criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Battle Point Event
Focused Feedback

A message to Paul, Battlefront's Producer

Prev1345
Anoh
8380 posts Member
edited December 2016
Hi Paul,

I listened to BattlefrontPodcast's interview which you were featured in recently, and it had me wondering.

Why the lack of clarity in your answers?

Is it LucasFilm, Disney, or EA not allowing you to talk about anything and providing clear and real answers to the community's biggest questions?

If it isn't, why aren't you transparent with us?

Do you think the way you're acting aspires trust, and mutuality between the company you work for and the company's customers? I don't think so.

And if it is any of your superiors censoring you from delivering any info whatsoever on Battlefront, why? Again, that kind of behavior doesn't make me or any of the people I know who've played this game for a long time want to continue supporting and playing your futur titles.

To the question: "What about Hero Blast?"

The answer expected is either a "No" followed by true explanations as to why the mode won't be released.

A "Yes" followed by an estimate date.

A "Not sure" followed by the true reasons as to why you aren't sure if it will be released or not.

Is it that difficult? Why the mirages?

Keeping everything top secret isn't a smart way to build a solid relationship between your fanbase/community and your company.

Same thing for Skirmish.

Why the mirages on that subject? People want to know the future of it.

Again, a "No" followed by the true reasons.

A "Yes" with what will be coming to Skirmish.

Or a "Not sure" followed by the true reasons.

Why am I even writing this?

Aren't we suppose to be in this together? Share the passion of Star Wars together?

I have never seen such a disrespectful team towards a fanbase/community, it's like we don't exist.

It's like "here's how we decide things will be, and if those who support our product don't like it, well who cares?" no collaboration, no mutuality, NOTHING!

The lack of communication is alarming.

Sure, it is a full time job and most have families with responsabilities as you said; but is it that difficult to keep us up to date with a quick message from time to time on what's happening, ANYTHING showing that you care about your game and not taking for granted the immense privilege you have of working on one of the biggest IPs, Star Wars?!

Lots of people, passionate people, find themselves ignored when politely asking you something regarding Battlefront.

This doesn't aspire me to continue this journey with you DICE, after the way you've treated this community, I honestly feel disgust.

I won't even go into how ridiculous some bugs and glitches have been left unsquashed for MONTHS.

The only honorable member of your team is Guillaume, he's the only one who's gave us a sort of explanation for the Lando issue, and what needs to be done to correct him.

Guillaume is an example to follow in terms of communication with the community, props to him.

I will ask you, @TheVestalViking, this time the community expects the truth.
  • What's the situation regarding Hero Blast?
  • What is the future of Skirmish for this Battlefront?

Thanks.
Editor/Cinematographer - Anoh is pronounced: AhNo.

Replies

• This was beautifully put, Anoh. Thank you for writing this. i hope he sees this and we can all work this out together
  • +1. Since the beginning the main issue has been the utter lack of communication. Yes some players are childish but it doesn't mean that the player base can be treated like a child and given a 'you'll find out when your older type of responses'.

• Tyjames wrote: »
    +1. Since the beginning the main issue has been the utter lack of communication. Yes some players are childish but it doesn't mean that the player base can be treated like a child and given a 'you'll find out when your older type of responses'.

• +100 hues for OP. Clear, reasonable, and understandable.

+100 dirt naps for those making this thread even necessary
  • Exactly. Very nicely said.
  • Whodunnit
    5576 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    23a1a6857b4ae84737c7806ae035878b.gif
    Beautiful writing Anoh, you spoke on the Community's behalf, I think we all agree with you.
    @TheVestalViking We obviously know your reasons guys for these decisions hasn't been made because "Hey, let's just f up with the Community and leave this out, who's with me?"
    You have reasons.
    They have reasons.
    We just want to KNOW.
    Is this so much to ask for?
    Battlefront II has a 45.8% chance of success.
    sfg04pfx1l31.gif
  • +1 Anoh
    Member of the 501st
  • +1 Anoh

+1
    Dennis Brännvall is FAIL!!!!!
  • Anoh wrote: »
    Hi Paul,

I listened to BattlefrontPodcast's interview which you were featured in recently, and it had me wondering.

Why the lack of clarity in your answers?

Is it LucasFilm, Disney, or EA not allowing you to talk about anything and providing clear and real answers to the community's biggest questions?

If it isn't, why aren't you transparent with us?

Do you think the way you're acting aspires trust, and mutuality between the company you work for and the company's customers? I don't think so.

And if it is any of your superiors censoring you from delivering any info whatsoever on Battlefront, why? Again, that kind of behavior doesn't make me or any of the people I know who've played this game for a long time want to continue supporting and playing your futur titles.

