criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

To Preorder or not to preorder, that is the question..

Now that i know that i'll get Singleplayer, Spacebattles, all Eras, Classes, and no DLCs, what should stop me from preordering?

Looks like almost everything we asked for was taken care of.
Though my wish for a server browser was not mentioned (yet).

It all sounded great untill i read the description for the "Deluxe Edition".

The Deluxe Edition contains :
·4 epic abilty modifiers...
·4 epic ability upgrades
·An epic abilty modifier...

This sounds to me like there will be "common", "rare", "legendary" & "epic" MODIFIERS / UPGRADES.

Knowing that there will be no paid DLC i'm absolutley sure those upgrades and modifiers will be available through microtransactions.

Don't get me wrong if "upgrades / modifieres" would be something like "skins" it would be allright with me.
Like it is in Overwatch, BF1, etc..
(But abilty modifier doesn't sound like "skin" at all)

If these modifieres and upgrades will make your character stronger/better and are available via microtransaction, SWBF 2 (EA) will be a "pay to win" title!?!

I know this is pure speculation but it was enough to make me not preoder (this time).

What are your thoughts on this?

Replies

• I too, fear this game will be pay2win.

Everyones freaking out all happy and excited theres no season pass, and its halarious.

Micro-transactions will cost wayyyyy more than a season pass.
  • bfloo
    14544 posts Member
    I'm waiting for more details and to see actual game play before I decide.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• Ill probably pre-order like most games I want to get once I get more info on the game itself
  • mb_free
    169 posts Member
    I'll buy it eventually so I might as well preorder. But if they have captain fordo and galactic conquest (a man can dream) then i will preorder and buy EA stock
  • Anyone who preorders with minimal info and no gameplay is a total pawn imo
  • CurbUrSkyrImC4
    828 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Wait for the beta. Then preorder if you want. People preordering now baffle me. It's over six months away!
  • Lonnisity
    1941 posts Member
    I'm with Angry Joe on this one, I'm definitely buying, with the possibility of pre-ordering if they really show me that they've earned it. Like he says, pre-ordering should be a way to reward good behavior on part of the developers.
    "Yeah, I'm responsible these days. It's the price you pay for being successful."
  • Yeah the microtransactions are pretty much coming, but i still pre ordered the deluxe edition. It's your choice.
  • Yeah, I had the exact same thought as you OP. Loot crates = EA drooling over cash
  • Strogg1980 wrote: »
    Anyone who preorders with minimal info and no gameplay is a total pawn imo

I enjoyed the first one, So why not?...If I get the same level of enjoyment from the second then it's money well spent.
  • Blazur
    4468 posts Member
    NEVER pre-order a game 7+ months ahead of release and without knowing what's in it. For several reasons:
    1. You don't know what you're getting, duh.
    2. It shows the developers you're willing to settle for what could be mediocre content before giving them your money. This may discourage leadership from putting more content in the game to win you over.
    3. You might get a cheaper discount closer to launch.
    4. It's dumb.
    The greatest teacher, failure is.
  • Blazur wrote: »
    NEVER pre-order a game 7+ months ahead of release and without knowing what's in it. For several reasons:
    1. You don't know what you're getting, duh.
    2. It shows the developers you're willing to settle for what could be mediocre content before giving them your money. This may discourage leadership from putting more content in the game to win you over.
    3. You might get a cheaper discount closer to launch.
    4. It's dumb.

This guy
  • bfloo
    14544 posts Member
    Pre ordering made sense when we had to go out to buy a game and had to worry about it being sold out.

Now we can just dl it, so I don't see the need.

h846398gb27k.png

• Lonnisity wrote: »
    I'm with Angry Joe on this one, I'm definitely buying, with the possibility of pre-ordering if they really show me that they've earned it. Like he says, pre-ordering should be a way to reward good behavior on part of the developers.

That was an argument I didn't expect to hear from Angry Joe, and a perspective I hadn't considered previously. It's certainly too early to preorder now, but depending on what news we get in the coming months regarding stuff like how they'll handle DLC and what improvements they make from the previous title, I might (emphasis on that word) consider preordering. I liked the first game well enough (though I waited until it was on sale to get it; I got the Season Pass on sale as well), so I expect I'll get this one as well.

