criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Star Wars Battlefront II Interview

Prev13
Vespervin
666 posts Member
edited July 2017

More information. Yay! It's great to see that Janina Gavankar is really into her role and Star Wars in general.
Failed to connect to EA Online.

Replies

• Not too excited about the campaign.
    "With the elimination of the traitorous Jedi . . . our presence let the galaxy know that the days of the Old Republic were well and truly over. We were establishing a new era, an era of Order and Peace."-Clone Trooper.

"I have brought peace, freedom, justice and security to my new Empire."-Darth Vader.

tumblr_oohhok4GYT1w5773no1_400.gif
  • TheEmpire wrote: »
    Not too excited about the campaign.

Why not? I thought you would be what with your name and forum avatar.

I'm excited to finally play an Imperial protagonist but I am concerned that they'll mess it up somehow.
  • Trooper8059
    10182 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Vespervin wrote: »
    TheEmpire wrote: »

I'm excited to finally play an Imperial protagonist but I am concerned that they'll mess it up somehow.

Probably based on that thread posted on Reddit yesterday.
    PSN: Trooper8059
    "Remember: Your focus determines your reality."
    ezgif_5_a643336582.gif
  • Alex64
    4829 posts Member

A thread about what?
    It's gonna take a few more minutes for you to clear up your head.
  • Vespervin
    666 posts Member
    edited July 2017

Oh no. I have a bad feeling about this.

To search or not to search? Hmm.

Edit: Rage.exe activated: I found it and lost all interest in the campaign. If this turns out to be true I won't even buy the game until it's discounted or on EA Access.

Edit 2: Reading further opens some possibilities about what's going on but I'm still worried that they'll make Inferno Squad the 'good guys' i.e. joining the Rebellion/Republic. Sigh.

And am I the only one who cringes whenever seeing 'Church of the Force'?
  • Vespervin wrote: »

Edit: Rage.exe activated: I found it and lost all interest in the campaign. If this turns out to be true I won't even buy the game until it's discounted or on EA Access.

Edit 2: Reading further opens some possibilities about what's going on but I'm still worried that they'll make Inferno Squad the 'good guys' i.e. joining the Rebellion/Republic. Sigh.

I hope Inferno Squad is just undercover.
    tumblr_m83kl8wd161rv3w3po2_500.gif
    Army or not, you must realize....you are doomed.

I wouldn't be surprised if they go the way were thinking. Truthfully, as stupid as it is. When have we ever seen Imperials (besides Finn) have a change of heart? Never to my knowledge in the movies and canon games. Which is probably the hard-line argument the clown at DICE used to get the story to go that path. As much as I'd love to see a story that honors and exemplifies duty, service, and loyalty; I ain't holding my breath. Also. When will we get a pro-Imperial movie akin to the feel and hype of the classic Starship Troopers?
  • This was the 1 thing I did not want. If I'm hearing this correct Iden versio side she with the alliance?! This is Star killer all over again. I don't want a story line where your an imperial then you realized your on the bad side. EA if this is true then great job another single player game ruined.
    "Oh well it's my programming." -Battle droid Star Wars Clone wars Ep 1
  • Trooper8059
    10182 posts Member
    edited July 2017

The pastebin linked in that page has some pretty convincing evidence to the more straightforward path.

But I'll end it there as we're not allowed to really discuss any leaks.
    PSN: Trooper8059
    "Remember: Your focus determines your reality."
    ezgif_5_a643336582.gif

No that's highly unlikely, remember Idens dad is part of the imperials
    "Oh well it's my programming." -Battle droid Star Wars Clone wars Ep 1
  • I didn't want Starkiller at all. But man oh man, if I even played that game I warrant I'd be pretty darn mad at that ending. I read the book and comic instead, the demo of the game when it came out was dull and ridiculous.

In all honesty, it's all down to execution IMO. Based on what I read on Reddit, particularly in the juicier bits further down the thread, Iden has a good reason to turn regarding things that go down with Operation Cinder. Had she stood by at that point, there's no real way to keep calling her a hero.

Then again, they didn't have to go that route with the story in the first place. They could've had her doing something else unrelated to Operation Cinder.

Also, no, you're not the only one who doesn't like the Church of the Force. It sounds far to much like an Earth organization or something like that, it doesn't feel very Star Wars to me.
    #JustSayNoToReyLo
  • RedSatyr
    108 posts Member
    edited July 2017

I'm super excited to play as an Empire character for once too. The campaign looks really fun. Everything about this game looks really good. That's why I'm getting this on PC and PS4.

