criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Things to consider when developing BF2

I've had a lot of fun playing Battlefront, but also experienced more frustration than I have playing any other video game. I am excited for the upcoming Battlefront sequel (BF2) in the hopes that it will be even more epic, but more importantly, everyone involved in its development will "get it right" this time. Assuming the devs are reading this, I will list a number of things that I hope you all remember when working on the next game. I get that I'm beating a dead horse since you've heard these complaints before, but my hope is the repetition will reinforce the notion that the players do care about these things.

**I'm not going to go into things like lack of content because they've more or less addressed that within the details that have been released regarding the sequel. Nor will I address "balance issues" regarding specific star cards, heroes, etc. since there are currently no details on them for the new game. This is more of a list of general improvements.**

1. Physics- This game hands down has the most frustrating physics I've ever encountered in a video game. Simple parts of terrain like bushes and slight inclines are extremely difficult to navigate, often resulting in wasted time or presenting yourself as an easy target as you struggle to move or find a less optimal route around. This extends to things like the combat roll; great idea, but it only works half the time.

2. Maps- Map boundaries in particular need to be looked at in the sense that they need to be defined more clearly, whether through the use of more physical/natural barriers or otherwise. Obviously, this problem is encountered more often on multi-stage game modes. It's far to easy, for example, to jump pack over some bushes on Scarif, finding yourself outside the map with only 10 seconds to live. Or that poorly placed crevice at the edge of the Survivors of Endor walker assault map where you fall in and "get lost in a galaxy far, far away."

3. Loading Time- This one isn't entirely on you guys, but any steps taken to help alleviate this annoyance would be appreciated.

4. Playlist Rotation- I thought at some point, there were plans for fixing this in the original game? Maybe not. Put simply, if someone wants to stick with one game mode in a DLC playlist, they shouldn't be forced to leave the lobby every other match, just so they can rejoin the mode they wanted and endure the ridiculous loading times. This is especially important if Hutt Contracts or some variation of them will be in BF2. If I need X accomplishments from playing Sabotage to unlock starcards and weapons, then no, I don't want to switch to Walker Assault on Bespin after 2 matches of Sabotage. Assuming this gets fixed, a nice feature to add on would be playlist customization, sort of like the original BF2 had. Or if thats too difficult, maybe just allow players to select which modes they don't want from a DLC playlist *cough* Cargo *cough*

5. Class Customization- Ok fine, this is the one thing I'll mention about content. Most shooter games I'm familiar with typically offer around 5 or more customizable classes. You guys took a step in the right direction by allowing players to select different traits for each hand, but it's not enough. I find myself frequently switching my loadouts in between games to compensate for different maps, different game modes on each of these maps and the different stages of many of these game modes. One of the great things about this game is the variety experienced in each battle. We need more custom classes to fully appreciate the experience.

6. Quality Testing- Please for the love of God, more of this. I've probably encountered modded MW2 lobbies that were more balanced than some of the outrageous matches I've had to endure in Battlefront while at the height of some of its worst bug/glitch phases (Lando, Walker Assault heroes, etc.)

I apologize for the length of this, but I critique because I care about the future of this franchise. I really do love this game, even with all its faults. I know many players blame "the devs" for the games problems, but in truth I believe we were delivered an unfinished game as a result of perhaps an unrealistic timeline set by greedy execs who wanted to make a quick buck off the hype that was sure the follow the release of The Force Awakens. I cannot express enough how eager I am to see what the next installment will have in store for players. As a final note, Star Wars fans everywhere can absolutely appreciate the time and painstaking effort the developers put into the details and authenticity of the experience in the form of environments, weapons, vehicles and heroes. In that sense, your team exceeded expectations in regards to the creation of a truly immersive experience. But please, please pass on to your bosses, awesome graphics are not a substitute for a lack of content.

Thanks for everything you've done for the Star Wars community!

Replies

• Old_fella_1963
    4697 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    You missed the biggest frustration of all - the servers and netcode
  • In general I agree with you

1. Seems like there handling this
    2. Aside from that one problem on a scarif map (scarif jungle I believe) I haven't noticed anything so it's not really a recurring problem.
    3. Not a big deal for me but probably for other people so should be fix. I don't mind it on Battlefield 1 so maybe if they just make it a bit more interesting and stop the really long waits II'll be fine.
    4. This is fixed. The player base is no longer segmented because there is no dlcs
    5. So with the class system is this still a problem?
    6. Yes. Bug fixes are important

Dice did do a really good job with authenticity and other things relating to the maps.
  • You missed the biggest frustration of all - the servers and netcode
    Server browser?
  • Server browser does not solve it....they need to have substantially improved their netcode algorithms AND server provisioning
  • The allowing of switching classes is a backwards step as was allowing another trait in your hand in bf2015. Starcard combos could easily have been restricted don't need classes to do that. Was better for players to choose then have to adapt to what was in front of them for duration of match
  • The allowing of switching classes is a backwards step as was allowing another trait in your hand in bf2015. Starcard combos could easily have been restricted don't need classes to do that. Was better for players to choose then have to adapt to what was in front of them for duration of match
    I see the logic behind why they did it but in the end the star card system was broken for many reasons which made that slight limitation obsolete.