criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
August Community Calendar

Real FPS mechanics in BF2

Prev1
This is a repost of mine from a while back but it's more relevant now... I believe that to make these games less casual/generate a larger player base, they need to be more of a FPS. Crouching and aiming SHOULD make a difference on accuracy! This game and the next NEED to be proper FPS. NO third person option. No more Star cards and power ups. There should be classes each with their own speciality (we've already got a version of classes in the missions and skirmish)
Share your thoughts below
rWnfFLl.gif

Replies

• 100% against removing third person. It doesn't need to be even less of a Battlefront than it already is
    "Yeah, I'm responsible these days. It's the price you pay for being successful."
  • Third person needs to stay.
    I am the same user as Elimelech401, that account was not tied to the game. I am hoping for more Skirmish with split screen and hero AI.
  • Aryck-The-One
    1613 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Absolutely not. Star Wars: Battlefront is supposed to be casual, and it has always been a third-person game first and foremost, with an optional first-person view.

DICE's biggest mistake with Star wars: Battlefront was turning it into an almost-exclusively online game with an emphasis on competitive multiplayer. That is NOT what Battlefront is about; it's supposed to be a means for Star Wars fans to live out their greatest Star Wars battle fantasies. The original games delivered this through their single-player Galactic Conquest and Instant Action modes.

Star Wars: Battlefront II needs to be made for Star Wars fans, not competitive multiplayer fans. If you want competitive online multiplayer, go play the Battlefield games.

Arcade mode needs 20v20 and starfighter battles for Battlefront II!!!

#soloplayersmatter #singleplayersmatter #offlinegamersmatter
  • Removing third person would be a mistake. That said, some of the other points are valid. Aiming your gun or crouching should make you more accurate while moving and shooting (ie strafing) should hurt your accuracy.

Jump Packs need to go. If they stay however, there should be a massive accuracy penalty while in the air and if you hit your head on a ceiling, you should take damage. How much damage depends on how hard you hit your head. Jump packing in Jabba's cramped hallways should kill you while jump packing in larger rooms, but still hitting your head should only do a small amount of damage. Heroes like Boba Fett would be immune to the above debuffs.

Rolling should work more like it did in BF2 where you could roll in any direction and 94% of the time it worked, only failing if you rolled right into something.
    "In my book, experience outranks everything."
  • hmm i think yes and no. battlefront in its very nature should be more casual than most other FPS titles, but i do think certain areas of Battlefront should become less casual in the next installment... maybe guns could have ammunition? maybe not flat out ammo, but maybe your gun could get so hot that it wouldn't cool down after a certain amount of use... i think flying as a whole should be quite a bit less casual. it is so simple and i don't currently find it enjoyable. my initial response to higher accuracy when aiming was a yes, but really firing from the hip kinda makes sense for a star wars game. just about every storm trooper i have ever seen shoots their E-11 like they are from the wild west lol and i personally like third person too... i would like that to stay and i expect it to. i would probably like to see more intense recoil patterns on the weapons. it would make gun-play a little more difficult and a little less casual, but not by too much imo. the heavy blasters have a bit of recoil, but i think every other class needs more. and to anyone saying lasers dont cause recoil, i believe george lucas said that blasters actually shoot like plasma bolts or something like that. im like 95% sure on that lol
  • My initial response to higher accuracy when aiming was a yes, but really firing from the hip kinda makes sense for a star wars game. Just about every storm trooper I have ever seen shoots their E-11 like they are from the wild west lol...

And exactly how many times do they hit their targets like that? In ROTJ when the trooper aims, the trooper hits the mark.stormtrooper-hits-leia-omg.gif
    It may have been a one-handed shot, but the trooper still aimed and it paid off. Until Han shot them in the face.
    "In my book, experience outranks everything."
  • CPT_Rex wrote: »
    My initial response to higher accuracy when aiming was a yes, but really firing from the hip kinda makes sense for a star wars game. Just about every storm trooper I have ever seen shoots their E-11 like they are from the wild west lol...

And exactly how many times do they hit their targets like that? In ROTJ when the trooper aims, the trooper hits the mark.stormtrooper-hits-leia-omg.gif
    It may have been a one-handed shot, but the trooper still aimed and it paid off. Until Han shot them in the face.

lol you must agree that storm troopers aren't exactly tactical though.
  • Ahsoka_Tano
    7341 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    The Battlefront series is and will ever be a 3rd person game with the option for 1st person. I love to play in 3rd person.
    We already had the Call of Duty CQC season pass for this Battlefront. Now it's time for large maps with vehicles in the next one including CONQUEST.
    For General Ahsoka Tano!
    h3d5nuo8y0jq.png

• Battlefront is a 3rd person shooter with the OPTION of 1st person.

