatever, try and get it as close to the floor as possible. This makes it harder for the enemy to see, and therefore more likely to net you the kill.
  • SadorMalmori
    205 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    So last week, I was doing this job on the Outer Rim… hey, stop laughing already -- that joke's really old. :* Anyway, it was extraction and here I am about to start up the antigrav cart when I notice something different: those sneaky blastards attached the mine to the cart's on/off switch! Good thing I saw the beam and shot at it from a safe distance, but an inexperienced eager beaver would've fallen for it.

Another good place for it is outdoors on Bespin, where the bright sunlight & reflective surfaces can make the laser easy to miss.