criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
July Community Calendar
Obi-Wan Kenobi Community Quests

Would you like to see "skins" as micro transactions/loot boxes

Prev1
ShowOff
113 posts Member
The wildly popular game "Overwatch" has no season pass but it still makes plenty of money from a system they've perfected called loot boxes. In these loot boxes you get skins for the heroes of that game. They can Ben purchased or earned from leveling up.

I'm thinking this would be the perfect way for DICE to implement micro transactions. They have no effect at all on gameplay just more skins and options. For example we could have a hooded Anakin as a skin, Obi-Wan in his Clone Wars attire, Young Clone Wars version of Dengar, Lando in Han's outfit lol etc.

Thoughts?

Replies

• I'll buy any skin customization microtransaction they sell.
  • Better than a season pass.
  • DiscoverME
    137 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    I'd hardly say Overwatch's system is 'perfected', as plenty of people still have problems with it. Regardless, the unfortunate reality is that games are more expensive than ever to produce and maintain, so it is totally understandable that there would be microtransactions. I would be totally fine with the system that Mass Effect Andromeda adopted, with a sort of store with a changing stock that allows you to purchase exactly what you want (with either in-game or premium currency) and RNG lootboxes for aesthetic items like skins and emotes.
  • While I'm not crazy about the randomness factor, it beats divisive season pass plans big time.
    #JustSayNoToReyLo
  • SevDelta wrote: »
    I'll buy any skin customization microtransaction they sell.

This, and my reason is that I spent a year shouting about the need to omit maps from the DLC. They've done that so I'm going to put my money where my mouth is.
  • Agherosh
    1092 posts Member
    Better do to it like Rainbow Six: Siege, you buy whatever customization you want when you want.
    Noone likes randomized lootboxes.
    #TipleeTiplarForBF2
  • Depends what things can be bought. I don't wanna see any blaster skins.
    I hope you will be able to customize your outfits, helmets, face, hair or whatever so your character generally whenever you want and that you can buy for example different hair styles or faces for rebels. But maybe it can be all unlocked we'll see.

Me too I won't be able to stop myself.
  • Ughh. I just want it like this: say you earn credits right? Let the dang credits be your currency. Not real money in any sense of the word. And let me buy skins and stuff for my trooper with credits that I earn through multiplayer, instead of any "supply drop" mechanics. I realize this is a futile request, but a man can dream.
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good forum post kid.
  • Agherosh
    1092 posts Member
    Undeadjon wrote: »
    Ughh. I just want it like this: say you earn credits right? Let the dang credits be your currency. Not real money in any sense of the word. And let me buy skins and stuff for my trooper with credits that I earn through multiplayer, instead of any "supply drop" mechanics. I realize this is a futile request, but a man can dream.

Only way to work this out is the way Rainbow Six: Siege does it, giving you a small amount of credits after each map, using real money to buy multipliers to earn them faster, using that currency to allow you to buy pretty much everything in the game, the users who pay just get them faster.
    Or the other method is letting people use real money to get the ingame currency inmediately, like GTA Online.
    #TipleeTiplarForBF2
  • Blazur
    4468 posts Member
    Honestly wouldn't care either way. If it brings the development team more money and encourages them to provide better support then so be it.
    The greatest teacher, failure is.
  • As long as they don't overdo it. I don't want it to come down to pink troopers.
    PSN: Trooper8059
    "Remember: Your focus determines your reality."
    ezgif_5_a643336582.gif
  • Swanka
    42 posts Member
    As long as additional maps and modes are free, I'm not gonna complain.
  • If there are free heroes, maps, vehicles, new features. Is this completely in order.

Better pay for skins than for maps. With this system, they might be able to support SWBF2 on a longer term with fresh new content.
  • I would like to buy all Ahsoka, Thrawn and some other CW character skins. I'll save my money for this case and micro transactions.
    For General Ahsoka Tano!
    h3d5nuo8y0jq.png

• rollind24
    5579 posts Member
    Could Jar Jar be a microtransaction? I would 100% buy him and run around the map with a giant target on my back.
    #infantrylivesmatter
  • I'd be fine with this but I want paid heroes to be a guaranteed purchase rather than an RNG loot box.
  • Stalemate
    3600 posts Member
    I would pay £100 for Jar Jar
  • I read the title as "Would you like to see skin?"