To the question: "What about Hero Blast?"

The answer expected is either a "No" followed by true explanations as to why the mode won't be released.

A "Yes" followed by an estimate date.

A "Not sure" followed by the true reasons as to why you aren't sure if it will be released or not.

Is it that difficult? Why the mirages?

Keeping everything top secret isn't a smart way to build a solid relationship between your fanbase/community and your company.

Same thing for Skirmish.

Why the mirages on that subject? People want to know the future of it.

Again, a "No" followed by the true reasons.

A "Yes" with what will be coming to Skirmish.

Or a "Not sure" followed by the true reasons.

Why am I even writing this?

Aren't we suppose to be in this together? Share the passion of Star Wars together?

I have never seen such a disrespectful team towards a fanbase/community, it's like we don't exist.

It's like "here's how we decide things will be, and if those who support our product don't like it, well who cares?" no collaboration, no mutuality, NOTHING!

The lack of communication is alarming.

Sure, it is a full time job and most have families with responsabilities as you said; but is it that difficult to keep us up to date with a quick message from time to time on what's happening, ANYTHING showing that you care about your game and not taking for granted the immense privilege you have of working on one of the biggest IPs, Star Wars?!

Lots of people, passionate people, find themselves ignored when politely asking you something regarding Battlefront.

This doesn't aspire me to continue this journey with you DICE, after the way you've treated this community, I honestly feel disgust.

I won't even go into how ridiculous some bugs and glitches have been left unsquashed for MONTHS.

The only honorable member of your team is Guillaume, he's the only one who's gave us a sort of explanation for the Lando issue, and what needs to be done to correct him.

Guillaume is an example to follow in terms of communication with the community, props to him.

I will ask you, @TheVestalViking, this time the community expects the truth.
    • What's the situation regarding Hero Blast?
    • What is the future of Skirmish for this Battlefront?

Thanks.

+11111111111111111111111111111111 Absolutely amazing, imposible to write it better.
    You know what to do, DONT BUY BTF2, let them sick with their game.
    #MakeHvVGreatAgain
  • Very well put, I agree 100%
  • sCr0llx
    251 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    It's EA just wants your money not to please you
    Post edited by sCr0llx on
  • Hue Hue

Well said @Anoh
  • I want to play this content offline all of it with dlc @TheVestalViking this is gone on for too long. Please respond many including myself have to suffer with internet usage, data usage.or caps, or don't have internet. This is.the only fps I play I hate violent games. Don't let all that hardwork all die behind servers.
  • Jarrad
    2270 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Very well written @Anoh, well said.

Yeah, guys at EA/DICE, we appreciate the game, just be more clear and let us know the why of things.

As for Skirmish, I think just adding in Blast would be a good compromise.

At least give the fans the ability to play both the rest of the Vanilla Maps in the game offline and the DLC Maps in the game offline and I'm sure many would be appreciative of at least that much.

And, it would be the easiest mode for the devs to implement.

The problem is, there are no other Star Wars games currently on the market for fans to choose from, so this is all they have to choose.

The Multiplayer is awesome, but I would love to be able to continue to play on all the rest of the Vanilla Maps and all of the DLC Maps in offline in Skirmish when the servers are shut down and the player base dies off.

At the very least, Blast, Walker Assault, and Fighter Squadron would cover all of the rest of the maps and make them all playable for offline.

I'd love Supremacy and HvV and any other modes, but I'll take Blast if anything cause I really want to be able to play all the rest of the Vanilla Maps and all of the DLC Maps offline in Skirmish when the player base for this game fades away and the servers are shut down for this game.

Please, if you can, bring Blast to Skirmish @TheVestalViking and @FireWall.

The fans, including myself, would be so thankful and appreciative to get to at least be able to play the rest of the Vanilla Maps and the DLC Maps offline in Skirmish.

Thanks again if you can!

P.S., if you guys could also bring in Red Five and the Tie Advanced X1 Hero Ships to Skirmish Fighter Squadron as well, many, including myself, would be very grateful.
  • Jarrad wrote: »
    Very well written @Anoh, well said.

Yeah, guys at EA/DICE, we appreciate the game, just be more clear and let us know the why of things.

As for Skirmish, I think just adding in Blast would be a good compromise.

At least give the fans the ability to play both the rest of the Vanilla Maps in the game offline and the DLC Maps in the game offline and I'm sure many would be appreciative of at least that much.

And, it would be the easiest mode for the devs to implement.

The problem is, there are no other Star Wars games currently on the market for fans to choose from, so this is all they have to choose.

