criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
July Community Calendar
Obi-Wan Kenobi Community Quests

What Star Wars did you grow up on?

Just for my own curiosity, what SW did you grow up with? How was it introduced to you?

I'm 29 years old, and have been a fan since I was 5 years old. A New Hope was first introduced to me on VHS and since then I've been as big of a fanboy as you can be. I got to watch the trilogy in 1997 in theaters as the special editions were re-released. Coolest film experience of my life. I was disappointed by the PT's, I could talk about this all day but moving on! I'm hoping the new films can restore some of that joy for me.

Btw, this isn't meant to be some sort of debate...just curious and thought it would be cool for fans to share their story.

Replies

• I grew up on the OT. I was 3 when I saw the movie in 1977. I love Star Wars in all its splendor. I hate being told that parts of the most beloved franchise in human history is worthless as art though... Its a pucking shame Disney feels CW era content is worthless.......
  • I grew up around Star Wars The Clone Wars. I am old enough to have seen the prequel trilogy in theaters but i didn't get into Star Wars until Star Wars The Clone Wars aired on TV.
  • The first Star Wars I ever watched was Empire Strikes back. Its still my favorite to this day :)
    "A thing called grammar needs a buff."
    - tankertoad
  • Quizolio wrote: »
    The first Star Wars I ever watched was Empire Strikes back. Its still my favorite to this day :)

Same here. It was the first movie ever I saw in a movie theatre in -82/83.

• One_Hand_Luke
    45 posts Member
    edited November 2015
    I'm (ugh..) 45, ANH at 7 and ESB at 10. Wasn't a big RotJ fan, pacing felt rushed to me. Prequels had a few moments for me. Looking very forward to TFA. I just wish I kept all the toys mint in box from OG days. Battlefront freaks my brain, love it.
  • grom
    1440 posts Member
    edited November 2015
    I have to say that episode 7 and another that will fallow will be the best episodes yet. :D
  • mlr8
    121 posts Member
    I am 30 so 4,5 and 6 were out before my birth I had a mom and dad who hated me so I did not watch the wars tell i was like 10 or so when I got them on vhs and watched them all the time. I saw 1,2 and 3 in the theater. My order from most loved to least is 6,4,5,1,2,3. Unlike every one else in the world I like 1,2,3. With 3 being least it just seamed so rushed. Its aniken... 20 seconds later rise lord vader. There was no transition over to the dark side IMO. I still hate Jarjar and all the senate crap but I still like them. Clone wars may have been higher on my list if there was more wars in it. The clones come in at the last 20 min of the movie.

I am looking forward to 7 but don't want to get my hopes to high.... got my opening night tickets sitting in my pocket right now.
  • grom
    1440 posts Member
    I hope we will get BATTLEFRONT 1-7. :D
    Just like BF1-4 and in betweens.
    Keep busy DICE long way ahead of you. :D
  • I'm 20. Watched ep. 2 in theaters before I could even read. Watched it on vhs with my older brother just about every day. Hard for me to say it's my least favorite out of all of them. But because I grew up on it with my brother, I still love it. I can quote a lot of the lines. Saw ep. 3 in theaters and thought it was great. Now that I'm older I have a much deeper appreciation for the OT. Favorite to least goes; 5, 6, 3, 4, 1, 2. Regardless I love all of the movies. Can't wait for ep. 7 and the new trilogy :)
  • I'm 42....or something like that.
    Saw ANH on vhs in 1979 or 1980. Saw ESB in NYC when it premiered. That movie captured my imagination and it has never relinquished it's grasp on me. Saw ROTJ when it premiered in 1983. I was overseas at the time.

Camped out for Ep. 1. People can hate Ep. 1 all they want. That movie recaptured my imagination all over again.

Ep. 2.... Let's just skip that for now.

Camped out for Ep. 3. I nearly cried when Vader took his first mechanical breath.

Qui Gon taught me that my focus determines my reality.

I still believe in the Force.

Star Wars is the story of R2D2. Everyone else are just supporting roles.
  • I'm 20 years old. I remember seeing Episode 2 and 3 in theaters. I didn't see The Phantom Menace in theaters because I was still very young in 1999, but I do remember watching it on VHS as soon as it was released. I own all 6 films in multiple formats, and I've seen every episode of The Clone Wars and Rebels.

For me, the prequels are very much worthy of being in the saga. I think they get a lot of criticism because they weren't exactly like the Original Trilogy. Now, don't get me wrong, the OT is superior in MOST aspects, but if you understand and appreciate the prequels, you gain an even larger understanding of the OT and the rest of the Star Wars lore. A very large portion of the Star Wars universe is clarified and presented in the PT, and a lot of people forget that.

