criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Community Calendar

Instant Action & PvE Feedback

Replies

• Starmasui73146
    1660 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    Hey guys and gals I just got done reading this amazing article by EA/DICE about how their A.I. came to be for "Capital Supremacy", "Co-Op" and "Instant Action". It's a great read and very interesting, you should check it out, I pasted it for you below. It explains in massive detail why they behave the way they do.

HOW ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
    HAS EVOLVED STAR WARS
    BATTLEFRONT II (By Daniel Steinholtz of EA/DICE)

If you’re a long-time player (or just generally observant), you’ve probably noticed how the implementation of non-human players – driven by AI (artificial intelligence) – has played a major role in the evolution of Star Wars™ Battlefront™ II throughout the year.

As we tend to talk a lot about the more, let’s say, tangible aspects of our game – be it new planets, heroes, reinforcements, that kind of thing – we wanted to take a moment to highlight the work of our coders and designers in this specific domain.

Hopefully, it’ll give you some noteworthy insight in how the AI operates under the hood, and why it ultimately allows our game designers to create awesome gameplay experiences and quintessential Star Wars battle moments.

The New AI in Star Wars Battlefront II – A Brief Summary
    A big milestone was reached in early 2019 as Capital Supremacy launched, introducing a brand-new AI technology. For the first time in Star Wars Battlefront II’s online multiplayer, players battled alongside and against bots (another word for AI controlled units).

The AI provided scale to the combat by increasing the sheer number of troopers on the battlefront. But it also enabled players across the entire skill spectrum to have a good time, as the bots are – if compared to seasoned veteran players – easier targets.

Since then, as part of the Cooperation Update, the AI has been put front and center in no less than two new game modes: online Co-Op and offline Instant Action. The development team doubled down on utilizing the AI to make players feel heroic on the battlefront, allowing them to create their own, larger-than-life Star Wars moments – and to just have fun without the pressure of human competition.

It All Started as a Testing Tool
    The project was started by Jonas Gillberg, Sr AI Engineer at EA, in August 2017 and involved (as mentioned above) the creation of a brand-new technology. For clarity, the initiative has nothing in common with the self-learning agents as demonstrated by SEED or the AI present in Star Wars Battlefront II’s Arcade mode.

This tech was basically built to make bots play games, so that humans don’t have to. But why?

The initial scope of the project was to build an AI to scale automated testing for large multiplayer sessions. In order to test things properly, an AI behaving as close as possible to human players was needed.

The technology is set up to provide quality assurance analysts – who analyze and test games on a regular basis – and content creators (e.g. game and level designers) high-level control of AI objectives through visual scripting. This way, when utilizing the AI for testing purposes, direct interaction with the code isn’t necessary.

Examples of high-level objectives that can be provided through visual scripting are move, defend, attack, interact, action, seek and destroy, and follow. Ultimately, the AI brain produces the right “button keys” – shoot, strafe, yaw, pitch, jump, and so on – to press at every single frame. Think of it as a robot playing the game with a controller in its hands, pressing physical buttons – but on a conceptual level. When plugged into the game engine, this makes the tool extremely versatile and applicable in almost any game.

As a testing tool, it has a massive scope. It’s used to test game clients and servers, fill up playtest servers, pre-playtest checking, co-op stability, feature testing (like driving vehicles), testing the functionality of an upcoming patch, and more. It’s also actively used by game designers to apply “brute force” and polish levels. For example, by releasing the AI on a multiplayer map, it’ll find spots where real human players could get stuck.

While created to be a testing tool mimicking human behavior, a lot of potential was still untapped. Then, as by a quirk of fate, Manuel Llanes, Design Director on Star Wars Battlefront II, tapped some coffee for him and Luca Fazari, AI Engineer at EA, and asked what he was working on. Luca had just been onboarded on the new testing tool and demonstrated the bots in action. As Manuel saw that it was server-side, performant, and really promising, things clicked. Prototyping started and was presented to the wider development team, stirring up a lot of excitement.

Soon after, Luca took on the assignment to polish up the combat system, navigation, and implement behaviors to make it a shippable feature – with the specific focus on Star Wars Battlefront II.
    Under the Hood of Star Wars Battlefront II’s New AI Tech
    As soon as you start a game of Capital Supremacy, Co-Op, or Instant Action, the AI bots immediately evaluate what to do next. This continues throughout the game, with the AI prioritizing and selecting actions based on its current state.

This is where logic creates magic (if we dare brag a little).

