criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
July Community Calendar
Obi-Wan Kenobi Community Quests

Inferno Squad Discussion- Potential Spoilers

I want to see what people think about this book.

I have read through about half of it, and have my opinions, but I am curious what others think from what they have read so far
The greatest moderator that EA has ever had.

Replies

• What are your thoughts? I haven't read it and don't plan to but I'm also curious to see what others say about it.
    Failed to connect to EA Online.
  • I don't like it so far. There is very little character development, no time is spent building any scenes, and story is going really quickly.
  • Trooper8059
    10199 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    I got the book today, though I haven't started yet. I hope there aren't too many references I miss because I haven't gotten to reading Rebel Rising yet.
    PSN: Trooper8059
    "Remember: Your focus determines your reality."
    ezgif_5_a643336582.gif
  • Vespervin
    691 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    I don't like it so far. There is very little character development, no time is spent building any scenes, and story is going really quickly.

Sounds like you're watching Rogue One. :V
    Failed to connect to EA Online.
  • Cad_Bane
    6252 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    I'm waiting till close to release to read so I can jump straight into the campaign after reading.
  • Cad_Bane
    6252 posts Member
    I got the book today, though I haven't started yet. I hope there aren't too many references I miss because I haven't gotten to reading Rebel Rising yet.

Wasn't planning on reading that one. What would rebel rising have to do with this book though?
  • Cad_Bane wrote: »

Wasn't planning on reading that one. What would rebel rising have to do with this book though?

Inferno Squad is about hunting down the remnants of Saw's Partisans. Rebel Rising is about Jyn's time with the Partisans.

There could be references to characters or events that happened in the book.
    ezgif_5_a643336582.gif
  • Cad_Bane
    6252 posts Member
    Cad_Bane wrote: »

Inferno Squad is about hunting down the remnants of Saw's Partisans. Rebel Rising is about Jyn's time with the Partisans.

There could be references to characters or events that happened in the book.

Ahh. Ok. I'm waiting till closer to release to read the book so I can jump straight into the campaign after.
  • Finished mine the other day - I really quite enjoyed it.
    I appreciate what people say about character development, but in my head things took place over a relatively short time-frame, and towards the end we do see some changes and growth in some of the characters/relationships.

To me, this was more about setting up characters and relationships than developing them (that's what the campaign is for!), and in that respect, I think it succeeded - for example:
    • I now know that while Iden wholeheartedly believes in the Empire, going as far to justify massive "collateral damage" for the cause, she does value life and doesn't enjoy killing innocents (though would happily swim in the blood of the Rebel scum).
    • I know that Del is, in many ways, the glue of the squad - making jokes, raising the mood - especially after Seyn's death.
    • I know that Gideon and Iden were friends for years, but there has always been a rivalry between them, intensified by Hask's jealousy after Iden's appointment as the Squad's Captain.

These are just three examples of interesting sub-plots, but I feel these in particular will have excellent potential for character development in the campaign.

Just my 2p.
  • Jrob122
    4638 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    I got the audio version and I can't listen to it for more than 45 min without falling asleep. I love Janina's VO, but the book is just so dam boring. I can't listen to it for prologned periods of time. The only segment I've really liked is the beginning with the DS. I'm only on chapter 11, though.
  • Jrob122 wrote: »
    I got the audio version and I can't listen to it for more than 45 min without falling asleep. I love Janina's VO, but the book is just so dam boring. I can't listen to it for prologned periods of time. The only segment I've really liked is the beginning with the DS. I'm only on chapter 11, though.

The book proceeds to get slower the further on you get. If someone were to buy the book by it's cover, they'd probably be disappointed.

Regardless of the cover, I was kinda hoping the book would provide a lot of imperial action; with them kicking the rebels into the ground. I guess I'll have to hope the game delivers that.
    ezgif_5_a643336582.gif
  • Pool shark you are dumb get a life **** you ruin everything
  • SWBF2_sean wrote: »
    Pool shark you are dumb get a life **** you ruin everything
    I love how this went unnoticed.
    A thousand generations live in you now, but this is your fight.
    mbetxwnmm1qiioixt6xy.gif
  • It didn't go unnoticed, was just busy
  • ElizLestrad
    62 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    I loved the book personally, one of the main reasons I was so excited to play as Inferno Squad. Though I was disappointed by one unnecessary plot point that I won't specifically mention that relates to the game.

It's like the game Sniper Elite or Saving Private Ryan. If someone wanted to be an army sniper just by the non-stop action in the games or movies....they would be sorely disappointed. It would also be akin to someone wanting to be a spy based entirely on James Bond.

It is highly likely that Covert Ops is not as glorious or non-stop exciting (hence the covert) as movies and games make it seem.
  • Spoilers for campaign:
    Anyone a bit disappointed that the book played little into the overall plot of the campaign? It was nice that Seyn got a mention at the end, but I was expecting there to be more in terms of Iden's betrayal. I thought the fact that she was sympathetic to the Partisans would play in, but it didn't.
    ezgif_5_a643336582.gif
  • Can someone post a sypnosis of the whole thing? I want to know how it all went down because I'm not getting the game till it's used on the shelves for reasons many consider to be unnatural
  • Can someone post a sypnosis of the whole thing? I want to know how it all went down because I'm not getting the game till it's used on the shelves for reasons many consider to be unnatural

Iden wins, the end
    Iden rebels and finds her true <3 with Del Meeko. :)
    A thousand generations live in you now, but this is your fight.
    mbetxwnmm1qiioixt6xy.gif
  • TheStalker88
    6084 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    Really? No backstabbing the rebel scum?
  • Really? No backstabbing the rebel scum?

I said it months ago. Sweden. Nope, no emphasis on loyalty and duty like we got from the 501st in BF2. Just another "muh empire lied to me, muh loyalty ends where my needs begin, muh empire is buhd" schlock we can expect from Disney.
  • Really? No backstabbing the rebel scum?

I said it months ago. Sweden. Nope, no emphasis on loyalty and duty like we got from the 501st in BF2. Just another "muh empire lied to me, muh loyalty ends where my needs begin, muh empire is buhd" schlock we can expect from Disney.

What does a country have to do with a star wars story?