criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
July Community Calendar
Obi-Wan Kenobi Community Quests

The art of the Combat Roll

Hi, new to the forum and Battelefront. (I know, where have I been eh). Quick question; how do you combat roll? I see people doing it all the time and annoyingly I cannot do it. Im on Xbox one, heard that double tapping B is the way to do it but didnt work?

Any help appreciared! :D

Replies

• You have to be crouched, move sideways left or right and press crouch again while doing so.

Or move sideways and double tap crouch.
    I'm on PS4 so I don't know about B buttons.

You can swap crouch and melee in the controller setup so maybe crouch is on your right thumbstick now.
  • You have to be crouched, move sideways left or right and press crouch again while doing so.

You can swap crouch and melee in the controller setup so maybe crouch is on your right thumbstick now.

Thanks so much for this, will try it tonight B) To crouch I use the B button on the Xbox one.
  • Corndog75 wrote: »
    You have to be crouched, move sideways left or right and press crouch again while doing so.

Thanks so much for this, will try it tonight B) To crouch I use the B button on the Xbox one.

If that is your crouch button. If it's the analog stick then you click that two times to either left or right
  • Jrob122 wrote: »
    Corndog75 wrote: »
    You have to be crouched, move sideways left or right and press crouch again while doing so.

If that is your crouch button. If it's the analog stick then you click that two times to either left or right

Going to try both just in case! Thanks for the help B)
  • You don't have to be crouched. Just double tap the crouch button while moving to the right or left and you'll roll in that direction.
  • Febelas wrote: »
    You don't have to be crouched. Just double tap the crouch button while moving to the right or left and you'll roll in that direction.

Exactly. But here's a tip: Try to roll only when you know you won't get stuck on the stupid as hell terrain in this game. I've died countless times due to the terrible physics while getting around the terrain.
  • An issue is the timing of the double tap. Do it too quickly and the hardware might not be able to register as a double tap. Do it too slowly and the software will conclude it was two separate single taps. This is called 'de-bouncing'; hardware wires have a natural ring to them (20-100ms) range and some people can double tap this fast. Also, peoples hardware (controllers) might be glitchy. I know I have some PS4 controllers that the run (R3) will not work consistently.

So experiment with the timing of the double tap. You have to condition to get this right to roll correctly. I think that some people have after market controllers that consistently output the timing of double tap that the software expects. For example people who roll all over the board, 10-15 times consecutively. Even when you know the timing, it is difficult to get it consistently with a normal controller, but you should be able to get it 90% of the time.
  • Just double tap crouch button while moving left or right. You can shoot while rolling to so if you are using it in a fire fight keep spamming the trigger.

Also learn how to do this.

Rolling everywhere is faster than sprinting and doesn't show up on the radar.

Good luck and happy rolling buddy.
  • Thanks everyone for all your help, now looking forward to getting home to play tonight! Have to admit I am spending more time dead than alive in Battlefront so hoping some careful rolling will help a bit. Thanks again :D
  • Hurricane wrote: »
    Febelas wrote: »
    You don't have to be crouched. Just double tap the crouch button while moving to the right or left and you'll roll in that direction.

Exactly. But here's a tip: Try to roll only when you know you won't get stuck on the **** as **** terrain in this game. I've died countless times due to the terrible physics while getting around the terrain.

lolll me too man
  • MrBR210 wrote: »
    Just double tap crouch button while moving left or right. You can shoot while rolling to so if you are using it in a fire fight keep spamming the trigger.

After the helmetless trooper nonsense, who thought adding "combat rolling" was a good idea? I don't think one could sit down wearing stormtrooper armor. I know you couldn't get up from a forward roll. Roll Troopers are not a thing. They are not in any film. No one in actual combat has used a roll as a defensive maneuver since the samurai walked the Earth.
  • Hurricane wrote: »
    Febelas wrote: »

Exactly. But here's a tip: Try to roll only when you know you won't get stuck on the **** as **** terrain in this game. I've died countless times due to the terrible physics while getting around the terrain.

Good warning. Rolling is glitched to hell right now. If you find yourself rolling in place, don't be surprised.
  • MrBR210 wrote: »
    Just double tap crouch button while moving left or right. You can shoot while rolling to so if you are using it in a fire fight keep spamming the trigger.

After the helmetless trooper nonsense, who thought adding "combat rolling" was a good idea? I don't think one could sit down wearing stormtrooper armor. I know you couldn't get up from a forward roll. Roll Troopers are not a thing. They are not in any film. No one in actual combat has used a roll as a defensive maneuver since the samurai walked the Earth.

Yeah I agree but if you are looking for 100% canon franchise immersion, battlefront isn't it lol.
  • Thanks for your help, played few games and rolling well!
  • I am on PS4. can you change the controller to just have the "crouch" button be a single tap combat roll? I hardly ever crouch.. too busy running around to die faster and use corner peeking.. so I wouldn't miss it. But I have a hard time just double tapping to roll too... so I don't bother with it.