I want to see my stormtrooper armour when I'm playing thanks.
  • The Battlefront series is and will ever be a 3rd person game with the option for 1st person. I love to play in 3rd person.
    We already had the Call of Duty CQC season pass for this Battlefront. Now it's time for large maps with vehicles in the next one including CONQUEST.

Which Conquest mode are you talking about? Both would be cool, but Galactic would be epic.
    I am the same user as Elimelech401, that account was not tied to the game. I am hoping for more Skirmish with split screen and hero AI.
  • Absolutely not. Star Wars: Battlefront is supposed to be casual, and it has always been a third-person game first and foremost, with an optional first-person view.

DICE's biggest mistake with Star wars: Battlefront was turning it into an almost-exclusively online game with an emphasis on competitive multiplayer. That is NOT what Battlefront is about; it's supposed to be a means for Star Wars fans to live out their greatest Star Wars battle fantasies. The original games delivered this through their single-player Galactic Conquest and Instant Action modes.

Star Wars: Battlefront II needs to be made for Star Wars fans, not competitive multiplayer fans. If you want competitive online multiplayer, go play the Battlefield games.

yup
  • Agreed with some of it. 3rd person is a staple to the name of the game though
    Removing third person would be a mistake. That said, some of the other points are valid. Aiming your gun or crouching should make you more accurate while moving and shooting (ie strafing) should hurt your accuracy.

Jump Packs need to go. If they stay however, there should be a massive accuracy penalty while in the air and if you hit your head on a ceiling, you should take damage. How much damage depends on how hard you hit your head. Jump packing in Jabba's cramped hallways should kill you while jump packing in larger rooms, but still hitting your head should only do a small amount of damage. Heroes like Boba Fett would be immune to the above debuffs.

Rolling should work more like it did in BF2 where you could roll in any direction and 94% of the time it worked, only failing if you rolled right into something.

+1
  • Absolutely not. Star Wars: Battlefront is supposed to be casual, and it has always been a third-person game first and foremost, with an optional first-person view.

Agreed. In fact i see nothing wrong with focusing on single player and co-op first (which lets face, if they knew anything about battlefront and SW fans, they would have), then simply stripping the bots out of the maps so we could have 20v20 or 8v8 etc. in MP

As to the OP, you have a few good ideas but no, SWBF was never about competition, want a heavy PvP game thats sci fi? Play Halo, Gears, Unreal games etc.
  • Has anyone ever questioned those real FPS mechanics?
    Personally I find it harder even to balance my body crouching. And thats without a rifle in my hand.
    I can see that moving and shooting would cause higher inaccuracy than standing still and shooting.
    But I think there wouldn't be any difference between standing still and crouching (kneeling) still.

So instead of a generally higher inaccuracy when moving, I think it would suit this game better to just have higher spread/recoil-per-shot values when moving and a slower spread/recoil decrease.
    So your weapon wouldn't be more inaccurate when moving but become more inaccurate faster.
    This effect would be countered by scoping in (moving slower) or standing still or both.

Crouching or standing would not make a difference.

This way, a more "stationary" and accuracy focused playstyle would have its advantages aswell without changing Battlefront's run and gun play too much.

And of course, it has to stay a 3rd person shooter.
  • Chewbacca815
    486 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Edited: Double post
  • Strogg1980 wrote: »
    Absolutely not. Star Wars: Battlefront is supposed to be casual, and it has always been a third-person game first and foremost, with an optional first-person view.

Agreed. In fact i see nothing wrong with focusing on single player and co-op first (which lets face, if they knew anything about battlefront and SW fans, they would have), then simply stripping the bots out of the maps so we could have 20v20 or 8v8 etc. in MP

As to the OP, you have a few good ideas but no, SWBF was never about competition, want a heavy PvP game thats sci fi? Play Halo, Gears, Unreal games etc.

DESTINY

This next game can't be the same as Pandemics, nothing can ever be at that level. We have to cater to the modern generation and not just some Star Wars fans wanting a causal game. Games don't last these days without some sort of challenge and difficulty, I understand you want a causal SW game, however for this game to last we can't have that
    rWnfFLl.gif
    Removing third person would be a mistake. That said, some of the other points are valid. Aiming your gun or crouching should make you more accurate while moving and shooting (ie strafing) should hurt your accuracy.