The Multiplayer is awesome, but I would love to be able to continue to play on all the rest of the Vanilla Maps and all of the DLC Maps in offline in Skirmish when the servers are shut down and the player base dies off.

At the very least, Blast, Walker Assault, and Fighter Squadron would cover all of the rest of the maps and make them all playable for offline.

I'd love Supremacy and HvV and any other modes, but I'll take Blast if anything cause I really want to be able to play all the rest of the Vanilla Maps and all of the DLC Maps offline in Skirmish when the player base for this game fades away and the servers are shut down for this game.

Please, if you can, bring Blast to Skirmish @TheVestalViking and @FireWall.

The fans, including myself, would be so thankful and appreciative to get to at least be able to play the rest of the Vanilla Maps and the DLC Maps offline in Skirmish.

Thanks again if you can!

P.S., if you guys could also bring in Red Five and the Tie Advanced X1 Hero Ships to Skirmish Fighter Squadron as well, many, including myself, would be very grateful.

I hate violent games don't make me upset this only game I play I won't give up. @TheVestalViking
  • I really want him to see this. I think we'd finally get some answers
  • Strogg1980
    2570 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    OP, wow, you nailed it.

A while before we had you guys making and speaking about the games- @TheVestalViking and @FireWall -we had communication. heck I could go over to the Blizzard Forums right now and maybe not immediately, but SOMEONE would answer a question I ask or email me back, and the sad thing is, aside from occasionally playing DIablo 3, I don't even like Blizzard anymore nor do many fans consider them as good as developers as they used to be, yet they still answer people.

Is talking about a mode already released and just asking if we get more content that confidential? is Asking if Issue X will be patched really breaking that many rules between you guys and EA or Disney? Maybe this deal wasn't the best thing for the fans if this will be how the next several years will be with fans and the developers.

But like I said that was before...before...
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=SB6brOn_RI4

mouse-vader.png

Heil das Maus!!
  • A couple of things to add here and this comes from a huge amount of experience as someone who has actually held live Q&As when running fansites for many Star Wars games back in the day - and as someone who has been a Community Manager for several gaming companies.

Not answering the question
    Disney/Lucasfilm will have NOTHING to do with this. The only person holding the choke chain will be EA and its PR/Marketing teams and whoever the Product Manager is for this title.

Sometimes the answer could be unpopular which is why they will dance around the question. When hosting a live Q&A for Star Wars: Empire at War - the then LucasArts PR team would say 'Yes' or 'No' to questions for the developers to actually answer.

The difference then was, that Empire at War was still in development, so things can and do change - which is understandable when a direct response can't be given, especially as players can take the word as gospel sometimes.

Now - it really is the job of Sledgehammer to feedback to the studio the community concerns and he really should be doing much more. But - this is EA and they do not understand Community. The same kind of nonsense happens over at SWTOR - another game EA 'manage' through Bioware.

Although I am guessing, I believe EA knew full well that this Battlefront would be a 'lite' version in terms of content, to cash in on The Force Awakens meaning that it is highly unlikely new content will be added. The reason why they won't say that, is so they don't damage potential future sales of the current game.

Once they officially announce SWBF EA 2 - they will blurt out the 'we listened' so here is X,Y and Z asked for by the community. If you fall for that - more fool you. Others have said it on youtube - if you continue to buy their products, they will continue to release below average games and companies like EA only understand metrics and money.

I still find it hard to believe how a game in 2005 had all its guts ripped out in 2015 and turned into a generic below average FPS game.
  • is there anyway to play the old battlefront 2 on the ps4?
  • Please someone answer about skirmish all content offline with downloadable content?
  • OP nailed it.

For me, one thing about what's been said stands out:

Their "do not care" posture is unbelievable, especially when it comes to bugs and glitches. And it's got a lot worse over the past few months. It feels exactly like they were just waiting for the last DLC to abandon the game.
  • @Anoh What are your thoughts on the "Ben Kenobi being too similar to Luke" excuse?
    “Until we reach the last edge, the last opening, the last star, and can go no higher.”
    Rest in peace, Carrie Fisher.
  • Why are all of these threads being closed tonight? Just curious.
    PSN: ORancisis "I am one with the Force. The Force is with me"
  • Thank you Anoh, great read and message.

DICE, EA, Disney or whoever, PLEASE just be clear in questions for goodness sake. I`ve read the reddit post on the interview and left disappoint due to the late of solid answers.

All were asking for at this point is just a rough road map of what to expect from here on out, not a response like "we want to keep are players engaged", explain WHAT AND HOW you will do it. Just give us a hook so we know that there is something to look forward to rather than be in the dark!

