criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Welcome to the Star Wars Battlefront Forums. To help eliminate spam and fake accounts, you must have a linked EA account and own Star Wars Battlefront I or II to post on the relevant game boards.

Have issues posting, but own the game? Log out completely and clear your browser cache, cookies, and temp files, then restart the browser.

I lack imagination - how is the class system not going to ****?

Prev13456
Let's just start with the obvious. Battlefield 1 is an unplayable snoozefest - as in TV and WORK are more interesting. Now . . . that is Battlefield 1, so I GUESS class systems by definition don't have to ruin a game (like they did BF1) . . . but how could they go about implementing such a system without destroying the fun?

Seriously. Any ideas? Has anyone seen a class system that made the game more fun, or at least didn't reduce the fun? If so, what game and how did it improve the game play?

And if DICE is monitoring please note, SWBF II cannot be a reskinned BF1 . . . cause I bought both and HAPPILY quit BF1 after 3 weeks and have never picked it up since . . . it is an well made piece of boring junk, that only demonstrates how little attention was given to SWBF 1. The ONLY thing I would ever want to see brought over from BF1 is the STABILITY, NO LAG, and SERVER BROWSER - the rest is useless junk.

Replies

• Well handled class systems tend to make games more fun as they encourage actual teamwork between the players. Whereas in the current Battlefront we see very little actual teamwork in most matches. Having people fulfill specific roles automatically creates a more cooperative atmosphere. Are there bad games with class systems? Sure, however the announcement of a class system in of itself shouldn't be a cause for worry, if anything, it shows they are trying to address the teamwork problem from the last game.
  • Alvonator
    2510 posts Member
    edited April 21
    There are big flaws with your argument:

1) Classes didn't ruin Battlefield 1.
    2) Classes are neither limiting nor 'not fun.'
    3) Battlefield 1 population is quite healthy. Sauce: http://bf1stats.com
  • Alvonator wrote: »
    There is are big flaws with your argument:

PSN: Trooper8059
    "Remember: Your focus determines your reality."
  • Alvonator
    2510 posts Member
    Alvonator wrote: »

Let it be known that Rose Sauce is a delicious delight.
    dsc05640.jpg
  • Alvonator wrote: »

Not to mention that all the previous Battlefields used classes as well, and they are fantastic.

But either way, @fmpauley, classes are great because the restrictions can be tailored to prevent specific load outs. Tell me, did you enjoy people running into you with lvl 3 Bodyguard, Bacta, Adrenaline Stim and then after you get through all 360 of their health they just jump pack to safety? NO? Ah I thought as much. Luckily, even if all those cards are in this game in various forms, there will be no way to use them all together. The classes still allow a significant amount of variation and customisability, but they prevent Attack of the Explosive Shot or Bacta Strikes Back from happening in this game.
    That's not how the Force works...
  • Lonnisity
    1356 posts Member
    fmpauley wrote: »
    Battlefield 1 is an unplayable snoozefest

Lost interest in your argument with the second sentence. Battlefield 1 is a fantastic game.
    Color me cautiously optimistic
  • Yeah idk dude Battlefield 1 is a pretty fun game imo
  • Lonnisity wrote: »
    Battlefield 1 is an unplayable snoozefest

Lost interest in your argument with the second sentence. Battlefield 1 is a fantastic game.

As well as the 4 games which preceded it... All of which used classes...
  • Gotta go with the op on this one. Different strokes m8.
  • Frix
    625 posts Member
    Well I would post something in depth about how classes improve the game and variety but it looks like that's already been done.
  • rollind24
    1365 posts Member
    edited April 21
    I have no problem moving to classes but I keep laughing at the people that are saying it is going to promote teamwork in the new StarWars game. I can't wait for the threads complaining about all the casuals attracted to the name star wars that all they want to do is go pew pew. Honestly what I see promoting more teamwork in BF1 is the squad system rather than the class system.
  • Alvonator
    2510 posts Member
    rollind24 wrote: »
    I have no problem moving to classes but I keep laughing at the people that are saying it is going to promote teamwork in the new StarWars game. I can't wait for the threads complaining about all the casuals attracted to the name star wars that all they want to do is go pew pew. Honestly what I see promoting more teamwork in BF1 is the squad system rather than the class system.

It does promote teamwork though.....

Every class has strengths and weaknesses, they must support each other to succeed.. If I play Heavy, I expect to support teammates, and I will expect Assault players to take out vehicles.
  • rollind24
    1365 posts Member
    edited April 21

Every class has strengths and weaknesses, they must support each other to succeed.. If I play Heavy, I expect to support teammates, and I will expect Assault players to take out vehicles.

You expect to much. I also expect players in the first game to understand objectives but that didn't work out so well.

I'm not knocking classes. I just have little faith in the playerbase.
  • Only time your gonna get consistant teamwork is in party's/clans or comp. I'm saying it now, it's nothing more than wishful thinking. Do you people realize how many under 15 will be playing this game?
  • rollind24
    1365 posts Member
    Only time your gonna get consistant teamwork is in party's/clans or comp. I'm saying it now, it's nothing more than wishful thinking. Do you people realize how many under 15 will be playing this game?

+1
  • Why won't it suck? because it's not star cards is a good starting point as to why. Ill take limits in Jetpacks and bacta bombing alone as a reason to stick with classes, not to mention its generally more fun of a system if you look at any MP/Co-op based shooter
  • Alvonator
    2510 posts Member

You expect to much. I also expect players in the first game to understand objectives but that didn't work out so well.

I didn't say that classes would 100% cause teamwork. I said "promote," meaning that players are encouraged to work together due to distinct class weaknesses and advantages, but it does not automatically cause everyone to work together, thats impossible.