I never thought of taking damage for slamming into 10 ft ceilings but you are absolutely right. I would be ok with that as well as the accuracy penalty.
    #infantrylivesmatter
  • Battlefront is a 3rd person shooter with the OPTION of 1st person.

I want to see my stormtrooper armour when I'm playing thanks.

Yep.
  • Strogg1980
    2559 posts Member
    edited February 2017

This next game can't be the same as Pandemics, nothing can ever be at that level. We have to cater to the modern generation and not just some Star Wars fans wanting a causal game. Games don't last these days without some sort of challenge and difficulty, I understand you want a causal SW game, however for this game to last we can't have that

Yes, it can. Generation has nothing to do with it and to say "oh well your generation is older, they shouldnt cater to you anymore, its about the new generation and what we like" then Ill end this with F U KK U....

But if that wasnt what you meant then look- its star wars and, as im sure you've seen on here, SW fans will try anything and give it a shot but they dont care for E Sport hardcore PVP combat for this title, they just want a well made game with fun MP and a good single player.
    Look, at the biggest complaint on this game if you wanna dig through the googles. It was not MP related for being too casual and not hardcore enough, people complained mostly due to lack of single player. Also due to poor heroes, lack of enough modes that were fun, bad hero choices.....That was the major backlash. Sorry if you dont agree but SW fans are not all Battlefield/Destiny/PvP fans, much less so. look at all the SW games released... the main draw in all of then was Story, Single Player, to a lesser extent fun, all inclusive MP. From Dark Forces to Classic Battlefronts from Kotor to Republic Commando to Starfighter games to Rogue Squadron. RPGs? sure we enjoy the MMO route too for playing with people in that arena. But majority are not big on competitive shooter crowd.
    If you dont like that, then stick to something like Battlefield or R6, because Battlefront is not gonna change in that respect.
  • I just want it to feel like a large battle where my contributions are near insignificant. I feel the current gunplay mechanics would work fine, just with a heavily reduced focus on rolling and jump packs.
    PSN: Trooper8059
    "Remember: Your focus determines your reality."
    ezgif_5_a643336582.gif
  • Battlefront is 3rd person. No need to turn it into a Call Of Duty with only CQC season passes...
    For General Ahsoka Tano!
    h3d5nuo8y0jq.png

• I am with the guy who says the game needs to evolve. Look what a casual 3rd person shooter did to this games reputation among gamers who arent fans of starwars. If this game became more like battlefield it would be better for the community in my opinion.
  • Xantos
    2385 posts Member
    I am with the guy who says the game needs to evolve. Look what a casual 3rd person shooter did to this games reputation among gamers who arent fans of starwars. If this game became more like battlefield it would be better for the community in my opinion.

This game IS battlefield, battlefront IS battlefield.
    "Only 10% of our playerbase played old Battlefronts, so we are going to do a Battlefront, which is not a Battlefront" -Dice 2017
  • I am with the guy who says the game needs to evolve. Look what a casual 3rd person shooter did to this games reputation among gamers who arent fans of starwars. If this game became more like battlefield it would be better for the community in my opinion.

It would be cool, if DICE would create the game which everyone expected. This means a game like Battlefront II.
    For General Ahsoka Tano!
    h3d5nuo8y0jq.png

It would be cool, if DICE would create the game which everyone expected. This means a game like Battlefront II.

While we all have nostalgia for the old BFII, you have to admit the gun play and hero play itself was terrible compared to this one, I can see an argument to be made that the next battlefront should have the same vehicle play (such as just jumping into An AT-ST) or having galactic conquest and classes, but that's about it.
  • And am I the only one that feels so much more immersed playing in 1st person? I tried it today and enjoyed the gameplay so much more. There are just so many unfair penalties compared to 3rd person. Battlefront 2, if it were to include 3rd person, would have to have the following: 3rd person view is in the centre and not over shoulder to stop peeking around corners and a recoil effect the same as 1st person.
  • Xantos
    2385 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    I am with the guy who says the game needs to evolve. Look what a casual 3rd person shooter did to this games reputation among gamers who arent fans of starwars. If this game became more like battlefield it would be better for the community in my opinion.

While we all have nostalgia for the old BFII, you have to admit the gun play and hero play itself was terrible compared to this one, I can see an argument to be made that the next battlefront should have the same vehicle play (such as just jumping into An AT-ST) or having galactic conquest and classes, but that's about it.