>:)
  • Stalemate
    3600 posts Member
    If it's the Twi'lek then the answer is yes.
  • Yes, I want as many skins (hero and otherwise) as possible, rather like collecting action figures in real life. That would add a really fun dimension to this game.
  • ewokscum wrote: »
    Better than a season pass.

• Laser921
    1871 posts Member
    Depends on what can be bought
    Emotion yet Peace, Ignorance yet Knowledge, Passion yet Serenity, Chaos yet Harmony, Death yet the Force
  • Hellcat420
    4 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    I wouldn't mind as long as they are only cosmetic stuff. I really don't mind season passes , because if I buy the game and its not up to snuff and not getting better or going in the wrong direction after a month or two I don't buy the season pass.
  • ShowOff wrote: »
    The wildly popular game "Overwatch" has no season pass but it still makes plenty of money from a system they've perfected called loot boxes. In these loot boxes you get skins for the heroes of that game. They can Ben purchased or earned from leveling up.

I'm thinking this would be the perfect way for DICE to implement micro transactions. They have no effect at all on gameplay just more skins and options. For example we could have a hooded Anakin as a skin, Obi-Wan in his Clone Wars attire, Young Clone Wars version of Dengar, Lando in Han's outfit lol etc.

Thoughts?

I think the least that this needs is in game purchases
    Vroom Vroom!

• rollind24 wrote: »
    Could Jar Jar be a microtransaction? I would 100% buy him and run around the map with a giant target on my back.

LMAO same here
    Vroom Vroom!

• Commander_Fox
    93 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    I'd be fine with it if the loot boxes weren't too difficult to obtain and you could put in some sort of "request" with extra credits that would boost the chance of getting a skin you want
    CT-5555 was a traitor
    m1eb5iy9b2uy.gif
  • Agherosh wrote: »
    Better do to it like Rainbow Six: Siege, you buy whatever customization you want when you want.
    Noone likes randomized lootboxes.

I believe developers like randomness. Example, a stormtrooper skin cost $3.00. People would only spend $3.00 for that skin; however, if that same skin is in a $1.00 loot chest/crate with twenty other items, chances are you could spend more than the direct $3.00 for that skin. Meaning the developer would earn more than the direct purchase gaining more revenue. That is why Overwatch, SMITE, TERA, and others have loot chests/crates because there is a higher chance you will be spending more then a direct purchase.
    And hopefully this extra revenue causes the game to get concurrent balance and content updates.
    "Don't just do something, stand there!"
    TWITCH.TV
    YOUTUBE
  • ewokscum wrote: »
    Better than a season pass.

Times better. Also hero packs with all current heroes and all bounty hunters. Heroes will be the main selling point.
  • ROMG4
    2613 posts Member
    I would pay $10 for a B1-Battle Droid OOM-9 Skin.

...Though he really should be a Hero.
    OOM-9 FOR BATTLEFRONT 2
    OOM-9 Hero Concept by AzelfandQuilava
    https://i.redd.it/uleh1g22xrhz.png

OOM-9 Canonical Material Check-List:

Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace
    William Shakespeare's The Phantom of Menace: Star Wars Part the First
    Ultimate Star Wars (Reference Guide)
    Star Wars: On the Front Lines (Reference Guide)
    Darth Maul: "Who is supervising the search for the Gungan cities?" Nute Gunray: "Commander OOM-Nine." Darth Maul: "A droid. The predecessor of your inept B-Ones." Rune Haako: "A superior droid, Lord Maul. Viceroy Gunray's personal guard."
    The OOM-9 Thread
    https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/76756/the-oom-9-thread-9-9-the-phantom-droid/p1
  • I don't mind spending money on microtransactions when I get exactly what I buy. I really hate the rng packs that other games have where you drop $5 and end up with random useless junk that you didn't want. I know whales love this kind of stuff, but I see little value in it and won't spend real money on it.

