criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Gamescom 2019 Triple XP
Community Transmission

Why we are getting cross era heroes...for now...

Danxoln
2473 posts Member
I honestly don't think it's here to stay. Remember helmetless stormtroopers? That was a frantic attempt to allow for more customization. I honestly think they simply don't have enough heroes ready for launch (surprise surprise) so yes, at launch yes we will have cross era so there will be enough heroes in each game. But after a few seasons I bet it'll go away.

Replies

• You could be right. I suspected this, but I'm not 100% sure about it
  • Lack of heroes. You nailed it
  • Lack of heroes is the most logical explanation and, honestly, I wouldn't blame DICE for it. If anyone's to blame it's DICE/Lucasfilm who are wanting this game released in time for the next saga film to build hype. Even though it's been 2 years since the first game was released, they haven't had 2 years to work on the next game when you consider they were still doing work on the Scarif DLC right up until its release in December of last year. This means that Guillaume, the lead character designer for DICE, has had less than a year to develop at least 12 new characters (6 per new era, 3 per side), and even with the bigger team he has now that's still a lot to do.
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    My Concepts
    Clone Skin Changes | Clone Customisation & Menu | Empire Customisation & Menu
  • YouKnowWhoIAm
    114 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    they haven't had 2 years to work on the next game when you consider they were still doing work on the Scarif DLC right up until its release in December of last year. This means that Guillaume, the lead character designer for DICE, has had less than a year to develop at least 12 new characters (6 per new era, 3 per side), and even with the bigger team he has now that's still a lot to do.

This statement is just purely wrong.
  • It's still being rushed to release. It may not suffer like the last game did because of this, but I'm thinking it will have shortcomings because of EA
  • I also think a general lack of Heroes is part of the issue. The Helmetless trooper debacle is indeed a good example from the last game.

Keep this in mind though, with things like hero ships in particular, it may be a while before they have enough for each era, the Sequel era in particular.
    #JustSayNoToReyLo
  • Lack of heroes is the most logical explanation and, honestly, I wouldn't blame DICE for it. If anyone's to blame it's DICE/Lucasfilm who are wanting this game released in time for the next saga film to build hype. Even though it's been 2 years since the first game was released, they haven't had 2 years to work on the next game when you consider they were still doing work on the Scarif DLC right up until its release in December of last year. This means that Guillaume, the lead character designer for DICE, has had less than a year to develop at least 12 new characters (6 per new era, 3 per side), and even with the bigger team he has now that's still a lot to do.

You realize they're is 3 separate teams working on this game right? One for Starfighters, one for ground and one for the campaign. The scarif dlc likely didn't require a huge amount people and probably didn't take as long as you think.

The rest would have still been working on this game and considering they plan on reusing every asset from the first game with minor tweaks, that's a significant amount of the workload already done content wise. Plus you would be amazed how much work game studios can get done in a few months let alone 2 years especially in the crunch time leading up to the games prep for launch.

• I believe they may have been using the cross era heroes for purposes to build up hype for the new characters. Rey is one of the biggest characters in Star Wars right now, and the main character of the new film trilogy. Darth Maul just because, well, he's Maul. I still don't quite get why Han and Boba were chosen though, but they both have been very nicely revamped for this game. But anyways, even if cross era heroes are still present in the game's launch, I wouldn't mind it too much. It's actually grown on me.
    In my book, experience outranks everything.
  • they haven't had 2 years to work on the next game when you consider they were still doing work on the Scarif DLC right up until its release in December of last year. This means that Guillaume, the lead character designer for DICE, has had less than a year to develop at least 12 new characters (6 per new era, 3 per side), and even with the bigger team he has now that's still a lot to do.

Why is that?
    Lack of heroes is the most logical explanation and, honestly, I wouldn't blame DICE for it. If anyone's to blame it's DICE/Lucasfilm who are wanting this game released in time for the next saga film to build hype. Even though it's been 2 years since the first game was released, they haven't had 2 years to work on the next game when you consider they were still doing work on the Scarif DLC right up until its release in December of last year. This means that Guillaume, the lead character designer for DICE, has had less than a year to develop at least 12 new characters (6 per new era, 3 per side), and even with the bigger team he has now that's still a lot to do.

