criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
August Community Calendar

Why Battlefront 2 shouldn't be casual from a financial point of view.

2

Replies

  • Cad_Bane
    6252 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    SWymsa wrote: »
    So, I guess this means PS4 is the best place to play now.

    Barely and if you don't mind playing with/against the same guys over and over.
    Player base is tiny.

    How? I play regularly and hardly notice I'm playing with the same people. Even if I leave a lobby because of the map I get put in a new lobby with new players. The player base seems fine to me on PS4.
  • SWymsa
    823 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    How?
    Because thats what i see whenever i've been on, and why would people complain about low player numbers if it wasn't a thing?
    Maybe you're just not that observant?
  • Cad_Bane wrote: »
    SWymsa wrote: »
    So, I guess this means PS4 is the best place to play now.

    Barely and if you don't mind playing with/against the same guys over and over.
    Player base is tiny.

    How? I play regularly and hardly notice I'm playing with the same people. Even if I leave a lobby because of the map I get put in a new lobby with new players. The player base seems fine to me on PS4.

    You must be playing in some kind of twilight zone. I oftentimes see the same people in every other match. Saturday afternoon for a couple hours is the only time the player base seems somewhat healthy, and even then I often run into half full DLC matches and trouble finding anything but one DLC match going at a time. Seriously, I can't tell you how many times I try to play the Cloud City playlist, only to find a single match of FS that it tries to put me into over and over again. It's even worse if you are trying to search for a specific mode in each DLC playlist.

    Heck, even in large modes like Supremacy, where I can usually at least find one match(although I even ran into problems with that last Sunday), if I try and search for a match on a specific map, half the time I can't find one. Seriously, if this game had a healthy population, I should be able to find a match in any mode on any match at any given time. There aren't even that many maps to cycle through. Instead, I am almost always forced to start playing on the Survivors of Endor map, which is my least favorite due to balance issues if I want to play at all.

    Bottom line, Battlefront is just barely holding on to enough of a population to keep going. Once Battlefront II comes out it will die entirely, it definitely won't keep going the way Battlefield 4 has. Even more reason that it's sad that they never supported the offline side of things. There will no doubt be maps that people worked hard on that will never see the light of day again.

    Battlefront was a sales success, but it failed with the gaming public overall.
    #JustSayNoToReyLo
  • Cad_Bane
    6252 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Maybe it's your matchmaking region? I just know I don't have problems finding games and I even sometimes search for specific maps in game modes and it usually finds a lobby for that map. Even all the dlc playlists seems fine to me.
  • SWymsa
    823 posts Member
    Will straight up say, you're not being honest.
  • Kissfan07 wrote: »
    SWymsa wrote: »
    rollind24 wrote: »
    I got my Xbox1 for BF2015. Got a few other shooter games since then and none of them have held my interest as much as BF2015 did. My hope is that the next one isn't completely revamped.

    If it ends up anything like 2015 game you can bet it'll die faster than a kid with leukimia.

    You enjoyed spending your money on a game that crashed and burned?

    I have a hard time understanding how a game, I can successfully play two years later, crashed and burned. It has become repetitive, like most things that are two years old, but it's still fun to play. Also, does the video game community think ninety bucks is a ton of money? What can you spend less than a hundred dollars on and use/play every day?

    Witcher 3 lol. Fighting games too in many ways have had some great methods of keeping the player base together while having DLC optional.
    Making Battlefront II competitive would be a poor financial decision. True fact; there are more casual gamers than there are competitive gamers, especially in the Star Wars fandom. Most people don't care about skill rankings, or k/d ratios, or what have you... they just want to have fun.

    And like one guy already said, Star Wars: Battlefront has always been casual, thus most of it's fans are casual players... thus, making the game too competitive would prove disastrous.

    Thats pretty much the truth of the matter. No point in kicking aside the SW fanbase thats gonna rake in most of your sales for a smaller group of gamers.

    Sorry but we have games like Halo 5 that give us the more refined MP experience with a Sci Fi skin. If you want a comeptitive Star Wars shooter, well, your gonna be waiting a loooonnnnnggggg time. At the very least until EAs contract with Disney expires
  • Cad_Bane
    6252 posts Member
    SWymsa wrote: »
    Will straight up say, you're not being honest.
    Cause lying about that benefits me how? I don't have problems finding games on PS4. What's your matchmaking region?
  • Shinjuku
    1760 posts Member
    SWymsa wrote: »
    So, I guess this means PS4 is the best place to play now.

    Barely and if you don't mind playing with/against the same guys over and over.
    Player base is tiny.

