criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Why Maul Can't Block

Prev1
Kavian
319 posts Member
edited August 2017
"He would be OP" and "He's supposed to be fast and furious" are the most common and most stupid responses to this issue. Guys, I'm 100% on your side on this, I hate that Maul can't block, but now that I think about it, the reason is clear. EA is too lazy to animate his block, and I am very mad that Darth Maul's downfall is the laziness of a company that has promised to listen to their player base. BUT. After some thought, I feel like it actually would be pretty hard to animate an actual block for him, lazy or not. Even if you used some spinny kind of block, it wouldn't be fluent and would ultimately look bad especially against high fire rate weapons. I am slowly coming to terms with this because HOPEFULLY EA IS SMART ENOUGH TO BUFF HIM A BUNCH TO COMPENSATE FOR IT.

Replies

• EA wants him to be the offensive hero that he is (all the other sith are defensive).

If it is in fact that maul is too hard to animate (highly doubt it) then they won't take a week off they'll work on something else.

He was very strong in alpha to compensate
  • EvazanJr wrote: »
    EA wants him to be the offensive hero that he is (all the other sith are defensive).

If it is in fact that maul is too hard to animate (highly doubt it) then they won't take a week off they'll work on something else.

Having a block that allows him to stay in the battle and counter attack is more offensive than running away.

All the other sith are defensive? Not true. The nature of the sith is to attack.
    EA wants him to be the offensive hero that he is (all the other sith are defensive).

Having a block that allows him to stay in the battle and counter attack is more offensive than running away.

All the other sith are defensive? Not true. The nature of the sith is to attack.
    Vader, Kylo Ren and Dooku are all fairly defensive. If they wanted to pick one to be offensive they'd pick maul.
    EvazanJr wrote: »

Vader, Kylo Ren and Dooku are all fairly defensive. If they wanted to pick one to be offensive they'd pick maul.

Vader? Kylo? Defensive? What?

I get maybe Dooku, but Vader and Kyko were FAR FROM defensive.
    We need a Tier System for the Heroes. It would justify the "op-ness" of Vader over Han and Chewbacca. It would cost much more to unlock Vader, and would require you to save a lot more than for other heroes and vehicles, but it would be rewarding in the end...

"It would essentially ruin the eras and turn them into nothing much more than the same thing and same experience but with a different skin. Which is contrary to the point in having eras in the first place." - ZmanGames

Okay. 1. They are not defensive. 2. Offensive doesn't mean an inability to block. Blocking to counter attack is more offensive than running.

Obi wan is defensive, depa billaba is defensive, the grand inquisitor uses soresu, so is defensive. The same goes for unduli and offee. Defensive is not the way of the sith.
  • Kavian
    319 posts Member

Have you seen Kylo? He has the most brute-like, berzerker combat style ever. You never seen him punch his wound then continue to WHALE on Finn??

Vader is the definition of a tank, slow and powerful, with high health and all offensive abilities (AND HE STILL HAS A BLOCK)

Dooku yeah probably pretty defensive,

Maul used more than mindless whirling past his target three times then spamming the attack button until he dies because the animation for a dual blade lightsaber attack takes longer to execute than rey's single blade lightsaber. He has a side step ability in place of his block, moving him four centimeters to the right. I recommend they either turn that into a huge lounge so people cant hit you as you zigzag to them, or buff the living hell out of him.

• Kavian
    319 posts Member

Okay. 1. They are not defensive. 2. Offensive doesn't mean an inability to block. Blocking to counter attack is more offensive than running.

Obi wan is defensive, depa billaba is defensive, the grand inquisitor uses soresu, so is defensive. The same goes for unduli and offee. Defensive is not the way of the sith.

Agreed
  • bfloo
    14398 posts Member
    Aside from the melee glitch, most video I saw of Maul he was a wrecking crew without the block, and destroying Rey with her block.