You realize they're is 3 separate teams working on this game right? One for Starfighters, one for ground and one for the campaign.
    So only just one team worked on the ground heroes. DICE, which also worked on the last game simultaneously.
    Lack of heroes is the most logical explanation and, honestly, I wouldn't blame DICE for it. If anyone's to blame it's DICE/Lucasfilm who are wanting this game released in time for the next saga film to build hype. Even though it's been 2 years since the first game was released, they haven't had 2 years to work on the next game when you consider they were still doing work on the Scarif DLC right up until its release in December of last year. This means that Guillaume, the lead character designer for DICE, has had less than a year to develop at least 12 new characters (6 per new era, 3 per side), and even with the bigger team he has now that's still a lot to do.

The scarif dlc likely didn't require a huge amount people and probably didn't take as long as you think.

It presented us two new heroes, so I assume they were in the main focus during that time.
    Battlefront II has a 45.8% chance of success.
    sfg04pfx1l31.gif
  • they haven't had 2 years to work on the next game when you consider they were still doing work on the Scarif DLC right up until its release in December of last year. This means that Guillaume, the lead character designer for DICE, has had less than a year to develop at least 12 new characters (6 per new era, 3 per side), and even with the bigger team he has now that's still a lot to do.

Explain.

You realize they're is 3 separate teams working on this game right? One for Starfighters, one for ground and one for the campaign. The scarif dlc likely didn't require a huge amount people and probably didn't take as long as you think.

The rest would have still been working on this game and considering they plan on reusing every asset from the first game with minor tweaks, that's a significant amount of the workload already done content wise. Plus you would be amazed how much work game studios can get done in a few months let alone 2 years especially in the crunch time leading up to the games prep for launch.

But only one of those teams works on the multiplayer and that's DICE. They're the ones who develop the models for the maps, weapons, vehicles, and of the heroes. They're also the ones responsible for developing the movements and abilities of each of the heroes, and Guillaume Mroz's job as the hero designer meant he did the character models on the previous game and he did it predominantly by himself. Over the course of those years, from early development to the Scarif DLC he made 14 hero characters, and now he's been given just under a year to develop a lot of new ones as well as tweak the previous ones. He's apparently got himself a team now to lessen the load, but it's still a lot of work developing all these heroes.
    We saw on the previous game that the devs were struggling to keep up with the deadlines with many of them taking to Twitter to explain how they were working long days and even taking work home with them at nights and on the weekend. They were a small team then and they've grown a bit for this game, but DICE is still the sole developer for all things multipayer and given the struggles they had before with development timeframes, it's easy to see why this game is likely to have very few heroes at launch, something that the previous game was heavily criticised for.
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    My Concepts
  • You really believe the DLC had most of DICE sweeden team?

Youre seriously deluded if you think so, 90% of the team moved on for new games after jakku, that was clear just by looking at their twitter, guillaume, a simple hero designer, was desining all heroes alone, paul keslin, a simple producer, was the only producer in the game. i guess this says enough ... @meshugene89
  • I'm not sure if forcing the game to release with the movies is the best decision tbh, it was Battlefront 2015's ultimate downfall.
    A thousand generations live in you now, but this is your fight.
    mbetxwnmm1qiioixt6xy.gif
  • Danxoln
    2473 posts Member
    I'm not sure if forcing the game to release with the movies is the best decision tbh, it was Battlefront 2015's ultimate downfall.

Yes hopefully not this game too. I'm really hoping the free seasons will save it.
  • Danxoln wrote: »
    I'm not sure if forcing the game to release with the movies is the best decision tbh, it was Battlefront 2015's ultimate downfall.

Yes hopefully not this game too. I'm really hoping the free seasons will save it.
    Although, they might be porting most if not all the content from Battlefront 2015, so I think this game will be great at launch.
    A thousand generations live in you now, but this is your fight.
    mbetxwnmm1qiioixt6xy.gif
  • I don't know why this is such a big deal. In the first game you could use heroes and fight against other heroes in the game who never had a fight in any of the movies. Who wouldn't want to use Darth Maul against a hero from another era like Rey?? It sounds like fun to me.
  • Danxoln
    2473 posts Member
    I don't know why this is such a big deal. In the first game you could use heroes and fight against other heroes in the game who never had a fight in any of the movies. Who wouldn't want to use Darth Maul against a hero from another era like Rey?? It sounds like fun to me.

The reason it's a big deal is because on one hand they (EA DICE Lucasfilm, etc) say how authentic the game needs to be. Example: "how dare you guys want Anakin, it wouldn't be authentic if he went up against Vader" then on the other hand we have Rey vs Maul. If they are so obsessed with authenticity then they should at least keep heroes in their correct era.
  • I don't know why this is such a big deal. In the first game you could use heroes and fight against other heroes in the game who never had a fight in any of the movies. Who wouldn't want to use Darth Maul against a hero from another era like Rey?? It sounds like fun to me.