The AI’s decision-making can be looked upon as sub-categories working in tandem:
    * Targeting and vision. A line-of-sight check is made by the AI controlled unit in a front-facing cone view. The closest target in this view is engaged with. Targets that are in cover and not directly visible are not engaged with. Each bot tracks its current target’s positions and timestamps.
    * Looking at the last positions of the found target, the AI estimates where the target will be a couple of seconds in the future, calculates the velocity vector, and multiplies them both to predict the future position. That’s where the bot will aim. Then, of course, the accuracy of the AI is configurable, and depends on how much aim noise is added to its weapon.
    * Weapons and engaging distances. Combat decisions are based on the bot’s equipped weapon, and how far it can reach. There’s an optimal “stop and shoot” distance for each weapon, which is set slightly before the projectiles’ damage starts to drop off. This is the point at where the AI will stop moving towards the target, since 1) getting closer wouldn't deal more damage, and 2) it would make the AI an easier target as well. Each weapon is also given a float value between 0 and 1, deciding where on the target’s body the bot will aim – with 0 being at the target’s feet, and 1 at the target’s head.
    * Furthermore, the limit set for where targets will be tracked by the AI is the end of the damage drop-off multiplied by an tweakable number, deciding when the target is close enough to go after.
    * Combat maneuvers and awareness. The bot seeing through a front-facing cone view opens the possibility to sneak up behind them! However, as soon as the bot gets shot at, it’ll turn towards the player who inflicted the damage and set him or her as its priority target.
    * If the bot and the player (or other target) are facing each other, the bot will enter a state where it tries to evade and dodge its target’s projectiles while returning fire itself. The bot will strafe left and right (variating randomly each time the bot changes direction) and make the occasional movements back and forth – all within certain configurable time constraints.
    * At each change of direction, the bot will be given an opportunity to jump or make a dodge roll, as well. This controlled unpredictability, so to speak, helps to convey a sense of human behavior.

That’s the top line, but there’s even more logic set up for the AI to follow, such as:
    * Defending an area
    * Crouching and patrolling when defending an area
    * Navigating through the map in a realistic manner by using a constraint-random set of intermediate positions between the starting point and destination
    * Procedures to get out of an area where it’s stuck (where one step is for the AI to mash all buttons frantically in order to unstuck itself – visualize that!)
    * Follow objectives, circle up in formations around the player, and reach a position close to the followed player to patrol the vicinity and protect it from hostiles.
    The Specifics of the Hero Combat System
    We’d argue that there’s a palpable sense of excitement when you’re in the midst of an intense firefight in Instant Action or Co-Op, when suddenly an AI hero appears. The larger battle becomes peripheral, and you’re now dueling the merciless General Grievous or the Chosen One himself. These are instances of when players can create their own epic Star Wars moments.

There are a few things we do in terms of AI hero combat to enhance that immersion. The vision for hero bots is to recreate experiences taken from the Star Wars movies, where blocking and studying the enemy is a big component of the fight.

When the AI hero has targeted an enemy at a certain distance, there’s a range of probabilities for the bot to use one of its unique abilities (character specific attacks, buffs, or Force powers). When the target gets even closer, the real attack and guard logic kicks in.

If the AI is a lightsaber hero facing another lightsaber hero, it’ll have a window of time when it guards, and another window of time when it attacks. To make the hero bot more challenging to predict, those time slots varies randomly between some configurable min and max values – picked differently at every move decision. The same logic applies to the hero’s dash evade maneuver. 

In October, the AI heroes were updated to be even more aggressive. A new behavior, triggered when the AI’s target wields a blaster instead of a lightsaber, was also created. In this case, the AI hero will deflect the blaster fire at the shooting enemy up to a certain variable amount of time. When that time’s out, the hero bot will start charging the opponent as fast as possible.

We’ve found that last bit to be equally terrifying as it is exciting!

How Designers Utilize the New AI to Create Quintessential Star Wars Moments

There are two layers in Star Wars Battlefront II’s new AI tech. One is the tactical layer, and the other is the strategic layer. What is described above can be filed under the tactical layer; the moment-to-moment decision making written in code.

What’s up to the game designers to figure out, on the other hand, is the strategic layer. This directs how the bots, prepped by the programmers with all the tactical know-how, will go about in a specific game mode. In Star Wars Battlefront II, Viktor Lundberg, Sr Technical Designer, drives the implementations of the actual Co-Op and Instant Action game modes, and Martin Kopparhed, Sr Game Designer, scripts the bots to play the modes in strategic ways.

Looking at Co-Op as an example, this means setting up the rules for which Command Post the AI should attack and when, how many bots are sent out to defend a Command Post under attack by human players, when and how defending bots should retreat once a sector is lost, and more.

Another task is to generate a so called “navmesh,” an invisible layer applied the location itself to help the AI navigate the environment. The navmesh will do its best to prevent the AI from the occasional dive down a cliff or trying to walk through closed doors.

The designer’s work also includes creating the wave spawning of enemies, to generate peaks and valleys in intensity. This is why you’ll have really intense moments at times, where blaster fire zips through the air like it’s full-on Clone Wars, and other moments where you’ll have time to breathe out and regroup.

There’s a similar system in place for AI heroes, deciding when and how often they’re allowed to spawn, initiating periods of increased challenge – a little bit like a mini-boss!

Take the tactical and strategical layers of the AI, pair it with authentic visuals and audio, a plethora of unique characters, locations, plus all other facets that make up our game, and you have all the ingredients you need to cook your own larger-than-life Star Wars moments.

As with the game as a whole, our AI tech is in constant evolution. Stay up-to-date by checking this space, our EA Star Wars social channels, and forums.

If your appetite for knowledge on how Star Wars Battlefront II is made still isn’t quelled, we have a few more articles ready for you to digest:

Animating Anakin Skywalker
    The Concept Art of Star Wars Battlefront II
    Living World and the Battle Beyond
    The Making of Geonosis
    The Making of a Hero
    The Creation of Ewok Hunt
    Visual Effects in Star Wars Battlefront II
    –Daniel Steinholtz (Follow Daniel on Twitter @dsteinholtz)

Make sure to join the discussions on our official forums or on social – follow EA Star Wars on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.

