criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
July Community Calendar
Obi-Wan Kenobi Community Quests

don't star destroyers have good guns?

Warrior
298 posts Member
In walker assault, there are star destroyers in the sky. The entire battle seems to be centered around transporting the AT-AT, but why don't the star destroyers just take out the rebel transport ship? They should have MUCH more firepower. Correct me if I'm wrong. :/
I had a dream, that one day on the sweet hills of Georgia, everybody will be able to play the Star Wars game they've always wanted.

Replies

• Evazan127
    8105 posts Member
    They are busy fighting in the air and it would be real hard to aim from that high up. Also on Hoth they have that cannon thing.

BTW this is the wrong place for this thread.
  • Warrior
    298 posts Member
    EvazanJr wrote: »
    They are busy fighting in the air and it would be real hard to aim from that high up. Also on Hoth they have that cannon thing.

k thx, I just thought that if I was right (which I'm not), it would be good for them to be careful in BFnt 2
    I had a dream, that one day on the sweet hills of Georgia, everybody will be able to play the Star Wars game they've always wanted.
  • Warrior
    298 posts Member
    wait, but where does the orbital strike come from? Couldn't it hit the transport ship?
  • TheStalker88
    6084 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    They're focusing their firepower on arial combat. But honestly they should drop a few proton torpedoes on the ground as well.
  • They're focusing their firepower on aerial combat. But honestly they should drop a few proton torpedoes on the ground as well.

They don't have proton torpedoes. They're only armed with turbolasers and ion cannons.
    PSN: Bucman55 "The ability to speak does not make you intellegent."
    "[Cross-Era play] would essentially ruin the eras and turn them into nothing much more than the same thing and same experience but with a different skin. Which is contrary to the point in having eras in the first place." - ZmanGames
  • The mode is incredibly floored in many ways. It makes no sense why rebels can only damage the walker at certain intervals. It also makes no sense why activating the uplinks increases the number of y wings.
  • Warrior
    298 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    They're focusing their firepower on aerial combat. But honestly they should drop a few proton torpedoes on the ground as well.

They don't have proton torpedoes. They're only armed with turbolasers and ion cannons.

Who's the stupid Imperial designer? I want his head! (I didn't swear)
  • Warrior wrote: »
    They're focusing their firepower on aerial combat. But honestly they should drop a few proton torpedoes on the ground as well.

Who's the **** Imperial designer? I want his head!

They don't need proton torpedoes. The sheer amount of turbolasers and ion cannons (60 batteries of each plus the 8 octuple turbolaser turrets on the ISD II) is enough to deal with pretty much anything the Empire considers a threat.
    "[Cross-Era play] would essentially ruin the eras and turn them into nothing much more than the same thing and same experience but with a different skin. Which is contrary to the point in having eras in the first place." - ZmanGames
  • Ahsoka_Tano
    7341 posts Member
    Thrawn had shot the Rebel ground troops.
    For General Ahsoka Tano!
    h3d5nuo8y0jq.png

• Warrior
    298 posts Member
    Warrior wrote: »

They don't need proton torpedoes. The sheer amount of turbolasers and ion cannons (60 batteries of each plus the 8 octuple turbolaser turrets on the ISD II) is enough to deal with pretty much anything the Empire considers a threat.

couldn't they spare a laser for just a second?

Why? Anything the Empire considers to be a threat is easily dealt with by spitting turbolaser bolts at it.
  • Ahsoka_Tano
    7341 posts Member
    edited June 2017

The models you saw in BF (2015) are there for the atmosphere and don't contribute to the gameplay. Also it would be awful for infantry to be shot from the Star Destroyers.
    Post edited by Ahsoka_Tano on
    For General Ahsoka Tano!
    h3d5nuo8y0jq.png

• Warrior
    298 posts Member

The models you saw in BF (2015) are there for the atmosphere and don't contribute to the gameplay. Also I would be awful for infantry to be shot from the Star Destroyers.

Ik, it just seems unrealistic

Why? Anything the Empire considers to be a threat is easily dealt with by spitting turbolaser bolts at it.

why would they send an AT-AT instead. Seems like a lot of extra work.