    It's true, there was a few times where I used to keep on running into the same old players each time and at times I wouldn't even be able to find games.
    MLtmeEi.png
    " If you're not with me, then you're my enemy."
  • SWymsa
    823 posts Member
    Cad_Bane wrote: »
    SWymsa wrote: »
    Will straight up say, you're not being honest.
    Cause lying about that benefits me how? I don't have problems finding games on PS4. What's your matchmaking region?

    Because you're a fanboy? I dunno it doesn't fit with what i see in game.

    That's none of your business.
  • Cad_Bane
    6252 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    well depending on what your match making region is, could be why you have problems finding games. I'm just simply stating there isn't problems trying to find a game. And not sure why you say that stating your match making region is none of people's business, you would just be stating if your match making are European servers or west coast US or East coast US. Your matchmaking region greatly would greatly depend on how easy it is to find games since some servers are more populated than others
  • Cad_Bane wrote: »
    well depending on what your match making region is, could be why you have problems finding games. I'm just simply stating there isn't problems trying to find a game. And not sure why you say that stating your match making region is none of people's business, you would just be stating if your match making are European servers or west coast US or East coast US. Your matchmaking region greatly would greatly depend on how easy it is to find games since some servers are more populated than others

    My matchmaking region is West Coast US. There is something wrong with the game population if I have trouble finding games when they are drawing from the entire West Coast region.
    #JustSayNoToReyLo
  • SWymsa
    823 posts Member
    Cad_Bane wrote: »
    well depending on what your match making region is, could be why you have problems finding games. I'm just simply stating there isn't problems trying to find a game. And not sure why you say that stating your match making region is none of people's business, you would just be stating if your match making are European servers or west coast US or East coast US. Your matchmaking region greatly would greatly depend on how easy it is to find games since some servers are more populated than others

    Don't worry about it, i've got no interest in putting any time into this game.

    It was failed experiment even it's creators have held their hands up to.


  • SWymsa wrote: »
    It was failed experiment even it's creators have held their hands up to.


    This bickering is pointless™, although a casual Star Wars fps sounded nice, in the end it was just so outrageously casual they alienated everyone but very new gamers.
  • ROMG4
    2721 posts Member
    SWymsa wrote: »
    It was failed experiment even it's creators have held their hands up to.


    This bickering is pointless™, although a casual Star Wars fps sounded nice, in the end it was just so outrageously casual they alienated everyone but very new gamers.

    Indeed, ultimately the idea of a Casual Star Wars FPS can still work but the way they did it was wrong

    They included all the terrible things that come from a Casual Mind-Set. the inclusion of even just one Instant HP or One Shot Star Card is bad but they went further and made the whole system around this as more than Half of the Star Card system was based around these ideas and the other bits were used only once and a while by people who were bored

    And rather quite ironically by balancing the Game around this Casual Mind-Set they created one of the least Casual Friendly Games ever as Casuals are just that, Casual. Casuals generally take far longer to learn a Game then most by their very name and nature, so right now if a Casual were to start the Game up they would be hit with a spam of Instant Kill, Acrobatics and people instantly healing from all damage

    Without a Class System to ease people into the Game by allowing them to learn different Gameplay Styles and rules and being able to easily follow and watch people they were unable to get better

    If there is one thing to be gained from BattleFront (EA) is that it was and still is a very good lesson that every Game Developer and Company and even Gamers should Examine and Review
    OOM-9 FOR BATTLEFRONT 2
    OOM-9 Hero Concept by AzelfandQuilava
    https://i.redd.it/uleh1g22xrhz.png

    OOM-9 Canonical Material Check-List:

    Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace
    William Shakespeare's The Phantom of Menace: Star Wars Part the First
    Ultimate Star Wars (Reference Guide)
    Star Wars: On the Front Lines (Reference Guide)
    Darth Maul: "Who is supervising the search for the Gungan cities?" Nute Gunray: "Commander OOM-Nine." Darth Maul: "A droid. The predecessor of your inept B-Ones." Rune Haako: "A superior droid, Lord Maul. Viceroy Gunray's personal guard."
    The OOM-9 Thread
    https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/76756/the-oom-9-thread-9-9-the-phantom-droid/p1
  • rollind24
    5664 posts Member
    is it even possible people left quickly because there wasn't much to do like offline content/story and a very limited amount of mp maps etc at launch?

    I understand "hardcore gamers" threw up there hands because their blaster didn't have enough recoil but I have a hard time believing that turned away casuals.
    #infantrylivesmatter
  • rollind24 wrote: »
    is it even possible people left quickly because there wasn't much to do like offline content/story and a very limited amount of mp maps etc at launch?