Also, sign up today to receive the latest Star Wars Battlefront II news, updates, behind-the-scenes content, exclusive offers, and more (including other EA news, products, events, and promotions) by email.

P.S. - For a full view of all video images please click on the following link.
    https://www.ea.com/games/starwars/battlefront/star-wars-battlefront-2/news/ai-article-deep-dive

So there you have it, that is how they did it. Quite extraordinary if you ask me. 👍🏼
    Post edited by Starmasui73146 on
    “There is always hope.”
  • I think since IA gets the least amount of people playing compared to CS or COOP it's a low priority. Crait and Starkiller base can totally work for IA, but are possibly held back due to making it work for CS. I don't know how we can convince the developers to add these 2 maps to IA. If this is what they are doing, don't count on Death Star 2 being available for IA either since the Ship Phase wouldn't work for DS2 (this is the reason Ben Walke said why Starkiller base would not work for CS) Since the IA maps are based of CS maps, IA will suffer.
  • Oilerfan78 wrote: »
    I think since IA gets the least amount of people playing compared to CS or COOP it's a low priority. Crait and Starkiller base can totally work for IA, but are possibly held back due to making it work for CS. I don't know how we can convince the developers to add these 2 maps to IA. If this is what they are doing, don't count on Death Star 2 being available for IA either since the Ship Phase wouldn't work for DS2 (this is the reason Ben Walke said why Starkiller base would not work for CS) Since the IA maps are based of CS maps, IA will suffer.

That's interesting because I play "Instant Action" nearly every day, especially Felucia. Plus since "Co-Op" arrived "Capital Supremacy" was a ghost town. It only just recently got active again due to new content sooooo I'm not sure where your reasoning is coming from. It's true that "Co-Op"s popularity dropped down a tad when they divided the player base between Dark Side and Light. But it is still a popular mode.

“There is always hope.”
    I think since IA gets the least amount of people playing compared to CS or COOP it's a low priority. Crait and Starkiller base can totally work for IA, but are possibly held back due to making it work for CS. I don't know how we can convince the developers to add these 2 maps to IA. If this is what they are doing, don't count on Death Star 2 being available for IA either since the Ship Phase wouldn't work for DS2 (this is the reason Ben Walke said why Starkiller base would not work for CS) Since the IA maps are based of CS maps, IA will suffer.

That's interesting because I play "Instant Action" nearly every day, especially Felucia. Plus since "Co-Op" arrived "Capital Supremacy" was a ghost town. It only just recently got active again due to new content sooooo I'm not sure where your reasoning is coming from. It's true that "Co-Op"s popularity dropped down a tad when they divided the player base between Dark Side and Light. But it is still a popular mode.

I know COOP is very popular and will be getting 4 of the 5 ST maps while CS/IA are getting 3 of the 5.
    Based on a community survey a couple of months ago, Coop was very well received. IA was well received. I forget what CS was stated as being. My reasoning is that CS and COOP get the majority of players between the 3 (CS, IA, COOP).

Instant action is my go to mode. I love the freedom of no playlist, but being able to play any map I want, how I want and when I want. I'm loving the CW maps for IA.

There has been some rumblings of Crait and Starkiller base not coming to IA due to difficulties making those maps work.

CS is tied to IA due to DICE using the same maps. If there can't be a ship phase, then DICE likely finds the mostly indoor maps (Death Star 2 , Crait, Starkiller Base, possibly Hoth) difficult to make for CS, therefore won't make an IA counterpart. I'd love for IA maps to be made even though the CS equivalent would be hard to make.
    Hope this makes a bit more sense.
    Oilerfan78 wrote: »

I know COOP is very popular and will be getting 4 of the 5 ST maps while CS/IA are getting 3 of the 5.
    Based on a community survey a couple of months ago, Coop was very well received. IA was well received. I forget what CS was stated as being. My reasoning is that CS and COOP get the majority of players between the 3 (CS, IA, COOP).

Instant action is my go to mode. I love the freedom of no playlist, but being able to play any map I want, how I want and when I want. I'm loving the CW maps for IA.

There has been some rumblings of Crait and Starkiller base not coming to IA due to difficulties making those maps work.

CS is tied to IA due to DICE using the same maps. If there can't be a ship phase, then DICE likely finds the mostly indoor maps (Death Star 2 , Crait, Starkiller Base, possibly Hoth) difficult to make for CS, therefore won't make an IA counterpart. I'd love for IA maps to be made even though the CS equivalent would be hard to make.
    Hope this makes a bit more sense.

Thanks for the clarity. 👍🏼
    “There is always hope.”
  • I know we are all sad about losing Starkiller, The Capital Ships and Crait, but just think about it. Even without those maps we are still getting 3 LARGE SCALE OFFLINE maps in the January update, even if it sounds small, that is easily the second best update this game has ever received.

I know we'd all love to have all of the maps in IA, but this is a start, hopefully a sign of plenty more to come. I know I'll be having a blast in January and I hope you all will too!
    Instant Action is on the horizon! Thank you DICE so much for this incredible addition to the game!
  • I know we are all sad about losing Starkiller, The Capital Ships and Crait, but just think about it. Even without those maps we are still getting 3 LARGE SCALE OFFLINE maps in the January update, even if it sounds small, that is easily the second best update this game has ever received.

