criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Mark Hamil on SW and Hollywood films in general

It's all good if it makes money. Relates current films to Transformers. I gotta agree with Mark on that one:

Replies

• TheStalker88
    6084 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Fire up the ignition sequence, 4 reactors. TFA is the target, you may fire when ready.
  • Cad_Bane
    6252 posts Member
    I really wonder about his comments he has made about Star Wars recently. Is he being serious or just trying to throw us off? Like he said he disagreed with the direction that Johnson took his character
  • TheStalker88
    6084 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Nah he was serious. He compared TFA to a Transformers movie, one you go to and say "yeah it was good, had many cool things in it." But what made it good specifically is hard to say. It's all special effects and cool animations nowadays. You watch a movie like it's a video game. He said this is Hollywood's trend now, making money being top priority and then said TFA had served that very purpose and trend. Basically a shallow, very action oriented movie centered around new characters trying to blow up Super Death star v 3.0.
  • Cad_Bane wrote: »
    I really wonder about his comments he has made about Star Wars recently. Is he being serious or just trying to throw us off? Like he said he disagreed with the direction that Johnson took his character

He mention before he thinks the Sequals and Prequals are unnecessary because the story was told, everything else is just a cash in. I tend to disagree because Clone Wars era outside the films gave us some cool stories and a solid animated series and I like the new films under Disney so far, but he does have a point if you think about it.
  • mastery0ta
    6072 posts Member
    If Luke **** Skywalker has lost his faith in the franchise, how am I supposed to feel?
  • Strogg1980
    2559 posts Member
    mastery0ta wrote: »
    If Luke **** Skywalker has lost his faith in the franchise, how am I supposed to feel?

yeah but he has, not hated, I guess been indifferent, about everything in SW since the 90's. I mean its ok to disagree with mark hamill lol. I like the Clone Wars Cartoons and the newer films (not really the prequels) where as Hamill does not like anything post Return of the Jedi.
  • Hamil doesn't like anything post ep 6 and I agree with him. TFA was a bad movie in many ways.
  • mastery0ta
    6072 posts Member
    Amen! Awakens was hot garbage
  • Strogg1980
    2559 posts Member
    Still better than the prequals in most ways tho.
  • Cad_Bane
    6252 posts Member
    Strogg1980 wrote: »

Maybe better than episode 1
  • Strogg1980
    2559 posts Member
    Cad_Bane wrote: »

Id definitely say miles better than 2 as well lol. Come on,aside from the 45 minute battle scene at the end, 2 was garbage with some of the worst lines Sci-fi has seen
  • Cad_Bane
    6252 posts Member
    edited July 2017

Id definitely say miles better than 2 as well lol. Come on,aside from the 45 minute battle scene at the end, 2 was garbage with some of the worst lines Sci-fi has seen

I really enjoyed 2. Sure it has its problems but it still is enjoyable to watch. All of the obi wan scenes are cool, especially the fight with jango. I would say there's more I enjoyed in episode 2 than 7. Plus I liked the all the characters in 2 unlike TFA. Between the bad acting and silly forced kid humor and horrible story line, episode 7 might be the worst
  • Vespervin
    691 posts Member
    I definitely enjoyed Episodes I and II more than VII. Sure, the prequels had their issues, many that they may be, but at least they... ah, screw it. I tire of this kind of discussion.

I'll just be an observer of this topic from now on. :)
    Failed to connect to EA Online.
  • mastery0ta
    6072 posts Member
    The world building and characters of the prequels is what I was missing from awakens. Predictable, rehashed plot, I like the new characters this isn't about bashing Rey. It's a new hope in HD.
  • Strogg1980
    2559 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    The world building and characters of the prequels is what I was missing from awakens. Predictable, rehashed plot, I like the new characters this isn't about bashing Rey. It's a new hope in HD.

Character building? The characters were terribly done in the prequals. Anakin was a lifeless corpse compared to Rey or Finn. Obi Wan, Palpatine and Dooku were the only characters with soul and emotion and that was only due to their legendary actors giving it their all, their lines were still awful. If they were all unknowns that had little to bo experience like Hayden, they would have all been miserable to watch.

I really enjoyed 2. Sure it has its problems but it still is enjoyable to watch. All of the obi wan scenes are cool, especially the fight with jango. I would say there's more I enjoyed in episode 2 than 7. Plus I liked the all the characters in 2 unlike TFA. Between the bad acting and silly forced kid humor and horrible story line, episode 7 might be the worst

If you didnt like Episode 7 for the acting, then how do you like 2? By any standard of acting and writing, it was not as well produced. Thats not an opinion there, its a fact. Go to any English/writing professora nd they will easily tell you that.

