criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Why Battlefront 2 shouldn't be casual from a financial point of view.

Prev13
I definitely think there's a much smaller market for a casual Star Wars fps now. Battlefront got a lot of people to buy a console/pc back in 2015, and most of them probably ended up getting into other games that were more hardcore. What DICE needs to understand is that they introduced massive numbers of people to gaming, and that means most of EA-front's target market isn't interested in another casual game.

Replies

• Elusive_DJ
    3141 posts Member
    It appears casual enough for me & my father to enjoy playing it in skirmish.
    ⦗ XBOX GT: EIusive DJ⦘~ "The Knights of Gareth are eternal..." ✔
    \⧹If you happen to have ANY ideas for any hero you desire to have in Battlefront 2, Let me know in a DM!⧸/
    How to make Every Hero Viable in Battlefront 2

aakkhwbkosde.gif

• Not really sure what is classified as casual, considering this is the first multiplayer I've actually played, but I would like to see it continue to be a fun, playable game. I've watched my brother in law play The Division. I could never commit to a game like that. It was just way too involved for my level of play.
  • Trooper8059
    10198 posts Member
    I wouldn't say they're aiming for the casual audience this time. I still think they're trying for that casual hardcore blend.

(Which IMO is still a very bad idea.)
    PSN: Trooper8059
    "Remember: Your focus determines your reality."
    ezgif_5_a643336582.gif
  • rollind24
    5192 posts Member
    I got my Xbox1 for BF2015. Got a few other shooter games since then and none of them have held my interest as much as BF2015 did. My hope is that the next one isn't completely revamped.
    #infantrylivesmatter
  • Hopefully, it's not casual. The playerbase died 2015 too fast.
    For General Ahsoka Tano!
    h3d5nuo8y0jq.png

• Midgeti
    22 posts Member
    rollind24 wrote: »
    I got my Xbox1 for BF2015. Got a few other shooter games since then and none of them have held my interest as much as BF2015 did. My hope is that the next one isn't completely revamped.

Lol if you want to stick with the **** 2015 battlefront that's great but none of the rest of us want anything to do with it, we need a revampment. If you haven't play the originals than do yourself a favor and play them you'll know why we all hate the 2015 one
  • rollind24
    5192 posts Member
    Midgeti wrote: »

Lol if you want to stick with the **** 2015 battlefront that's great but none of the rest of us want anything to do with it, we need a revampment. If you haven't play the originals than do yourself a favor and play them you'll know why we all hate the 2015 one

I'm not really worried about it after seeing the gameplay.
    #infantrylivesmatter
  • SWymsa
    823 posts Member
    edited June 2017

If it ends up anything like 2015 game you can bet it'll die faster than a kid with leukimia.

You enjoyed spending your money on a game that crashed and burned?

• rollind24
    5192 posts Member
    SWymsa wrote: »

If it ends up anything like 2015 game you can bet it'll die faster than a kid with leukimia.

I had fun playing it for a year and a half even without the last two DLC's. It's just my personal opinion with no real rhyme or reason behind it. With even more content I'm only expecting to enjoy the next one even more.
    #infantrylivesmatter

Don't get your hopes up too much Ahsoka. No server broswer means they want to mash casuals with pros like it doesn't matter. It's also controlled by Disney and they like casual stuff for all ages.
  • SWymsa
    823 posts Member

I had fun playing it for a year and a half even without the last two DLC's. It's just my personal opinion with no real rhyme or reason behind it. With even more content I'm only expecting to enjoy the next one even more.

