criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Fighter Squadron in Space does not equal Space Battles

Please confirm boarding capital ships, interactive turbolasers, interactive frigates. And For God's Sake, Increase the player count!
giphy.gif

Replies

• I agree with both.
  • DOWNWARDZ
    1067 posts Member
    I think there can be both. The capital ship battles and a straight up dogfight with fighter on fighter in a dense asteroid field for instance.
  • Nic727
    80 posts Member
    Yes boarding capital ships in a huge scale battle is a must.
    tumblr_nmx5rwJMgv1sjw1w1o1_500.gif
  • Nic727 wrote: »

• DOWNWARDZ wrote: »
    I think there can be both. The capital ship battles and a straight up dogfight with fighter on fighter in a dense asteroid field for instance.

Yeah, but why have both when you can have the better one ( there is still dogfighting in that one)
    giphy.gif
  • I would love it if one player on each team was controlling the capital ships Warcraft style.
  • I agree
  • Massman98 wrote: »
    DOWNWARDZ wrote: »

Yeah, but why have both when you can have the better one ( there is still dogfighting in that one)
    I agree i say we go for dogfighting and capital ship warfare where you board and destroy enemy capital ships and i hope they actually let control our starfighters this time
  • DOWNWARDZ
    1067 posts Member
    Massman98 wrote: »
    DOWNWARDZ wrote: »

True. Just thinking variety.
  • Im also hoping for board-able capital ships, I want to have intense battles inside Star Destroyers and the like.
  • I actually kind of have a firm belief we will not be able to board enemy ships since the player count is 24 players in space battles
    giphy.gif
    I actually kind of have a firm belief we will not be able to board enemy ships since the player count is 24 players in space battles
    We can only hope this isnt the case and hopefully they up the player count to at least 15v15 or 20v20

• Here's a quote from the website regarding space battles:

"Wage war in spectacular space battle scenarios. Weave between asteroids, fly across Imperial Dock Yards, and take down massive capital ships."

You can see it mentions "take down massive capital ships".

Now, PLEASE everybody read the ENTIRE website before posting about something thats already been confirmed.

Im not saying this means that we'll be able to go inside of the ships, but at the very least we will be able to take them down. Which could mean a number of things.
  • Regarding player count, you haven't even played the damn game yet. They have. Im pretty sure only they know what amount of players would be right for their own game modes.

I thought player count in the last game was perfect. It kept things hectic, yet enjoyable.

If the player count were 64 (in modes like walker assault) like a lot of you are wanting it to be, it would be so un-enjoyable and too chaotic to have any sort of realism or even any fun.
  • This a discussion about what we the consumers think should be in the game it is obvious ppl want 32v32 in an all out war, thats a given. Regarding space battles we want to board enemy ships and feel that the player count for space battles should at least be 20v20.
  • pumpnight wrote: »
    Here's a quote from the website regarding space battles:

"Wage war in spectacular space battle scenarios. Weave between asteroids, fly across Imperial Dock Yards, and take down massive capital ships."

You can see it mentions "take down massive capital ships".

Now, PLEASE everybody read the ENTIRE website before posting about something thats already been confirmed.

Im not saying this means that we'll be able to go inside of the ships, but at the very least we will be able to take them down. Which could mean a number of things.

Okay so no-one in this thread questioned whether we would be able to take them out, but we're doubting the ability to board them.
    pumpnight wrote: »
    Regarding player count, you haven't even played the **** game yet. They have. Im pretty sure only they know what amount of players would be right for their own game modes.

I thought player count in the last game was perfect. It kept things hectic, yet enjoyable.

If the player count were 64 (in modes like walker assault) like a lot of you are wanting it to be, it would be so un-enjoyable and too chaotic to have any sort of realism or even any fun.

Few things here: No, I don't think all of their decisions on how many players should be in the game is based off of player experience, i think it is based of the time and money it would take to support something better. And also, the first battlefront's larger game modes were a disappointment BECAUSE the maps were skinny and only had a small amount of vehicles as an option at any given moment. The argument here is if they are indeed, larger more epic battles, then more players are needed to fill the extra map size, especially if more vehicles are needed. (I found Hoth's map design and battles to be underwhelming, especially the last uplink station got really slow
    giphy.gif
  • You are right, no one directly said that. But the title of the thread suggests that Massman assumed that there was no other information regarding space battles and that he doubted it would be anything more than just fighter squadron. I was informing him that there will indeed be more diverse space-centered game modes and that in a certain mode, we will be taking down capital ships. Also, along with that, suggesting that maybe its hinting at the ability to go inside of the ships and/or be able to man the cannons.