    I understand "hardcore gamers" threw up there hands because their blaster didn't have enough recoil but I have a hard time believing that turned away casuals.

    The game literally has no meaning. If I jump into Rainbow Six, it takes a few rounds to get into the slow, thought out tactics of the game. Or, in Battlefield 1, where I'm forced to think tactically about where to move in the epic maps and modes. Then, look at battlefront. I can jump right into it and not think tactically or strategically, because I have a radar telling me where the enemies are and the map is so linear there is no thought involved in where to go next. There has to be more to a game than aiming and shooting, and that's all Battlefront was.
  • Crabman wrote: »
    Every battlefront has been casual, they will continue being casual

    It's a *ing video game people

    30 dark side points earned
    "You Don't Know the Power of the Dark Side"
    vader.gif
  • Cad_Bane wrote: »
    SWymsa wrote: »
    Will straight up say, you're not being honest.
    Cause lying about that benefits me how? I don't have problems finding games on PS4. What's your matchmaking region?

    I'm PS4 West Coast and the only mode that I don't instantly find full matches on is Turning Point.
  • Do half you people have a freaking clue, do you not realize what market most of the sales of this game will come from. I can assure is not the gamer slang "HardCore", players, it's teens and kids for the most part.
  • Alex64
    7408 posts Member
    you can't make this a hardcore game bc it's intended for kids also.
    The kind mixed with the wicked, the will to fight until the end, I'm not your enemy or friend.
  • Strogg1980
    2559 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Do half you people have a freaking clue, do you not realize what market most of the sales of this game will come from. I can assure is not the gamer slang "HardCore", players, it's teens and kids for the most part.

    Dont kid your self, many adults will be buying this game,far more then kids, maybe around the same level as teens, a little less tho possibly. Most people commenting to dennis or Battlefronts or star wars main pages on twitter or FB from the posts I have seen, seem vastly more in the 18+ field than the below 18 group. Level of fun and "casualness" of a game dont mean squat about the age group, me myself being in my upper 20s
  • Ahsoka_Tano
    7341 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Do half you people have a freaking clue, do you not realize what market most of the sales of this game will come from. I can assure is not the gamer slang "HardCore", players, it's teens and kids for the most part.

    Kids and non-hardcore gamers would like a non-casual game more. It's important for EA to hold the player base for a longer period of time in order to earn money due to the missing season pass. Casual and the current crate system don't fit together.
    For General Ahsoka Tano!
    h3d5nuo8y0jq.png

  • bfloo
    15522 posts Member
    Do half you people have a freaking clue, do you not realize what market most of the sales of this game will come from. I can assure is not the gamer slang "HardCore", players, it's teens and kids for the most part.

    Kids and non-hardcore gamers would like a non-casual game more. It's important for EA to hold the player base for a longer period of time in order to earn money due to the missing season pass. Casual and the current crate system don't fit together.

    If it ends up like cell phone apps, the casual gamers are actually more likely to spend than grind it out.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

    Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

    h846398gb27k.png


  • DarthBatman42
    547 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    I laugh when people tell me a casual fps is more profitable than a hardcore one. Look at Battlefield 1. It's player base roasts Battlefront.
  • I laugh when people tell me a casual fps is more profitable than a hardcore one. Look at Battlefield 1. It's player base roasts Battlefront.

    "me a casual fps is more profitable" Prove it ? We are dealing with a star wars product with lots of purchasing power casual player Adults. BFII will not be focused on hardcore - get over it finally and go play Battlefield 1
  • I laugh when people tell me a casual fps is more profitable than a hardcore one. Look at Battlefield 1. It's player base roasts Battlefront.

    Battlefield isn't hardcore by any means, it's even the most casual from the Battlefield series...
  • bfloo
    15522 posts Member
    I laugh when people tell me a casual fps is more profitable than a hardcore one. Look at Battlefield 1. It's player base roasts Battlefront.

    It has a bigger playerbase, but how many are shelling out cash for loot crates?
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

    Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

    h846398gb27k.png


  • Alex64
    7408 posts Member
    I laugh when people say that battlefield players are hardcore
    The kind mixed with the wicked, the will to fight until the end, I'm not your enemy or friend.
  • rollind24
    5664 posts Member
    I laugh when people tell me a casual fps is more profitable than a hardcore one. Look at Battlefield 1. It's player base roasts Battlefront.