Until I actually try him, it is hard to say either way.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• Laser921
    1795 posts Member
    This discussion reminds me of this,
    Emotion yet Peace, Ignorance yet Knowledge, Passion yet Serenity, Chaos yet Harmony, Death yet the Force
  • if maul gets block he should only have one of those dashes
  • Kavian
    319 posts Member
    Laser921 wrote: »

this was the best thing i've seen in a week
  • Kavian wrote: »

Lmao, hard to breathe.
    kylenpain wrote: »
    if maul gets block he should only have one of those dashes

Oh yeah, his dashes would absolutely need to be toned down for him to get a block. If he were to keep them as is on top of a block, that would be unbalanced. As for the block, a weak one that allows him to move rather quickly (but has inaccurate deflections) would be the best one to fit his play-style. He should be on the attack for the majority of the time, but he should also be able to block when need be.
    We need a Tier System for the Heroes. It would justify the "op-ness" of Vader over Han and Chewbacca. It would cost much more to unlock Vader, and would require you to save a lot more than for other heroes and vehicles, but it would be rewarding in the end...

"It would essentially ruin the eras and turn them into nothing much more than the same thing and same experience but with a different skin. Which is contrary to the point in having eras in the first place." - ZmanGames

Maybe slow would be a better word than defensive. Yes Kylo Ren is fast but you don't see him running around like crazy
  • Laser921 wrote: »
    Exactly what it is

Maybe slow would be a better word than defensive. Yes Kylo Ren is fast but you don't see him running around like crazy

In that case, yeah, I get what your saying. Maul was a much more rapid and fast-paced fighter than the other three mentioned.

• Mastahpeece
    1944 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    What if the reason for Maul not blocking is...

Disney hates the prequels and thus they are making the prequel heroes weak.
    /s
    Ponds main

Officer of The Knights of Gareth
    uruzea55jgr4.png
  • Kavian
    319 posts Member

/s

start a conspiracy lmao
  • Kavian
    319 posts Member
    Kavian wrote: »

Lmao, hard to breathe.

Oh yeah, his dashes would absolutely need to be toned down for him to get a block. If he were to keep them as is on top of a block, that would be unbalanced. As for the block, a weak one that allows him to move rather quickly (but has inaccurate deflections) would be the best one to fit his play-style. He should be on the attack for the majority of the time, but he should also be able to block when need be.

Yeah that's a fair idea and a good solution in my opinion. Another thing I was thinking was maybe while dashing forward (since when he dashes he spins his saber like crazy) he deflects blasters (obviously with like zero accuracy) and that way that could take the place of the block completely and he could still have his three dashes.

/s

start a conspiracy lmao

What if it's true, though...

Could it be...?

a23.gif

• idk about u guys but i think maul would be stronger without the block
  • kylenpain wrote: »
    idk about u guys but i think maul would be stronger without the block

He most likely would be stronger in terms of offense, but I guarantee that people will whine and moan he's too OP, and they'll just nerf him after a month or so. So, instead of then having to wait 3 months for them to then rebuff him to be "balanced", just give him a weak block, tone down his Spin Attacks and call it a day.

Lmao, hard to breathe.

Yeah that's a fair idea and a good solution in my opinion. Another thing I was thinking was maybe while dashing forward (since when he dashes he spins his saber like crazy) he deflects blasters (obviously with like zero accuracy) and that way that could take the place of the block completely and he could still have his three dashes.

He most likely would be stronger in terms of offense, but I guarantee that people will whine and moan he's too OP, and they'll just nerf him after a month or so. So, instead of then having to wait 3 months for them to then rebuff him to be "balanced", just give him a weak block, tone down his Spin Attacks and call it a day.

exactly, this is the best solution
  • Star card that allows him to block. You're welcome EA.
  • Kavian
    319 posts Member
    edited August 2017

see how this man bested the brains of an entire crew of expertly trained video game designers in one of the most successful gaming companies in the world, in one forum comment

(not clickbait)
  • Kavian
    319 posts Member

/s

start a conspiracy lmao

Could it be...?

a23.gif

I will write a sternly worded letter to walt disney on your behalf
  • Shinjuku
    1758 posts Member
    bfloo wrote: »
    Aside from the melee glitch, most video I saw of Maul he was a wrecking crew without the block, and destroying Rey with her block.