I wouldn't be surprised if they go the way were thinking. Truthfully, as **** as it is. When have we ever seen Imperials (besides Finn) have a change of heart? Never to my knowledge in the movies and canon games. Which is probably the hard-line argument the clown at DICE used to get the story to go that path. As much as I'd love to see a story that honors and exemplifies duty, service, and loyalty; I ain't holding my breath. Also. When will we get a pro-Imperial movie akin to the feel and hype of the classic Starship Troopers?

I'm not sure what is meant by this. I mean, Inferno Squad is undercover. In fact, no one except for a select few know they exist. I feel though, that you mean undercover as in Rebels. I'm pretty sure that's not where they are going with this. They wouldn't pitch this as a first time to get the perspective of Imperials just for it to turn around and SURPRISE, they're Rebels all along (or one of them is).

I think it's far more likely that they are going to have some events challenge their resolve as loyal to the Empire, what with having a massive defeat with losing their Emperor and second super weapon. But, they're too tied to the Empire. It's not like Finn who is merely a foot soldier. Inferno Squad is an Elite class that would likely see execution before being allowed to join the Rebels.
  • TheStalker88
    6047 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    This is what I was saying from the very beginning. The Inferno Squad will change sides because having the bad guys win is against Disney's moral, family oriented policies and devs want people to try different sides so they can please the rebels audience as well. Money formula over originality as with most things these days.
  • This is what I was saying from the very beginning. The Inferno Squad will change sides because having the bad guys win is against Disney's moral, family oriented policies and devs want people to try different sides so they can please the rebels audience as well. Money formula over originality as with most things these days.

Eh, people blame far too much on Disney. If there's some edict against showing things from the bad guy's perspective, then why have they had several comic series dedicated to evil characters. We are currently on the second Vader series, plus a Darth Maul series just wrapped, plus another Grand Admiral Thrawn series was just announced. Additionally we've had entire books dedicated to the perspective of the villains. Tarkin, Lords of the Sith(mostly dedicated to the villains), Lost Stars(where one of the two main characters never defects) and Thrawn. Additionally, the new Battlefront novel will be entirely from the Imperial perspective.
    #JustSayNoToReyLo
  • Alex64
    4829 posts Member
    From my particular point of view, Sith and Empire aren't evil.
  • Alex64 wrote: »

You would think that.
  • ROMG4
    2049 posts Member
    And this my friends is why you don't read leaked threads or go to these sites

Me personally I would rather wait and find out if it is true than read and believe that "Leaked" Information
    OOM-9 FOR BATTLEFRONT 2

OOM-9 Hero Concept by AzelfandQuilava

https://i.redd.it/uleh1g22xrhz.png

OOM-9 Canonical Material Check-List:

Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace
    William Shakespeare's The Phantom of Menace: Star Wars Part the First

Ultimate Star Wars (Reference Guide)
    Star Wars: On the Front Lines (Reference Guide)

Darth Maul: "Who is supervising the search for the Gungan cities?" Nute Gunray: "Commander OOM-Nine." Darth Maul: "A droid. The predecessor of your inept B-Ones." Rune Haako: "A superior droid, Lord Maul. Viceroy Gunray's personal guard."

The OOM-9 Thread

https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/76756/the-oom-9-thread-9-9-the-phantom-droid/p1
  • This is what I was saying from the very beginning. The Inferno Squad will change sides because having the bad guys win is against Disney's moral, family oriented policies and devs want people to try different sides so they can please the rebels audience as well. Money formula over originality as with most things these days.

To be fair...the galaxy's ultimate ****, the man in black himself, flipped sides. So the concept was kinda in the SW universe already.
  • Cosmo31315 wrote: »

No that's highly unlikely, remember Idens dad is part of the imperials

That doesnt mean that Inferno Squad being undercover cant be a thing though. Iden and Del Meeko "switching sides" for a certain amount of time in order to get some new informationen and/or deal some damage from within the Rebels / New Republic could be an "unusual assigment", huh?
    giphy.gif
  • F03hammer
    5012 posts SWBF Senior Moderator

I wouldn't be surprised if they go the way were thinking. Truthfully, as **** as it is. When have we ever seen Imperials (besides Finn) have a change of heart? Never to my knowledge in the movies and canon games. Which is probably the hard-line argument the clown at DICE used to get the story to go that path. As much as I'd love to see a story that honors and exemplifies duty, service, and loyalty; I ain't holding my breath. Also. When will we get a pro-Imperial movie akin to the feel and hype of the classic Starship Troopers?