    "me a casual fps is more profitable" Prove it ? We are dealing with a star wars product with lots of purchasing power casual player Adults. BFII will not be focused on hardcore - get over it finally and go play Battlefield 1

    Boom!
    #infantrylivesmatter
  • Alex64
    7408 posts Member
    Pokemon is more profitable, it's Casual and intended for kids.
    The kind mixed with the wicked, the will to fight until the end, I'm not your enemy or friend.
  • I do want a more hardcore feel for the next game. I feel like someone who just started playing could get very good very quick. (Myself included). Off topic, I just played a couple rounds against BucksawBoushh on PS4 without being in a party or anything with him.
    PSN - themancharlie25
    Phase II is the best! #CommanderFoxDidTheRightThing
    This sector is clear. NOT CLEAR. NOT CLEAR.

  • Alex64 wrote: »
    Pokemon is more profitable, it's Casual and intended for kids.

    I'm glad you mention that series. It's casual, but deep at the same time. That's what we need for the next Battlefront, not the shallow crappy gameplay of the last one. A game doesn't have to be shallow to be casual.
    #JustSayNoToReyLo
  • Why don't they take the designs from Disney Infinity 3.0 Star Wars and make a casual shooter?

    As sad as it sounds, I'd buy it too!
    Haha!
  • Why don't they take the designs from Disney Infinity 3.0 Star Wars and make a casual shooter?

    As sad as it sounds, I'd buy it too!
    Haha!

    That could actually work as Disney's attempt at a E10+ shooter.
  • DarthJ
    6539 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    It would surely be easy enough to have a customisable set of matches/servers for hardcore elements (200% damage etc) and rented servers to satisfy the want for more competitive and challenging elements, and then the usual match modes with regular gameplay for casuals? Similar to what Battlefield does?

    I don't get why casuals would argue against this as they can choose not to play these elements, rather than keeping a whole game casual for players who will most likely disappear in a month? If it happened, you could also cut out the complaining and nerf calls as all would play what they want and it would essentially keep skill levels apart.

    Even if it was some sort of competition or hardcore element every so often.
    PSN: ibrajoker59
  • im casual. i didnt buy a console. there are so many assumptions and we all know what assumptions make.

    so many people probably bought a console and maybe some of them just might possibly have gotten into more hardcore (whatever that means) games. therefore lets skew this game towards a small subsection (statistically) of the games market and try to come up with a WAG (wild [probably censored by forum] guess) reason why that will make more money than selling to people who will go out and buy a console to play because 2 years ago they were not old enough to earn money, plus all the casuals who enjoyed the first game if they like being stuck with classes and fixed weapons, plus the hardcore fpser. because more people x same money per copy wont make as much as a small elitist subsection of the demog of the last game. because maybe the hardcore gamer l33ts have found a magic money tree to make up the difference and will give it to EA.


    the same hardcore fps crew who just wants a battlefield reskin but claims they dont, then asks for EVERYTHING thats in battlefield but not in battlefront to be added to the next battlefront, and take away all the unique stuff that is in battlefront thats better for the casual player thus meaning battlefront 2 may very well turn off casuals by word of mouth. sorry i cant think of any more assumptions. so i will leave you with the above paragraph that catering to a small subsect of a market is never as profitable as appealing to a wider cross section of an entire market. and thats what EA cares about, money.
    invalid brain token
  • catering to a small subsect of a market is never as profitable as appealing to a wider cross section of an entire market. and thats what EA cares about, money.

    Indeed, however the last game's shallowness hurt it in the long run. If they want to keep a healthy player base that will stick around for the long haul and preferably purchase things via micro transactions, they need to do better.

    Additionally, I think people are confusing casual with shallow. I would call the first two Battlefront games from Pandemic casual, most anyone could jump in and play. I would not call them shallow though as there was enough meat to them to keep them enjoyable for the long term.

    Additionally, I would actually say that class based shooters are more casual friendly than what we got in the last Battlefront. Having classes and roles to play allows players to fill a niche and work within a team. Different people are better at different things, and giving them a number of different ways to play allows more people to enjoy the game.

    Also, let's be honest, if a casual player went and bought Battlefront right now and jumped into multiplayer, they would get slaughtered. Bactazerkers, scatter guns, etc. aren't friendly to the casual folks. I wouldn't truly call the current Battlefront game casual, it's not so much casual as it is shallow as a kiddie pool.
    #JustSayNoToReyLo
  • Making Battlefront II competitive would be a poor financial decision. True fact; there are more casual gamers than there are competitive gamers, especially in the Star Wars fandom. Most people don't care about skill rankings, or k/d ratios, or what have you... they just want to have fun.

