criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Speed in Starfighter Assault

The Starfighter Assault game mode looks really good. Despite all the criticism it's getting, I think Criterion did a very good job. I only have a small complaint that could easily be changed : I've seen many gameplay videos and find all the ships kinda slow. I think the gameplay would be a lot more dynamic if everyone went a little faster. And it would also allow us to actually manage our speed, since the difference between max speed and minimum speed is actually not that visible.
What do you think ?

Replies

• ^^ same
  • Agreed 100%.

I don't know if each ship had different max speeds, but it would make sense that an A Wing can go much faster than a bomber. Actually, I think they did go much faster...
    Now, I'm unsure...

Anyway, yeah, increase the overall speed a bit and it looks like gold.
    We need a Tier System for the Heroes. It would justify the "op-ness" of Vader over Han and Chewbacca. It would cost much more to unlock Vader, and would require you to save a lot more than for other heroes and vehicles, but it would be rewarding in the end...

"It would essentially ruin the eras and turn them into nothing much more than the same thing and same experience but with a different skin. Which is contrary to the point in having eras in the first place." - ZmanGames
  • SolalC
    28 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Agreed 100%.

I don't know if each ship had different max speeds, but it would make sense that an A Wing can go much faster than a bomber. Actually, I think they did go much faster...
    Now, I'm unsure...

The A-Wings were faster, which is great, it allows for the classes to actually be different. But they were still too slow. And so were the X and Y-Wings.
  • SolalC wrote: »
    Agreed 100%.

Now, I'm unsure...

The A-Wings were faster, which is great, it allows for the classes to actually be different. But they were still too slow. And so were the X and Y-Wings.

Yeah, I just looked it up again, and they were much faster than the bombers and X Wings. But still, they could go faster. Maybe a 30% increase in max speed?
    We need a Tier System for the Heroes. It would justify the "op-ness" of Vader over Han and Chewbacca. It would cost much more to unlock Vader, and would require you to save a lot more than for other heroes and vehicles, but it would be rewarding in the end...

"It would essentially ruin the eras and turn them into nothing much more than the same thing and same experience but with a different skin. Which is contrary to the point in having eras in the first place." - ZmanGames
  • SolalC
    28 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Exactly. The max speed could even be exaggerated since we can always slow down. But this change needs to be made
    Exactly. The max speed could even be exaggerated since we can always slow down. But this change needs to be made

Actually, yeah. They can make it go to "Ludicrous Speed", and only good players will be able to effectively use the ships lol.

Seriously, an increase to the max speed of all ships would definitely help the game mode.

• Alex64
    5796 posts Member
    SolalC wrote: »

Actually, yeah. They can make it go to "Ludicrous Speed", and only good players will be able to effectively use the ships lol.

Seriously, an increase to the max speed of all ships would definitely help the game mode.

95% of the players will crash on the docking bay entrance.
  • Alex64 wrote: »

Then the players just slow down
  • This seems like a really minor thing that many people have noticed. I imagine Criterion will either fix it or has talked about it a lot and believes this is how it should be.
    Alex64 wrote: »

Yea lol. Let people try to be aces and just crash while I'll be the smart one and just slow down because I know I'm not that good.
  • EvazanJr wrote: »
    I imagine Criterion will either fix it or has talked about it a lot and believes this is how it should be.
    Right maybe Criterion just think it's not the right course of action and I would respect that, but I wish they'd just explain it then
  • Alex64
    5796 posts Member
    Alex64 wrote: »

It would be great to move the camera on first person.
    EvazanJr wrote: »
    I imagine Criterion will either fix it or has talked about it a lot and believes this is how it should be.
    Right maybe Criterion just think it's not the right course of action and I would respect that, but I wish they'd just explain it then

Knowing their previous game development history, I'm sure speed is something they haven't overlooked. That doesn't mean it can't still be tweaked, but I'm sure they do indeed have their reasons. For all we know it could be higher ups suggesting a slightly slower speed to appeal more to the casuals.
    #JustSayNoToReyLo
  • Alex64 wrote: »

And I'll be lmao as I skrrrt on by, low-rider style.

• Clone201
    3620 posts Member
    EvazanJr wrote: »

Knowing their previous game development history, I'm sure speed is something they haven't overlooked. That doesn't mean it can't still be tweaked, but I'm sure they do indeed have their reasons. For all we know it could be higher ups suggesting a slightly slower speed to appeal more to the casuals.

The extra speed wouldn't hurt anyone as you still have to slow down in order to get kills consistently and go through tight spaces without crashing. The extra speed is necessary after spawning in and making your way to the other side of the map kinda thing.
    Man! Could this game get any more broken?
  • I agree, overall speed for ships should be higher.
    The Starfighter Assault game mode looks really good. Despite all the criticism it's getting, I think Criterion did a very good job. I only have a small complaint that could easily be changed : I've seen many gameplay videos and find all the ships kinda slow. I think the gameplay would be a lot more dynamic if everyone went a little faster. And it would also allow us to actually manage our speed, since the difference between max speed and minimum speed is actually not that visible.
    What do you think ?

I absolutely agree. At max speed, all the ships are too slow. Even the A-wing and TIE Interceptor. We should have a much better sense of speed. Making all craft perform more closely to how they do in the films and TV series would fix this issue.

It would be good if they adjust the maneuvering sensitivity, too. Ships respond kind of twitchy as it is. Moving at the speeds we're requesting they change it to could be a serious problem if they don't fine tune the maneuvering sensitivity.
    "All wings report in."
  • Alex64
    5796 posts Member
    new-star-wars-tv-spot-shows-the-millennium-falcon-has-a-new-pilot-703195.gif
    ++++++
  • People still need to be able to hit the enemy ships. If everyone went too fast, no one would be able to hit anyone.

• Clone201
    3620 posts Member
    TMachine97 wrote: »
    People still need to be able to hit the enemy ships. If everyone went too fast, no one would be able to hit anyone.

They are just asking for a slight increase in speed, not so much that it would make skilled pilots more difficult to pursue and eliminate.

You also have heavy aim assist when you crosshair is pointed to the visual location of your enemy, so It wouldn't hurt much either way.
    Man! Could this game get any more broken?
  • Alex64
    5796 posts Member
    Did anyone note there's an empty slot when you choose a starfighter?