criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Cross era heroes in all modes - yay or not yay

Prev134567
TheStalker88
6084 posts Member
edited June 2017
I think it would mess up immersion quite a bit. Imagine walker assault on hoth with Dooku, Rey, Yoda, Darth Vader and Kylo Ren. No, infantry would be locked to each era. Would you still consider this a worthy game to get?

Replies

• Landeaux
    3467 posts Member
    This seems premature. They're doing it for the beta and although it's as close to confirmed as possible, I understand both sides. I am very cautious about keeping eras separate and sovereign but I also see the point of ranking up Rey, for example, but not being able to carry over her progress if you're thrown into an OT game
  • Ahsoka_Tano
    7341 posts Member
    Nay (I am for mixing in fun modes, but not in modes like Conquest or Space Battles).
    For General Ahsoka Tano!
    h3d5nuo8y0jq.png

• TheStalker88
    6084 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    So only some. Yeah I agree. It's good for leveling up heroes as well as Landeaux said.
  • Jarrad
    2270 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Well, if EA/DICE chooses to do it, I guess we'll all have to live with it.

Wouldn't be my personal preference, but, it is what it is.

But, perhaps, EA/DICE is only doing Cross-Mixing of the Heroes/Villains of the different Eras just for the Gameplay Reveal at EA Play and are not wanting to show off Yoda just yet (and are also not wanting to also officially confirm Obi-Wan as well just yet for that matter).

But, maybe it is how the game will turn out and Cross-Mixing of the Heroes/Villains of the different Eras will occur in all modes in the game.

Guess we'll find out later.
  • Laser921
    1831 posts Member
    I would say nay for all modes. For HvV sure but let's say theres a mode like Supremacy, you know, good old fashioned battle, vehicles and ships included, I don't want to see Maul fighting Rey(although itd be fun to see him beat her in a fight) or Luke vs. Maul
    Emotion yet Peace, Ignorance yet Knowledge, Passion yet Serenity, Chaos yet Harmony, Death yet the Force
  • wobo1313
    205 posts Member
    Nay on all modes except for heroes and villains
  • wobo1313 wrote: »

giphy.gif
  • 2000sGuy
    5854 posts Member
    YESSS! THIS IS GREAT! Star Wars Battlefront Infinity 3.0 is looking great!
    #Hype
    Hey Man.
    fw2yVS7.jpg
  • Trooper8059
    10199 posts Member
    wobo1313 wrote: »

And Hero Blast (if it even exists anymore)
    PSN: Trooper8059
    "Remember: Your focus determines your reality."
    ezgif_5_a643336582.gif
  • rollind24
    5345 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Yay .. I really could care less as long as I have fun playing.
    #infantrylivesmatter
  • 2000sGuy wrote: »
    #Hype

i should have bought that... it looks pretty good. too bad they canned it all
    The greatest moderator that EA has ever had.
  • CPT_Rex
    725 posts Member
    Nay. Keep non-hero modes pure.
    "In my book, experience outranks everything."
  • 2000sGuy
    5854 posts Member
    2000sGuy wrote: »
    #Hype

i should have bought that... it looks pretty good. too bad they canned it all

yea buying all those figures just aren't worth it anymore :joy:
    Hey Man.
    fw2yVS7.jpg
  • Pratore
    653 posts Member
    nay, it will ruin the game if i see rey battling againt battle droids.
  • Nay.
    It's helmetless Stormtroopers all over again and we all know how that turned out. If there's one key thing that that debacle proved quite conclusively it was that fans don't like elements that break immersion too much, and that's exactly what cross-era heroes in infantry battles would do.
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    My Concepts
    Clone Skin Changes | Clone Customisation & Menu | Empire Customisation & Menu
  • Landeaux
    3467 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Nay.
    It's helmetless Stormtroopers all over again and we all know how that turned out. If there's one key thing that that debacle proved quite conclusively it was that fans don't like elements that break immersion too much, and that's exactly what cross-era heroes in infantry battles would do.

Well I see both sides of the argument. -before I continue I do not want to see helmetless troopers- It would seem awkward for Kylo to be leading the Droid army but it would also be maddening to exclusively play your favorite character and rank him/her up but your hard-earned progress is locked to 1/3 of the game.
  • Kenny_Bania_GOLD
    2107 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Nay.