    And like one guy already said, Star Wars: Battlefront has always been casual, thus most of it's fans are casual players... thus, making the game too competitive would prove disastrous.

    the original battlefront games weren't casual at all, especially BF2. while there may be more casual players than hardcore ones, making a game too casual ultimately results in it becoming too easy and even boring to those casual gamers. all of these casual gamers are not going to pay for loot boxes and stuff very long after release if the game becomes like the last one. theres no point in paying extra money for something you're not going to play, and that is going to snatch a whole load of cash from EA in the end, and we may never get another battlefront, especially one that we have been dreaming about for years because EA will decide it wont make enough money. the balance is what is necessary for this game, just like Rey said in the last jedi trailer. the game needs to be playable by casual gamers without them finding it too hard and giving up, and it needs to be just challenging enough for skilled and competitive players to find fun, and not boring and repetitive. this way it appeals to all audiences and means even more cash for EA. focusing just on casual gamers-especially for an online game-means that even if you get that financial spike at release, the money will just go down from there as you lose online players and nobody buys the loot boxes because there isn't anyone to play against, ultimately resulting in a failed game because of how expensive AAA games are to create, EA may even LOSE money, which is horrible. that's why season pass has always been in games like this, because developers and companies like EA need this money to make up for the budget of creating the game, which can be more expensive than 60 million dollars nowadays. lets say this game costs upwards of 60 million to make, 6 million sold copies might make up for the budget to create the game, but no profit will be made. plus, maybe a maximum of 2 or 4 million people will either pre-oder or buy the game at launch, while the other millions will be waiting for reviews and stuff before purchasing, I say this because of how much a disappointment the last game was, most likely a lot of people will be wary and double check before using their precious money, and if the game ends up being as boring as the last for many people, the people who might have bought it will not, and then EA will lose millions of dollars for launch, and most likely the playerbase will be so small that they will never catch up with the immense budget with microtransactions. lets look at it on the other side of the spectrum. say the game turns out to be really competitive and super hard for casual gamers. I would think that most of the old BF players will end up buying the game because they became skilled from the last one and are searching for a more competitive experience. the competitive player base has already expanded massively since the last game, and this means more players buying the game after reviews and stuff, even if a lot of casual gamers don't. in the end, the financial spike at launch wont be as big as EA might like, but then the competitive playerbase will constantly be buying loot crates to get an edge on their opponents, and revenue from microtransactions will soar, surpassing the budget even if the game only sold 5 million copies or less in total. While none of these outcomes are good, the second is still better for EA financially in the end. all that aside, a game that is in between, with just the right amount of accessibility and competitiveness, will result in far more copies sold total and a whole lot of profit form microtransactions across the game's lifetime until the day its online modes are no longer supported or die out. This is why there cannot be a copy of the last game, and why it needs to be revamped. if it turns out being as casual as the last game, which I doubt it will anyway but if that happened, it would mean a terrible financial downfall for EA, and no more battlefront games probably ever, which would be the real disappointment to the millions of fans of this franchise and of the star wars franchise in general.
  • SandyAni
    762 posts Member
    Making Battlefront II competitive would be a poor financial decision. True fact; there are more casual gamers than there are competitive gamers, especially in the Star Wars fandom. Most people don't care about skill rankings, or k/d ratios, or what have you... they just want to have fun.

    And like one guy already said, Star Wars: Battlefront has always been casual, thus most of it's fans are casual players... thus, making the game too competitive would prove disastrous.