Point is, a team that works together will be better than the enemy. Classes encourage and promote, but do not make everyone PTFO or work together, that is the distinction. I can say for sure that its a better system than Star Cards though.
  • Only time your gonna get consistant teamwork is in party's/clans or comp. I'm saying it now, it's nothing more than wishful thinking. Do you people realize how many under 15 will be playing this game?

This worries me immensely. They need to neutralise all the massive advantage of playing in a party, not add more
  • rollind24
    1365 posts Member

I didn't say that classes would 100% cause teamwork. I said "promote," meaning that players are encouraged to work together due to distinct class weaknesses and advantages, but it does not automatically cause everyone to work together, thats impossible.

Point is, a team that works together will be better than the enemy. Classes encourage and promote, but do not make everyone PTFO or work together, that is the distinction. I can say for sure that its a better system than Star Cards though.

Yea I'm for classes more for what @Strogg1980 mentioned if it helps limit some of the abilities. I'm not in the Star Card camp. I did play the last game for a year and a half and enjoyed it though. Hopefully they balance the classes enough so one is not vastly outnumbering the rest in any given match.

Actually yeah, and I bought another class based shooter by EA in order to play with younger ones in the house, namely Plants vs Zombies GW2. That game has a very young player base and the sense of teamwork in that game far surpasses what we have in the current Battlefront. Despite being a kiddy game, I would actually say it's better than the current Battlefront, due in large part to the class system. A good class system encourages you to be a team player whether you know it or not.
  • Frix
    625 posts Member
    BF1 did not have team work when I played it. What I did notice was that there was no way to know the outcome of the game, winning and losing seemed like a total surprise and was something there was very little control over. SWBF1 felt like one person could make a difference, and especially in Cargo. I can't imagine Cargo in BF1. I like the arcade feel, the 1v1 matchups. BF1 is just shot someone, get shot in the back, respawn; shot someone get shot from the side . . . you rarely ever see your attacker, and almost never get to square up on them.

The class system in BF1 always left me feeling like I picked the wrong class. It was so rare that I thought, cool, I'm ready for this, I have just the right load out. In the end I could only choose Medic or Assault if I wanted to keep playing. And my teammates always seemed to be the wrong class too. A bunch of Medics versus a tank . . . what fun! It was the classes of BF1 that made me appreciate the star card system, and realize that SWBF1, for all its faults, was a superior game for having fun.

As for team work . . . really. No one can believe that. That is NEVER going to happen. It's not even a possibility. EXCEPT for clans. Fortunately, I just joined up with some 'bad hombres" so I'll have fun abusing the 95% of the playerbase that will never ever ever ever work as a team. When was the last time a player you didn't know hang behind you while you were a hero and constantly heal you with bacta . . . stop kidding yourself there is no teamwork likely coming from classes.

Is there a game were classes equal team work (don't day BF1 cause then I'll know you're ****'ing)? What was the relationship between the classes that made that happen?

Probably couldn't tell wether you would win or not because you didn't PTFO. I actually unlocked the PTFO skin for the mp18 so don't question my dedication to playing the objective :D
  • fmpauley wrote: »
    BF1 did not have team work when I played it. What I did notice was that there was no way to know the outcome of the game, winning and losing seemed like a total surprise and was something there was very little control over. SWBF1 felt like one person could make a difference, and especially in Cargo. I can't imagine Cargo in BF1. I like the arcade feel, the 1v1 matchups. BF1 is just shot someone, get shot in the back, respawn; shot someone get shot from the side . . . you rarely ever see your attacker, and almost never get to square up on them.

The class system in BF1 always left me feeling like I picked the wrong class. It was so rare that I thought, cool, I'm ready for this, I have just the right load out. In the end I could only choose Medic or Assault if I wanted to keep playing. And my teammates always seemed to be the wrong class too. A bunch of Medics versus a tank . . . what fun! It was the classes of BF1 that made me appreciate the star card system, and realize that SWBF1, for all its faults, was a superior game for having fun.

As for team work . . . really. No one can believe that. That is NEVER going to happen. It's not even a possibility. EXCEPT for clans. Fortunately, I just joined up with some 'bad hombres" so I'll have fun abusing the 95% of the playerbase that will never ever ever ever work as a team. When was the last time a player you didn't know hang behind you while you were a hero and constantly heal you with bacta . . . stop kidding yourself there is no teamwork likely coming from classes.

Is there a game were classes equal team work (don't day BF1 cause then I'll know you're ****'ing)? What was the relationship between the classes that made that happen?

I can't speak to Battlefield 1 as I haven't played that game, but I've played plenty of other class based shooters where people work as a team simply because that's how they will do best in the matches. A bad class based system in one game isn't an indication that all games with class systems are bad. Like I said in my previous post, a kiddy shooter like Plants vs Zombies had better teamwork than the current Battlefront, and that was due in large part to a well balanced and integrated class system. The current Battlefront on the other hand almost always feels like you are playing by yourself with a bunch of other people who are playing by themselves. Occasionally you get a match with a good team of people who work together, but that is the exception rather than the norm with the Star Card system.
  • Anything is better than Jumpbacta Spam fest 2015.
  • Was editing and think I deleted my original post. Reposting

As for team work . . . really. No one can believe that. That is NEVER going to happen. It's not even a possibility. EXCEPT for clans. Fortunately, I just joined up with some 'bad hombres" so I'll have fun abusing the 95% of the playerbase that will never ever ever ever work as a team. When was the last time a player you didn't know hung behind you while you were a hero and constantly healed you with bacta . . . stop kidding yourself there is no teamwork likely coming from classes.

Is there a game were classes equal team work (don't say BF1 cause then I'll know you're ****.'ing)? What was the relationship between the classes that made that happen?
  • rollind24
    1365 posts Member
    @fmpauley I thought I was going crazy trying to find the post they were quoting lol