criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Skirmish is awful

With so many people complaining there wont be anything else added to it, I had a quick go yesterday just to see what its all about. I chucked the difficulty onto medium and grabbed a hero token, went Vader.

The thing was infuriatingly annoying. You know the way the ai just take a few shots at you, then stop, then start again?

So I'm walking about through the trees, trying to enjoy myself and the shots are hitting me like

Tshh

Tshh

Tshh

Tshh

Tshh

I mean, it was like Chinese water torture. And I was that bored I could barely be **** blocking

The ai themselves were just sort of stood about looking confused, or they had that caught in two minds look

I was gonna go on but you get the picture with this. And I know people have said they like to unwind without the usual online antics, but I'd rather just take an odd anti vehicle hand or summin into WA and **** around a bit than bother with this again. God only knows why people want to play blast against the Tshh Tshh mob

So how are people getting their kicks on here? And why want more of something that's obviously broken and half hearted?

Replies

• You should see the other maps where the enemy ai are gods at strafing in starfighters. Even in the easiest mode, they still find and shoot you, there's just no damage or something.
    Don't click unless you want to know the truth....
  • Yeah, the AI starships are better than any real pilots I've seen in this game, ha ha. If they worked on that, smarter AI and fixed the Hero token bug it'd be very playable. As of now i can only play 1 match every now and then.
  • Simple answer is Star Wars fandom and being able to revisit beautiful maps of known and nostalgic locations with no competition for Hero Tokens or whatever else. I love OT Star Wars. I like visiting OT locations when I choose.

I like wrecking as Vader or Boba a whole match on easy. Online I never get Hero Tokens. Usually if I play Rebels I play on Master and don't use Heroes which actually forces effort to win.

There's plenty of reasons why I love it. I certainly agree from a competitive shooter mindset online is leagues better and I wouldn't argue against it, but I come from mostly offline gaming in childhood so I love chilling and living out a fantasy sometimes after work rather than play online. And did I mention I love OT Star Wars?
  • Simple answer is Star Wars fandom and being able to revisit beautiful maps of known and nostalgic locations with no competition for Hero Tokens or whatever else. I love OT Star Wars. I like visiting OT locations when I choose.

I like wrecking as Vader or Boba a whole match on easy. Online I never get Hero Tokens. Usually if I play Rebels I play on Master and don't use Heroes which actually forces effort to win.

There's plenty of reasons why I love it. I certainly agree from a competitive shooter mindset online is leagues better and I wouldn't argue against it, but I come from mostly offline gaming in childhood so I love chilling and living out a fantasy sometimes after work rather than play online. And did I mention I love OT Star Wars?

Having a go of the heroes in a relatively calmer mode I can see some attraction to mate defo, first thing I did was look for a token, its just mode itself is so half **** it actually detracts from the star wars atmosphere rather than allow me to enjoy it. Obviously see your points tho.

And yeah I do remember the ridiculous ai strafing from the only time I've tried this before. Played jundland Walker Assault and got immediately pestered by an x wing, thought, 'oh its like that is it' and turned it off.
  • Jrob122
    4638 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    lol yeah it's pretty bad... I would play it all the time if we had more of it
  • Jrob122 wrote: »

Why when its so bad :p :#

Shame a lot of these maps will eventually die though
  • Biggest problem with skirmish is the AI
    Add 2551 to my post count
    ru0TXZb.gif
  • ATE_ARMS wrote: »
    Jrob122 wrote: »

Why when its so bad :p :#

Shame a lot of these maps will eventually die though

It's so bad because it's so bleak. There's one mode that I play and playing on the same maps gets boring. Plus the AI is terrible. If they improved the AI and added everything to it, then it'd be fantastic
  • If the ai was decent, I'd play it too most likely..occasionally at least. When I started it yesterday I had like a fleeting thought that I could be imaginative, create a scenario as if I was Vader leading the troops into a key rebel compound, for some larger purpose, but it was dashed