Wedge I think swapped sides from imperial to the RA
    Voluntary Star Wars Battlefront Moderator

28zvwf.jpg
    GT XBOX:
    buyakashak

• TheStalker88
    6047 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    It's kind of unrealistic the Empire decides to destroy the city of it's elite squad. Unless that's a plan to infiltrate the Rebels and demolish their plans later. Would be a cool twist.
  • It's kind of unrealistic the Empire decides to destroy the city of it's elite squad. Unless that's a plan to infiltrate the Rebels and demolish their plans later. Would be a cool twist.

It's all a part of Operation Cinder. It makes sense the more you know about Palpatine's plans in the event that he dies.
    #JustSayNoToReyLo
  • A thread that I posted yesterday and it was deleted. I didn't know we couldn't post anything of the sort but I just might be canceling my preorder of the game and book now. If the leaks are true I don't Like it. What they'll do to Iden's character is a blatant insult and misleading of the nature of the story they're trying to sell here. Being a Rebel doesn't sit well with me or my beliefs. I don't feel comfortable. At all.

I hope they just don't make a reason, no matter what, to have Iden, well, defect. I didn't see Saw Guerrera and his evil terrorists "redeem" themselves or Cassian when he admitted to doing terrible things(murder included) in the name of the Rebellion and that he'd do it again. If these villains can go on, why can't a hero like Iden?

You can make an Imperial sympathetic of you make her enemies less so. Having her defect for any reason is poor storytelling and reeks of unoriginality and laziness.
    "With the elimination of the traitorous Jedi . . . our presence let the galaxy know that the days of the Old Republic were well and truly over. We were establishing a new era, an era of Order and Peace."-Clone Trooper.

"I have brought peace, freedom, justice and security to my new Empire."-Darth Vader.

If the Empire is evil it's a necessity evil.

• Indeed. I take these leaks with a grain of salt but if closer to release they turn out to be true then I won't be buying it. I haven't even pre-ordered because of how their first Battlefront turned out. Just because we now have three eras and a few changes here and there doesn't mean it'll be a game that keeps bringing me back over and over again.

Usually I try to avoid spoilers regarding games and movies that interest me but in this case my purchase of the game depends on knowing the outcome of the story.
  • 2000sGuy
    5698 posts Member
    This is what I was saying from the very beginning. The Inferno Squad will change sides because having the bad guys win is against Disney's moral, family oriented policies and devs want people to try different sides so they can please the rebels audience as well. Money formula over originality as with most things these days.

Eh im not sure about family oriented morals. They do have a knack for killing parents
    Hey Man.
    fw2yVS7.jpg
  • WarfareKiller41
    5983 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    I'd take these leaks with a huge grain of salt, I don't think the campaign leak is true. Iden was described as a die-hard Imperial Commander. It's way more likely than anyone thinks that she's staying on the Dark Side. Inferno Squad could just be switching to the Rebels to infiltrate them, they could be double agents.
  • Yeah, Alexsandr Kallus was an Imperial die-hard as well, and we know where his loyalties now lie.
    Yeah, Alexsandr Kallus was an Imperial die-hard as well, and we know where his loyalties now lie.
    Okay, first of all, I don't know where you got the idea that Kallus was an Imperial die-hard. But let me explain Kallus.

He has the heart of a Rebel, Thrawn said it himself. He's not as cold and cruel as he appeared, he was disturbed when Aresko and Grint were killed. I highly doubt a very loyal Imperial would care at all. He revealed a more vulnerable side to himself when he was forced to cooperate with Zeb, he felt sad, confused, and lost at heart. His conversations with Zeb lead to him having a different view on the Empire. He even expressed concern for civilian casualties from one of Thrawn's campaigns, testing his loyalty. His defection was already foreshadowed.

"The Rebellion may have heroes like Jyn Erso and Luke Skywalker. But the Empire has Inferno Squad." is a line found in the summary of the Inferno Squad book. They're pushing the idea that the good guys have their heroes, while the bad guys have theirs. Iden avenging the Emperor also supports this idea. I firmly believe that Iden is staying with the Dark Side.
    Yeah, Alexsandr Kallus was an Imperial die-hard as well, and we know where his loyalties now lie.
    Okay, first of all, I don't know where you got the idea that Kallus was an Imperial die-hard. But let me explain Kallus.

He has the heart of a Rebel, Thrawn said it himself. He's not as cold and cruel as he appeared, he was disturbed when Aresko and Grint were killed. I highly doubt a very loyal Imperial would care at all. He revealed a more vulnerable side to himself when he was forced to cooperate with Zeb, he felt sad, confused, and lost at heart. His conversations with Zeb lead to him having a different view on the Empire. He even expressed concern for civilian casualties from one of Thrawn's campaigns, testing his loyalty. His defection was already foreshadowed.