Werd.
    There's always a threshold. A tipping point, if you will. Everybody can put up with certain aspects of non canon play if it's fun. But at a certain point you reach 'meh, but now it doesnt feel like star wars'. Let's be honest: most of us are here for the star wars element of battlefront first. Not the stellar gameplay DICE developed.

Keep it to hero restricted 'smash bros' type game modes and ok, that works. But now I gotta die to Maul as a Resistance fighter so some dolt can get his Doc Ock Maul skin? Fantastic. Just like I had to see a field full of stormtrooper bucketheads sans bucket so that Bobby could pick a face that looked 'kindaaaa' like his.

Thanks Bobby.
    Thanks Dennis.

• Nay.

Werd.
    There's always a threshold. A tipping point, if you will. Everybody can put up with certain aspects of non cannon play if it's fun. But at a certain point you reach 'meh, but now it doesnt feel like star wars'. Let's be honest: most of us are here for the star wars element of battlefront first. Not the stellar gameplay DICE developed.

Keep it to hero restricted 'smash bros' type game modes and ok, that works. But now I gotta die to Maul as a Resistance fighter so some dolt can get his Doc Ock Maul skin? Fantastic. Just like I had to see a field full of stormtrooper bucketheads sans bucket so that Bobby could pick a face that looked 'kindaaaa' like his.

Thanks Bobby.
    Thanks Dennis.
    Well, since Poolshark closed my thread, here's my more detailed argument against cross-era heroes in infantry battles:
    Imagine, if you will, that a shooter game like Battlefront is being made that features real-world, historical armies. So there could be Allies & Naz!s in WWII, Union & Confederates in the Civil War, and British & French in the Napoleonic Wars. For each of these historical eras, there would be a "hero/villain" for each side such as Paton for the Allies & H!tler for the Naz!s, Ulysses S. Grant for the Union & Robert E. Lee for the Confederates, and Lord Nelson for the British & Napoleon for the French. Now, imagine that you could play as these historical figures in any era, so you could play as H!tler in the Civil War, Nelson in WWII, and Robert E Lee in the Napoleonic War.
    Would that be "fun"? Would seeing these people in completely the wrong time period be "fun"?
    Well, to me, that's exactly what cross-era heroes in Battlefront II would be like; completely inaccurate and wrong. Now, I know what some of you will say, "gameplay > accuracy", but if that were true then DICE wouldn't have bowed to public pressure and removed helmetless Stormtroopers. Even the devs admitted that their inclusion never felt quite right. Then there's the whole "Krennic fighting Luke, Leia, etc" argument, but that too is easily dismissable because while it is true that seeing these characters fight one another is slightly immersion-breaking, at least they existed in the same time period. Seeing Rey fight alongside Clones is no different than seeing Napoleon fighting in WWII.
    The "Rogue One heroes" argument, as well as the "wrong map" argument, is like a tiny crack in the "Immersion Dam", whilst the idea of cross-era heroes is like the crack in the dam bursting open and destroying everything.
    Now, there could be a chance that Rey is just a place-filler because DICE haven't finished developing PT heroes and therefore have none playable for EA Play and that they may reveal PT-era hero 3D models like what they did with Maul at SWCO. If, however, this sliver of hope is dashed at EA Play, then I would just like to remind the developers at DICE of 2 words: helmetless Stormtroopers.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    My Concepts
    Clone Skin Changes | Clone Customisation & Menu | Empire Customisation & Menu
  • Cad_Bane
    6252 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    having heroes and villains like jyn, greedo and krennic on some maps like for example hoth didn't technically make since but wasn't a big deal since krennic fought for the empire and jyn fought for the rebel alliance. I'm fine though with heroes vs villains mixing heroes. But having general grievous leading the first order into battle on jakku seems to be pushing it. By that standard there was no reason why we couldn't of had mace windu added to the old battlefront as a hero.
  • Nay, except in hero modes. I Don't want to be playing walker assault or something like it then see young Anakin vs Darth Vader or Rey vs Darth Maul (She would die instantly)
  • Shinjuku
    1760 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    rollind24 wrote: »

Exactly, it's a yay from me too.
    MLtmeEi.png
    " If you're not with me, then you're my enemy."
  • Landeaux
    3467 posts Member
    rollind24 wrote: »