Thinking about it there's probably quite a few younger kids playing it.
  • Jrob122
    4638 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Yes Vader leading all 5 AI troops that spawn in because the mode is a glitched pile of Bantha poodoo lol. Definitely living out my Star Wars fantasies
  • Jrob122 wrote: »
    Yes Vader leading all 5 AI troops that spawn in because the mode is a glitched pile of Bantha poodoo lol. Definitely living out my Star Wars fantasies

The stuff dreams are made of ;)
  • Jarrad
    2270 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    ATE_ARMS wrote: »

Speaking of dreams, the dreams for Skirmish in this game and the now realized harsh reality of it kind of remind me of a quote from a movie made way back when that was based on a real life event:

200_s.gif
  • Jarrad wrote: »

Speaking of dreams, the dreams for Skirmish in this game and the now realized harsh reality of it kind of remind me of a quote from a movie made way back when that was based on a real life event:

200_s.gif

Just gotta hope they make up for it next time man

I'm surprised the backlash against it wasn't bigger tbh, quite a few people must have just been glad they at least tried.
  • I know I've said this before, but what if DICE just makes the DLCs part of the base game in Bf2?
  • Jarrad wrote: »

200_s.gif

Titanic_815f94_954634.jpg
    You can't spell "steal" without EA

hxed7ph501zd.png
  • Schweinwinder
    619 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    as a guy that has been playing online games for over a decade now, i have to agree that skirmish is boring in comparison to online multiplayer. but i do know that there are a lot of inexperienced players that enjoy skirmish because dudes like me are making them go 3/25 on K/D. its like terrorist hunt on R6, Horde on Gears of War or zombies on CoD. i think all shooters need a mode like skirmish, and i think EA should spend time making it better. i dont care for it, but i know many do.
  • as a guy that has been playing online games for over a decade now, i have to agree that skirmish is boring in comparison to online multiplayer. but i do know that there are a lot of inexperienced players that enjoy skirmish because dudes like me are making them go 3/25 on K/D. its like terrorist hunt on R6, Horde on Gears of War or zombies on CoD. i think all shooters need a mode like skirmish, and i think EA should spend time making it better. i dont care for it, but i know many do.

Appreciate seeing a multiplayer fan care for other's interests for the benefit of the community as a whole!
  • I know I've said this before, but what if DICE just makes the DLCs part of the base game in Bf2?

I wish another studio took ove
    enohado wrote: »
    as a guy that has been playing online games for over a decade now, i have to agree that skirmish is boring in comparison to online multiplayer. but i do know that there are a lot of inexperienced players that enjoy skirmish because dudes like me are making them go 3/25 on K/D. its like terrorist hunt on R6, Horde on Gears of War or zombies on CoD. i think all shooters need a mode like skirmish, and i think EA should spend time making it better. i dont care for it, but i know many do.

Appreciate seeing a multiplayer fan care for other's interests for the benefit of the community as a whole!

Agreed, i never understood why some ppl on here act like "oh i dont play offline.... so screw those people they shouldnt have fun".
  • ATE_ARMS wrote: »
    Jarrad wrote: »

200_s.gif

Just gotta hope they make up for it next time man

I'm surprised the backlash against it wasn't bigger tbh, quite a few people must have just been glad they at least tried.

Apathy ... I think more people would have kicked off considering the money they shelled out, but what's the point? EA/Dice are going to do what they want to do regardless of Twitter complaints, threads on here, etc.

I think the only real thing to do is take a long hard look at whether to pre-order and purchase BF2. A large portion of EA/Dice's core audience are going to be a lot more sceptical and cautious come December this year...
  • I think what would make Skirmish more enjoyable is to be able to customize it yourself. e.g. like have a settings page where you could toggle what weapons, starcards and vehicles are included for both teams.
    That way you could turn off those annoying star fighters,if it was multiplayer would be to busy fighting other star fighters anyway.