I know we'd all love to have all of the maps in IA, but this is a start, hopefully a sign of plenty more to come. I know I'll be having a blast in January and I hope you all will too!

Afaik it has not been confirmed that those will be instantly all at once available in IA. Or am i wrong there?
  • they better not leave the offline hanging like they did in 2015bf. offline instant action definitely needs as many maps, options, and eras as possible.

2015 Skirmish had SOO much potential and they practically threw it away. I know it was two guys who did it and DICE is a company, but they could've done something. Two guys can't do everything. So imagine what DICE could've done. New modes, new maps, customization, heck probably leveling up or something along those lines, all this could've/ should've been offline. Glad DICE changed when it came to Arcade/Instant Action, but there is a lot of work to make IA great.

if it was just two guys, they should honestly have those guys go finish it lol. I'm forever wanting the dlc walker assaults and fighter squadrons. thats it. but yeah battlefront 2 has a lot of potential that hopefully they wont mess up. loving instant action already but yeah needs more maps, eras, options.

I honestly don't know what happened to those guys, but I can wait for more maps and eras, don't get me wrong I still want them, but we need more options!

One of those guys is definitely working on IA / Co-op now.
    ITS HAPPENIIIING!!! ^^

Instant Action confirmed!!! ^^

#SoloPlayers

Check out our extensive, ongoing Co-op Playthrough /Discussion of Arcade / Instant Action mode on my YouTube too!^^

• Starmasui73146
    1660 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    I know we are all sad about losing Starkiller, The Capital Ships and Crait, but just think about it. Even without those maps we are still getting 3 LARGE SCALE OFFLINE maps in the January update, even if it sounds small, that is easily the second best update this game has ever received.

Yeah true.
    Afaik it has not been confirmed that those will be instantly all at once available in IA. Or am I wrong there?

DICE update
    #2 December 17th confirmed new ST (sequel trilogy) content for "The Rise of Skywalker" film.

New Trilogy Maps Added to Co-Op:
    (1.) Jakku
    (2.) Takodana
    (3.) Starkiller Base

Skins:
    (4.) Rey
    (5.) Finn
    (6.) Kylo Ren

New Reenforcement Classes
    First Order
    (7.) Sith Trooper - excelling in speed and advanced weaponry to hunt down and destroy anyone that stands in their way.
    (8.) Jet Trooper - Achieve aerial superiority over the Resistance by using your grenade-attachment enhanced blaster rifle as you dodge, hover and maneuver through the air.
    First Order Jetpack Trooper and Sith Trooper
    ok18dzgvyw3r.png

Resistance:
    (9.) Gunner
    zqr237udnxuq.jpeg
    (10.) Spy Unit
    6xsee0azyos1.jpeg

#3 December 20th
    (11.) New Map added to "Co-Op", "Heroes Vs Villains", "*Capital Supremacy" and "*Instant Action"
    Ajann Kloss
    - a new jungle planet from Star Wars: "The Rise of Skywalker"

*P.S.- No confirmation as of yet if the new map will be ready for "Capital Supremacy" and "Instant Action" in time for the December 20th release window. But "Co-Op" and "HvsV" are confirmed by this date.

January Content

"Instant Action" Sequel Trilogy maps:
    (1.) Jakku
    (2.) Takodana

"Capital Supremacy" Sequel Trilogy Maps:
    (1.) Resistance MC85 Star Cruiser
    (2.) First Order Resurgent-class Star Destroyer.

New Heroes:
    (1.) BB-8 (Resistence BB series Astro Mech droid) (2.) BB-9E (First Order BB series Astro Mech droid)

So again here's what maps are coming to what:
    (Online) Co-Op
    (1.) new planet
    Ajann Kloss
    - jungle planet
    (2.) Jakku
    (3.) Takodana
    (4.) Starkiller Base

(Online) "Capital Supremacy"
    (1.) new planet
    Ajann Kloss
    - jungle planet
    (2.) Jakku
    (3.) Takodana

For Offline "Instant Action"
    (1.) new planet
    Ajann Kloss
    - jungle planet
    (2.) Jakku
    (3.) Takodana

aaaaaand here's confirmation of that...
    Well here's what Ben said about "Instant Action" maps coming:
    Ben mentioned ST maps:
    uxv5zo43jhz0.png(warning all release dates are subject to change).

Anything beyond this is now up in the air but this is what DICE said at "Instant Action" way back when.

launch:

Regarding OT and ST content:
    Comment by F8RGE:
    "For now. We feel that our eyes are starting to focus on eras other than Clone Wars."

Regarding Vehicles...
    Just a reminder of what DICE has promised us:
    Instant Action
    We’re happy to announce that Instant Action is making its return to the Battlefront franchise, and we think it’s something a number of you are really going to like. Each month, we’ve seen the comments about a large-scale game mode that can be enjoyed within a singleplayer environment. We know that solo players matter and can confirm it’s real and it’s arriving in September!
    In this mode, both teams are fighting over five Command Posts (similar to Capital Supremacy). Hold a majority of them until your team score reaches 100% to win the game.
    Key info
    * Single player large scale combat experience
    * Fight to control Command Posts
    * You fight alongside AI
    * You fight against a team of AI
    * The enemy team will be made up of
    regular troopers, reinforcements, heroes, and vehicles.
    * You can spawn on Command Posts using the Contextual Spawn system
    * Control a majority of the Command Posts until your team score reaches 100%
    * Able to choose to play as either light side or dark side
    * Can be played offline, without the need for an internet connection

"Will the friendly AI team be able to play as reinforcements/ vehicles/ heroes in "Instant Action" because the CT only say that the enemy teams will be able to play as them?"