The difference is that these were heroes from the same time period. Yes, Krennic wasn't around during the battle of Hoth, but he was present within the GCW time period so seeing him fighting alongside Stormtroopers against Rebels isn't that far-fetched. But seeing Yoda do the Death Star trench run or Finn fighting with Clones on Naboo is completely out of place and a step too far where immersion is concerned.
    My Concepts
  • i will be salty FOREVER if cross era was implemented and never changed. I'd just play offline most of the time then if this were the case. it ruins the star wars feel to it and makes it just another online multiplayer, takes the magic out of star wars, might as well be another COD.

Explain.

But only one of those teams works on the multiplayer and that's DICE. They're the ones who develop the models for the maps, weapons, vehicles, and of the heroes. They're also the ones responsible for developing the movements and abilities of each of the heroes, and Guillaume Mroz's job as the hero designer meant he did the character models on the previous game and he did it predominantly by himself. Over the course of those years, from early development to the Scarif DLC he made 14 hero characters, and now he's been given just under a year to develop a lot of new ones as well as tweak the previous ones. He's apparently got himself a team now to lessen the load, but it's still a lot of work developing all these heroes.
    We saw on the previous game that the devs were struggling to keep up with the deadlines with many of them taking to Twitter to explain how they were working long days and even taking work home with them at nights and on the weekend. They were a small team then and they've grown a bit for this game, but DICE is still the sole developer for all things multipayer and given the struggles they had before with development timeframes, it's easy to see why this game is likely to have very few heroes at launch, something that the previous game was heavily criticised for.
    they haven't had 2 years to work on the next game when you consider they were still doing work on the Scarif DLC right up until its release in December of last year. This means that Guillaume, the lead character designer for DICE, has had less than a year to develop at least 12 new characters (6 per new era, 3 per side), and even with the bigger team he has now that's still a lot to do.

Explain.

Please don't say under a year like they didn't start working on this game till the Scarif DLC came out, that is absolutely absurd. You're also making it sound like you believe that the dlcs weren't being worked on at all until the previous dlc was released which is also an absurd notion.

Game designers work long hours its part of the job especially in crunchtime, which everyone can appreciate so its hardly news. Like you said he has a team now so if they managed it before it's even easier now.

Explain.

Explain.

Please don't say under a year like they didn't start working on this game till the Scarif DLC came out, that is absolutely absurd. You're also making it sound like you believe that the dlcs weren't being worked on at all until the previous dlc was released which is also an absurd notion.

Game designers work long hours its part of the job especially in crunchtime, which everyone can appreciate so its hardly news. Like you said he has a team now so if they managed it before it's even easier now.

Under a year for the lion's share of the work. I've played and followed other games where it's been well known that the devs split their studio up and have some of them work on the DLC and the rest start work on the next game in that series or ona another project. I suspect this is how DICE did it as well, but that's still means they didn't have a full team working on this game for the whole 2 years since the release of the first one.
    Also, the DLCs were being worked on one after another. We saw this when we had people like Guillaume Mroz and Christian Johannesén take to Twitter to talk about how they'd just wrapped up their work on the Bespin DLC or Death Star DLC a week or so before its release, and then go on to say that they were moving on the next DLC. So they did do it one at a time. It's why there were so many bugs every time a new DLC was released that would mostly be patched by the time it was available to non-season pass holders, because they were developing them within a very short window.
    Guillaume may now have a team helping him out but as the Lead Hero Designer, his work didn't really start until he finished the Scarif DLC and, as I said earlier, this game should have had about 12 new heroes, at most, at launch. However, the fact that we're not getting Finn and Phasma at launch is a clear indication they haven't managed this because these are 2 characters most people would have pegged as being shoe-ins for heroes at launch. Which means that unless the NT will have Poe and Hux as ground battle heroes, we're only going to have 1 per side and that most certainly shouldn't have happened if they'd had more time.
    My Concepts
  • I've been saying this as well...it's definitely lack of content. People need to keep in mind those 'miners' haven't been wrong yet, not once. Phasma was in those files but won't be playable at release. Expect light hero content at launch.
    Knights of Gareth
    XBL- JsOnMyFett 13
  • Not only do I expect light hero content at launch, I look forward to it. These forums are going to blow up like Jedha :D
  • mastery0ta wrote: »
    Not only do I expect light hero content at launch, I look forward to it. These forums are going to blow up like Jedha :D

Not if I can help it
    The greatest moderator that EA has ever had.