I still stand with my statement about player count, but that's not the point. The point here is to speculate what the space modes may entail.
  • ^I just realized I was talking to you in the third person. RIP.
    ^I just realized I was talking to you in the third person. RIP.

Lol yeah, I chuckled at that
    pumpnight wrote: »
    You are right, no one directly said that. But the title of the thread suggests that Massman assumed that there was no other information regarding space battles and that he doubted it would be anything more than just fighter squadron. I was informing him that there will indeed be more diverse space-centered game modes and that in a certain mode, we will be taking down capital ships. Also, along with that, suggesting that maybe its hinting at the ability to go inside of the ships and/or be able to man the cannons.

I still stand with my statement about player count, but that's not the point. The point here is to speculate what the space modes may entail.

As for this, yeah, my impression of it, I may be cynical here, is that it will be kind of like phase I of battlestations. But then I made the easy inference that if there are only 12 players on each team, and since we weren't told we could board the capital ships, its easy to assume we cant, especially if being able to board would take away half your team from the large space combat space available
    giphy.gif
  • well, we have more reveals coming in the future, we can find out then.
    well, we have more reveals coming in the future, we can find out then.

*Inserts gif of an impatient child in a star wars costume saying, "I want it now!"*
    giphy.gif
    I actually kind of have a firm belief we will not be able to board enemy ships since the player count is 24 players in space battles

They have confirmed there will be 12v12 space battles WITH another 20 AI players to each team
    rWnfFLl.gif

They have confirmed there will be 12v12 space battles WITH another 20 AI players to each team

20 AI to EACH team? or 20 total...? Also so what? are the AI gonna board your ship and board the other team's capital ship I doubt it
    giphy.gif
    Please confirm boarding capital ships, interactive turbolasers, interactive frigates. And For God's Sake, Increase the player count!

Some user on reddit said that a EA/Dice employee said there would be boarding capital ships.
    (I cant find the link tho, somewhere on the Battlefront subreddit.)
    The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. ~ Mark Twain
  • lukewarm
    117 posts Member
    edited April 2017

what I hope for too :)
  • lukewarm
    117 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Nic727 wrote: »

• blanehale wrote: »

Some user on reddit said that a EA/Dice employee said there would be boarding capital ships.
    (I cant find the link tho, somewhere on the Battlefront subreddit.)

It would be nice to get confirmation, but also if thats true, would some of the 40 AI be in the hanger? Cause that would be needed to defend
    giphy.gif
  • I'm pretty sure its not gonna be "fighter squadron in space." EA has listened to the fans time and time again, in Battlefront 1 they added the roll simply cause fans wanted it, and many more things because fans wanted, more evidence is in the Battlefront 2 trailer, while its good to be skeptic, dont have tunnel vision, be optimistic for a change.

20 AI to EACH team? or 20 total...? Also so what? are the AI gonna board your ship and board the other team's capital ship I doubt it

I'm guessing they're target practice, a way to make the battle bigger, they're not gonna board the enemy ship, but that is what player's are for
  • I'm pretty sure its not gonna be "fighter squadron in space." EA has listened to the fans time and time again, in Battlefront 1 they added the roll simply cause fans wanted it, and many more things because fans wanted, more evidence is in the Battlefront 2 trailer, while its good to be skeptic, dont have tunnel vision, be optimistic for a change.

Yeah haha I feel really skeptical, but its good to ensure that a real positive change is coming.

I'm guessing they're target practice, a way to make the battle bigger, they're not gonna board the enemy ship, but that is what player's are for

Yeah, so my only thing with that is, if we will get to board and its only 12v12: make sure some AI are soldiers in the hanger and other rooms, cause noone wants to defend
    giphy.gif
  • Blazur
    4468 posts Member
    We'll see, but I'm pretty skeptical it'll come close to the depth of original space battles. They touted space battles for death star and it was basically a glorified fighter squadron.
    The greatest teacher, failure is.
  • lukewarm wrote: »

They already mentioned those modes were 24 players. How you expect to have interactive boarding capital ships and space battles at the same time remains a mystery. It won't happen. If anything they will probably integrate what they have done in the first and play by segments and objectives I'd the team takes the objective then they move inside the ship if they even do that. However reenacting the battle over corusant would be quite epic.