F8RGE
    "Yes they do."

Soooooo vehicles will come, it's just not yet ready I guess. There must be some mega balancing issues. That's to bad.

Source Material for December 17th and 20th:
    https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/149813/community-transmission-celebration-edition-the-rise-of-skywalker/p1

Source of New Jungle Planet Name:
    https://screenrant.com/star-wars-9-rise-skywalker-jungle-planet-name/tldr/1

“There is always hope.”

Afaik it has not been confirmed that those will be instantly all at once available in IA. Or am i wrong there?

Jakku and the new planet are confirmed to come in January. Ben recently confirmed, that Takodana will come as well but he didn't specify when this is going to happen. But anyway we are getting at least two new large-scale maps in January, most likely including 6 new AI Heroes and 7 new AI Reinforcements. Perhaps we will receive AI Vehicles as well anytime soon. And likely we will be able to play as an AT-ST offline as well.
    All in all i'm really looking forward to play the December and January Updates.
  • Ah ok, thanks then @Imladithil2002 and @Starmasui73146

Jakku and the new planet are confirmed to come in January. Ben recently confirmed, that Takodana will come as well but he didn't specify when this is going to happen. But anyway we are getting at least two new large-scale maps in January, most likely including 6 new AI Heroes and 7 new AI Reinforcements. Perhaps we will receive AI Vehicles as well anytime soon. And likely we will be able to play as an AT-ST offline as well.

Really? Can you list those 7 reinforcements please because I only know of two for the First Order and two for the Resistance.

@FORGE Are we getting the A.I. Destroyer (Droideka) soon? 🤗
    “There is always hope.”

Really? Can you list those 7 reinforcements please because I only know of two for the First Order and two for the Resistance.

@FORGE Are we getting the A.I. Destroyer (Droideka) soon? 🤗

With "7 new AI Reinforcements" i meant every ST Reinforcement (existing ones and upcoming ones), that currently isn't available for the AI in Instant Action (or the AI in general in this game), so that means: Sith Troopers, Jet Troopers, Flame Troopers, Resistance Gunners, Resistance Spies and the Resistance and First Order Jumptroopers (the Wookie Warrior is already available for the AI in Instant Action). Sorry for the confusion...
  • @Starmasui73146 The Resistance Spy and Gunner have already been confirmed to be brand new Alien species.
    Instant Action is on the horizon! Thank you DICE so much for this incredible addition to the game!
  • @Starmasui73146 The Resistance Spy and Gunner have already been confirmed to be brand new Alien species.

This is true. Not humans but aliens we've never seen before (apparently).
    Instant Action Saved The Offline Community!!

FRIENDLY FIRE -> ON/Off in IA
  • Starmasui73146
    1660 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    Resistance:
    Gunner
    Is this the Resistance Gunner reinforcement coming?
    royrdzyecoy0.png

Spy Unit
    Is this the Resistance Spy unit coming?
    vlywbw9jmini.png
    @Starmasui73146 The Resistance Spy and Gunner have already been confirmed to be brand new Alien species.
    @Starmasui73146 The Resistance Spy and Gunner have already been confirmed to be brand new Alien species.

This is true. Not humans but aliens we've never seen before (apparently).

Oh thank God. You have no idea how big of a relief that is. Talk about a load of depression off my back. I sooooo did not want it to be those two images. I wanted a Bothan spy or something.
    “There is always hope.”
  • I'm glad we're also going to be getting Takodana in Instant Action with the other two maps. :) That said, isn't it coming in the January update? I can swear Ben said they were going to release ALL of the ST content all at once for CS and IA instead of spreading it out like they did with the Clone Wars content.
  • I'm glad about it too, having the new Reinforcements just be humans in slightly different outfits would've been quite underwhelming, especially when fighting a bunch of them. It's going to be great to see some new Aliens in the game!!
  • Starmasui73146
    1660 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    I'm glad we're also going to be getting Takodana in Instant Action with the other two maps. :) That said, isn't it coming in the January update? I can swear Ben said they were going to release ALL of the ST content all at once for CS and IA instead of spreading it out like they did with the Clone Wars content.
    Yes Takodana (supposedly) is coming in January. The devs I believe said that back when they first announced the Sequel Trilogy content for "The Rise of Skywalker".

This is what DICE had said...

The next update for Star Wars Battlefront II is titled The Rise of Skywalker and as you might have guessed, it focuses on content around the upcoming, highly anticipated film.

So what’s coming in the update? First off we have a brand-new jungle planet. You might have caught a glimpse of this jungle like planet in the last trailer for Star Wars™: The Rise of Skywalker™. We’re bringing this planet to Co-Op in December, where you’ll be playing as either the Resistance or First Order as the conflict spreads to this tropical paradise. It will also be coming to Heroes Vs. Villains.

A new planet is great but we’ve also previously mentioned new reinforcements, and this month we have four brand new ones arriving into the game, split evenly between the Resistance and the First Order.