    the original battlefront games weren't casual at all, especially BF2. while there may be more casual players than hardcore ones, making a game too casual ultimately results in it becoming too easy and even boring to those casual gamers. all of these casual gamers are not going to pay for loot boxes and stuff very long after release if the game becomes like the last one. theres no point in paying extra money for something you're not going to play, and that is going to snatch a whole load of cash from EA in the end, and we may never get another battlefront, especially one that we have been dreaming about for years because EA will decide it wont make enough money. the balance is what is necessary for this game, just like Rey said in the last jedi trailer. the game needs to be playable by casual gamers without them finding it too hard and giving up, and it needs to be just challenging enough for skilled and competitive players to find fun, and not boring and repetitive. this way it appeals to all audiences and means even more cash for EA. focusing just on casual gamers-especially for an online game-means that even if you get that financial spike at release, the money will just go down from there as you lose online players and nobody buys the loot boxes because there isn't anyone to play against, ultimately resulting in a failed game because of how expensive AAA games are to create, EA may even LOSE money, which is horrible. that's why season pass has always been in games like this, because developers and companies like EA need this money to make up for the budget of creating the game, which can be more expensive than 60 million dollars nowadays. lets say this game costs upwards of 60 million to make, 6 million sold copies might make up for the budget to create the game, but no profit will be made. plus, maybe a maximum of 2 or 4 million people will either pre-oder or buy the game at launch, while the other millions will be waiting for reviews and stuff before purchasing, I say this because of how much a disappointment the last game was, most likely a lot of people will be wary and double check before using their precious money, and if the game ends up being as boring as the last for many people, the people who might have bought it will not, and then EA will lose millions of dollars for launch, and most likely the playerbase will be so small that they will never catch up with the immense budget with microtransactions. lets look at it on the other side of the spectrum. say the game turns out to be really competitive and super hard for casual gamers. I would think that most of the old BF players will end up buying the game because they became skilled from the last one and are searching for a more competitive experience. the competitive player base has already expanded massively since the last game, and this means more players buying the game after reviews and stuff, even if a lot of casual gamers don't. in the end, the financial spike at launch wont be as big as EA might like, but then the competitive playerbase will constantly be buying loot crates to get an edge on their opponents, and revenue from microtransactions will soar, surpassing the budget even if the game only sold 5 million copies or less in total. While none of these outcomes are good, the second is still better for EA financially in the end. all that aside, a game that is in between, with just the right amount of accessibility and competitiveness, will result in far more copies sold total and a whole lot of profit form microtransactions across the game's lifetime until the day its online modes are no longer supported or die out. This is why there cannot be a copy of the last game, and why it needs to be revamped. if it turns out being as casual as the last game, which I doubt it will anyway but if that happened, it would mean a terrible financial downfall for EA, and no more battlefront games probably ever, which would be the real disappointment to the millions of fans of this franchise and of the star wars franchise in general.

    Lol you should be a journalist
    RIP Sig Gifs, It would be nice to have coruscant, and big offline content modes, and these heroes at launch:
    Prequel era : yoda, obi wan, Anakin, padme, maul, jango, dooku, grievous,
    Original era: Luke, leia, Han, chewy, Vader, palps, boba, bossk
    New era: Rey, kylo
  • @SandyAni thanks I try really hard with these posts but I might have gotten many of those numbers wrong, its just my guess based on my own knowledge
  • Making Battlefront II competitive would be a poor financial decision. True fact; there are more casual gamers than there are competitive gamers, especially in the Star Wars fandom. Most people don't care about skill rankings, or k/d ratios, or what have you... they just want to have fun.

    And like one guy already said, Star Wars: Battlefront has always been casual, thus most of it's fans are casual players... thus, making the game too competitive would prove disastrous.

    the original battlefront games weren't casual at all, especially BF2. while there may be more casual players than hardcore ones, making a game too casual ultimately results in it becoming too easy and even boring to those casual gamers. all of these casual gamers are not going to pay for loot boxes and stuff very long after release if the game becomes like the last one. theres no point in paying extra money for something you're not going to play, and that is going to snatch a whole load of cash from EA in the end, and we may never get another battlefront, especially one that we have been dreaming about for years because EA will decide it wont make enough money. the balance is what is necessary for this game, just like Rey said in the last jedi trailer. the game needs to be playable by casual gamers without them finding it too hard and giving up, and it needs to be just challenging enough for skilled and competitive players to find fun, and not boring and repetitive. this way it appeals to all audiences and means even more cash for EA. focusing just on casual gamers-especially for an online game-means that even if you get that financial spike at release, the money will just go down from there as you lose online players and nobody buys the loot boxes because there isn't anyone to play against, ultimately resulting in a failed game because of how expensive AAA games are to create, EA may even LOSE money, which is horrible. that's why season pass has always been in games like this, because developers and companies like EA need this money to make up for the budget of creating the game, which can be more expensive than 60 million dollars nowadays. lets say this game costs upwards of 60 million to make, 6 million sold copies might make up for the budget to create the game, but no profit will be made. plus, maybe a maximum of 2 or 4 million people will either pre-oder or buy the game at launch, while the other millions will be waiting for reviews and stuff before purchasing, I say this because of how much a disappointment the last game was, most likely a lot of people will be wary and double check before using their precious money, and if the game ends up being as boring as the last for many people, the people who might have bought it will not, and then EA will lose millions of dollars for launch, and most likely the playerbase will be so small that they will never catch up with the immense budget with microtransactions. lets look at it on the other side of the spectrum. say the game turns out to be really competitive and super hard for casual gamers. I would think that most of the old BF players will end up buying the game because they became skilled from the last one and are searching for a more competitive experience. the competitive player base has already expanded massively since the last game, and this means more players buying the game after reviews and stuff, even if a lot of casual gamers don't. in the end, the financial spike at launch wont be as big as EA might like, but then the competitive playerbase will constantly be buying loot crates to get an edge on their opponents, and revenue from microtransactions will soar, surpassing the budget even if the game only sold 5 million copies or less in total. While none of these outcomes are good, the second is still better for EA financially in the end. all that aside, a game that is in between, with just the right amount of accessibility and competitiveness, will result in far more copies sold total and a whole lot of profit form microtransactions across the game's lifetime until the day its online modes are no longer supported or die out. This is why there cannot be a copy of the last game, and why it needs to be revamped. if it turns out being as casual as the last game, which I doubt it will anyway but if that happened, it would mean a terrible financial downfall for EA, and no more battlefront games probably ever, which would be the real disappointment to the millions of fans of this franchise and of the star wars franchise in general.