You can guarantee it won't be fighter squadron anymore guys. Vulture Droids were very telling of how different space gameplay will be. We also saw the capital shops firing in turn so I expect gameplay to be much more intense than flying around in fighter squadron. They only revealed just a portion of just how much they are adding to space battles so good bye fighter squadron and hello space combat!
  • So Space Battles are 12v12 with 40 AI flying in space for BF2. By the sounds of it, I'd assume we can't board ships, but we will see. Still 32v32 (even if 40 are AI) will be nicer than what we currently have in FS. FS was 10v10 with 20 AI. I think Death Star DLC was 12v12 with 16 AI? Or was it more or less AI? Whatever.

So it'll probably be a slightly bigger FS in space with more interesting objectives. That'd be an improvement, but ultimately not what the fans asked for overall.
  • May I also remind you that EABF1 had massive difficulties with balancing crashing. I am quite positive they won't allow boarding due to similar issues from a gameplay perspective.

Yes it will be 20 AI on each team
    Seen as we have been surprised so far with the quality of what we are getting I think they will improve AI as they are actually been used more in multiplayer and in offline
    rWnfFLl.gif
  • anytime I watch anybody play Starwars battlefront the old ones and they talk about how grand the space battles were.... a majority is infantry based combat on the ship after they dipped out the ship in the hanger. 10%flying 90%infantry stuff.

is this really the aim ? Nobody ever flys in those old games, and frankly the flying was actually horrible.

example A

and we can go down the long list of battle front nostalgia vids that are basically the same thing.
  • Nic727 wrote: »

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good forum post kid.
  • DiscoverME
    137 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    anytime I watch anybody play Starwars battlefront the old ones and they talk about how grand the space battles were.... a majority is infantry based combat on the ship after they dipped out the ship in the hanger. 10%flying 90%infantry stuff.

is this really the aim ? Nobody ever flys in those old games, and frankly the flying was actually horrible.

example A

and we can go down the long list of battle front nostalgia vids that are basically the same thing.

Be careful. Nostalgia is a powerful thing and plenty of people will ignore criticism for older games, no matter how warranted, because everything was better "back in my day." But ultimately, I actually have to agree here. As a guy who has played Battlefront II (2005) since the day it came out, I can certainly confirm that space battles are not at all what many remember.
  • TBH, I don't care if we will be able to board capital ships or not. I think it's more important that you can attack and destroy capital ships and that they will fire back at you. If it's more or less like in the Death Star DLC I would be satisfied.
  • 10%flying 90%infantry stuff

That depends on how you play. I flew 80% of the time, only landing to take out the enemy auto-turret defenses.
    PSN: Bucman55 "The ability to speak does not make you intellegent."
    "[Cross-Era play] would essentially ruin the eras and turn them into nothing much more than the same thing and same experience but with a different skin. Which is contrary to the point in having eras in the first place." - ZmanGames
  • I agree
  • I have a feeling that the space battles would be great at 24 players.

If you were a developer of the game, you have to consider the optimal operating capacity of the servers and the consoles/systems you all play on.

My prediction is the Space Battles will play like the land version of Supremacy but in space.

That being said, it is not Command Posts that are being captured; it is the tier level of capital ships and frigates that are in the playing field.

Compared to a Battlefield 64 Conquest, SWBFEA Supremacy kept the fighting in between two points.

So, I believe it will be all out war in space in a focused area of space but the progress depends on the pilots and their effectiveness in combat to fighter to fighter AND a squadron of fighters against capital ships.

That is my best guess, I could be completely wrong or really close. Who knows... the Force will be the guide on that.
    JarekQ

*Star Wars is Life*

XBOX / PC Gamer

May the Force be with you! Always...

1UcxMVz.gif

• Are they Adding Hyperspace ?? & they should let u pic if u want to be empire or rebels
  • Undeadjon wrote: »

• Agherosh
    1092 posts Member
    Isn't Criterion focusing only in space battles? If it has one studio dedicated to them,I think we can be pretty sure it wont just be Fighter Squadron.
    #TipleeTiplarForBF2
  • Agherosh wrote: »
    Isn't Criterion focusing only in space battles? If it has one studio dedicated to them,I think we can be pretty sure it wont just be Fighter Squadron.

Yep just Criterion... And it's already confirmed that we will be fighting space battles in asteroid fields, imperial docking stations, and destroying massive Capitol ships that actually fight back
  • Maybe
    1492593999-7708-artwork.jpg
  • Alkaar17 wrote: »
    Maybe
    1492593999-7708-artwork.jpg

This confirms nothing..But it looks like boardable Capitol ships... it's not the death Star like some are speculating