Well, easily amused i guess...
  • Evazan127
    8105 posts Member
    It seems more hardcore
  • SWymsa wrote: »

I have a hard time understanding how a game, I can successfully play two years later, crashed and burned. It has become repetitive, like most things that are two years old, but it's still fun to play. Also, does the video game community think ninety bucks is a ton of money? What can you spend less than a hundred dollars on and use/play every day?
  • ROMG4
    2421 posts Member
    Deciding the intended audience for a Multiplayer game is always tricky business, because you have to balance it just right

If you make it too casual than even some Casual Players will get bored, no Hardcore Gamer will go for it and only a few Normal Gamers a half of the population that would have gotten it will get it and many of those guys will go later on down the line

If you make it too Hardcore than only the really, REALLY devoted Hard-Core Gamers will go for it

If you try and do everything at once badly than you run the risk of losing both audiences. as Casuals will find the Game too difficult and Hard-Core Gamers will find it too easy and both sides will see the lost potential for either of their preferred Game Styles

You have to find the right Balance that gets all three audiences and keeps them with the Game
    OOM-9 FOR BATTLEFRONT 2
    OOM-9 Hero Concept by AzelfandQuilava
    https://i.redd.it/uleh1g22xrhz.png

OOM-9 Canonical Material Check-List:

Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace
    William Shakespeare's The Phantom of Menace: Star Wars Part the First
    Ultimate Star Wars (Reference Guide)
    Star Wars: On the Front Lines (Reference Guide)
    Darth Maul: "Who is supervising the search for the Gungan cities?" Nute Gunray: "Commander OOM-Nine." Darth Maul: "A droid. The predecessor of your inept B-Ones." Rune Haako: "A superior droid, Lord Maul. Viceroy Gunray's personal guard."
    The OOM-9 Thread
    https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/76756/the-oom-9-thread-9-9-the-phantom-droid/p1
  • SWymsa
    823 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Kissfan07 wrote: »

I have a hard time understanding how a game, I can successfully play two years later, crashed and burned. It has become repetitive, like most things that are two years old, but it's still fun to play. Also, does the video game community think ninety bucks is a ton of money? What can you spend less than a hundred dollars on and use/play every day?

If you're trying to say the player base didn't nose dive harder the flight MH17 after a couple months go look up the numbers :wink:

I could spend the money on a game that isn't a skeletal cash grab of a gutted franchise.
  • DeFaLt17 wrote: »
    It appears casual enough for me & my father to enjoy playing it in skirmish.

is ur dad thicc
  • Shinjuku
    1758 posts Member
    I definitely think there's a much smaller market for a casual Star Wars fps now. Battlefront got a lot of people to buy a console/pc back in 2015, and most of them probably ended up getting into other games that were more hardcore. What DICE needs to understand is that they introduced massive numbers of people to gaming, and that means most of EA-front's target market isn't interested in another casual game.

I completely agree with you OP, 100%!
    MLtmeEi.png
    " If you're not with me, then you're my enemy."
  • DOWNWARDZ
    1067 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    What does BF 2 bring...

Class system - check
    Weapon customization - check
    Point system - check
    Standard game modes that have existed in every successful mp shooter for the last decade - check

Based on what has been announced. Please define exactly what is "casual".

• Crabman
    200 posts Member
    Every battlefront has been casual, they will continue being casual

It's a *ing video game people
  • TheStalker88
    6084 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    A game where you git gud easy and aren't able to get rewarded for skills becomes too repetitive and casual. A game has to entice you to be better and offer more rewards with increased difficulty. Last game was pretty much a casual festering hole. Everything got repetitive and nothing really stuck to your play style.
  • Kissfan07 wrote: »

No $h!t, I can pick up BF anytime of the week and get into a full game on ps4. All you haters speak for you self because I like the crap outta bf15 and ifs far from dead, makes me wonder if you guys really even played. And I'm seeing more and more new noobs weekly playing. As to the upcoming game, I think there gonna try to appeal to a very large group so I don't really know what to expect.
  • The usual parade of 'hardcore ' players Subjective musings. ... This IP will always be difficult to pigeon hole... especially when the is only two current generation SW games around

No $h!t, I can pick up BF anytime of the week and get into a full game on ps4. All you haters speak for you self because I like the **** outta bf15 and ifs far from dead, makes me wonder if you guys really even played. And I'm seeing more and more new noobs weekly playing. As to the upcoming game, I think there gonna try to appeal to a very large group so I don't really know what to expect.