    Excellent post. Please try and break your posts up with paragraph breaks in the future though. It's hard to read giant walls of text.

    I will say this about the old Battlefront games though, they were very casual friendly, much more so than the current Battlefront IMO. Casual isn't always a dirty word, but shallowness is, and that's what the current Battlefront is, shallow.
    #JustSayNoToReyLo
  • I just want more depth, in the physics, gunplay, movement etc. Every time when you play a game you should learn something new.
  • All this about gunplay and a more hardcore not casual game is a very small percentage I think. I've been on the forums a long time and most of this was never a complaint, the main problems I saw daily were,
    1. Lack of content(also no offline content/compaign, not enough.) this by far.
    2. Splitting player base and forced playlist.
    3. Season pass
    4. Bugs and glitches not being fixed.
    5. No space battles.
    6. Not enough content/maps.

    Hardly ever did I hear problems about this game not being hardcore enough, and I assure you battlefield is not hardcore. I have 4 friends that compete, for money, in cod blkops 3 esports, that to this day can't get as good at this game as they would like. The people I find that complains the most are the ones that struggle with the last game. And please don't bring up teamwork, medic, take out kd it doesn't matter. Problem is everyone wants to be quarterback regardless of what they say, meaning a slayer, have a ridicules kd. If players knew their role, aka skill level, things would be a lot better imo.
  • bfloo
    15522 posts Member
    All this about gunplay and a more hardcore not casual game is a very small percentage I think. I've been on the forums a long time and most of this was never a complaint, the main problems I saw daily were,
    1. Lack of content(also no offline content/compaign, not enough.) this by far.
    2. Splitting player base and forced playlist.
    3. Season pass
    4. Bugs and glitches not being fixed.
    5. No space battles.
    6. Not enough content/maps.

    Hardly ever did I hear problems about this game not being hardcore enough, and I assure you battlefield is not hardcore. I have 4 friends that compete, for money, in cod blkops 3 esports, that to this day can't get as good at this game as they would like. The people I find that complains the most are the ones that struggle with the last game. And please don't bring up teamwork, medic, take out kd it doesn't matter. Problem is everyone wants to be quarterback regardless of what they say, meaning a slayer, have a ridicules kd. If players knew their role, aka skill level, things would be a lot better imo.

    Biggest problem was there were too many ohk star cards.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

    Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

    h846398gb27k.png


  • All this about gunplay and a more hardcore not casual game is a very small percentage I think. I've been on the forums a long time and most of this was never a complaint, the main problems I saw daily were,
    1. Lack of content(also no offline content/compaign, not enough.) this by far.
    2. Splitting player base and forced playlist.
    3. Season pass
    4. Bugs and glitches not being fixed.
    5. No space battles.
    6. Not enough content/maps.

    Hardly ever did I hear problems about this game not being hardcore enough, and I assure you battlefield is not hardcore. I have 4 friends that compete, for money, in cod blkops 3 esports, that to this day can't get as good at this game as they would like. The people I find that complains the most are the ones that struggle with the last game. And please don't bring up teamwork, medic, take out kd it doesn't matter. Problem is everyone wants to be quarterback regardless of what they say, meaning a slayer, have a ridicules kd. If players knew their role, aka skill level, things would be a lot better imo.

    You never read something about the lack of depth? Because that was a huge let down for many players in Battlefront EA...

    More depth means a more skilled base game with a longer lasting player base.
  • rollind24
    5664 posts Member
    All this about gunplay and a more hardcore not casual game is a very small percentage I think. I've been on the forums a long time and most of this was never a complaint, the main problems I saw daily were,
    1. Lack of content(also no offline content/compaign, not enough.) this by far.
    2. Splitting player base and forced playlist.
    3. Season pass
    4. Bugs and glitches not being fixed.
    5. No space battles.
    6. Not enough content/maps.