Of course, the only reason I'm even considering preordering later on is because doing so would get me skins for Rey and Kylo Ren. I'm not normally one to care for cosmetics, but I'm tempted by cool new looks for characters I like.
  • Jrob122
    4638 posts Member
    You have until November 15th to preorder. I'm waiting until I see a lot of gameplay and play the beta and will make my decision
  • Do what you want...
    The greatest moderator that EA has ever had.
  • The decision is entirely up to you. However, I would say DON'T pre-order until you see some real E3 footage and confirmation of no season pass. That would be the smart thing to do.
  • Well, I pre-ordered my "Elite Trooper Deluxe Edition" (£79.99) in the PS Store (digital, all the way!!), a coupla' days ago. I've been quite impressed by what I've seen and heard, thus far and I somehow, just have a good feeling about the upcoming game.
    I think EA/DICE know where and how much they royally screwed up, with Battlefront (2015) and realised how they (to put it in a non-vulgar way) drove a lot of fans and players away. So I don't think we need to keep constantly repeating ourselves to them, trying to re-assure them. The game's done now, let it go.. Onto Battlefront II (2017). And having said that, I (albeit, reluctantly) have faith in them to get it right, this time around.

One of the main things that annoyed me the most though, was the infuriatingly silly trophies/achievements, like:

- "Ackbar's Elite"
    Complete any Survival mission on Master difficulty without spending a life.

- "On the ball"
    Complete any Survival mission on Master difficulty within 35 minutes.

(And this one REALLY annoyed me)

- "Master"
    Complete all mission on master difficulty in the original game.

I still, luckily (and somehow) managed to get the Platinum for the game. But my god! The amount of times I wanted to throw my controller at my TV screen (and hard), trying to get those trophies.. I've lost count. So I hope no trophies like that, make it in to Battlefront II (2017). They need to be more creative and original (and not to mention attainable).

(And please, EA/DICE.. Don't give us silly trophies/achievements, where we have to complete the campaign on the hardest difficulty. That in itself will just be rage inducing and as a gaming community, we've moved on since "unoriginal" trophies/achievements like that.)

Even after all the Season Pass content, which wasn't great.. I still enjoy and thoroughly play the game. It was probably my "Most Played Game" of 2016. I do think everything that was in the Season Pass should've definitely been in the game at launch. The only 'real' DLC we got, was the Rogue One: Scarif DLC, but that's just one pack.

But I don't know how, we didn't at least get an additional Rogue One "Mission", containing Darth Vader (I'm sure you all know what I mean). Hopefully (fingers crossed), that makes its way into Battlefront II (2017)

One thing I will say, though and I hope they take note of this.. Is that with Vader, in Battlefront II (2017), they really need to tone-down the amount he talks during a killing-spree (in ANY game mode). You didn't get one word out of him in the hallway scene in Rogue One, as he was slaughtering those Rebels and that's part of what made him so terrifying in that entire scene. It's true to his character. Let's keep it that way.
  • bfloo
    14544 posts Member
    Well, I pre-ordered my "Elite Trooper Deluxe Edition" (£79.99) in the PS Store (digital, all the way!!), a coupla' days ago. I've been quite impressed by what I've seen and heard, thus far and I somehow, just have a good feeling about the upcoming game.
    I think EA/DICE know where and how much they royally screwed up, with Battlefront (2015) and realised how they (to put it in a non-vulgar way) drove a lot of fans and players away. So I don't think we need to keep constantly repeating ourselves to them, trying to re-assure them. The game's done now, let it go.. Onto Battlefront II (2017). And having said that, I (albeit, reluctantly) have faith in them to get it right, this time around.

One of the main things that annoyed me the most though, was the infuriatingly silly trophies/achievements, like:

- "Ackbar's Elite"
    Complete any Survival mission on Master difficulty without spending a life.

- "On the ball"
    Complete any Survival mission on Master difficulty within 35 minutes.

(And this one REALLY annoyed me)

- "Master"
    Complete all mission on master difficulty in the original game.

I still, luckily (and somehow) managed to get the Platinum for the game. But my god! The amount of times I wanted to throw my controller at my TV screen (and hard), trying to get those trophies.. I've lost count. So I hope no trophies like that, make it in to Battlefront II (2017). They need to be more creative and original (and not to mention attainable).

(And please, EA/DICE.. Don't give us silly trophies/achievements, where we have to complete the campaign on the hardest difficulty. That in itself will just be rage inducing and as a gaming community, we've moved on since "unoriginal" trophies/achievements like that.)

Even after all the Season Pass content, which wasn't great.. I still enjoy and thoroughly play the game. It was probably my "Most Played Game" of 2016. I do think everything that was in the Season Pass should've definitely been in the game at launch. The only 'real' DLC we got, was the Rogue One: Scarif DLC, but that's just one pack.