I play on PS4 and am level 97(so I've played the game a fair bit). I was playing Sunday with a friend who bought the deluxe edition when it was on sale. There were points where we couldn't get a supremacy match. Additionally, getting DLC matches was terrible, there only ever seemed to be one half full game going on at a time in some of the playlists. This wasn't late Sunday evening or anything like that, it was about 2 o'clock in the afternoon.

Additionally, when I was trying to find Scariff matches about a month ago, it was nearly impossible to find matches during the day on weekdays, and not much better at night.

Battlefront may not be completely dead as some people are saying, but the player population for Battlefront is in the toilet, plain and simple. To deny that fact is simply to deny reality.

Also, FYI, my friend got bored with the casual gameplay within a couple days and has already stated that he probably won't play the game much more. He says there are other multiplayer games that are much more fun and that are more worth his time. That makes over a dozen friends of mine who bought Battlefront, and only one of those people still plays it, and only very occasionally at that.

EA Front simply wasn't good enough, and DICE needs to do much better with Battlefront II. Thankfully all signs point to them making needed changes.
    #JustSayNoToReyLo
  • Aryck-The-One
    1582 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Making Battlefront II competitive would be a poor financial decision. True fact; there are more casual gamers than there are competitive gamers, especially in the Star Wars fandom. Most people don't care about skill rankings, or k/d ratios, or what have you... they just want to have fun.

And like one guy already said, Star Wars: Battlefront has always been casual, thus most of it's fans are casual players... thus, making the game too competitive would prove disastrous.

Arcade mode needs 20v20 and starfighter battles for Battlefront II!!!

#soloplayersmatter #singleplayersmatter #offlinegamersmatter
  • SWymsa
    823 posts Member

No $h!t, I can pick up BF anytime of the week and get into a full game on ps4. All you haters speak for you self because I like the **** outta bf15 and ifs far from dead, makes me wonder if you guys really even played. And I'm seeing more and more new noobs weekly playing. As to the upcoming game, I think there gonna try to appeal to a very large group so I don't really know what to expect.

Noobs, you make it sound like they are randomly buying the game because they heard it was good... They are picking it up out of the bargin bins (where it should be) because of all the hype for BF 2 2017.
    If these new guys have any reason, it'll put them off buying the next one.
  • SWymsa
    823 posts Member

Also, FYI, my friend got bored with the casual gameplay within a couple days and has already stated that he probably won't play the game much more. He says there are other multiplayer games that are much more fun and that are more worth his time.

Everyone I know personally who bought this game did/said pretty much the same thing.

How TF did you get to level 97?! Could barely stomach this pish up to level 30 :smiley:
  • Making Battlefront II competitive would be a poor financial decision. True fact; there are more casual gamers than there are competitive gamers, especially in the Star Wars fandom. Most people don't care about skill rankings, or k/d ratios, or what have you... they just want to have fun.

And like one guy already said, Star Wars: Battlefront has always been casual, thus most of it's fans are casual players... thus, making the game too competitive would prove disastrous.

I'm not saying "competitive" is the best way to go. Look at Battlefield 1. It has a massive player base because the game has a perfect mix of hardcore and casual elements.
  • Shinjuku
    1758 posts Member
    Making Battlefront II competitive would be a poor financial decision. True fact; there are more casual gamers than there are competitive gamers, especially in the Star Wars fandom. Most people don't care about skill rankings, or k/d ratios, or what have you... they just want to have fun.

I'm not saying "competitive" is the best way to go. Look at Battlefield 1. It has a massive player base because the game has a perfect mix of hardcore and casual elements.

Truth, hopefully in Star Wars Battlefront 2 we'll move away from the overly horrid casual gameplay. Also I can't help but think Battlefield 4 is more hardcore than Battlefield 1 (off topic I know, sorry)
    MLtmeEi.png
    " If you're not with me, then you're my enemy."
  • rollind24 wrote: »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this is a casual if you were wondering^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • Shinjuku wrote: »
    Also I can't help but think Battlefield 4 is more hardcore than Battlefield 1 (off topic I know, sorry)

That's true, but Battlefront 2 couldn't be as hardcore as Battlefield 4. Battlefield 1 is casual enough for the mechanics to be the base of EA-front 2.
  • And like one guy already said, Star Wars: Battlefront has always been casual, thus most of it's fans are casual players... thus, making the game too competitive would prove disastrous.