So you're saying you do care
  • Hell to the nay

Literally deal breaking for me
  • Happy-Gilmore-Thumbs-Down.gif
    #noeramixing
    PSN: Bucman55 "The ability to speak does not make you intellegent."
    "[Cross-Era play] would essentially ruin the eras and turn them into nothing much more than the same thing and same experience but with a different skin. Which is contrary to the point in having eras in the first place." - ZmanGames
  • Pratore
    653 posts Member
    Icemanx442 wrote: »
    (She would die instantly)

thats also true, rey shouldnt last more than 2 seconds with a jedi master. Darth maul would kill her with eyes closed. So would any other jedi from the PT

• Kylo ren leading the CIS army ...

Literally SMFH dice
  • Would be insane
  • Cad_Bane
    6252 posts Member
    Just imagine hearing the guy on the intercom say good news Clone troopers Luke skywalker has joined us in battle :s
  • Jarrad
    2270 posts Member
    Cad_Bane wrote: »
    Just imagine hearing the guy on the intercom say good news Clone troopers Luke skywalker has joined us in battle :s

SMH to fighting in arms with a Hero character that wasn't even born yet

Or how about "Good News First Order Troopers, Darth Maul is here to assist", when the Hero character has been dead for over 30 years

Silly decision
  • Warrior
    297 posts Member
    Nay, but I think that in hero battle modes, you should be able to.
    I had a dream, that one day on the sweet hills of Georgia, everybody will be able to play the Star Wars game they've always wanted.
  • Laser921
    1831 posts Member
    They need to fix HvV first
    Emotion yet Peace, Ignorance yet Knowledge, Passion yet Serenity, Chaos yet Harmony, Death yet the Force
  • Elusive_DJ
    3141 posts Member
    Crossing heroes between eras and certain modes!? Count me in!
    ⦗ XBOX GT: EIusive DJ⦘~ "The Knights of Gareth are eternal..." ✔
    \⧹If you happen to have ANY ideas for any hero you desire to have in Battlefront 2, Let me know in a DM!⧸/
    How to make Every Hero Viable in Battlefront 2

aakkhwbkosde.gif

• Elusive_DJ
    3141 posts Member
    Cad_Bane wrote: »

I really like this B)
    ⦗ XBOX GT: EIusive DJ⦘~ "The Knights of Gareth are eternal..." ✔
    \⧹If you happen to have ANY ideas for any hero you desire to have in Battlefront 2, Let me know in a DM!⧸/
    How to make Every Hero Viable in Battlefront 2

aakkhwbkosde.gif

• joeybmx7
    1020 posts Member
    I think the cross era mixing should be available offline in single-player, that way players can do what they want in any way that they want like a true sand-box experience.

However, I think that cross era mixing should be limited in multiplayer to just heroes and villains. If each era is going to have 2-3 heroes and 2-3 villains, it might get rather stale playing and seeing the same heroes in each era and it would also limit the game quite a bit as there is a leveling system for the heroes. I personally wouldn't want to spend hours upon hours leveling up my Luke Skywalker hero, just to play as him in 4 maps. I would want to take that character and kick butt whenever I enter multiplayer, not be limited to when I could use him.

Also by splitting the game up via eras, it creates the same problem the season pass had where you want to play a game of Infiltration on the Death Star, but you can't find a game because everyone is playing the Scarif DLC. Perhaps the game will be planet exclusive where you pick a game mode and depending on what planet you're on, depends on the faction the teams will be placed on. (Sounds likely)
    We NEED Offline Galactic Assault (Where the objectives are suitable for the AI and where the ENTIRE large scale maps are utilized by both the player and AI), Vehicle AI to fight against in large scale battles offline, and of course SA Offline.
    #soloplayersmatter #singleplayersmatter #offlinegamersmatter
  • Kylo ren leading the CIS army ...

