criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Felucia Transmission
No Match for a Good Blaster

VR mission!!

Degener8
447 posts Member
edited December 2016
That was incredibly fun! We need a game with all the greatest battles in VR hoth and the trench run would be outstanding if it was anything like that.

2 points
I'd like the turn sensitivity to be adjustable and it'd be insane if there was like a tie fighter wave based survival mode

Replies

• +1 to everything here.
    PSN: Trooper8059
    "Remember: Your focus determines your reality."
    ezgif_5_a643336582.gif
  • When I tried it this morning, there was a download button, but it was grayed out. Did you have to download something on the VR tab? How long did it take you to download.

Good to hear you guys liked it!!!!
  • Chris1 wrote: »
    When I tried it this morning, there was a download button, but it was grayed out. Did you have to download something on the VR tab? How long did it take you to download.

Good to hear you guys liked it!!!!

Go to the PS Store, Playstation VR, and then New or Free. Should be the first thing there.

It's around 2 GB.
    ezgif_5_a643336582.gif
  • Just saw the other thread! Thank you though! Everything seems to need a workaround today.
  • Tobikun wrote: »
    VR is nothing more than a gimmick at it's current stage.

Have u tried it yet?
  • I love the vr mission I think it's amazing. That AT-AT before you start, the star destroyer is impressive, chasing a tie fighter is so cool, a bit short though . Please make a full game!
  • grinder_x wrote: »
    I love the vr mission I think it's amazing. That AT-AT before you start, the star destroyer is impressive, chasing a tie fighter is so cool, a bit short though . Please make a full game!

Or at least an endless survival mode.
    ezgif_5_a643336582.gif
  • This would be an awesome idea. But with the very few amount of owners of VR because of cost and setup, This happening would be almost impossible. BUT if it happens it would be phenomenal.
  • Nevermind I messed up they are doing a VR mission but I feel like this will go to waste because of the small player base and the already limited amount of players who have a VR headset.
    james0075 wrote: »
    Tobikun wrote: »

Have u tried it yet?

Yes I have and it's nothing special right now.

Sorry to hear you don't like it, it's a big investment after all. I've found it to be a fun experience. But I'm not giving up the TV just yet.

They said that at Kittyhawk too. Always so positive... Gimmick is a bit pejorative. I have it (haven't tried X-Wing yet) and everyone I show it to thinks it's very cool, with various states of approval (ranging from the cynic's silent head nod to the enthusiasts vr-gasm). So there's that.
    saints928 wrote: »
    Nevermind I messed up they are doing a VR mission but I feel like this will go to waste because of the small player base and the already limited amount of players who have a VR headset.

That's why I said that VR is nothing more than a gimmick right now.

The funniest part is your clear ignorance, in Japan alone PS VR shifted 50.000 units in its first week! And is projected to hit 1.4 million units in its first 3-5 months ie Christmas period.. Your talking ***** mate, because you're clearly a band wagon hater, this VR mission is 18 minutes long and demonstrates the potential Star Wars has in VR call it a gimmick all you like but it's sick as *****, shame you're too one track minded to enjoy it

This. A friend of mine dropped $1000 on the whole rig, brought it to my place Saturday. He has most of the games available. None of them were longer than an hour, tops. The Batman game was particularly disappointing, and the review I read for Battlefront, while enthusiastic, lamented its extremely short playtime.

It reminds me of when the Wii came out, with only Wii sports available - the games are just demos with a taste of what's to come. I'll need to see a killer app before I drop a grand on another current gen system.
  • I absolutely loved it, but that said I can't see myself playing it very often. I earned all of the stars on a the second run so it would be great if you could select different difficulty modes (it's ridiculously easy to take out he TIE fighters...)

But, oh my it is pretty. Brilliant just to sit in the cockpit and look around. The attention to detail is awesome (have you found that you can switch the targeting computer on and off? Neat!)

Shame that the x-wing isn't terribly manoeuvrable (can't barrel roll at all) but I was already feeling a bit of motion sickness so I guess the devs have to be careful...

But it is A W E S O M E.
  • Played the VR mission last night and it is very very cool. The environment is completely immersive (nothing like taking a slow pass over a Nebulon-B Frigate - 1990s me would have been mind blown after playing X-Wing and Tie Fighter). Agree that a barrel roll would have been cool and modified difficulty would increase the playability of it, but these things are basically intended to be glorified demos to show off the capability of the platform.

It's still a generation away and VR will never overcome the human brain's desire to make your physiology agree with what you're seeing, so not every game will make sense in VR. But it will have its own niche moving forward.

FWIW - for all of the movement, I thought this was far less nauseating than other similarly focused VR experiences (I mean you Battlezone demo).

• Trooper8059
    10199 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Played the VR mission last night and it is very very cool. The environment is completely immersive (nothing like taking a slow pass over a Nebulon-B Frigate - 1990s me would have been mind blown after playing X-Wing and Tie Fighter). Agree that a barrel roll would have been cool and modified difficulty would increase the playability of it, but these things are basically intended to be glorified demos to show off the capability of the platform.