Joining the ranks of the First Order will be the Sith Trooper, a merciless trooper excelling in speed and advanced weaponry to hunt down and destroy anyone that stands in their way.

Alongside the Sith Trooper will be the First Order Jet Trooper that has received new training and jetpack equipment to achieve dominance over the Resistance . Achieve aerial superiority over the Resistance by using your grenade-attachment enhanced blaster rifle as you dodge, hover and maneuver through the air.

Taking up arms for the Resistance will be the Gunner and Spy unit. These are two new alien species from Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker.

Since the release of Co-Op, one of the big requests was focused around bringing new eras to the mode. This month we can confirm that the Sequel Trilogy will be arriving into Co-Op across the following maps: Jakku, Takodana, Starkiller Base and our new Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker inspired planet.

New appearances are also on the way. Rey, Finn and Kylo Ren will all be receiving a brand new appearance based on The Rise of Skywalker. These appearances will be available to everyone who owns the Celebration Edition, and also for credits and crystals.

The release of this update is ever so slightly different when compared to previous ones. It goes live on December 17, with one exception to this rule, the new planet, which joins our planetary rotations from December 20.

In January, we will continue with Sequel Trilogy content as we will bring it to both Instant Action and Capital Supremacy. This includes the Resistance MC85 and First Order Resurgent-class Star Destroyer.

Rounding out January will also be two new heroes: BB-8 and BB-9E.

P.S. - I caught that (two new aliens) comment well done, good memory. 👍🏼

They did however recently say that things are subject to schedule changes (i.e - "That's what we have in mind. Obviously things may change. But that is what we're working towards.") So yeah anythings possible really (maps could come sooner, maps could come latter. They get here when they get here (shrug).

I'm glad about it too, having the new Reinforcements just be humans in slightly different outfits would've been quite underwhelming, especially when fighting a bunch of them. It's going to be great to see some new Aliens in the game!!

Here, here.

4skhxk7pbktv.png

I'm confused about DICE's comment. Since moving to the ship for Starkiller Base makes no sense, how about instead doing it more like say Galactic Assault, where you try to explode it from within. Just like we do on Deathstar 2 on Galactic Assault? I hope that they do it that way for Capital Supremacy it would be unique.

“There is always hope.”
  • I'm glad we're also going to be getting Takodana in Instant Action with the other two maps. :) That said, isn't it coming in the January update? I can swear Ben said they were going to release ALL of the ST content all at once for CS and IA instead of spreading it out like they did with the Clone Wars content.
    Yes Takodana (supposedly) is coming in January. The devs I believe said that back when they first announced the Sequel Trilogy content for "The Rise of Skywalker".

This what DICE had said...

The next update for Star Wars Battlefront II is titled The Rise of Skywalker and as you might have guessed, it focuses on content around the upcoming, highly anticipated film.

So what’s coming in the update? First off we have a brand-new jungle planet. You might have caught a glimpse of this jungle like planet in the last trailer for Star Wars™: The Rise of Skywalker™. We’re bringing this planet to Co-Op in December, where you’ll be playing as either the Resistance or First Order as the conflict spreads to this tropical paradise. It will also be coming to Heroes Vs. Villains.

A new planet is great but we’ve also previously mentioned new reinforcements, and this month we have four brand new ones arriving into the game, split evenly between the Resistance and the First Order.

Joining the ranks of the First Order will be the Sith Trooper, a merciless trooper excelling in speed and advanced weaponry to hunt down and destroy anyone that stands in their way.

Alongside the Sith Trooper will be the First Order Jet Trooper that has received new training and jetpack equipment to achieve dominance over the Resistance . Achieve aerial superiority over the Resistance by using your grenade-attachment enhanced blaster rifle as you dodge, hover and maneuver through the air.

Taking up arms for the Resistance will be the Gunner and Spy unit. These are two new alien species from Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker.

Since the release of Co-Op, one of the big requests was focused around bringing new eras to the mode. This month we can confirm that the Sequel Trilogy will be arriving into Co-Op across the following maps: Jakku, Takodana, Starkiller Base and our new Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker inspired planet.

New appearances are also on the way. Rey, Finn and Kylo Ren will all be receiving a brand new appearance based on The Rise of Skywalker. These appearances will be available to everyone who owns the Celebration Edition, and also for credits and crystals.

The release of this update is ever so slightly different when compared to previous ones. It goes live on December 17, with one exception to this rule, the new planet, which joins our planetary rotations from December 20.

In January, we will continue with Sequel Trilogy content as we will bring it to both Instant Action and Capital Supremacy. This includes the Resistance MC85 and First Order Resurgent-class Star Destroyer.

They did however recently say that things are subject to schedule changes (i.e - "That's what we have in mind. Obviously things may change. But that is what we're working towards.") So yeah anythings possible really (maps could come sooner, maps could come latter. They get here when they get here (shrug).

I'm glad about it too, having the new Reinforcements just be humans in slightly different outfits would've been quite underwhelming, especially when fighting a bunch of them. It's going to be great to see some new Aliens in the game!!

Here, here.

4skhxk7pbktv.png

I'm confused about DICE's comment. Since moving to the ship for Starkiller Base makes no sense, how about instead doing it more like say Galactic Assault, where you try to explode it from within. Just like we do on Deathstar 2 on Galactic Assault? I hope that they do it that way for Capital Supremacy it would be unique.