Note that what we saw in the live stream was players who are new to playing Battlefront 2 hence why the Rey players weren't so great not to also mention infantry would also play a part adding to the damage in turn making Darth Maul look very strong, just wait until people figure out strategies and ways to counter and trump Darth Maul (those that who are competent enough). He is a very situational type of character, so he'd attack or flank while everyone's too busy focused on what's at hand and take advantage of that, clip a few infantrymen then dip back out. Just don't get caught of guard, he reminds me of Skye from Paladins you don't know where and when you'll be under attack.
    MLtmeEi.png
    " If you're not with me, then you're my enemy."
  • bfloo wrote: »

A thousand generations live in you now, but this is your fight.
    mbetxwnmm1qiioixt6xy.gif

see how this man bested the brains of an entire crew of expertly trained video game designers in one of the most successful gaming companies in the world, in one forum comment

(not clickbait)

Lol, thank you, thank you.

/s

start a conspiracy lmao

Could it be...?

a23.gif

I will write a sternly worded letter to walt disney on your behalf

Thank you. Aku isn't the true evil; corporations like Disney are...

• ROMG4
    2421 posts Member
    You realize EA is just the Publisher Dice is the creator of the Infantry and Heroes

Also this is the filmiest bloody logic I have ever seen on this forum

At least for this month that is
    OOM-9 FOR BATTLEFRONT 2
    OOM-9 Hero Concept by AzelfandQuilava
    https://i.redd.it/uleh1g22xrhz.png

OOM-9 Canonical Material Check-List:

Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace
    William Shakespeare's The Phantom of Menace: Star Wars Part the First
    Ultimate Star Wars (Reference Guide)
    Star Wars: On the Front Lines (Reference Guide)
    Darth Maul: "Who is supervising the search for the Gungan cities?" Nute Gunray: "Commander OOM-Nine." Darth Maul: "A droid. The predecessor of your inept B-Ones." Rune Haako: "A superior droid, Lord Maul. Viceroy Gunray's personal guard."
    The OOM-9 Thread
    https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/76756/the-oom-9-thread-9-9-the-phantom-droid/p1
  • ROMG4 wrote: »
    You realize EA is just the Publisher Dice is the creator of the Infantry and Heroes

what do you mean filmiest
  • bfloo
    14398 posts Member
    Shinjuku wrote: »

Note that what we saw in the live stream was players who are new to playing Battlefront 2 hence why the Rey players weren't so great not to also mention infantry would also play a part adding to the damage in turn making Darth Maul look very strong, just wait until people figure out strategies and ways to counter and trump Darth Maul (those that who are competent enough). He is a very situational type of character, so he'd attack or flank while everyone's too busy focused on what's at hand and take advantage of that, clip a few infantrymen then dip back out. Just don't get caught of guard, he reminds me of Skye from Paladins you don't know where and when you'll be under attack.

Rey just didn't look especially fun to me. Overall she looked too slow to take on Maul.

The players playing Maul were new to the game also, so that doesn't really apply.

They also said the heroes will be situational at the reveal, so it is intentional.

We'll see how it works out in the beta in a few months. :)

h846398gb27k.png

• I'm pretty sure, even if it seems silly, Maul simply is designed in the game to dodge and strike. Like he gets 3 of those dashes and I believe there are perks allowing him to even resist more damage while dashing, so yeah you gotta just learn his play style I guess.
  • TMachine97
    1022 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    The reason why Maul can't block is becauses DICE legitimately thinks it will be unbalanced. Whether they are right or wrong is another argument but they are certainly not 'lazy'. You can't be working for a AAA development studio and be lazy. If the things are left out, it'd be because of time or, in some cases, budget constraints. Not because they couldn't be bothered doing it.

At the end of the day, they'll probably add it after launch if enough people ask for it. They fixed Vader in the first game so he could block and force choke so I can't see it being impossible to fix Maul post-launch.

• Kavian
    319 posts Member
    TMachine97 wrote: »
    You can't be working for a AAA development studio and be lazy. If the things are left out, it'd be because of time or, in some cases, budget constraints. Not because they couldn't be bothered doing it.