If it comes down to a season pass or rng loot boxes, I'll take the season pass. Hopefully they learned not to include maps and game modes in future season passes.
  • ShowOff wrote: »

Thoughts?

If it's the alternative to get more money without a season pass definitely
  • As long as they can be earned for free in a reasonable amount of time, I don't care what they do as far as skins/cosmetics goes.
    PSN: Bucman55 "The ability to speak does not make you intellegent."
    "[Cross-Era play] would essentially ruin the eras and turn them into nothing much more than the same thing and same experience but with a different skin. Which is contrary to the point in having eras in the first place." - ZmanGames
  • Blazur
    4468 posts Member
    ShowOff wrote: »

Thoughts?

Blizzard is notoriously good at dangling the carrot. Earning more lootboxes and leveling up indefinitely is one of the most driving forces for continued play (beyond the fact the game is ridiculously fun).
    The greatest teacher, failure is.
  • NO! Please no weapon skins! That stuff doesn't belong in SW imo. And as for hero/class skins, Dunno if there's a lot of options for EA. I just think the loot boxes or anything like it should stay OUT of SWBF.
    Much Star Wars.Very forums.
  • NO! Please no weapon skins! That stuff doesn't belong in SW imo. And as for hero/class skins, Dunno if there's a lot of options for EA. I just think the loot boxes or anything like it should stay OUT of SWBF.

I agree with you. Let's not turn this game into Plants v Zombies with all the ridiculous customizations.
  • Not really.....

Micro-transactions can get out of hand. Anyone here play Gears of War 4? Might as well call that game Gears of Skins.... It gets old. They start focusing on what skin they can price gouge fans with when their are mechanics in the game that don't work / are broke.
  • Cad_Bane
    6252 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    As long as it isn't randomized in supply drops. just let me purchase the skin/item or whatever without having to buy supply drops
  • Yes, on three conditions.

1. Everything can be earned in the game without spending real money.
    2. No Season pass (to my knowledge, it's not 100% confirmed that there won't be one.)
    3. Nothing that Provides an advantage can be found in the crates (Cosmetics and XP boosts are Okay).
  • Shinjuku
    1760 posts Member
    SevDelta wrote: »

THIS.
    MLtmeEi.png
    " If you're not with me, then you're my enemy."
  • Gomen
    482 posts Member
    I would like this as long as they keep it mostly canon
    Friend me on PSN. My GT is O_lVl_E_N.
  • SAmulticore
    3322 posts Member
    Gomen wrote: »

ngl I would pay $50 for a pink Stormtrooper with a weed leaf camo rocket launcher just to watch people cry.

PSN: BucksawBoushh
  • bfloo
    15020 posts Member
    Gomen wrote: »

ngl I would pay $50 for a pink Stormtrooper with a weed leaf camo rocket launcher just to watch people cry.

For an extra $10, they'll put a target on the back of your pink storm trooper.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• Master_Cunha
    4562 posts Member
    Yes. Paid heroes and skins please.
  • Gomen wrote: »

lol LucasFilm would have a fight if that happened.
  • Mystical
    269 posts Member
    If it means no season pass and all maps will be playable for all then I am fine with extra skins as microtransactions. I can then buy exactly what I want when I want while the real gameplay content is not locked for anyone.
  • If it pays for DLC maps, modes, and weapons yes it's a great idea also means there will be a lot customization.
  • SAmulticore
    3322 posts Member
    Srsly tho, yes.

This is the trade off. Maps in segregated rotation was the game killer, I'll pay for whatever else. It sounds like launch content is going to be pretty substantial, so add whatever else you want and I'll buy it. Even weapons, and I know that's a less popular opinion but I'm honestly not bothered by it.

A big chunky launch game and no partitioned maps and playlists, that's all I wanted on the DLC front and it looks like they're delivering.
  • I'm all for it. Uncharted 4 uses a similar model that all maps, modes are free but they have many different types of loot crates called treasure and vanity chests that have cosmetics, upgrades and weapon unlocks, taunts (emotes), all of which are unlockable in the game. These chests are earned through in-game currency (Uncharted points) or you can spend real cash for it. I think I've spent maybe $20 over the course of a year and well worth it.