I agree with you. For CS, have something when if you get a certain amount of percentage points for capturing the CP's, a generator or something important inside the base opens up for the resistance to shoot. The First order has to hold Starkiller base for certain a time limit. I guess this idea sounds too similar to Galactic Assault.

Or maybe have it like Capital supremacy where instead of the ship phase, have the resistance earn a certain amount of percentage by capturing cp's, and the shields go down. The game then switches to an aerial dogfight using the outdoors part of the map where resistance fighters have a time limit to shoot turrets or "a core" or some sort before the shields go back up. These ideas can work.. DICE just does not have the manpower to make it come in a timely matter.
  • I just played Instant Action on Naboo and i saw a teammate (bot) trying to enter one of those E-Turrets. You could also hear the clicking sound, that comes, when a human player enters a Turret. Did anyone else experience this as well? How would you feel about it, if the dev team would manage AI to use Turrets?
  • I just played Instant Action on Naboo and i saw a teammate (bot) trying to enter one of those E-Turrets. You could also hear the clicking sound, that comes, when a human player enters a Turret. Did anyone else experience this as well? How would you feel about it, if the dev team would manage AI to use Turrets?

they used turrets in bf2015 skirmish. it be fine.

they used turrets in bf2015 skirmish. it be fine.

I personally have not seen this yet, but if it is true, then AI can use use Ion disruptors on a target. It's too bad, since we would have all the large maps if DICE gave us offline galactic assault. I appreciate the IA maps, but it's going to feel incomplete if they don't add all of the ST and OT maps.
  • Apparently people have found AI for GA in the files, what do you think it could be? AI added to GA like they are in CS or could they be working on GA for offline?

• Apparently people have found AI for GA in the files, what do you think it could be? AI added to GA like they are in CS or could they be working on GA for offline?

Ben Walke responded that it was old data from something they worked on a long time ago and that there are no plans to put GA into IA
  • Anybody else starting to grow bored with instant action lately I love it but found myself getting incredible bored with it now. It feels repetitive just like cs to me maybe when the vehicles and other items comes in I will revisit this game.
  • Man Just dawned on me but I really really Hope Palpatine is Playable in Sequal Trilogy CS,IA&Co-op considering hes obviously in Ep9 and is the main antagonist of the entire series. Plus Following the prequal Hero lists being 4 per side The First Order only has 3 (Kylo,Phasma,BB-9E) so Palp should fill in the #4 Spot!. Plus having Sith Troopers as a FO reinforcment but no Sith Villian like Palp would be such a disservice To the chance to have a Sith emperor and Fellow Sith Troopers fight side by side :P
  • Starmasui73146
    1660 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    Kowalski53 wrote: »
    Anybody else starting to grow bored with instant action lately I love it but found myself getting incredible bored with it now. It feels repetitive just like cs to me maybe when the vehicles and other items comes in I will revisit this game.

Well it needs more maps, Destroyer A.I., Star Fighter A.I., vehicle A.I. and that should help spice things up a bit.
    I'm glad we're also going to be getting Takodana in Instant Action with the other two maps. :) That said, isn't it coming in the January update? I can swear Ben said they were going to release ALL of the ST content all at once for CS and IA instead of spreading it out like they did with the Clone Wars content.

Here, here.

4skhxk7pbktv.png

I agree with you. For CS, have something when if you get a certain amount of percentage points for capturing the CP's, a generator or something important inside the base opens up for the resistance to shoot. The First order has to hold Starkiller base for certain a time limit. I guess this idea sounds too similar to Galactic Assault.

Or maybe have it like Capital supremacy where instead of the ship phase, have the resistance earn a certain amount of percentage by capturing cp's, and the shields go down. The game then switches to an aerial dogfight using the outdoors part of the map where resistance fighters have a time limit to shoot turrets or "a core" or some sort before the shields go back up. These ideas can work.. DICE just does not have the manpower to make it come in a timely matter.

Exactly, I hope they do it that way.

I just played Instant Action on Naboo and i saw a teammate (bot) trying to enter one of those E-Turrets. You could also hear the clicking sound, that comes, when a human player enters a Turret. Did anyone else experience this as well? How would you feel about it, if the dev team would manage AI to use Turrets?

I'd love it, they already do it in "Skirmish" in Star Wars Battlefront (2015).

“There is always hope.”
  • Kowalski53 wrote: »
    Anybody else starting to grow bored with instant action lately I love it but found myself getting incredible bored with it now. It feels repetitive just like cs to me maybe when the vehicles and other items comes in I will revisit this game.

Well it needs more maps, Destroyer A.I., Star Fighter A.I., vehicle A.I. and that should help spice things up a bit.

Here, here.

4skhxk7pbktv.png

Exactly, I hope they do it that way.

I just played Instant Action on Naboo and i saw a teammate (bot) trying to enter one of those E-Turrets. You could also hear the clicking sound, that comes, when a human player enters a Turret. Did anyone else experience this as well? How would you feel about it, if the dev team would manage AI to use Turrets?

I'd love it, they already do it in "Skirmish" in Star Wars Battlefront (2015).

It needs more options, I can play Naboo Throne Room on Arcade and never get bored because of all the options. I get to play it how I want because of all the options.