Literally SMFH dice
    Bye Thiago.
    A thousand generations live in you now, but this is your fight.
    mbetxwnmm1qiioixt6xy.gif
  • Like most are saying, nay except for Heroes Vs. Villains. What I love about the 1st EA Battlefront and what keeps me coming back every time is the immersion and realism and feeling like I'm actually in the Star Wars universe. Crossing eras would ruin that, and frankly...Would ruin the entire game.
  • I'm not crazy about cross era heroes either honestly. It's not gamebreaking from my perspective, just as helmetless troopers weren't gamebreaking. It is incredibly distracting though, and it just feels wrong. It's one thing to do it in a mode like Heroes Vs Villains, but it's completely different to do it in other larger modes. It also seems silly to do it when they have announced that things like planets and weapons will be era locked. If you're gonna do cross era heroes, you might as well go whole hog with it. I'm still holding out hope that it will just be for the live play test.
    #JustSayNoToReyLo
  • Techkiddz
    649 posts Member
    **** immersion! I want fun!
  • Techkiddz
    649 posts Member
    I get it if most modes keep heroes to their exclusive eras, but hero vs hero modes and maybe private matches shouldn't follow.
  • mastery0ta
    6032 posts Member
    Eh I'm indifferent, as long as this isn't a way to cut back on content.
  • I say Yay because I want to not have heroes be limited. I would rather have that part of Star Wars Lore be broken that way I can make progress on my heroes on any map and mode that supports heroes.
  • Wildedile
    155 posts Member
    "This is not a good idea." - Qui-Gon Jinn

In my opinion the best way to deal with this is to have two separate modes for both sides of the issue.
  • Agherosh
    1092 posts Member
    I just hope this is some kind of manouver to just show something from the ST like Rey in the gameplay reveal and that it's something that they will change for release.

For one, breaks immersion, and two, it would mean less characters overall.
    #TipleeTiplarForBF2
  • TMachine97
    1022 posts Member
    Considering the amount of people who were complaining about immersion in the last game (Wing Guards on any planet other than Bespin, Sandtroopers on Hoth, Helmetless Stormtroopers, etc), it's frankly surprising how many people seem to be on board with the cross-era heroes idea, when it is possibly the most immersion-shattering thing you could think of.

• Nah, keep the era mixing in Heroes vs Heroes or custom offline battles
  • ROMG4
    2440 posts Member
    wobo1313 wrote: »

And Hero Blast (if it even exists anymore)

Hero Blast was a lame name Hero Assault FOREVER!

OOM-9 FOR BATTLEFRONT 2
    OOM-9 Hero Concept by AzelfandQuilava
    https://i.redd.it/uleh1g22xrhz.png

OOM-9 Canonical Material Check-List:

Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace
    William Shakespeare's The Phantom of Menace: Star Wars Part the First
    Ultimate Star Wars (Reference Guide)
    Star Wars: On the Front Lines (Reference Guide)
    Darth Maul: "Who is supervising the search for the Gungan cities?" Nute Gunray: "Commander OOM-Nine." Darth Maul: "A droid. The predecessor of your inept B-Ones." Rune Haako: "A superior droid, Lord Maul. Viceroy Gunray's personal guard."
    The OOM-9 Thread
    https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/76756/the-oom-9-thread-9-9-the-phantom-droid/p1
  • Stalemate
    3600 posts Member
    I don't mind it in a few specific hero modes but in general they should be locked to their own era imo.
  • ROMG4
    2440 posts Member
    Screw it let's just go full nut meg on this game!

Luke Skywalker Vs. Darth Maul on Endor, Krennic Vs. Chewie on Naboo, OOM-9 (Finally a worthy Commander for the FO) leading the First Order to victory on Yavin Four

Those that spammed Iconic and Immersion shall be made to SUFFER but in my opinion

Everything I just wrote sounds awesome!
    OOM-9 FOR BATTLEFRONT 2

Darth Maul: "Who is supervising the search for the Gungan cities?" Nute Gunray: "Commander OOM-Nine." Darth Maul: "A droid. The predecessor of your inept B-Ones." Rune Haako: "A superior droid, Lord Maul. Viceroy Gunray's personal guard."
    The OOM-9 Thread
    https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/76756/the-oom-9-thread-9-9-the-phantom-droid/p1
  • Noo!!

Only in a hero hero only mode! No rey vs droids!
  • ROMG4
    2440 posts Member
    Noo!!

Only in a hero hero only mode! No rey vs droids!

OOM-9 FOR BATTLEFRONT 2

The OOM-9 Thread
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!