I get not liking it for the plot or setting, totally your opinion and understandable, or not visually finding the characters interesting....but lets be honest, its totally nostalgia or favoritism towards the era on your guys part if you even remotely think Episode 1-3 had better acting and writing. 7 had far superior acting and writing. Thats not,and should not be up for debate lol. Its like debating 2+2=4.
  • Cad_Bane
    6252 posts Member
    edited July 2017

Character building? The characters were terribly done in the prequals. Anakin was a lifeless corpse compared to Rey or Finn. Obi Wan, Palpatine and Dooku were the only characters with soul and emotion and that was only due to their legendary actors giving it their all, their lines were still awful. If they were all unknowns that had little to bo experience like Hayden, they would have all been miserable to watch.

If you didnt like Episode 7 for the acting, then how do you like 2? By any standard of acting and writing, it was not as well produced. Thats not an opinion there, its a fact. Go to any English/writing professora nd they will easily tell you that.

I get not liking it for the plot or setting, totally your opinion and understandable, or not visually finding the characters interesting....but lets be honest, its totally nostalgia or favoritism towards the era on your guys part if you even remotely think Episode 1-3 had better acting and writing. 7 had far superior acting and writing. Thats not,and should not be up for debate lol. Its like debating 2+2=4.

It's not fact. Sure some of the parts of prequels were bad (imo it's the writing more than the acting) but they were still more entertaining. Episode 7 had horrible, predictable plot, acting was pretty bad with also horribly written lines(fins acting was the worst imo and also the Rey interrogation scene was incredibly awkward) and it wasn't entertaining to me or even had the feel of a Star Wars movie. Maybe the worst part of the movie was how they destroyed all character development of the OT characters. After watching the movie in theaters I left feeling like that wasn't a Star Wars movie. The silly forced kid humor was atrocious and ruined the movie. Also the massive plot holes don't help. The movie was bad and I don't like the direction they took the franchise so far, and that's my opinion. You can't say the prequels are horrible and that's a fact because it's not a fact it's an opinion. Episode 3 is my favorite and that's my opinion.
  • Cad_Bane
    6252 posts Member
    Just watch the first 15 minutes.

The blatant copying of OT should be embarrassing to anybody that had part in making that
  • mastery0ta
    6072 posts Member
    Nah not character building, world building. Seeing how everything fits together in the old republic. 7 really doesn't explain what shape the galaxy is in, and apparently everything sacrificed in the OT means nothing. Still flying xwings and tie fighters, death star 3, and the poor princess is still fighting a lopsided battle. Why in the hell does the resistance operate independently from the new republic? Same team right?
  • Trooper8059
    10199 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Nah not character building, world building. Seeing how everything fits together in the old republic. 7 really doesn't explain what shape the galaxy is in, and apparently everything sacrificed in the OT means nothing. Still flying xwings and tie fighters, death star 3, and the poor princess is still fighting a lopsided battle. Why in the **** does the resistance operate independently from the new republic? Same team right?

The New Republic became a pacifist government under the leadership of Mon Mothma.

I'd still much rather have a fully armed Republic army fight the First Order. The underdog scenario has already been played out, and the prequels didn't convince many that the Clone Wars was the largest war since the foundation of the Republic.
    PSN: Trooper8059
    "Remember: Your focus determines your reality."
    ezgif_5_a643336582.gif
  • Strogg1980
    2559 posts Member

It's not fact. Sure some of the parts of prequels were bad (imo it's the writing more than the acting) but they were still more entertaining. Episode 7 had horrible, predictable plot, acting was pretty bad with also horribly written lines(fins acting was the worst imo and also the Rey interrogation scene was incredibly awkward) and it wasn't entertaining to me or even had the feel of a Star Wars movie. Maybe the worst part of the movie was how they destroyed all character development of the OT characters. After watching the movie in theaters I left feeling like that wasn't a Star Wars movie. The silly forced kid humor was atrocious and ruined the movie. Also the massive plot holes don't help. The movie was bad and I don't like the direction they took the franchise so far, and that's my opinion. You can't say the prequels are horrible and that's a fact because it's not a fact it's an opinion. Episode 3 is my favorite and that's my opinion.

it is fact. lol take both scripts to a professor of writing, english or drama and compare them. good writing is not a matter of opinion, its a solid fact. you can like it, but just because you like it does not mean its good. People need to realize an Opinion is not the golden standard. This being an example. Your perfectly within your right to say you like them. I like the first Mortal Kombat movie and that was no great flick, thats a good example of opinion vs fact. But there is such a thing as quality in writing, its not purely based on opinion. For example, 50 Shades of Grey is not a good book, its terrible, garbage. that's not my opinion, its a fact. the author just cannot write.