Here an hero vs hero of bf2

What we istantly notice.

1) Fluid animation
    2) Full control of the character
    3) Nice controls reaction.
    4)No slide

Here a hero v hero on Eafront

What we istantly notice

1) BAd animations
    2) Bugged slide mechanic
    3) Innatural slide on saber attack.

Not what one would like to see after 15 years
    "Only 10% of our playerbase played old Battlefronts, so we are going to do a Battlefront, which is not a Battlefront" -Dice 2017
  • Xantos wrote: »

What we istantly notice.

1) Fluid animation
    4)No slide

What we istantly notice

1) BAd animations
    2) Bugged slide mechanic

Yes but that's the sabre combat. And even then I feel if you look at both those games combat you can take away good things from both of them. However the animations on the modern day battlefront aren't nearly as fluid I agree.
  • C'mon, you know that sabre clash looks amazing
  • I just want it to feel like a large battle where my contributions are near insignificant. I feel the current gunplay mechanics would work fine, just with a heavily reduced focus on rolling and jump packs.

I'm tired of pulling my team all the time cause they're a bunch of weasels scared of dying
    Hey Man.
    fw2yVS7.jpg
  • 2000sGuy wrote: »
    I just want it to feel like a large battle where my contributions are near insignificant. I feel the current gunplay mechanics would work fine, just with a heavily reduced focus on rolling and jump packs.

I'm tired of pulling my team all the time cause they're a bunch of weasels scared of dying

That is true, I felt bitter hate through that post lol
  • Xantos wrote: »

What we istantly notice.

1) Fluid animation
    4)No slide

What we istantly notice

1) BAd animations
    2) Bugged slide mechanic

I'm pretty sure next time you will show us how Bomberman 2 has better grenade physics and better looking explosions than EA Front.

"No slide"? What do you mean?
    Character moving without moving his legs?
    I see a lot of that in the first movie, to be honest.
    (Tip: You must fast-forward to see the actual in-game footage).
  • Xantos
    2385 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Xantos wrote: »

What we istantly notice.

1) Fluid animation
    4)No slide

What we istantly notice

1) BAd animations
    2) Bugged slide mechanic

I'm pretty sure next time you will show us how Bomberman 2 has better grenade physics and better looking explosions than EA Front.

"No slide"? What do you mean?
    Character moving without moving his legs?
    I see a lot of that in the first movie, to be honest.
    (Tip: You must fast-forward to see the actual in-game footage).

CHoose vader, then click attack button, and see yfor yourself.

To laugh harder, roll the camera about 360 after every attack.

1997 animations

No, the next time i will show you, most of the best thing in this game, suck compared to bf2.

Audio and graphics ? Yeah very usefull
  • You choose Dooku. See how he plays.
  • Xantos
    2385 posts Member
    You choose Dooku. See how he plays.

HE move his legs while going forward DURING a saber COMBO.

Try to do the same on eafront, seems like every map is on ice
  • And am I the only one that feels so much more immersed playing in 1st person? I tried it today and enjoyed the gameplay so much more. There are just so many unfair penalties compared to 3rd person. Battlefront 2, if it were to include 3rd person, would have to have the following: 3rd person view is in the centre and not over shoulder to stop peeking around corners and a recoil effect the same as 1st person.

I always run in first person! It is very immersive. Everything pops and is so detailed. I love it! It feels so good to outgun someone in third, too. I'm pretty sure about every game I play, I'm the only one in first person.
  • WodiQuix
    4551 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    I just want it to feel like a large battle where my contributions are near insignificant. I feel the current gunplay mechanics would work fine, just with a heavily reduced focus on rolling and jump packs.

Exactly. I want to feel like a proper cog in the Galactic Civil War!
  • Jaden_Korrr
    431 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Third person needs to stay.
    Agreed with some of it. 3rd person is a staple to the name of the game though[/quote
  • []
    Xantos wrote: »

This game IS battlefield, battlefront IS battlefield.

No, the older ones are.
    This isnt.

If it was, it would have larger maps, 32vs32, more vehicles, multiple seated vehicles, destructible environment/ levolution etc.