At the end of the day, they'll probably add it after launch if enough people ask for it.

Looking at battlefront 2015 i'd say yeah you probably can be lazy with a triple A game, and considering a solid 75% of people so far are dissapointed/mad about maul's inability to block, you'd think they'd change it immediately. But you do make good points and it is only the pre-alpha, so i'll quit my naggin (for now)

• TMachine97
    1022 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    TMachine97 wrote: »
    You can't be working for a AAA development studio and be lazy. If the things are left out, it'd be because of time or, in some cases, budget constraints. Not because they couldn't be bothered doing it.

At the end of the day, they'll probably add it after launch if enough people ask for it.

Looking at battlefront 2015 i'd say yeah you probably can be lazy with a triple A game, and considering a solid 75% of people so far are dissapointed/mad about maul's inability to block, you'd think they'd change it immediately. But you do make good points and it is only the pre-alpha, so i'll quit my naggin (for now)

I do agree that corners were cut in Battlefront 1, but like I said, I don't think it was laziness. They had a strict deadline to get the game done by the release of the Force Awakens, so they didn't have to do stuff like a campaign. Unlike BF2, they had to build everything from the ground up, which would have taken awhile with something as detailed as the frostbite engine.

Another thing people seem to forget is that DICE were working on Battlefield 1 at the same time. They may have stretched themselves too far by trying to work on two games at once.

It's not necessarily an issue of balance for me. Character representation, authenticity and the ability to have accyual lightsaber duels.
  • ROMG4
    2421 posts Member
    ROMG4 wrote: »

what do you mean filmiest
    OOM-9 FOR BATTLEFRONT 2

Darth Maul: "Who is supervising the search for the Gungan cities?" Nute Gunray: "Commander OOM-Nine." Darth Maul: "A droid. The predecessor of your inept B-Ones." Rune Haako: "A superior droid, Lord Maul. Viceroy Gunray's personal guard."
    The OOM-9 Thread
    https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/76756/the-oom-9-thread-9-9-the-phantom-droid/p1
  • bfloo
    14398 posts Member

It's not necessarily an issue of balance for me. Character representation, authenticity and the ability to have accyual lightsaber duels.

With hero health, hero duels look like they'll be faster than Maul v Obi Wan in Rebels.

h846398gb27k.png

With hero health, hero duels look like they'll be faster than Maul v Obi Wan in Rebels.

I think this is better. Should mean duels will be more about blocking than damaging if everyone can block.
    Shinjuku wrote: »

Rey just didn't look especially fun to me. Overall she looked too slow to take on Maul.

The players playing Maul were new to the game also, so that doesn't really apply.

They also said the heroes will be situational at the reveal, so it is intentional.

We'll see how it works out in the beta in a few months. :)

I think Rey's setup is more interesting than Darth Maul's IMO because it suits playing the objectives more (which I really like to do) and how you can use insight to see through walls and ambush the opposition in order to hold your position so you & your team doesn't get pushed back. Also she can step out, block & deflect back blaster fire helping to lock down objectives

It still does apply because I did see some Maul players get defeated by Rey players so it goes both ways. Another key factor that plays a role is whoever is behind the character, some players just have a knack for picking up games quicker.

Only time will tell indeed, we'll see how things play.
    MLtmeEi.png
    " If you're not with me, then you're my enemy."
  • Kavian
    319 posts Member

I think this is better. Should mean duels will be more about blocking than damaging if everyone can block.

yeah the fact that rey, someone who's held a lightsaber for a grand total of six minutes, can beat a trained apprentice of THE EMPEROR IN TWELVE SECONDS by spamming her attack button and literally nothing else upsets me greatly.

yeah the fact that rey, someone who's held a lightsaber for a grand total of six minutes, can beat a trained apprentice of THE EMPEROR IN TWELVE SECONDS by spamming her attack button and literally nothing else upsets me greatly.

Lol, I think it was 4 seconds, some of the times.

