criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

To devs: Running out of disk space? Put the game on 2 disks;)

TheStalker88
6084 posts Member
edited July 2017
Just saying.

Replies

• I remember that's what Battlefield 3 did.
    A thousand generations live in you now, but this is your fight.
    mbetxwnmm1qiioixt6xy.gif
  • Put sp content one one disk and mp on another.
  • Thats a good idea
  • Evazan127
    8105 posts Member
    Don't you just download everything anyway? Even when I have a disc I still have to wait hours for download.
  • What is the problem with downloading it?
    For General Ahsoka Tano!
    h3d5nuo8y0jq.png

• TheStalker88
    6084 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    There's no problem but devs still want disk space for installation reasons. Not everyone has a 50mb internet connection. Plus installation is still faster from a disk in general
  • Piscettios
    5814 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    I'm pretty sure they were just conveying the size of the game in it's (then)current state... If I remember correctly, BF1 was under 20gb at launch, so this is a positive.
    It's makes more sense to have a section of MP maps downloadable when first connecting online. This is not really an issue for them.
    Knights of Gareth
    XBL- JsOnMyFett 13
  • ROMG4
    2517 posts Member
    What is the problem with downloading it?

Many people don't have a good internet connection

A day I can actually go over or just hover at 300KB is a very good day
    OOM-9 FOR BATTLEFRONT 2
    OOM-9 Hero Concept by AzelfandQuilava
    https://i.redd.it/uleh1g22xrhz.png

OOM-9 Canonical Material Check-List:

Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace
    William Shakespeare's The Phantom of Menace: Star Wars Part the First
    Ultimate Star Wars (Reference Guide)
    Star Wars: On the Front Lines (Reference Guide)
    Darth Maul: "Who is supervising the search for the Gungan cities?" Nute Gunray: "Commander OOM-Nine." Darth Maul: "A droid. The predecessor of your inept B-Ones." Rune Haako: "A superior droid, Lord Maul. Viceroy Gunray's personal guard."
    The OOM-9 Thread
    https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/76756/the-oom-9-thread-9-9-the-phantom-droid/p1
  • ROMG4 wrote: »

Okay, this is bad for those people. On the other side, I am glad that I don't need to collect real disks anymore.
    For General Ahsoka Tano!
    h3d5nuo8y0jq.png

• Evazan127
    8105 posts Member
    Pretty sure people won't be mad that it takes forever to download because of the amount of content.

@ROMG4
  • TheStalker88
    6084 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Imagine one day a solar flare causes a big electro magnetic storm that wipes out most of satellites around the globe and also destroys your xbox. What would you do then? No internet for years. Having physical disks is essential
  • ROMG4
    2517 posts Member
    EvazanJr wrote: »
    Pretty sure people won't be mad that it takes forever to download because of the amount of content.

@ROMG4

Search various keywords around Fallout 4's Disc Release having only 10GB and than come back to me lol
    OOM-9 FOR BATTLEFRONT 2
    OOM-9 Hero Concept by AzelfandQuilava
    https://i.redd.it/uleh1g22xrhz.png

OOM-9 Canonical Material Check-List:

Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace
    William Shakespeare's The Phantom of Menace: Star Wars Part the First
    Ultimate Star Wars (Reference Guide)
    Star Wars: On the Front Lines (Reference Guide)
    Darth Maul: "Who is supervising the search for the Gungan cities?" Nute Gunray: "Commander OOM-Nine." Darth Maul: "A droid. The predecessor of your inept B-Ones." Rune Haako: "A superior droid, Lord Maul. Viceroy Gunray's personal guard."
    The OOM-9 Thread
    https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/76756/the-oom-9-thread-9-9-the-phantom-droid/p1
  • JMaster
    2172 posts Member
    Imagine one day a solar flare causes a big electro magnetic storm that wipes out most of satellites around the globe and also destroys your xbox. What would you do then? No internet for years. Having physical disks is essential
    I'd be more worried about scrounging about for food and warding off gangs of scavengers and piecing back civilization, but have fun with the video games you have, I guess XD
    "I felt there was a large amount of human chauvinism... also I felt very bad that at the end the Wookie didn't get a medal also... oh, all the people got medals but the Wookie who had been in there fighting all the time, didn't get any medal, and I thought that was an example of Anti-Wookie discrimination." - Carl Sagan on the subject of Star Wars
    He knew.
  • Simple full the disc and later a big day 1 update and thats it
  • TheStalker88
    6084 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Nah, an electro magnetic storm wouldn't fry much other than sattelites and the global economy. We would just have to be like China, become a communist state and rebuild and run factories while sometimes not getting paid for months. Basically become ants and forget about money. We would survive. Then we can switch to being a less totalitarian regime.
  • Putting the game on 2 discs would double the cost to make psychical copies. Why waste money making an unnecessary disc per copy when you can patch it in and use that money for an other season of free content.

At that point the last thing most people would be worrying about is their Xbox. Also that relies on too many big ifs that are 1 in a million.
  • TheStalker88
    6084 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Because the installation has to be easy for everyone. Yeah those 10 extra cents for a second disk adds up if you times it by 10 million but oh well. A million won't do much anyways imo. EA makes billions so to them that's like buying a tissue paper
  • Because the installation has to be easy for everyone. Yeah those 10 extra cents for a second disk adds up if you times it by 10 million but oh well. A million won't do much anyways imo. EA makes billions so to them that's like buying a tissue paper

Lol i hardly imagine it costs ten cents to print data on a high quality bluray disc. Also if everyone has to download the same patch that is easy instillation.
  • TheStalker88
    6084 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Doesn't matter. Then charge the game extra 5 bucks for 2 disks instead of 1. Having 3 times the content of the first game can also mean paying a bit more and with free content and season pass that's even better.
  • ROMG4 wrote: »

Okay, this is bad for those people. On the other side, I am glad that I don't need to collect real disks anymore.

I buy real copies for my PS4 specifically to collect discs. Otherwise its like you dont even own them. ;p
  • Imagine one day a solar flare causes a big electro magnetic storm that wipes out most of satellites around the globe and also destroys your xbox. What would you do then? No internet for years. Having physical disks is essential

Good thing I download all of my games to my external HDD and not my Xbox. :)
    Failed to connect to EA Online.
  • Doesn't matter. Then charge the game extra 5 bucks for 2 disks instead of 1. Having 3 times the content of the first game can also mean paying a bit more and with free content and season pass that's even better.

But why. What is the reason for having 2 discs? I don't really see a good reason.
  • TheStalker88
    6084 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Because devs need disk space for the game and are running out. This can lead to delayed content. Instead just use 2 disks and no content will be delayed. Otherwise why worry about running out of space? All I can say is, running out of space somehow isn't good for content at the release and devs have admitted it.
  • Just saying.

They're just going to have you download and install the rest.
  • Yeah probably
  • Just saying.

They're just going to have you download and install the rest.

Yeah exactly. Look at destiny 2. minimum of 68GB under the fine print. Obviously a disc won't hold all that
  • TheStalker88
    6084 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    True, downloading is the way and yet devs are afraid of running out of disk space. So what gives?
  • True, downloading is the way and yet devs are afraid of running out of disk space. So what gives?

Maybe he was just stating they are running of disc space on the box copies, but not that they couldn't add the rest in as a download
  • Cad_Bane
    6252 posts Member
    ROMG4 wrote: »

I like collecting physical copies. I add them to my collection!
    da0nygx92d6z.gif
  • Yeah and not only does your disk collection look badass when on display, you can also pawn it.
  • Surely the devs just put the offline stuff on disk and then you have to download the online content.
  • Stalemate
    3600 posts Member
    That will be what happens, games never come with 2 disks now days.