"The Rebellion may have heroes like Jyn Erso and Luke Skywalker. But the Empire has Inferno Squad." is a line found in the summary of the Inferno Squad book. They're pushing the idea that the good guys have their heroes, while the bad guys have theirs. Iden avenging the Emperor also supports this idea. I firmly believe that Iden is staying with the Dark Side.

Conversely, if Iden isn't cruel enough, that may be a catalyst for her turn as well.
    #JustSayNoToReyLo
  • TheStalker88
    6047 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Angry Joe will have something to say now for sure. If this is just another cliche trope then him and many others will get ****. I still hope in the end Iden will turn around and back stab the Rebels like a true Imperial but 99% this won't happen. Looks like destroying Iden's city will be enough to turn her against all the ideals of the Empire which is so wrong on many levels. Hating the Emperor for this doesn't mean she will automatically hate everything the Empire stands for.
  • Angry Joe will have something to say now for sure. If this is just another cliche trope then him and many others will get ****. I still hope in the end Iden will turn around and back stab the Rebels like a true Imperial but 99% this won't happen. Looks like destroying Iden's city will be enough to turn her against all the ideals of the Empire which is so wrong on many levels. Hating the Emperor for this doesn't mean she will automatically hate everything the Empire stands for.
    They could just be working as double agents.
  • ROMG4
    2049 posts Member
    Or we could just simply wait and see what happens when it releases

Or could you guys please at least use Spoilers? Some people kind of don't want to be spoiled at all really and you guys have spoiled a lot of things for me much more than this and it's kind of getting annoying

Not everyone looks at these sites for leaked Info use the Spoiler tags
    OOM-9 FOR BATTLEFRONT 2

OOM-9 Hero Concept by AzelfandQuilava

https://i.redd.it/uleh1g22xrhz.png

OOM-9 Canonical Material Check-List:

Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace
    William Shakespeare's The Phantom of Menace: Star Wars Part the First

Ultimate Star Wars (Reference Guide)
    Star Wars: On the Front Lines (Reference Guide)

Darth Maul: "Who is supervising the search for the Gungan cities?" Nute Gunray: "Commander OOM-Nine." Darth Maul: "A droid. The predecessor of your inept B-Ones." Rune Haako: "A superior droid, Lord Maul. Viceroy Gunray's personal guard."

The OOM-9 Thread

https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/76756/the-oom-9-thread-9-9-the-phantom-droid/p1

Disney has little to do with it. Rogue One established that there are villains in the "good guys" side. Saw Guerrera and Cassian. Cassian especially since he was the main cast and committed murder at the first few scenes of the movie and admitted to doing terrible things for the terrorist Rebellion.

A thread that I posted yesterday and it was deleted. I didn't know we couldn't post anything of the sort but I just might be canceling my preorder of the game and book now. If the leaks are true I don't Like it. What they'll do to Iden's character is a blatant insult and misleading of the nature of the story they're trying to sell here. Being a Rebel doesn't sit well with me or my beliefs. I don't feel comfortable. At all.

I hope they just don't make a reason, no matter what, to have Iden, well, defect. I didn't see Saw Guerrera and his evil terrorists "redeem" themselves or Cassian when he admitted to doing terrible things(murder included) in the name of the Rebellion and that he'd do it again. If these villains can go on, why can't a hero like Iden?

You can make an Imperial sympathetic of you make her enemies less so. Having her defect for any reason is poor storytelling and reeks of unoriginality and laziness.

At the core. The Empire IS evil. There are alot of things in the world that are evil, but some of them are necessary. You don't need to try to paint the empire as the good guys, because they're not. Rather there are aspects of The Empire that can be positive virtues to focus on in the game. Loyalty, Duty, Selfless Service, Honor, Integrity, Personal Courage. What it means to be a soldier and a person fighting to preserve what is, isn't going to come from The Rebellion.

But. To sum up. Make a game that can focus on the good/cool aspects of The Empire, and don't waffle it like hacky Disney writers.
  • Lonnisity
    1909 posts Member
    A thread that I posted yesterday and it was deleted. I didn't know we couldn't post anything of the sort but I just might be canceling my preorder of the game and book now. If the leaks are true I don't Like it. What they'll do to Iden's character is a blatant insult and misleading of the nature of the story they're trying to sell here. Being a Rebel doesn't sit well with me or my beliefs. I don't feel comfortable. At all.