    Hardly ever did I hear problems about this game not being hardcore enough, and I assure you battlefield is not hardcore. I have 4 friends that compete, for money, in cod blkops 3 esports, that to this day can't get as good at this game as they would like. The people I find that complains the most are the ones that struggle with the last game. And please don't bring up teamwork, medic, take out kd it doesn't matter. Problem is everyone wants to be quarterback regardless of what they say, meaning a slayer, have a ridicules kd. If players knew their role, aka skill level, things would be a lot better imo.

    The not enough content is something I think is big. Gunplay/recoil etc I'm sure ground some players the wrong way but I am willing to put my money on the majority getting bored playing the same maps/modes day in and day out. 4 maps or something for WA on release and it feels like you've played the whole game in 2 hours.

    I have a hard time believing Star Wars fans bought the game and said "I'm not playing this anymore, my blaster doesn't have enough recoil!!!!"
    #infantrylivesmatter
  • ...I'm just waiting for depth to become the hated cash cow...nothing like classes ,loot and progression as a selling shop
  • rollind24 wrote: »
    All this about gunplay and a more hardcore not casual game is a very small percentage I think. I've been on the forums a long time and most of this was never a complaint, the main problems I saw daily were,
    1. Lack of content(also no offline content/compaign, not enough.) this by far.
    2. Splitting player base and forced playlist.
    3. Season pass
    4. Bugs and glitches not being fixed.
    5. No space battles.
    6. Not enough content/maps.

    Hardly ever did I hear problems about this game not being hardcore enough, and I assure you battlefield is not hardcore. I have 4 friends that compete, for money, in cod blkops 3 esports, that to this day can't get as good at this game as they would like. The people I find that complains the most are the ones that struggle with the last game. And please don't bring up teamwork, medic, take out kd it doesn't matter. Problem is everyone wants to be quarterback regardless of what they say, meaning a slayer, have a ridicules kd. If players knew their role, aka skill level, things would be a lot better imo.

    The not enough content is something I think is big. Gunplay/recoil etc I'm sure ground some players the wrong way but I am willing to put my money on the majority getting bored playing the same maps/modes day in and day out. 4 maps or something for WA on release and it feels like you've played the whole game in 2 hours.

    I have a hard time believing Star Wars fans bought the game and said "I'm not playing this anymore, my blaster doesn't have enough recoil!!!!"

    Agreed, there should have been more content, it's also a shame those great maps of outerrim, bespin, and DS will soon be gone and not available as skirmish maps. I also agree the gunplay is a little Arcade/cod like which benefits young players, it relies more on seeing the map and fast reaction time as opposed to more serious games, but I've learned to live with it and at this point I'm fine with its fast pace. I'm just hoping we don't get a hybrid half 1st person, half 3rd person and neither are good.
  • ...I'm just waiting for depth to become the hated cash cow...nothing like classes ,loot and progression as a selling shop

    This 1000%, I hope it doesn't go to the pay to play but fear it may. All the complaints about the game and season pass but now we could have something much worse. I think many of the complaints were from people that have never played online or an online shooter before. I don't see people griping(to bad anyway), about cods 50 seasonpass, or look at overwatch, great game but barely any content of maps. Battlefield, halo, cod, titanfall, gears, they all have $30-$50 season passes and no one complains like they did with this game. Again I think it's partly due to the new online playerbase whereas cod players expect it. I surely hope your wrong on the pay to play cellular philosophy though, at this point we may be headed into Fifa Territory. Keeping fingers crossed.
  • bfloo
    15522 posts Member
    ...I'm just waiting for depth to become the hated cash cow...nothing like classes ,loot and progression as a selling shop

    This 1000%, I hope it doesn't go to the pay to play but fear it may. All the complaints about the game and season pass but now we could have something much worse. I think many of the complaints were from people that have never played online or an online shooter before. I don't see people griping(to bad anyway), about cods 50 seasonpass, or look at overwatch, great game but barely any content of maps. Battlefield, halo, cod, titanfall, gears, they all have $30-$50 season passes and no one complains like they did with this game. Again I think it's partly due to the new online playerbase whereas cod players expect it. I surely hope your wrong on the pay to play cellular philosophy though, at this point we may be headed into Fifa Territory. Keeping fingers crossed.

    Fifa wasn't as bad, it only mattered in 1 mode.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

    Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

    h846398gb27k.png


Sign In or Register to comment.