My favorite to least favorite list is as follows:
    The Empire Strikes Back
    Revenge of The Sith
    Return of The Jedi
    A New Hope
    The Phantom Menace
    Attack of The Clones

I already have tickets for The Force Awakens, and I've had Battlefront preordered for months. There are a lot of different opinions about Star Wars:", but mine is simple enough: if it's Star Wars, it's already better than anything else. So enjoy it.
  • the "original" not SE movie trilogy
    AND every star wars title on PS1 and N64
    Why do we park in driveways and drive on parkways?
    Why is there handicap parking at skating rinks?
  • Chivas
    214 posts Member
    edited November 2015
    nice thread!

i grew up with the generation who saw starwars rebels. Hera Syndulla <3
    Hera Syndulla <3
  • Joonlar
    1154 posts Member
    edited November 2015
    None of them. Though I did borrow my friends copy of Battlefront on PS2 and his dvds of the films when I was young (which I could barely remember), Star Wars has never really interested me at all until I got to play the Battlefront Beta. I LOVED the Beta. Now I've watched all the films and am working my way through the Clone Wars series and will watch Rebels after that. Now I love Star Wars lol.

My ranking of the movies would be: III, I, II, V, IV, VI. I liked the prequels a lot.
  • grom
    1440 posts Member
    edited November 2015
    Joonlar wrote: »
    None of them. Though I did borrow my friends copy of Battlefront on PS2 and his dvds of the films when I was young (which I could barely remember), Star Wars has never really interested me at all until I got to play the Battlefront Beta. I LOVED the Beta. Now I've watched all the films and am working my way through the Clone Wars series and will watch Rebels after that. Now I love Star Wars lol.

My ranking of the movies would be: III, I, II, V, IV, VI. I liked the prequels a lot.

I still say that episode 7 will be the best, it will be like all episodes in one like new old if you will. And yes episode 8 and 9 is coming too, even better. YES :D :D :D

DICE will be busy for years to come making games out of it. :D :D :D
  • The real ones...before all the digitized **** was done to them
  • The first Star Wars movie I remember watching was Attack of the Clones.
  • The first SW movie I saw was The Phantom Menace. I've been a fan ever since. (People seem to dislike that one, but it's my favorite. Nostalgia is very powerful...) I thought pod racing and lightsabers were the coolest things as a kid. Among a few other franchises, my childhood was colored with SW action figures and Lego sets. Eventually, I watched the original movies as well and really enjoyed them.
  • The real ones...before all the digitized **** was done to them

I remember the good old days when Han shot first. Then they changed it up so badly and completely ruined Han Solo's introduction in A New Hope.
    "A thing called grammar needs a buff."
    - tankertoad
  • Sakuya
    56 posts Member
    edited November 2015
    I started on the series fairly late. The Revenge of the Sith hype train left the station while I was growing up, but I never got onboard that one. Years later, I went through the original trilogy, and looking back I'm glad I started there first.

I think the most memorable one for me is Empire Strikes Back. It strikes a good balance between the big epic battle scenes and actually interesting narrative/storytelling. Neither are perfect, but both are good enough that they contrast each other in compelling ways.
  • I'm 31, I first saw Star Wars in the seventh grade. A group of teachers conspired to fill extra time at the end of the year with a showing of the holy trilogy. I was on a club field trip on the first day, so my first Star Wars movie was The Empire Strikes Back. I soon found out about the re release of the movies which kicked off my life long love of Star Wars.

I've had mixed feeling about how cool it has become to like Star Wars. Being a big Star Wars fan was something that was likely to get you picked on in my day, now it seems like everyone I meet is a fan. It is a little odd to see it splashed on everything from snack food wrappers to college football t shirts.
  • I'm 42 and sort of grew up with star wars...the good thing is..*ALL the good memories..and its sooo cool that my son also got hocked...(but now at 12 he is not that into it ofc lol)...and i love the universe..

BUT..the bad..for me..star wars represent my childhood..and I can never get rid of that in my head..There is always a voice in my head saying..star wars is mainly for kids....I stil lremember my father's sort of disbelief that a silly thing like star wars could ever be fun....

Problem is part of being 42...it was expected to outgrow things when I grew up...and if I look at my parents..everything that has to do with fantasy or fairy tale is for children and is of no interest whatsoever to them!...and the same is true about my GF that is almost half my age....I guess maybe ppl from USA are more sort of..".Its OK to like fantasy and such..even as a grown up"...but alas....I'm european
  • I am 25 year old . I grew up 90s i watch 4.5.6 and then Early in 2000s i watch starwars 1,2,3 know new MOVIE OF STARWARS is coming out this year so we have 2 more movies to go of starwars to come out starwars 8 starwars 9
  • First Star Wars movie I watched was Episode 1 when I was around 3 years old. I remember loving it [Funnily enough, its my least favorite] and got my parents to rent the OT. From there, I watched Episode 2. I remember most vividly seeing Episode 3 in the theater and getting chills down my spine from the opening scene.
  • I'm 44 years old. I grew up when Han Solo fired first. There was no Jar jar. and the movies were not edited to make them seem better. and i never had to see Darth Vader on a Disney ride holding a snow cone.... Tell now that is.
  • worst one so far

the phantom menace
    I find your lack of jimmies rustling
  • 26 and I watched the original series (4, 5, 6) first and when the prequels came out I wasn't to into them. The only one I somewhat enjoyed was Attack of the Clones.

As for the new movie coming out I'm very skeptical on it. Disney apparently from what I have gathered has basically kicked out nearly 40 years of lore out the window and made their own. Which I am not too happy with.
  • Original Trilogy - 37
    bigdchamps.png