All wings, we're coming up on casual players. Give em' everything we got!
  • Well, in my opinion, when a game simplifies your mechanics, like the EA/DICE Battlefront did in relation of the classics BF, that's showing the target public...

A deep gameplay with more mechanics to be aware, like necessity of ammo, be able to enter/out vehicles, no health regen, a map with various points of access to objectives, among other things, bring a sense of planning and strategic to each match...

Some news of BFII are encouraging, with the comeback of classes system and single player campaign, but the path to make EA's Battlefront a game which be enjoyable after years (like the Pandemic's version still are) it's way more difficult, if the casuals be the target...and it's not demeaning those people, but it's just obvious that kind of public don't follow games after the hype...
  • Making Battlefront II competitive would be a poor financial decision. True fact; there are more casual gamers than there are competitive gamers, especially in the Star Wars fandom. Most people don't care about skill rankings, or k/d ratios, or what have you... they just want to have fun.

Casual gamers won't spend the same amount of money or play as much. The last game floped for a reason.
  • bfloo
    14408 posts Member

Casual gamers won't spend the same amount of money or play as much. The last game floped for a reason.

Don't underestimate Star Wars fans when it comes to spending.

Find a rock that looks like Vader and there will be an ebay bidding war for it.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• ROMG4
    2421 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    bfloo wrote: »

Actually, finding a rock that looks like Darth Vader naturally would be pretty funny

I would pay like $3 for it at the most
    OOM-9 FOR BATTLEFRONT 2
    OOM-9 Hero Concept by AzelfandQuilava
    https://i.redd.it/uleh1g22xrhz.png

OOM-9 Canonical Material Check-List:

Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace
    William Shakespeare's The Phantom of Menace: Star Wars Part the First
    Ultimate Star Wars (Reference Guide)
    Star Wars: On the Front Lines (Reference Guide)
    Darth Maul: "Who is supervising the search for the Gungan cities?" Nute Gunray: "Commander OOM-Nine." Darth Maul: "A droid. The predecessor of your inept B-Ones." Rune Haako: "A superior droid, Lord Maul. Viceroy Gunray's personal guard."
    The OOM-9 Thread
    https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/76756/the-oom-9-thread-9-9-the-phantom-droid/p1
  • bfloo
    14408 posts Member
    ROMG4 wrote: »
    bfloo wrote: »

Actually, finding a rock that looks like Darth Vader naturally would be pretty funny

I would pay like $3 for it at the most

I'd pay 3.01 >:)
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• That moment you realize people are talking about rocks... Anyway, let's get back on topic.
  • Landeaux
    3467 posts Member
    Because the games that lean more hardcore or semi-challenging such as COD and Battlefield tend to keep their player base for a long time. Games that are at least three years old still hold large player bases; Battlefield 4 and Black Ops 2 being examples. Overwatch is sort of casual but we're dealing with two different animals. Battlefront is more like Battlefield than it is Overwatch. They tried the casual route with the last game, thinking that if they made a simple game then they can gain access to younger kids who aren't ready for a challenge. They may have also mistook some casual gamers. Some gamers may consider themselves casual because they hop on their pc or console every now and then to play a few rounds then get off. Just because they do so doesn't mean they don't expect a challenge. They knew they would get the mature and hardcore Star Wars fans nonetheless because it was a Star Wars game. They over-simplified the last game and it cost them greatly. Challenging games keep people interested and engaged and I'm glad that they're trying to turn the corner on that casual nightmare known as Battlefront 1
  • The problem with targeting casual gamers is that they won't stick around. They'll get bored and leave, as will the hardcore gamers because of the shallow gameplay.