Other than communication and bugs I love playing this game, especially when I share it with my best friend. So please, provide clear answers and a road map of what we can expect from the game.

Thank you if your reading this, have a great night
  • @Anoh Great thread. Cheers for doing this.
    PSN: ORancisis "I am one with the Force. The Force is with me"
  • Chances are that the so called community manager will order a close on this thread because it has logic.
  • Jarrad
    2270 posts Member
    ORancisis wrote: »
    Why are all of these threads being closed tonight? Just curious.

No idea, was wondering the same thing myself.
  • Jarrad
    2270 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    danilojbg wrote: »
    OP nailed it.

For me, one thing about what's been said stands out:

Their "do not care" posture is unbelievable, especially when it comes to bugs and glitches. And it's got a lot worse over the past few months. It feels exactly like they were just waiting for the last DLC to abandon the game.

I'm surprised by this as well.

You'd think that they'd actually want to get players to come back for Star Wars Battlefront 2.

But it seems that this Star Wars Battlefront is now basically done, since the Rogue One DLC was released, and EA/DICE have washed their hands of this game.

If you want your players to keep coming back, why not try to find common ground, communicate with them, and try to work things out?

• Amen. The only reason I see for lack of clarity is that they know the fans won't like their answers, and they don't want to lose player base/ money by upsetting us, and if that's the case, why not give the players what they want instead of having to hide behind riddles and cryptic answers. I seriously want my money for this game back... :(
  • + goddamn 1
  • DarthJ
    6695 posts Member
    Well written @Anoh, beautifully put. It would be great to see answers to this.

However, I don't expect any response, and they have been closing threads. Its a sad state of affairs when we have to beg for clarity.
    PSN: ibrajoker59
  • Anoh
    8380 posts Member
    Darkaid wrote: »
    @Anoh What are your thoughts on the "Ben Kenobi being too similar to Luke" excuse?

Not valid. There was literally no excuse not to make good Old Ben. None.

They recycled various objects and a skin from the game to make a Huero. DLC are suppose to add content, not recycle content.

Thanks everyone, glad everyone seems to agree, now it's up to Paul to reply.

It saddens me to see the wasted potential and a lack of communication this big.
  • Billy-D_Approves.gif

A shame this thread will probably be censored
    Official member of The Second Hand Club™

Proceed with the countdown!

giphy.gif
  • @Anoh will you be getting battlefront 2?
    PSN: ibrajoker59
  • Warning do not buy battlefront 2 it will be more of the same warning
    Dennis Brännvall is FAIL!!!!!
  • For General Ahsoka Tano!
    h3d5nuo8y0jq.png

• @Anoh I sincerely hope they will react now, And I agree with you. This behaviour does not encourage customers to buy
    anymore. Guess they have to learn it the hard way.
  • Anoh
    8380 posts Member
    DarthJ wrote: »
    @Anoh will you be getting battlefront 2?

I'll see.

I'll be spectating top row the launch of BF EA 2, then make a decision.
  • If EA does not improve this battlefront (DICE) I simply will not buy battlefront 2 because if I buy battlefront 2 it could happen the same, I could be buying an incomplete game, this game lacks a lot to be entertained as Battlefront (pandemic) could play clone wars And the civil war, I had many more planets and I would not sell them to you like DLC
  • Anoh wrote: »
    @Anoh What are your thoughts on the "Ben Kenobi being too similar to Luke" excuse?

They recycled various objects and a skin from the game to make a Huero. DLC are suppose to add content, not recycle content.

Sometimes I really start to think whether it is true that EA really do restrict them that bad and there's much darker backstory into it. I never understood why they are very silent. Take example from #soloplayersmatter movement. We were begging for Instant Action since Day One, almost 700+ or more people were asking and asking... After 6 months of shouting and begging on knees we get one or two sentences "We are looking into it" and we get 2 modes...

Is is really hard to tell us what's going on? Do EA really think that if somebody told us about anything it would just expose you badly? No. All we are asking for is just info, that's not hard. It is very lucky that we have uninspired_zebra onboard that really gives us at least some info he can dig into...
    When I see somebody posting another useless theard
    tumblr_mqtcovhc8q1srwn65o9_250.gif

• Just keep ignoring us...
    @TheVestalViking @Guillaume-Dice @FireWall

What really hurts is to hear that guy Paul say "we listened to the community" in that last pod cast. What a crock!
  • Great post, OP. Give us the straight answers. If they are unpopular, so be it. We will complain and then, eventually, move on.

