criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Changes that could be made for Starfighter Assault

SolalC
28 posts Member
edited August 2017
I started making small threads but I'm just going to make a big one with all I think could be changed :
- Speed : all the ships seem kinda slow. It's good that they all have different speeds, but the gameplay would be a lot more dynamic if everyone went a little faster. The max speed could even be exaggerated since we can always slow down
- Silent pilots : the pilots never make comments in the game, whereas they're always talking in the films. A "I need help" when being shot at would improve immersion. There could even be a mechanic where the game asks you to record your voice saying the comments and play them for your teammates at the right moment.
- Shields for X-Wings : it is a canonical fact that X-Wings have shields and Tie Fighters don't. EA shouldn't follow canon when it is a downgrade for the gameplay (I actually agree with cross era), but this would bring diversity to the ships.
- Y-Wings' torpedoes : I'm not sure about this one. In the game, the Y-Wings' torpedoes act the same way as the other ships'. In the movies, they seem to fall from the Y-Wings. Now this actually doesn't make much sense since there is no gravity in space, but maybe they're just attracted to the gravity of the capital ships. This would be a hard mechanism to implement to the game, and it would mean shooting torpedoes at small ships would be impossible (which, actually, wouldn't be so bad), but I would like to see something resembling this since it would feel more close to the movies. Having said that I don't blame Criterion if they don't make it.
- Reinforcements : I guess it's a little late for this. But Corvets are an example of reinforcements that could be used in the mode.

Replies

• SolalC wrote: »
    I started making small threads but I'm just going to make a big one with all I think could be changed :
    - Speed : all the ships seem kinda slow. It's good that they all have different speeds, but the gameplay would be a lot more dynamic if everyone went a little faster. The max speed could even be exaggerated since we can always slow down
    - Silent pilots : the pilots never make comments in the game, whereas they're always talking in the films. A "I need help" when being shot at would improve immersion. There could even be a mechanic where the game asks you to record your voice saying the comments and play them for your teammates at the right moment.
    - Shields for X-Wings : it is a canonical fact that X-Wings have shields and Tie Fighters don't. EA shouldn't follow canon when it is a downgrade for the gameplay (I actually agree with cross era), but this would bring diversity to the ships.
    - Y-Wings' torpedoes : I'm not sure about this one. In the game, the Y-Wings' torpedoes act the same way as the other ships'. In the movies, they seem to fall from the Y-Wings. Now this actually doesn't make much sense since there is no gravity in space, but maybe they're just attracted to the gravity of the capital ships. This would be a hard mechanism to implement to the game, and it would mean shooting torpedoes at small ships would be impossible (which, actually, wouldn't be so bad), but I would like to see something resembling this since it would feel more close to the movies. Having said that I don't blame Criterion if they don't make it.
    - Reinforcements : I guess it's a little late for this. But Corvets are an example of reinforcements that could be used in the mode.

1: I agree, but they'd have to be careful and not make them too fast or it'll be no fun because you won't be able to hit anyone.

2: This was a pre-Alpha build. There's likely to be radio chatter in the full game.

3: They do have shields, but they work differently from the last game. Next to the X-Wing's health at there's a blue bar that represents the shields. When you take damage, the bar depletes, and then your health depletes. I'm pretty sure the shield returns after a bit.

4: Not a huge deal for me. They have to work as dogfighting ships as well so it make sense for them to shoot ahead instead of just down.

5: There's likely gonna be more reinforcements in the full game. Not sure if the corvette's are likely to be reinforcements though.

• HTH52
    56 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    About the torpedoes, they are Proton torpedoes, thats why they behave like what the Xwings are using- they are the same. What we see dropping in the movies, like Rogue One, are proton and Ion bombs (what disables the ISD).
  • Alex64
    5891 posts Member
    And also be able to control the camera(Right analog stick)
  • agree on the speed, it was the same in fighter squadron though.. but you could get the speed boost pick up, which was and is the first thing i do. i use it constantly once i have it, not only because its more fun but because you are a much harder target to hit. its the only way to avoid getting killed by B-wings and Y-wings, the use of speed. ive only seen some footage so far of starfighter assault, is there gonna be speed boost pick ups or?? my other query with what ive seen so far is that i dont llike that youre not able to lock on to the target, im confused to why people are happy that this has gone!? it was fun to cross paths with someone and in that split second you could target lock on and take them out depending on what ship you were in.
  • banner wrote: »
    agree on the speed, it was the same in fighter squadron though.. but you could get the speed boost pick up, which was and is the first thing i do. i use it constantly once i have it, not only because its more fun but because you are a much harder target to hit. its the only way to avoid getting killed by B-wings and Y-wings, the use of speed. ive only seen some footage so far of starfighter assault, is there gonna be speed boost pick ups or?? my other query with what ive seen so far is that i dont llike that youre not able to lock on to the target, im confused to why people are happy that this has gone!? it was fun to cross paths with someone and in that split second you could target lock on and take them out depending on what ship you were in.

Well you can lock on, but only for proton torpedoes and concussion missiles. Just like the Originals
    442nd And 332nd are the BEST
  • Well you can lock on, but only for proton torpedoes and concussion missiles. Just like the Originals[/quote]

yeah but it looks like it takes a min to fully lock on? or am i wrong there? you could do it in the blink of an eye in the first one. when two ships were trying to evade and get the other in sight at the same time, you were able to lock on in the mini second you'd cross paths, with one of you taking the other out. doesnt look like you will be able to do that in this one. to me from what i can see so far some of the excitement has been taken away in that respect.

• banner wrote: »
    agree on the speed, it was the same in fighter squadron though.. but you could get the speed boost pick up, which was and is the first thing i do. i use it constantly once i have it, not only because its more fun but because you are a much harder target to hit. its the only way to avoid getting killed by B-wings and Y-wings, the use of speed. ive only seen some footage so far of starfighter assault, is there gonna be speed boost pick ups or?? my other query with what ive seen so far is that i dont llike that youre not able to lock on to the target, im confused to why people are happy that this has gone!? it was fun to cross paths with someone and in that split second you could target lock on and take them out depending on what ship you were in.
    It's not as authentic/canonical but it is much better for gameplay purposes.
  • Danxoln
    2473 posts Member
    SolalC wrote: »

I think it's fine where it's at