Episode 2 is inferior to 7 as far as a general movie is concerned in the acting and writing department, thats totally a fact.

also for a REAL review on the film-
  • Cad_Bane
    6252 posts Member

it is fact. lol take both scripts to a professor of writing, english or drama and compare them. good writing is not a matter of opinion, its a solid fact. you can like it, but just because you like it does not mean its good. People need to realize an Opinion is not the golden standard. This being an example. Your perfectly within your right to say you like them. I like the first Mortal Kombat movie and that was no great flick, thats a good example of opinion vs fact. But there is such a thing as quality in writing, its not purely based on opinion. For example, 50 Shades of Grey is not a good book, its terrible, garbage. that's not my opinion, its a fact. the author just cannot write.

Episode 2 is inferior to 7 as far as a general movie is concerned in the acting and writing department, thats totally a fact

That's an opinion. Just because somebody says episode 2 has bad writing doesn't make it a bad movie or automatically makes it inferior to other movies. You can't possibly claim TFA was a good movie by any means. TFA being a blatant copy of ANH is considered good writing? Lol. Not sure if this is even worth debating anymore if we start to consider opinion as fact
  • Strogg1980
    2559 posts Member
    edited July 2017

Episode 2 is inferior to 7 as far as a general movie is concerned in the acting and writing department, thats totally a fact

That's an opinion. Just because somebody says episode 2 has bad writing doesn't make it a bad movie or automatically makes it inferior to other movies. You can't possibly claim TFA was a good movie by any means. TFA being a blatant copy of ANH is considered good writing? Lol. Not sure if this is even worth debating anymore if we start to consider opinion as fact

Everything is not based around opinion and everyone is not right in their opinion. I mean thinking that way, you have to respect ****'s opinion and book lol. another good example of an opinion being wrong. just like saying 50 Shades of Grey is a good book. Its not. Same with Episode 2. it was a poorly written film. that not up for debate when viewing it through a proper professional lense.

Are you claiming word for word it was a copy of New Hope? because thats just straight up not true lol. the plot loosely follows it, drop abandoned on desert world, hero finds him, escapes on smuggler ship, middle part breaks from New hope actually, then continue with star killer, planet destroying weapon, attack on big battle station, rescue the hero (try to since she escaped) final lightsaber duel.
  • mastery0ta
    6072 posts Member
    Is mon monthma still alive in New Canon? I know in the books she got dead, ill or something
  • mastery0ta
    6072 posts Member
    P.s. 50 shades of gray was awful.
  • Cad_Bane
    6252 posts Member

Everything is not based around opinion and everyone is not right in their opinion. I mean thinking that way, you have to respect ****'s opinion and book lol. another good example of an opinion being wrong. just like saying 50 Shades of Grey is a good book. Its not. Same with Episode 2. it was a poorly written film. that not up for debate when viewing it through a proper professional lense.

Are you claiming word for word it was a copy of New Hope? because thats just straight up not true lol. the plot loosely follows it, drop abandoned on desert world, hero finds him, escapes on smuggler ship, middle part breaks from New hope actually, then continue with star killer, planet destroying weapon, attack on big battle station, rescue the hero (try to since she escaped) final lightsaber duel.

The plot heavily follows ANH. The whole plot, even certain scenes are identical replicas of ANH. And to your other point; I'm not saying episode 2 didn't have its problems because it did but I still enjoyed the film. I'm saying it is not fact that the movie is complete garbage and it's not fact the episode 7 is a better movie than episode 2 both are an opinion. Everybody has different opinions because they enjoy different things
  • TheStalker88
    6084 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Let's reflect again on what TFA was really like:

Ep 1 and 2 were still alot better. Yeah ep 2 had some awkward and cheesy acting but TFA wasn't much better either and action in ep 2 was way better too imo. Some scenes in ep 2 were just gorgeous as well, especially Coruscant, the clone one and the whole arena fighting with the battle following was great. Dooku vs Yoda was nice as well.
  • Cad_Bane
    6252 posts Member
    Let's reflect again on what TFA was really like:

Ep 1 and 2 were still alot better. Yeah ep 2 had some awkward and cheesy acting but TFA wasn't much better either and action in ep 2 was way better too imo. Some scenes in ep 2 were just gorgeous as well, especially Coruscant, the clone one and the whole arena fighting with the battle following was great. Dooku vs Yoda was nice as well.

All of the obi wan scenes were good imo
  • Yeah they were. Can't skip the Jango scenes either.