On Old Ben, my suspicion is the devs thought they were giving us variety in the heroes and villains they chose. When it came time to choose the hero for Death Star, the devs picked the hero most had been clamoring for, Chewie, which was a more ambitious undertaking for the devs. Really, the only one of the 4 heroes that DICE could have swapped out for Ben was Nien Nunb.

I think the real issue with this game is the lack of devs. This game should have had sufficient staff to drop old Ben as a free hero. This game should have had AT-ACTs being developed even before Disney gave the green light, so when it did the devs could have said, "look at this cool AT-ACT we built". The idea that the one hero dev we are aware of had to work after hours on a background AT-ACT smells like lack of support from EA to me.

I also hope Swedish labor laws did not handcuff the development of this game. Developing this game should never have ben seen as a 9 to 5 job. This entire game should have been a "labor of love" for all those who worked on it. Does that mean I expect the devs to work late into the night, miss family events, etc. The answer is yes. That is what you sign up for as an artist and one who undertakes a project like this. If the devs, DICE and EA don't see themselves as artists and are not willing to make the personal commitment necessary (or can't because of Swedish labor laws, that is a huge problem.
  • LysdexicsUntied
    2034 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    @Anoh This was so well done I started nodding my head subconsciously one paragraph in. Fantastic response, the one we've all wanted to write (containing what we've all wanted to say) but haven't been able to put into words. The only problem is, Paul isn't going to come within 100 miles of this thread, because I doubt he even remembers this forum exists. So I have an idea:

Every single person with a Twitter account sends a link to this thread, with just the words "Please read", to Paul Keslin. And I mean everyone. I don't know who has Twitter, but maybe you do. I doubt he can ignore 100+ direct Twitter replies, and once one of the news teams sees it it'll be very well publicised.
    All I am surrounded by is fear... and dead men.
  • Strogg1980
    2570 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Paul131 wrote: »
    Anoh wrote: »

Sometimes I really start to think whether it is true that EA really do restrict them that bad and there's much darker backstory into it. I never understood why they are very silent. Take example from #soloplayersmatter movement. We were begging for Instant Action since Day One, almost 700+ or more people were asking and asking... After 6 months of shouting and begging on knees we get one or two sentences "We are looking into it" and we get 2 modes...

Is is really hard to tell us what's going on? Do EA really think that if somebody told us about anything it would just expose you badly? No. All we are asking for is just info, that's not hard. It is very lucky that we have uninspired_zebra onboard that really gives us at least some info he can dig into...

Hard to say if
    Its 100% EA. Dice may in fact not know how to make a star wars game. Remember its their first shot at it. A modern battle field isnt that same as a space age fantasy one. Also dice isnt perfect eithwr. Lately their record has been lacking in general

I remember in 2010 or 11ish when ME2 came Out They asked Bioware how working with EA was and they said it was grwat with near total creative freedom.
  • Well I for one am not buying Battlefront 2 before it's released. Not even after it's released until I can see what others are saying.

But....

If the game is going to be fractured with the main maps and the DLC maps/modes all being separate; If the game is going to try and force playlists and modes on the players instead of letting the players play what they want; If the game is going to take forever to load so I end up starting matches after matches have already started;

Then you can forget it. I won't ever buy it.
  • Well I for one am not buying Battlefront 2 before it's released. Not even after it's released until I can see what others are saying.

But....

If the game is going to be fractured with the main maps and the DLC maps/modes all being separate; If the game is going to try and force playlists and modes on the players instead of letting the players play what they want; If the game is going to take forever to load so I end up starting matches after matches have already started;

Oh yeah for sure. EA must have raked in the money with all the preorders for this game, but if they repeat the same mistakes then BF2 will utterly fail. I'm not buying anything (game, DLCs, etc) until I know that its getting fantastic reviews, and the devs are willing to listen and respond to feedback
    All I am surrounded by is fear... and dead men.
  • Well... This is sad to say but...
    @Anoh you're right. We aren't receiving clear responses from the devs about our questions, and it isn't a good thing.
    Plus, not respecting promises (aka hero blast,) is another thing that makes the community not happy.
    They need to improve their service quality for BF2.

But....

Oh yeah for sure. EA must have raked in the money with all the preorders for this game, but if they repeat the same mistakes then BF2 will utterly fail. I'm not buying anything (game, DLCs, etc) until I know that its getting fantastic reviews, and the devs are willing to listen and respond to feedback

Which you know they won't.
  • These guys are worse than politicians. At least a politician will lie to you and tell you what you want to hear. These guys just hem and haw and don't give any one a straight answer.
    As mentioned countless times above, our only power is our pocketbook.

EA/DICE: Will you buy BF2?
    Customers: We'll look into it™soon™
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!