Geez, calm down. It's a game. If your "beliefs" affect your view of a game so much, maybe you just shouldn't play it
    "Yeah, I'm responsible these days. It's the price you pay for being successful."
  • We're in an age of identity politics. People take these seriously nowadays because it's so common for developers to try and push (or at least try to turn it into) for some real world objective. Gone are the days of making a famous movie just because you wanted to entertain. Thank you Bioware, may you burn in a dumpster fire rooting around for food.
  • Alex64
    4829 posts Member
    What is your problem guys?
    Isn't redemption something used in Return of the Jedi?
    Darth Vader killing palp, eh? What's that? Tell me, tell me...
    So you're saying that everyone should have redemption?
  • Alex64
    4829 posts Member
    Alex64 wrote: »
    Redemption means Death
    Iden will die.
    Alex64 wrote: »
    Redemption means Death
    Iden will die.
    Redemption means death? Eh, not necessarily. Although I do agree that Iden will most likely die.
  • Lonnisity wrote: »

Geez, calm down. It's a game. If your "beliefs" affect your view of a game so much, maybe you just shouldn't play it
    Yeah, it's not a good enough reason to dislike a game. We don't even know the story yet for god's sake.

At the core. The Empire IS evil. There are alot of things in the world that are evil, but some of them are necessary. You don't need to try to paint the empire as the good guys, because they're not. Rather there are aspects of The Empire that can be positive virtues to focus on in the game. Loyalty, Duty, Selfless Service, Honor, Integrity, Personal Courage. What it means to be a soldier and a person fighting to preserve what is, isn't going to come from The Rebellion.

But. To sum up. Make a game that can focus on the good/cool aspects of The Empire, and don't waffle it like hacky Disney writers.
    And the Rebellion at the core is evil, too. The Empire is a necessary evil to uphold order peace and justice as well as security. The chaotic threat the Rebels represent are completely against that.

I'm ticked off that the developers through interviews and advertising try to sell this Imperial campaign with a tired ending.

And the Rebellion at the core is evil, too. The Empire is a necessary evil to uphold order peace and justice as well as security. The chaotic threat the Rebels represent are completely against that.

I'm ticked off that the developers through interviews and advertising try to sell this Imperial campaign with a tired ending.
    Look, the game isn't even out yet. The book isn't even out yet. Yet you're going to judge a story based on a leak that might not even be true?

No, the Rebellion is not evil at its core. The Rebellion is not anti order, but rather anti tyranny. If they were against order, then their primary mission wouldn't have been to restore the Republic.

**** and Stalin claimed to be for order, didn't mean they weren't awful and that their governments didn't deserve to be brought down. The Empire murders and enslaves it's own people and strips their planets bare of resources. Claiming the two organizations are on par is ridiculous. The only way someone can actually believe the Empire are the good guys is if they ignore most all of the evidence presented in the movies and elsewhere.
    #JustSayNoToReyLo

No, the Rebellion is not evil at its core. The Rebellion is not anti order, but rather anti tyranny. If they were against order, then their primary mission wouldn't have been to restore the Republic.

**** and Stalin claimed to be for order, didn't mean they weren't awful and that their governments didn't deserve to be brought down. The Empire murders and enslaves it's own people and strips their planets bare of resources. Claiming the two organizations are on par is ridiculous. The only way someone can actually believe the Empire are the good guys is if they ignore most all of the evidence presented in the movies and elsewhere.
    The argument that the Rebellion is evil is so ridiculous.

It doesn't make one lick of sense. It's one thing to point out the grey areas in both organizations, it's quite another to say the Empire is good or necessary. The Rebellion is founded on noble ideals, the Empire was founded by a man who manufactured a galactic civil war which probably killed billions of people and who orchestrated a genocide and even ordered the murder of children to start off his Empire. Not to mention the list of atrocities that were performed under his regime.
    #JustSayNoToReyLo

It doesn't make one lick of sense. It's one thing to point out the grey areas in both organizations, it's quite another to say the Empire is good or necessary. The Rebellion is founded on noble ideals, the Empire was founded by a man who manufactured a galactic civil war which probably killed billions of people and who orchestrated a genocide and even ordered the murder of children to start off his Empire. Not to mention the list of atrocities that were performed under his regime.
    The Republic was obviously the good guys during the Clone Wars, after their fall, the Rebellion was trying to restore what the Republic once was. The Rebellion isn't evil, period. A few crimes from a couple people in the Rebellion doesn't automatically make them evil, everything has their flaws.

And the Jedi didn't commit genocide in the Old Republic? Or accept a slave army of clones to do their bidding? And if those children grew older they certainly would have rose up against him. George Lucas said so. Sidious believed in peace, despite as a byproduct of control.

Good is a point of view. The truths we cling to depend greatly on our point of view.

Relative. All of it.