Something I would love in the sequel.
  • this is battlefront not dark forces. they should bring back dark force - and i mean start by updating the maps and graphics of those games and re-releasing them maybe with added content. those were the FPS games. battlefront was the fans game, and should still be - not turned into CoD in space, with all the pro l33t skillz gamers and all their contempt for anyone too old or too new to instantly kill everyone before they even see them.

if EA and disney remake and relaunch dark forces fps games then you will have somewhere to go and pretend you are in the military not playing a game :)
    invalid brain token
  • Please, casual Star Wars fans go and play skirmish. You are ruining the experience for me and other hardcore FPS players/Star Wars fans.
  • Please, casual Star Wars fans go and play skirmish. You are ruining the experience for me and other hardcore FPS players/Star Wars fans.

fine then YOU force EA to let DICE come back and FINISH SKIRMISH SO ITS ALL MAPS ALL OFFLINE NOT NEEDING TO BE ONLINE AT ALL AND ALL HEROES AND VILLAINS AVAILABLE ALONG WITH ALL THE MODES OFFLINE

surely a self proclaimed gamer god who is so superior it doesnt matter what the majority of fans want so long as YOU get what YOU want can do that? no? maybe the hardcore FPS gamer demographic isnt a billion times larger than the normal star wars battlefront fan demographic is.

you are part of a small club. you put being a hardcore fps before being star wars fan. there are millions of us and hundreds of you. do the math on where the profit for EA is.

relaunching Dark Forces as a hardcore FPS a lot of us will buy it too - and stick to playing the offline SP campaign and leave the MP in that to you with all the K/D stat to prove your manhood that you want.

battlefront was NEVER a hardcore FPS, and thats why it was so successful and that error in judgement from either disney or EA was the first mistake made with this game and led on to all the other mistakes.
    invalid brain token
  • bfloo
    15522 posts Member
    Like it or not, Battlefront is geared towards Star Wars fans, not hard core gamers. Star Wars is mostly marketed to kids, which will get worse with Disney at the helm.

As a Star Wars fan, it is mostly great.

As a gamer I want something that requires more skill.

EAFront2 will sell a huge number even without the hard core gamers.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• yodajedifishmaster
    1361 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    i want to add i really believe there is a market for a dedicated star wars FPS but battlefront isnt it. i really do believe Dark Forces should return and be that FPS for the hardcore fps gamers. as a true FPS it will attract more than the star wars fans to it, who are only into it as an FPS not as a star wars game. stretching battlefront envelope to try and fit the FPS demog is going to make nobody happy. FPS players deserve a dedicated game with real thought to THEIR needs.
    invalid brain token
  • Regardless of the target audience Battlefront is geared towards it still has the potential to improve. There are many different kinds of Star Wars fans, those who enjoy Single Player, those who enjoy Multiplayer, those who want hours of progression and those who want to just jump on and fly an X-Wing, and then there's those who want all of that. Unfortunately Battlefront fills the niche of "Large Battle Shooter" and it wouldn't make sense DICE to make two Battlefront games, one for Hardcore fans and one for Casual Players, so the one Battlefront has to work for everyone who wants a Large Battle Star Wars Shooter. I don't think Battlefront has to include the functions of an FPS but I do think it needs a larger skill ceiling. If they could include deeper multiplayer progression and maybe a few skill trees it would at least allow more dedicated star wars players the opportunity to earn and distinguish themselves in the game, but they could still keep vehicles and weapons relatively kid friendly so casual players can still just pick up an X-Wing and fly it around.
  • Lonnisity
    1946 posts Member
    this is battlefront not dark forces. they should bring back dark force - and i mean start by updating the maps and graphics of those games and re-releasing them maybe with added content. those were the FPS games. battlefront was the fans game, and should still be - not turned into CoD in space, with all the pro l33t skillz gamers and all their contempt for anyone too old or too new to instantly kill everyone before they even see them.

if EA and disney remake and relaunch dark forces fps games then you will have somewhere to go and pretend you are in the military not playing a game :)

Dark Forces =/= military fps.

If anything its closer to 007 games or Half-Life. A fps with heavy puzzle elements.
    "Yeah, I'm responsible these days. It's the price you pay for being successful."
  • Xantos
    2385 posts Member
    Lonnisity wrote: »
    this is battlefront not dark forces. they should bring back dark force - and i mean start by updating the maps and graphics of those games and re-releasing them maybe with added content. those were the FPS games. battlefront was the fans game, and should still be - not turned into CoD in space, with all the pro l33t skillz gamers and all their contempt for anyone too old or too new to instantly kill everyone before they even see them.

Dark Forces =/= military fps.

If anything its closer to 007 games or Half-Life. A fps with heavy puzzle elements.

The most military stuff game is rep commando.