Battlefront shouldn't be so in depth as to be impossible for newer players to get into, but it shouldn't be anywhere near like it was in the last game either.

As for the casual friendly argument, let's be honest, if you're a newcomer to Battlefront at this point it is extremely unfriendly to noobs. Getting mowed down by Bactazerkers, token campers and tons of OHK weapons isn't really casual friendly either at this point.

The current Battlefront fails on multiple levels, it alienates people who want more depth and it alienates new players who are getting completely destroyed.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Freakin' Plants vs Zombies GW2 destroys Battlefront. It has gameplay that is more accessible to noobs, a bigger skill ceiling to keep people playing, tons of different ways to play all balanced within an excellent class system and a player base that actually plays the objective on a regular basis. It's a great game, but a freakin' Plants vs Zombies game shouldn't be kicking the pants off of a modern Battlefront title.
    #JustSayNoToReyLo
  • Just compensate..Add a mode for casual players...kind of like overwatch. A competitive queue or something. SWBF in its entirety was always for casuals. Don't even try to use SWBF's death to justify competitive SWBF2. There was just too much wrong with SWBF lol.

I play on PS4 and am level 97(so I've played the game a fair bit). I was playing Sunday with a friend who bought the deluxe edition when it was on sale. There were points where we couldn't get a supremacy match. Additionally, getting DLC matches was terrible, there only ever seemed to be one half full game going on at a time in some of the playlists. This wasn't late Sunday evening or anything like that, it was about 2 o'clock in the afternoon.

Additionally, when I was trying to find Scariff matches about a month ago, it was nearly impossible to find matches during the day on weekdays, and not much better at night.

Battlefront may not be completely dead as some people are saying, but the player population for Battlefront is in the toilet, plain and simple. To deny that fact is simply to deny reality.

Also, FYI, my friend got bored with the casual gameplay within a couple days and has already stated that he probably won't play the game much more. He says there are other multiplayer games that are much more fun and that are more worth his time. That makes over a dozen friends of mine who bought Battlefront, and only one of those people still plays it, and only very occasionally at that.

EA Front simply wasn't good enough, and DICE needs to do much better with Battlefront II. Thankfully all signs point to them making needed changes.

I have no issues finding matches on PS4. Just PC where its a wasteland.

I do from time to time(especially in DLC playlists). It's not completely dead, but the player base is definitely dying and has been for a good long time. Even when I can find matches, I usually have to settle for the same one or two matches per game mode, not the near endless amount of matches that the game had going at launch.

The idea that Battlefront has a healthy population on consoles is a myth. It has a population, sure, but one that is already small and more and more of the inhabitants are moving away to greener pastures every day.
    #JustSayNoToReyLo
  • DarthBatman42
    547 posts Member
    edited June 2017

The idea that Battlefront has a healthy population on consoles is a myth. It has a population, sure, but one that is already small and more and more of the inhabitants are moving away to greener pastures every day.

+1, can't find DLC matches on Xbox anymore.
  • SWymsa
    823 posts Member

Yeah you can get a game on ps4, with the same hundred players or so that's left. :smiley:

Of course there will be a few others around on the hype wagon for BF 2017, who probably picked it up from the bargin bin.
  • Cad_Bane
    6252 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    I play on PS4 and haven't ever had problems finding a match, even on all the dlc playlists. Just once I had problems finding a drop zone match but it was like 3am but other than that I can always find a match
  • I can't even always find turning pint matches.
  • So, I guess this means PS4 is the best place to play now.
  • SandyAni
    762 posts Member
    On Xbox it takes a while lol
    RIP Sig Gifs, It would be nice to have coruscant, and big offline content modes, and these heroes at launch:
    Prequel era : yoda, obi wan, Anakin, padme, maul, jango, dooku, grievous,
    Original era: Luke, leia, Han, chewy, Vader, palps, boba, bossk
    New era: Rey, kylo
  • SWymsa
    823 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    So, I guess this means PS4 is the best place to play now.

Barely and if you don't mind playing with/against the same guys over and over.
    Player base is tiny.