• ROMG4
    2421 posts Member
    Seriously your explanation is so horrible it makes me want to rip my eyes out just so I do not have to see it again
    OOM-9 FOR BATTLEFRONT 2

The OOM-9 Thread
  • Kavian
    319 posts Member
    Seriously your explanation is so horrible it makes me want to rip my eyes out just so I do not have to see it again
    explanation of what? hero fights last seconds, maul gets slaughtered and is forced to play in a way that ruins that character, ea has not and will not add block because they don't listen and are afraid he'd be "op". don't rip ur eyes out pls

• ROMG4
    2421 posts Member
    explanation of what? hero fights last seconds, maul gets slaughtered and is forced to play in a way that ruins that character, ea has not and will not add block because they don't listen and are afraid he'd be "op". don't rip ur eyes out pls
    but now that I think about it, the reason is clear. EA is too lazy to animate his block
    Yes, of course! the character they have promoted relentlessly through every single Trailer and had playable in every single Public Game-Play event, doesn't have a block because They were just too lazy to animate his block. but weren't too lazy to give Yoda and Rey a Block for some reason as well as everyone else we know about

But the character they relentlessly campaign and show everywhere doesn't have one because laziness and not any other reason like a unique Character design or something

GG. much sense
    OOM-9 FOR BATTLEFRONT 2

The OOM-9 Thread
    but now that I think about it, the reason is clear. EA is too lazy to animate his block
    Yes, of course! the character they have promoted relentlessly through every single Trailer and had playable in every single Public Game-Play event, doesn't have a block because They were just too lazy to animate his block. but weren't too lazy to give Yoda and Rey a Block for some reason as well as everyone else we know about

But the character they relentlessly campaign and show everywhere doesn't have one because laziness and not any other reason like a unique Character design or something

GG. much sense

I didn't see anything on Yoda blocking.

GG. much sense

thats because those guys all have single blade sabers, mauls block would have to use both sabers and they can't animate that. can you think about anyway they could go about doing it?? even if he spun his saber around alot the center of his saber (his huge hilt) would still be exposed and he couldnt deflect weapons with a high rate of fire.
  • Elusive_DJ
    3141 posts Member
    edited August 2017

GG. much sense

It works just like in Attack of the Clones with his fight against Dooku.
    He absorbs incoming damage with the force & directs it toward the enemy. Acting as a 'block' of sorts.
    Pretty cool eh?
    ⦗ XBOX GT: EIusive DJ⦘~ "The Knights of Gareth are eternal..." ✔
    \⧹If you happen to have ANY ideas for any hero you desire to have in Battlefront 2, Let me know in a DM!⧸/
    How to make Every Hero Viable in Battlefront 2

aakkhwbkosde.gif

• Elusive_DJ
    3141 posts Member
    edited August 2017

GG. much sense

thats because those guys all have single blade sabers, mauls block would have to use both sabers and they can't animate that. can you think about anyway they could go about doing it?? even if he spun his saber around alot the center of his saber (his huge hilt) would still be exposed and he couldnt deflect weapons with a high rate of fire.

Okay where do I start with this one? Do you Really think a light saber block in a videogame cant deflect blaster bolts with high rates of fire? Because in a few star wars games, you could deflect as much blaster fire as you want & it was animated fairly well. Same with EA battlefront. The hilt he has will not affect a block At all. If he's blocking he's just going to block, you will not be able to short circuit his light saber by shooting at his hilt in this game. Its just not going to happen.
    I'm sure a man of Guillaumes talent can manage to make a block for Maul, if Pandemic can do it, Dice can do it.
    In the end, it really doesn't matter how he blocks, he's just gonna block & whatever animation they give him for that will be good.
    ⦗ XBOX GT: EIusive DJ⦘~ "The Knights of Gareth are eternal..." ✔
    \⧹If you happen to have ANY ideas for any hero you desire to have in Battlefront 2, Let me know in a DM!⧸/
    How to make Every Hero Viable in Battlefront 2

aakkhwbkosde.gif

GG. much sense

Ponds main

Officer of The Knights of Gareth
    uruzea55jgr4.png