criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
August Community Calendar
Battle Point Event Heroes Unleashed

How do we want lightsaber mechanics to be improved?

From all what I've seen the lightsaber mechanics are heavily critisiced in this game. So in this topic I wanted to discuss how they should be improved in the next game.
A thing I want you to remember first is that if they are too complex the fighting heroes will get overrunned by infantry really quick when they take you on surprise. Another thing I want you to point out is that the lightsaber mechanics in Battlefront II were even more horrible.

So my ideas: The current system works quite okay. Although they have to fix the hitboxes for the lightsabers, so you can't hit an opponent that is about 15 meters away from you. Also I would like to see being able to get multikills with a single saber swing.
If the next Battlefront brings up Clone Wars (which I hope) than they need to have good Jedi fighting mechanics to make it successful.
I would also like to see some sort of jump or sprint attack like in BF 2.

Replies

• Anoh
    8380 posts Member
    For Honor inspired mechanics, maybe for the Respawn game, it would be too complex for Battlefront
    Editor/Cinematographer - Anoh is pronounced: AhNo.
  • Anoh wrote: »
    For Honor inspired mechanics, maybe for the Respawn game, it would be too complex for Battlefront

They're going to need good light saber combat for all the Jedi that'll be in the game ;p
  • The problem with the current lightsaber combat is that there is not much flexibility. In Battlefront 2 you could move any direction and swing your lightsaber, instead of being forced to go forward.
    I also wish the 1,2,3 combo was back and stun lock was gone. That would make Jedi/Sith gameplay more easy and fun to play
  • Combo based lightsaber fighting with an energy/ force bar for force abilities.

Id like a wider range of lightsaber moves and force abilities.
  • PopoTateo
    4838 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    360 degree blocking. The saber should be twirled around the body in a fluid motion. I also would like to see unlimited blocking. I've always hated how a jedi can only hold his arm up for a few seconds.
  • bfloo
    15514 posts Member
    PopoTateo wrote: »
    360 degree blocking. The saber should be twirled around the body in a fluid motion. I also would like to see unlimited blocking. I've always hated how a jedi can only hold his arm up for a few seconds.

Not unlimited blocking, but the stamina meter only goes down when you block a shot.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• bfloo wrote: »

the stamina meter only goes down when you block a shot.

That works too.
  • I think when you get 2 lightsaber users together they should become invincible to blaster fire and enter a more complex saber duelling mode

For infantry and blaster heroes it can be kept the same but for the love of the Admiral please make some different swinging animations
    Official member of The Second Hand Club™

Proceed with the countdown!

giphy.gif
  • definitely unlimited blocking
  • thiago2103 wrote: »

I think 360 degree blocking would be more fitting as an ability , a kenobi's ability in that case as you know, he's a master of the soresu style

Ben Kenobi? Over who? Nien nunb? You're crazy. Play a different game
  • They should look at the Jedi Knight games for a good example of lightsaber combat for a video game. Battlefront is just so awkward.
  • Blazur
    4468 posts Member
    It's too bad saber combat in this game didn't have the same depth as Jedi Knight. That game nailed it.

Although I guess with only 2 saber wielders why bother putting in the effort?
    The greatest teacher, failure is.
  • TMachine97
    1022 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    If one lightsaber character attacks another and they block, their lightsabers should clash, instead of them just bouncing off each other. It doesn't have to be too complicated, just have it the way it is now but with clashing lightsabers.

The challenge will be being able to block the attack at the right time

• Give Jedi and with a wide pool of force abilities related to their force strengths without cooldowns but instead a force energy meter which is higher or lower depending on in universe force ability.
    Then give them a fighting forms which are rated. For example a high soresu rating would allow better defensive skills. Higher rated forms would enable more combos in that degree of combat, whilst all lightsaber wielder are given basic combos.

I don't think this would be to complicated for less skilled players as the majority of combat is vs infantry where a basic lightsaber strike is sufficient and the combos and force abilities would only enhance ability to take down large groups or avoid taking damage.