It's still a generation away and VR will never overcome the human brain's desire to make your physiology agree with what you're seeing, so not every game will make sense in VR. But it will have its own niche moving forward.

FWIW - for all of the movement, I thought this was far less nauseating than other similarly focused VR experiences (I mean you Battlezone demo).

Or VR Luge. :D

So far the only thing I've gotten sick from is the World War Toons Beta without the setting to stop you from freelooking around.
    ezgif_5_a643336582.gif
  • Played the VR mission last night and it is very very cool. The environment is completely immersive (nothing like taking a slow pass over a Nebulon-B Frigate - 1990s me would have been mind blown after playing X-Wing and Tie Fighter). Agree that a barrel roll would have been cool and modified difficulty would increase the playability of it, but these things are basically intended to be glorified demos to show off the capability of the platform.

Or VR Luge. :D

So far the only thing I've gotten sick from is the World War Toons Beta without the setting to stop you from freelooking around.

@Trooper8059 Haven't tried it, thanks for the warning! For whatever reason VR Luge didn't get to me, but jumping around in the Scavenger part of VR Worlds - after about 15 minutes...yikes.

• FWIW - for all of the movement, I thought this was far less nauseating than other similarly focused VR experiences (I mean you Battlezone demo).

Ha ha! Maybe I'm just a bit soft. To be honest I could spend a fair amount of time just looking at the AT-AT and sitting in the cockpit looking around...

Really does look good...
  • james0075 wrote: »

Have u tried it yet?

Sorry to hear you don't like it, it's a big investment after all. I've found it to be a fun experience. But I'm not giving up the TV just yet.

Why? All Tobikun says is negative. This is nothing new.
    Xbox One: Firewall17 - I Love Star Wars: Battlefront 2! No regrets buying it and never will! - Also on >The List<
  • Firewall17 wrote: »

Have u tried it yet?

Why? All Tobikun says is negative. This is nothing new.

Exactly :),
  • Sorry if I'm a few pages back, but how much is the VR setup? The menu screen is driving me insane with envy lol most of you all seem happy with the purchase, and tbh probably one of my childhood dreams come true flying an xwing
  • mastery0ta wrote: »
    Sorry if I'm a few pages back, but how much is the VR setup? The menu screen is driving me insane with envy lol most of you all seem happy with the purchase, and tbh probably one of my childhood dreams come true flying an xwing

In germany the vr headset costs 399,99+ the PS camera 79,99 and the playstation sticks 69,99. It is really expensive ^^
    Sorry if I'm a few pages back, but how much is the VR setup? The menu screen is driving me insane with envy lol most of you all seem happy with the purchase, and tbh probably one of my childhood dreams come true flying an xwing

In germany the vr headset costs 399,99+ the PS camera 79,99 and the playstation sticks 69,99. It is really expensive ^^

You don't need the move controllers (PlayStation Sticks) for the VR X wing mission though. I paid $550 for the VR and $89 for the camera in Australia.
  • Well I didn't bought a PS VR. I have rented one for the weekend as I knew that the VR mission is coming out this week. And man I love the Star Wars mission. It is fun, it feels like you are in (low-res) space, you can get scared from a closeness of an asteroid and man it is fun to fly around the star destroyer (and it makes you a little bit dizzied :D). All in all I love the VR mission, I would have loved some more VR missions but hey ... This is something too.

As for the VR part of things I can see myself playing in VR a few hours ... a month. It isn't something that I would do on a daily basis for hours. Maybe the whole thing is in his puberty but fact is I got a little bit dizzy after some games. Tomb Raider free mode is criminal in the dizzy front, my brain just couldn't accept the free movement and the fact that my body was still. So yeah, PS VR is a gimmick for me right now, and I don't see how will they resolve this on the long run. Maybe higher resolution will help or some kind of a movement accessorie that lets you walk in the same spot. But I cannot see PS VR working with intensive shooters at all. So I don't think I will buy one right away. Maybe version 2 or 3 ...
  • So all I need is the headset itself, and the camera to play battlefront?
    So all I need is the headset itself, and the camera to play battlefront?

You still need a PS4 and a normal controller as well but don't need the two move controllers.
  • It is a glorified tech demo, but I don't see how could they do the planet side battles. I think Walker Assault would make you diszzy in no time.
  • TheStalker88
    6084 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    VR is a very overpriced gimmick and that VR demo can be viewed on youtube. X wings are clunky and slow in maneuvering. Graphics and immersion might be great but the demo is still a demo. Plus I don't see how one can play it for long without getting sick and eye sore or even want to fork out 500 for it.
  • It's comes down to where you find value. I think it's great but I only play it once maybe twice in a session before putting the VR headset away and jumping into normal Battlefront. I find it really immersive and was happy to pay for the experience but I can certainly see how it's not for everyone. Viewing the YouTube videos shows you the content but actually experiencing it is very different from watching a YouTube clip.