The models you saw in BF (2015) are there for the atmosphere and don't contribute to the gameplay. Also I would be awful for infantry to be shot from the Star Destroyers.

To deal with a transport? I don't know, take that up with the Imperial Military.
  • ROMG4
    2613 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    The mode is incredibly floored in many ways. It makes no sense why rebels can only damage the walker at certain intervals. It also makes no sense why activating the uplinks increases the number of y wings.
    Personally I like how you can lay out a Precision (If it works lol) Orbital Bombardment from a Star Destroyer which is in space by the way with Electro-Binoculars. but yet to lay out a attack plan which involves just flying over a area, you need to use this super big and bulky Uplink which apparently is indestructible, because you can't destroy it. to relay a attack plan because apparently the Y-Wing Pilots are so forgetful they each need to memorize their own set of the same coordinates

Also apparently you can't just call in coordinates the normal way because...reasons and these reasons apparently involve the absolute worst computer in the history of Star Wars
    OOM-9 FOR BATTLEFRONT 2
    OOM-9 Hero Concept by AzelfandQuilava
    https://i.redd.it/uleh1g22xrhz.png

OOM-9 Canonical Material Check-List:

Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace
    William Shakespeare's The Phantom of Menace: Star Wars Part the First
    Ultimate Star Wars (Reference Guide)
    Star Wars: On the Front Lines (Reference Guide)
    Darth Maul: "Who is supervising the search for the Gungan cities?" Nute Gunray: "Commander OOM-Nine." Darth Maul: "A droid. The predecessor of your inept B-Ones." Rune Haako: "A superior droid, Lord Maul. Viceroy Gunray's personal guard."
    The OOM-9 Thread
    https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/76756/the-oom-9-thread-9-9-the-phantom-droid/p1
  • Warrior
    298 posts Member
    ROMG4 wrote: »
    The mode is incredibly floored in many ways. It makes no sense why rebels can only damage the walker at certain intervals. It also makes no sense why activating the uplinks increases the number of y wings.
    Personally I like how you can lay out a Precision (If it works lol) Orbital Bombardment from a Star Destroyer which is in space by the way with Electro-Binoculars. but yet to lay out a attack plan which involves just flying over a area, you need to use this super big and bulky Uplink which apparently is indestructible, because you can't destroy it. to relay a attack plan because apparently the Y-Wing Pilots are so forgetful they each need to memorize their own set of the same coordinates

Also apparently you can't just call in coordinates the normal way because...reasons and these reasons apparently involve the absolute worst computer in the history of Star Wars

"I'd like an orbital strike at all the up-links!" *everybody gasps*
    "Why didn't we think of that?" (This is the conversation that should have happened.)
  • Evazan127
    8105 posts Member
    EvazanJr wrote: »

k thx, I just thought that if I was right (which I'm not), it would be good for them to be careful in BFnt 2

Good idea though maybe we see a mode with ships firing at the ground
  • Laser921
    1868 posts Member
    Well yes they would but a game like that wouldn't be fun don't you think? It
    d be over in a few seconds
    Emotion yet Peace, Ignorance yet Knowledge, Passion yet Serenity, Chaos yet Harmony, Death yet the Force
  • Lonnisity
    1945 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    [SNIP]
    "Yeah, I'm responsible these days. It's the price you pay for being successful."
  • Warrior
    298 posts Member
    Laser921 wrote: »

I know, I just get really annoyed at any inconsistencies. Star Trek DS9 makes me want to cry!
  • Laser921
    1868 posts Member

I know, I just get really annoyed at any inconsistencies. Star Trek DS9 makes me want to cry!