Examples of force abilities:

Push
    Throw
    Choke
    Lightening
    Large 360 degree push. (Would use more force energy)
    Force jump
    Force dash
    Sense (like a scan pulse) stronger force users get full outline weaker get general area.
    Saber throw.
  • CS2107
    1961 posts Member
    Give Jedi and with a wide pool of force abilities related to their force strengths without cooldowns but instead a force energy meter which is higher or lower depending on in universe force ability.
    Then give them a fighting forms which are rated. For example a high soresu rating would allow better defensive skills. Higher rated forms would enable more combos in that degree of combat, whilst all lightsaber wielder are given basic combos.

I don't think this would be to complicated for less skilled players as the majority of combat is vs infantry where a basic lightsaber strike is sufficient and the combos and force abilities would only enhance ability to take down large groups or avoid taking damage.

Push
    Throw
    Choke
    Lightening
    Force jump
    Force dash
    Sense (like a scan pulse) stronger force users get full outline weaker get general area.
    Saber throw.

That could make shooter heroes useless and seems a bit OP to me.
  • bfloo
    15514 posts Member
    TMachine97 wrote: »
    If one lightsaber character attacks another and they block, their lightsabers should clash, instead of them just bouncing off each other. It doesn't have to be too complicated, just have it the way it is now but with clashing lightsabers.

The challenge will be being able to block the attack at the right time

That used to happen. I don't know if it was removed or the timing changed.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• CS2107 wrote: »
    Give Jedi and with a wide pool of force abilities related to their force strengths without cooldowns but instead a force energy meter which is higher or lower depending on in universe force ability.

Push
    Throw
    Choke
    Lightening
    Force jump
    Force dash
    Saber throw.

That could make shooter heroes useless and seems a bit OP to me.

Vader should be able to take han solo fairly easily. Strategy should be more important for blaster heroes, like keeping distance and using explosive. Heroes should be balanced but not all equal in 1v1. Some should have more supporting roles, some better for taking out infantry. I do also think blaster heroes should be adapted. Good examples are neon nunb and boba who both have abilities which aren't cheesey and allow strategy.
  • kylenpain
    1305 posts Member

Push
    Throw
    Choke
    Lightening
    Force jump
    Force dash
    Saber throw.

not bad, this is reasonable. obviously every hero wont have more than 3 of these skills... a trait of some sort will be there tho that would make some heroes faster, better defense, better attack, etc. saber combat should be more complicated tho, when they both do the power attack they should lock blades and u should use L2 or LT(hold it) and the right stick to either push or pull towards yourself or the opponent or to the sides and make them basically do tricks/attacks by rotating the right stick in different ways. if both players go opposite ways the blades would unlock.

L1 or LB to lock on and off the other hero. players should be able to jump and crouch while locked on and some dodge button would be nice too. sabers vs blasters could be used with the same buttons to block the blaster bolts. holding left triggers to either block/deflect and tapping the bumper or l1 to lock on and off but only have to hold it if u want to switch to other heroes around u. then some characters having shorter times to block or even block and deflect at all. maybe having u have to hold RT or R2 to activate the attacks when different right stick tricks. maybe like for honor but a bit faster because the right stick and depending on who u are playing with and what combos and or tricks they have on their move set. we need it to be free and not have u stuck in battle, a ability to come in when ur about to die that makes u retreat or is a last resort knock back against the opponent would be super cool. only problem would be for pc controls and such.

also we need prone for blaster heroes and soldiers period. maybe saber heroes too. lol
  • Lonnisity
    1946 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    Definitely needs more fluidity. Being locked into an animation that takes control away from the player and rockets you forward a few feet doesn't feel anything like playing a Jedi should feel.

