criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Automatic Melee Issue In Game?!

I have noticed something really annoying as of recently. Not sure if it's caused by the last update/patch, but it seems it has been going since that time. Whenever I'm in a WA or DLC game, my soldier–no matter what weapon I'm firing with, always initiates a melee move automatically. It's not my controller, my settings, or user error because this has never happened to me before until the last few weeks. I brushed it off earlier, but now I think it's a bug. Whenever I shoot an enemy, near or far in the distance, the damn melee automatically happens. So in a game of Battle Station last night in the Death Star, I was paying close attention to my teammates while in gun fire, and I saw two other guys go into melee movement when the enemies were firing from afar. It's super annoying because an enemy can come within 5-10 feet of me, and as I'm firing, the stupid melee move overrides my gunfire and I get killed by the enemy. Anyone else experiencing this? I'm on the PS4, btw.

Replies

• Yes, I am on xbox. It happened to me the same why you described it.
  • Yes, I am on xbox. It happened to me the same why you described it.

Thanx, Darth. Glad to know I'm not the only one experiencing this. I suspect it's a new bug from the last patch. So now, both consoles are confirmed for this issue.
  • Been playing a lot of WA Skirmish and this melee issue does not happen at all in offline mode. But the moment I play an online game, it happens. So it seems to be an issue in multiplayer.
  • Another Xbox1 user experiencing the same melee issue. If the melee blocked blaster fire then ok, maybe, but it doesn't so you wind up dead.

Did not see this in the patch notes so I'd report it as a bug but they've moved on to SWBF2 so...
    #StarWars-y
  • I believe you can switch the melee and crouch buttons around, try that and see if you start crouching randomly. If so, then it's a pretty safe bet you're accidentally pressing R3.
  • I used to Melee Attack by accident all the time. It was silly for EA to assign Melee Attack to R3 by default. It's too easy when moving the analog stick to press it in by accident. The "Alternate" configuration swaps button assignments for Melee Attack and Crouch as moondynemc said. That's all it does.
  • I switched mine because I kept doing right in the middle gun fights.
  • I switched mine because I kept doing right in the middle gun fights.

I can't speak for X-Box, but the PS4 factory supplied controllers (and perhaps others, I haven't tried any 3rd party controllers myself) have some over-sensitivity issues when it comes to L3, R3 and the directional pad. I used to experience a fair amount of unintended shadow boxing (melee attack, R3) that would cause me to lose gunfights. And then, after the trait updates I started walking lots more and would also observe that I would occasionally start running without deliberately pressing L3 at all. It soon became apparent that this could happen without the normal button push feedback, meaning that even without pushing L3 or R3 hard enough to get feedback you can still get a button push effect. This was on a relatively new (< 6 months old) controller.

Using the PS4 accessibility settings I switched R3 and <Down> on my directional pad, so now I press <Down> to melee and press R3 to toggle 3rd person view between right/left shoulder (or hold to switch between 3rd & 1st person). I still get accidental button pushes on R3, but that just switches left/right 3rd person view which isn't nearly such a handicap in a gunfight. On the other hand, now when I press <Down> to melee during a (stressful) combat situation I almost always get an accompanying audible emote. So if you play on PS4 and you hear someone emoting "I can't hear you!" during a melee attack, it was probably me. I can reproduce this effect during pre-game emote time by pushing <Down> much harder than normal.

TL;DR - Button sensitivity on PS4 controllers is such that you can sometimes push the button even though you are sure you didn't.
  • Have also noticed that sometimes my charge card gets used although I did not hold the button.
  • On PC, never seen this issue with anyone. I'd think it would be the console hardware, but clearly Xbox and PS4 have these issues.
  • LastOneToKnow
    600 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    thedrum808 wrote: »
    On PC, never seen this issue with anyone. I'd think it would be the console hardware, but clearly Xbox and PS4 have these issues.

It's the console default controller layout. Melee Attack is assigned to R3, i.e. pressing in the right analog stick. In the middle of firefights it's quite easy to accidentally press the right stick in as you're either aiming or moving vigorously. When this happens you stop firing and melee. Not good when you're actively exchanging fire with an opponent. The alternate controller layout swaps the button assignments for crouch and melee. Much better as worse case you crouch by accident in the middle of a firefight rather than melee.
  • bfloo
    14061 posts Member
    On PC, never seen this issue with anyone. I'd think it would be the console hardware, but clearly Xbox and PS4 have these issues.

It's the console default controller layout. Melee Attack is assigned to R3, i.e. pressing in the right analog stick. In the middle of firefights it's quite easy to accidentally press the right stick in as you're either aiming or moving vigorously. When this happens you stop firing and melee. Not good when you're actively exchanging fire with an opponent. The alternate controller layout swaps the button assignments for crouch and melee. Much better as worse case you crouch by accident in the middle of a firefight rather than melee.

I think people are hitting the button. I used to do this a lot. It still happens on occasion when I need to turn quick when getting flanked.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• bfloo wrote: »

I think people are hitting the button. I used to do this a lot. It still happens on occasion when I need to turn quick when getting flanked.

This was the point of my earlier post - it sometimes doesn't require you to "hit the button" at all. Probably depends on the controller (I seem to remember seeing a specification on Amazon for old and new versions, but I haven't looked into a difference between the two), but on all three of my controllers you can be walking along and, without any feedback at all signifying a button push, suddenly you're running. This can happen during a gentle stroll, with no stressful combat to make you question whether it might have been triggered when you tried to change direction too forcefully.
  • i use controller on pc and when things get frantic and i try to aim closer to me or whatever fast sometimes i press the stick and melee. its to do with using force on the stick from back to forward or side to side or whatever and you get too much pressure.

as to running, i tend to run everywhere in blast to get to where the choke points are, or into cover lol.
    invalid brain token