Honestly I liked that one, particularly when it got the the actual war part of it
    Emotion yet Peace, Ignorance yet Knowledge, Passion yet Serenity, Chaos yet Harmony, Death yet the Force
  • ROMG4
    2613 posts Member

"Why didn't we think of that?" (This is the conversation that should have happened.)
    Walker Assault is so silly and nutty

The "plotline" and the Mechanics unroll faster than the biggest plothole in the Phantom Menace :p
    OOM-9 FOR BATTLEFRONT 2
    OOM-9 Hero Concept by AzelfandQuilava
    https://i.redd.it/uleh1g22xrhz.png

OOM-9 Canonical Material Check-List:

Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace
    William Shakespeare's The Phantom of Menace: Star Wars Part the First
    Ultimate Star Wars (Reference Guide)
    Star Wars: On the Front Lines (Reference Guide)
    Darth Maul: "Who is supervising the search for the Gungan cities?" Nute Gunray: "Commander OOM-Nine." Darth Maul: "A droid. The predecessor of your inept B-Ones." Rune Haako: "A superior droid, Lord Maul. Viceroy Gunray's personal guard."
    The OOM-9 Thread
    https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/76756/the-oom-9-thread-9-9-the-phantom-droid/p1

Who's the **** Imperial designer? I want his head! (I didn't swear)

His name is Dennis Braanvell... look him up on Twitter
  • They're focusing their firepower on arial combat.

The "plotline" and the Mechanics unroll faster than the biggest plothole in the Phantom Menace :p

• Warrior
    298 posts Member

Honestly I liked that one, particularly when it got the the actual war part of it

I enjoy it a lot, but anything that has to do with the changelings is inconsistent
  • Warrior
    298 posts Member
    They're focusing their firepower on arial combat.

They shouldn't have tried to show the empire and rebels as equals in strength. Rebellions are built on hope, not equal firepower.
  • bfloo
    14990 posts Member

AT-AT's were designed more for intimidation.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• Warrior
    298 posts Member
    bfloo wrote: »

Yea, just seems like a lot of extra work. When they're dead, what does it matter if their intimidated?
  • bfloo
    14990 posts Member

Yea, just seems like a lot of extra work. When they're dead, what does it matter if their intimidated?

The Tarkin Doctrine was based off of creating fear.

h846398gb27k.png

• Warrior
    298 posts Member

lol, I just don't care how they felt. They'd be dead anyway.
  • bfloo
    14990 posts Member

I never said this was a good idea ;)

h846398gb27k.png

• Warrior
    298 posts Member

I never said this was a good idea ;)

:D (I couldn't find a laughing so hard I cried emoji)
  • Darth_Lame0
    121 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    It's a flaw in Star Wars logic in general, not just the game. Unless the shield generator itself was under the shield, the Imperials could've just targeted it with an orbital bombardment and then targeted Echo Base. If shield technology in ESB was the same as in Rebels, they didn't even need to destroy the shield generator. Enough bombardment on the base would eventually overload it.

In a realistic universe with Star Wars technology, military ground engagements would be rare. As far back as the Old Republic era, capital ship lasers were strong enough to level everything on a planet's surface. Why unnecessarily risk lives when you can destroy the enemy safely from orbit?

Ultimately, it's just entertainment, so rule of cool wins out, and I'm fine with that. I want my entertainment to be entertaining, after all.
    Post edited by Darth_Lame0 on
  • LERXST
    853 posts Member
    The answer is this is a video game
  • Warrior
    298 posts Member
    LERXST wrote: »
    The answer is this is a video game

(that awkward moment when you realize that you just raged over how unrealistic Super Mario is)
  • Laser921
    1868 posts Member
    It's a flaw in Star Wars logic in general, not just the game. Unless the shield generator itself was under the shield, the Imperials could've just targeted it with an orbital bombardment and then targeted Echo Base. If shield technology in ESB was the same as in Rebels, they didn't even need to destroy the shield generator. Enough bombardment on the base would eventually overload it.

In a realistic universe with Star Wars technology, military ground engagements would be rare. As far back as the Old Republic era, capital ship lasers were strong enough to level everything on a planet's surface. Why unnecessarily risk lives when you can destroy the enemy safely from orbit?

Ultimately, it's just entertainment, so rule of cool wins out, and I'm fine with that. I want my entertainment to be entertaining, after all.

What if collateral damage needs to be avoided? Kinda hard to do that from space
  • TheStalker88
    6084 posts Member
    edited June 2017

Shields could be designed to absorb way more firepower from a greater distance. The longer it takes for the blast to fly at a shield the more it charges the energy to nullufy it. It might be only a few seconds difference but for the shield that charging time could be crucial.