The Jedi Knight series, as well as the 2005 BF2 (particularly the BFX 2.0 mod) are really good examples of saber combat done right.
    "Yeah, I'm responsible these days. It's the price you pay for being successful."
  • JMaster
    2179 posts Member
    Even if there were a few very basic counters/moves, it would be enough for me. Like, Square/X for a Regular Block, Triangle/Y for a Counter Attack, nothing special. I'm fine with the standard swing in the game against infantry, that's cool, but Luke against Vader (possibly the Emperor), yeah... I would like it if it was a little less stiff and robotic.
    "I felt there was a large amount of human chauvinism... also I felt very bad that at the end the Wookie didn't get a medal also... oh, all the people got medals but the Wookie who had been in there fighting all the time, didn't get any medal, and I thought that was an example of Anti-Wookie discrimination." - Carl Sagan on the subject of Star Wars
    He knew.
  • JMaster
    2179 posts Member
    thiago2103 wrote: »
    JMaster wrote: »
    but Luke against Vader (possibly the Emperor),

No ben ?? :worried:

giphy.gif
    I was referring specifically to this game, and who knows! Maybe Ben won't be in the next one, they would love to screw with us more!
    "I felt there was a large amount of human chauvinism... also I felt very bad that at the end the Wookie didn't get a medal also... oh, all the people got medals but the Wookie who had been in there fighting all the time, didn't get any medal, and I thought that was an example of Anti-Wookie discrimination." - Carl Sagan on the subject of Star Wars
    He knew.
  • Jrob122
    4638 posts Member
    Have more than three animations.... strike right, strike left, and heavy strike animation will not suffice
  • Evazan127
    8105 posts Member
    Anoh wrote: »

For honor mechanics would be cool but not worth it because lightsabers have a minimal role in the game. Unless if infantry can carry around riot control batons then it might be worth it
  • Any things better than dealing with the 8 year old button masher mechanics of this one.

*grabs* abacus.
    luke.png
  • combos, more animations, more fluid system, more based on block and clash, cool implementation of force powers etc etc..
    something like this (obviously more 2017 :D ) :

• Xantos
    2385 posts Member

But improved, and more balanced.

No miracles required here, just competence
    "Only 10% of our playerbase played old Battlefronts, so we are going to do a Battlefront, which is not a Battlefront" -Dice 2017
  • Xantos
    2385 posts Member
    DarthCapa2 wrote: »
    combos, more animations, more fluid system, more based on block and clash, cool implementation of force powers etc etc..

Post the same stuff, and i swear i didn't meant to copy you.
    "Only 10% of our playerbase played old Battlefronts, so we are going to do a Battlefront, which is not a Battlefront" -Dice 2017
  • kylenpain wrote: »

Push
    Throw
    Choke
    Lightening
    Force jump
    Force dash
    Saber throw.

not bad, this is reasonable. obviously every hero wont have more than 3 of these skills... a trait of some sort will be there tho that would make some heroes faster, better defense, better attack, etc. saber combat should be more complicated tho, when they both do the power attack they should lock blades and u should use L2 or LT(hold it) and the right stick to either push or pull towards yourself or the opponent or to the sides and make them basically do tricks/attacks by rotating the right stick in different ways. if both players go opposite ways the blades would unlock.

L1 or LB to lock on and off the other hero. players should be able to jump and crouch while locked on and some dodge button would be nice too. sabers vs blasters could be used with the same buttons to block the blaster bolts. holding left triggers to either block/deflect and tapping the bumper or l1 to lock on and off but only have to hold it if u want to switch to other heroes around u. then some characters having shorter times to block or even block and deflect at all. maybe having u have to hold RT or R2 to activate the attacks when different right stick tricks. maybe like for honor but a bit faster because the right stick and depending on who u are playing with and what combos and or tricks they have on their move set. we need it to be free and not have u stuck in battle, a ability to come in when ur about to die that makes u retreat or is a last resort knock back against the opponent would be super cool. only problem would be for pc controls and such.

also we need prone for blaster heroes and soldiers period. maybe saber heroes too. lol

Why only three? This makes gameplay predictable.
  • Jrob122 wrote: »
    Have more than three animations.... strike right, strike left, and heavy strike animation will not suffice

Yes!
  • Xantos wrote: »
    DarthCapa2 wrote: »
    combos, more animations, more fluid system, more based on block and clash, cool implementation of force powers etc etc..

Post the same stuff, and i swear i didn't meant to copy you.

Ahah we post the same video :D