But I don't know how, we didn't at least get an additional Rogue One "Mission", containing Darth Vader (I'm sure you all know what I mean). Hopefully (fingers crossed), that makes its way into Battlefront II (2017)

One thing I will say, though and I hope they take note of this.. Is that with Vader, in Battlefront II (2017), they really need to tone-down the amount he talks during a killing-spree (in ANY game mode). You didn't get one word out of him in the hallway scene in Rogue One, as he was slaughtering those Rebels and that's part of what made him so terrifying in that entire scene. It's true to his character. Let's keep it that way.

His trash talk in FS is great.

h846398gb27k.png

• Xantos
    2385 posts Member
    Ppl in 2017 still pre order ?
    "Only 10% of our playerbase played old Battlefronts, so we are going to do a Battlefront, which is not a Battlefront" -Dice 2017
  • I definitely read on one of the sites that the Falcon's ability modifier made it look like it did in TFA. To me, this suggests that at least some (hopefully the paid) "modifiers" will just be cosmetic, and actual gameplay stuff can be unlocked like star cards were.
  • Lonnisity
    1941 posts Member
    (And please, EA/DICE.. Don't give us silly trophies/achievements, where we have to complete the campaign on the hardest difficulty.

Would not completing the hardest difficulty in the game be an achievement? Should we not get rewarded for doing so? I absolutely believe we should. But there should only be one achievement like that. In the last game, as you said, there were at least three, with two being very similar and equally frustrating. Every difficulty should have it's own achievement. Every shooter I can think of since Xbox 360/PS3 has done that.
    "Yeah, I'm responsible these days. It's the price you pay for being successful."
  • Pre order because we all know we're going to eventually get it so why not preorder and get the exclusive Last Jedi skins!
  • I wouldn't buy things blind. Best prove is still the unfinished, bugged and small maps only season pass of BF (2015). Better wait for more information.
    For General Ahsoka Tano!
    h3d5nuo8y0jq.png

• bigjay
    787 posts Member
    I preordered it and am enjoying my new PS4 theme.
    PSN : BIG_JAY_ALLDAY it should have been this way day 1
  • Thank you all for your opinions and answers.

A very good reason for preordering is what @Lonnisity said/wrote. (to reward good behavior on part of the developers)

Thank's to @Matt89190 i am now a little more confident that "modifiers" will just be cosmetic changes.
    Butt till the "upgrade/modifier" "problem" is not entirely sorted out i will not preorder.

• I'll preorder after I see gameplay and after I know what is all in the game. I don't know why anyone would do otherwise.
  • People who have pre-ordered already are just blindly giving their money away. They are the ones who will be on the forums 2 days after release complaining about stuff.
  • SAmulticore
    3321 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    I'll buy it I'm sure, I like Star Wars and shooting things too much not to, but if I preorder it'll be three days before release when I know more. It's pointless giving them money for a hope and a dream.

Edit: I preordered Aliens: Colonial Marines, so I know what I'm about. I SEEN THINGS.
  • Blazur
    4468 posts Member
    Skywacker wrote: »
    People who have pre-ordered already are just blindly giving their money away. They are the ones who will be on the forums 2 days after release complaining about stuff.

#SoloPlayersMatter
    The greatest teacher, failure is.
  • I pre-ordered Battlefront, bought a season pass, and play regularly. I couldn't think of any real reason not to pre-order Battlefront II as well since I know beyond any shadow of a doubt, I'm all in with the thing. I understand the various arguments against doing so. However, I'd just rather get it over with and get the goodies. I guess if I had some self-control I could have waited and it wouldn't make any difference whether I bought it the day before the three-day before release access or not. But, there you go. The deed is done.
  • I'll preorder after I see gameplay and after I know what is all in the game. I don't know why anyone would do otherwise.

Trust us. It's in the game™
  • bigjay wrote: »
    I preordered it and am enjoying my new PS4 theme.

How did you get the "STAR WARS Battlefront II theme", already? I've pre-ordered the 'Elite Trooper Deluxe Edition' and I can't find my theme, anywhere. I thought they released that with the game's release.. :/
  • If they verify fixing the matching and team balancing ill preorder
  • Stalemate
    3600 posts Member
    I will pre-order no doubt but not sure if it will be deluxe or standard, finding it hard to justify that extra cash just for 3 days early access.