• Has anyone recently witnessed the bug that allows friendly hero bots to spawn on console? Happened to me last night on geonosis but haven't been able to recreate it.
  • SAM4XE wrote: »
    Has anyone recently witnessed the bug that allows friendly hero bots to spawn on console? Happened to me last night on geonosis but haven't been able to recreate it.

:o

• Well here they are, all the new skins, the new classes, the new hero abilities (seen visually) coming with "The Rise of Skywalker".

Aaaaaaand here's the official breakdown.
    “There is always hope.”
  • Well here they are, all the new skins, the new classes, the new hero abilities (seen visually) coming with "The Rise of Skywalker".

yea I watched it. Looks alright, but I didn't see anything for IA. Did I just miss it?

• I think IA update will come on January.

yea I watched it. Looks alright, but I didn't see anything for IA. Did I just miss it?
    Llunots wrote: »
    I think IA update will come on January.

Yes, in January.

Again what DICE said, "In January, we will continue with Sequel Trilogy content as we will bring it to both Instant Action and Capital Supremacy. This includes the Resistance MC85 and First Order Resurgent-class Star Destroyer.
    Rounding out January will also be two new heroes: BB-8 and BB-9E."

The reason why this pertains to us is because we get (for now):
    (1.) 3 new skins
    (2.) 2 new classes for Resistance (grant it they look kind of horror movie creepy but oh well)
    (3.) 2 new classes for The First Order (both pretty decent)
    To be useable (I would imagine) in "Arcade". The jungle map will come to "Instant Action" this January.
    “There is always hope.”
  • Jesbro
    637 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    That and although it's not offline. COOP is getting the ST maps tomorrow which is still great for bot matches where you can level up all of your multiplayer stuff including heroes and the new reinforcements.

Nope. I personally am loving it more and more every day. That said, it desperately needs AI vehicles, friendly heroes and more maps / eras.
  • I can"t wait for ST Co-Op!
    Instant Action - Thank you Dice!
  • 6 more minutes until we can play it on Xbox! :D

Nope. I personally am loving it more and more every day. That said, it desperately needs AI vehicles, friendly heroes and more maps / eras.

Again I'm gonna say it, we practically need more options. Arcade has more options and it's probably less played now then IA.

Yes, in January.

Again what DICE said, "In January, we will continue with Sequel Trilogy content as we will bring it to both Instant Action and Capital Supremacy. This includes the Resistance MC85 and First Order Resurgent-class Star Destroyer.

(1.) 3 new skins
    (2.) 2 new classes for Resistance (grant it they look kind of horror movie creepy but oh well)
    To be useable (I would imagine) in "Arcade". The jungle map will come to "Instant Action" this January.

yea I agree the new Resistance classes are creepy.

• I just played a match on Starkiller Base and it was a blast... Buuuuut for some reason they removed the rocket trooper. I like the jet trooper more than the rocket trooper, but I really wish they would have kept both as they are so much different and it would have been nice to have both.

Please re-add the rocket trooper, DICE?
  • I just played a match on Starkiller Base and it was a blast... Buuuuut for some reason they removed the rocket trooper. I like the jet trooper more than the rocket trooper, but I really wish they would have kept both as they are so much different and it would have been nice to have both.

they removed the first order rocket trooper!! Sweet!

I read on Reddit, they removed the Wookie Warrior for the Resistance in Coop as well.

I read on Reddit, they removed the Wookie Warrior for the Resistance in Coop as well.

Hopefully both units will still be in Instant Action.

They aren't in Arcade, so i doubt, they'll be in Instant Action.

Either way I like the new ones and it's not the end of the world since the old ones are still available for the Republic and Rebels.
  • Jesbro wrote: »
    I just played a match on Starkiller Base and it was a blast... Buuuuut for some reason they removed the rocket trooper. I like the jet trooper more than the rocket trooper, but I really wish they would have kept both as they are so much different and it would have been nice to have both.

Either way I like the new ones and it's not the end of the world since the old ones are still available for the Republic and Rebels.

They are likely going to remove Wookie Warriors for the Republic and Rebels at some point too, except on Kashyyyk. Not that I'm sorry to see them go; that the Wookie Warrior has been the only Enforcer on the Light Side for nearly 2 years is ridiculous.

Original Trilogy & Sequel Trilogy for Instant Action in Battlefront II!

#soloplayersmatter #singleplayersmatter #offlinegamersmatter
  • Starmasui73146
    1660 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    Well here they are, all the new skins, the new classes, the new hero abilities (seen visually) coming with "The Rise of Skywalker".

Yes, in January.

(1.) 3 new skins

yea I agree the new Resistance classes are creepy.

This alien would have been simply hilarious. 😂🤣 He looks like a character out of the children's cartoon "Veggie Tales", lol. Sooooo funny.

uf0sehdmm9tk.jpeg

I think heed probably hop everywhere. 🤔 Truly funny stuff. 😄

“There is always hope.”
  • Jesbro wrote: »
    I just played a match on Starkiller Base and it was a blast... Buuuuut for some reason they removed the rocket trooper. I like the jet trooper more than the rocket trooper, but I really wish they would have kept both as they are so much different and it would have been nice to have both.

I don't know about the Rebels, the Wookies were enslaved by the Empire so it would make sense for them to fight against the Empire. Wookies on Kamino is a wtf moment.