criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Gamescom 2019 Triple XP
Community Transmission

How I think Capital Ships will work

Pommesbroetchen
23 posts Member
edited August 2017
Space Battles offer a great variety of possible discussions about several different topics, one of the most heavily discussed topics are the Capital Ships and their role in space combat.

Back in Battlefront II 2005 players could board the enemy's Capital Ship and damage it from within in order to gain a huge advantage. In the last Battlefront game we had to wait until the third DLC (Deathstar) to be able to play "real" space combat, and we didnt get any useful big ships.

This is how I think the role of Capital Ships in combat will play out:

They will NOT be accessible. We wont be able to board them, the hangars we've seen in the latest Fondor picture (which looks absolutely stunning btw) will be anchored in Gameplay - I guess we'll start in them as some sort of frequence like the heroes had theirs' in the previous game.

However, we will be able to play as Capital Ships - in the first trailer we've seen the many guns firing at the small ships, and I think that is where we come in. The guns might work just as the tanks in Battlefield do, with the exception that the guns will be stationary, obviously. We had these different guns in Battlefront II 2005 as well, and in my opinion, we might get this again, just without the boarding stuff.

Please be aware that this is only a wild guess and speculation. What do you think? Do you agree or disagree and do you think this would be enough to make the playerbase pleased?

MTFBWY
Pommesbroetchen_ / SWBF News Deutsch

edit: typos

giphy.gif

Replies

• xpek
    71 posts Member
    If we can not get inside it will be a complete *****
  • I agree.

I don't really need to board ships as long as I can take off
  • xpek wrote: »
    If we can not get inside it will be a complete ****
    Don't let the nostalgia goggles blind you.
    A thousand generations live in you now, but this is your fight.
    mbetxwnmm1qiioixt6xy.gif
  • Just like in Battefront II (2005) is minimum, but I would be already good with it.
    If it's FS in Space again or stage modes then huge riots!
    For General Ahsoka Tano!
    h3d5nuo8y0jq.png

• Alex64
    7442 posts Member
    An Assault mode with multiple phases(space, ground)
    The kind mixed with the wicked, the will to fight until the end, I'm not your enemy or friend.
    Don't let the nostalgia goggles blind you.
    Exactly

Boarding is really cool but don't need it to have good space combat. All I really need is the ability to takeoff and I'm happy.

Alex64 wrote: »
    An Assault mode with multiple phases(space, ground)
    I do like the story based phases. Good way to combine flying and ground.
    Just like in Battefront II (2005) is minimum, but I would be already good with it.

Exactly
  • I honestly don't care much about boarding because I think if we have it, it'll b3 very minimal like the original Battlefront 2 and I'd rather have no boarding than a boring, unrealistic boarding. Plus I'd be plenty happy if we can just damage capital ships and fire the cannons.
  • If it's FS in Space again or stage modes then huge riots!

Wouldn't you be satisfied with being able to control the guns and maybe even having some smaller ships like the Imperial Light Cruiser (which can be seen in the Fondor picture) that you maybe could steer and bring some TIEs in your hangars?
    In my opinion that'd be a great way tomake these cruisers having an effect on the battle as well, instead of just floating around like they did in the DeathStar DLC...
    giphy.gif
  • I just want to destroy capital ships and want them to fire back at us. I'm satisfied if it's handled like in the Death Star DLC. What i don't want is them to be inactive backdrops like in the vanilla FS mode of the last Battlefront. I don't need boarding captial ships like in BF (2005), as long as the ships are active objects on the map.
  • TheStalker88
    6084 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Just like in Battefront II (2005) is minimum, but I would be already good with it.

Stage modes will probably be independent of other modes. Nothing to worry about unless playlists happen again and we are forced to play them.
  • ross42899 wrote: »
    I don't need boarding captial ships like in BF (2005), as long as the ships are active objects on the map.

But I need and many other Battlefront and Star Wars fans as well. If you want a feature which isn't available in Battlefield then this!
    For General Ahsoka Tano!
    h3d5nuo8y0jq.png

• being able to control the guns and maybe even having some smaller ships like the Imperial Light Cruiser (which can be seen in the Fondor picture) that you maybe could steer and bring some TIEs in your hangars
    In my opinion that'd be a great way to make these cruisers have an effect on the battle as well, instead of just floating around like they did in the DeathStar DLC...
    ross42899 wrote: »
    I just want to destroy capital ships and want them to fire back at us. What i don't want is them to be inactive backdrops like in the vanilla FS mode of the last Battlefront. I don't need boarding captial ships like in BF (2005), as long as the ships are active objects on the map.

"Army or not. You must realize, you are doomed." ~General Grievous
    giphy.gif
  • I'm pretty sure there will be bigger ships as objectives to take down, the Bombers indicate this. Also they mentioned on the website we will be able to take down capital ships. So that's something although I doubt we will be able to fly into the hangar and take them out from the inside.
    Battlefront II has a 45.8% chance of success.
    sfg04pfx1l31.gif
  • snakebro25 wrote: »
    I honestly don't care much about boarding because I think if we have it, it'll b3 very minimal like the original Battlefront 2 and I'd rather have no boarding than a boring, unrealistic boarding. Plus I'd be plenty happy if we can just damage capital ships and fire the cannons.

Same here, people are wearing some major rose colored glasses when it comes to the boarding aspect of Battlefront II. Me and my friends would get so bored with it that when we were playing Galactic Conquest we would often intentionally let enemy fleets reach our planets instead of engaging in another boring space battle.

I'm not against seeing boardable capital ships again someday, but it needs to be handled much better than what we got in the original Battlefront II.
    #JustSayNoToReyLo