criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Gamescom 2019 Triple XP
Community Transmission

True importance of switching hands while you change the shoulder camera

This thread it's an extension of my last thread "Idea for a more realistic game"
But I have discovered that the game is as realistic as it should be, but is a disadvantage to not have this because who is taking cover at the left will always win over someone that is taking cover on the right
Here is a video to explain it
( https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=em-upload_owner&v=gl8_FJ3RoAU )
In other situations, it would have you killed
Think about it and comment down below

Replies

• It wouldn't make much sense. I'm not a soldier, but if you were right-handed, would you really swap hands when taking cover? I'm sure it'd affect your accuracy, so no, I don't think it's more realistic.

• TMachine97 wrote: »
    It wouldn't make much sense. I'm not a soldier, but if you were right-handed, would you really swap hands when taking cover? I'm sure it'd affect your accuracy, so no, I don't think it's more realistic.

In the actual game, it does, and it needs to be implemented because if you're taking cover on the right you will have to get exposed to fire
  • Alex64
    7437 posts Member
    Listen, i just want to grab my TL-50 and start shooting, it's an unnecessary thing, IMO.
    The kind mixed with the wicked, the will to fight until the end, I'm not your enemy or friend.
  • koldovi2013
    453 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Alex64 wrote: »
    Listen, i just want to grab my TL-50 and start shooting, it's an unnecessary thing, IMO.
    But if you're taking cover on the right you won't fire so much before you get killed
  • Alex64 wrote: »
    But if you're taking cover on the left you won't fire so much before you get killed

Maybe that's a good thing. People shouldn't be able to get kills while hiding behind cover all the time.

But if you're taking cover on the left you won't fire so much before you get killed

Maybe that's a good thing. People shouldn't be able to get kills while hiding behind cover all the time.

But if everyone gets this, it will be balanced
  • Alex64
    7437 posts Member

On each view (1st/3rd person) the center of each sight is on shoulders, you just need to switch between shoulders(left/Right)
    The kind mixed with the wicked, the will to fight until the end, I'm not your enemy or friend.

It already is balanced. As everyone can fire easily from cover on the left, but not the right.

TMachine97 wrote: »

It already is balanced. As everyone can fire easily from cover on the left, but not the right.

But if you're in the right is easy to fire from there than change your position to the left

On each view (1st/3rd person) the center of each sight is on shoulders, you just need to switch between shoulders(left/Right)

But that doesn't change that firing from the right makes you to get exposed,
    Did I understand?
  • Alex64
    7437 posts Member

Did I understand?
    Yes, but there's a problem here and it's called "cornerpeeking".

Did I understand?

And what do you recommend to implement my idea solving that problem?

Did I understand?
    And the "corner peeking" is already here when you are taking cover on the left
  • Alex64
    7437 posts Member
    The only solution to the cornerpeeking problem, it's to zoom camera as you approach to the cover wall, so you won't be able to take a peek from the cover.
    This represent a big change and effort to do, that i don't think they would have time or will to make it.
    The only solution to the cornerpeeking problem, it's to zoom camera as you approach to the cover wall, so you won't be able to take a peek from the cover.
    This represent a big change and effort to do, that i don't think they would have time or will to make it.

That's a good idea, Why don't we keep asking for it?
  • I think everyone in Star Wars is tight handed because it is most efficient in society if everyone can use the same equipment in the exact same way.

I understand your point about cover being better on the left but just keep that just adds more skill to planning. It's this way in all games and it is just emphasized since some players play In 3rd person and don't switch shoulders at all.
  • EvazanJr wrote: »
    I think everyone in Star Wars is tight handed because it is most efficient in society if everyone can use the same equipment in the exact same way.

I understand your point about cover being better on the left but just keep that just adds more skill to planning. It's this way in all games and it is just emphasized since some players play In 3rd person and don't switch shoulders at all.

Yes, and I think because everyone are trained soldiers can use both hands, but I don't know why it adds more skill because it's more like a secret that nobody know or matters
  • The way I look at it is the only factions that would possibly have issues with switching hands is the Rebels and Resistance.

Droids would have no issues and Clones, Stormtroopers and First order would all be trained to be able to use weapons any way they can. In fact, as I recall the Clones and Stormtroopers in the movies seemed to be almost exclusively left handed

Even then almost none of the blaster I've seen in any star wars media show any indication that they are specifically designed for right handed people except for the occasional blaster with a side magazine
  • The way I look at it is the only factions that would possibly have issues with switching hands is the Rebels and Resistance.

Droids would have no issues and Clones, Stormtroopers and First order would all be trained to be able to use weapons any way they can. In fact, as I recall the Clones and Stormtroopers in the movies seemed to be almost exclusively left handed

Even then almost none of the blaster I've seen in any star wars media show any indication that they are specifically designed for right handed people except for the occasional blaster with a side magazine

Yes, me too, but the rebels and the resistance can fight with the empire and the first order so they should have a similar training and a lot of them are veterans
  • Clone201
    3750 posts Member
    The problem you listed is the main flaw of 3rd person anyway, the gun doesn't actually point the gun to what you are really aiming at.

Both 1P & 3P have pros & cons. You want 3P to seem more OP? People already extensively corner camping with that mess.
    I use 3P exclusively, but my point still stands.
    Man! Could this game get any more broken?
  • Clone201 wrote: »
    The problem you listed is the main flaw of 3rd person anyway, the gun doesn't actually point the gun to what you are really aiming at.

Both 1P & 3P have pros & cons. You want 3P to seem more OP? People already extensively corner camping with that mess.
    Thank you.

In order for it to be worth fully supporting both 1st and 3rd person they need to be balanced.
  • bfloo
    15529 posts Member
    Clone201 wrote: »

Corner camping in Battlefront wasn't that bad compared to other games that are only fps. CoD might be the worst for it, that I've played.

If anything, the minimap was the issue, not the 3rd person view.

I'd watch people run all the way across the map, walk the last 5 feet, yet they wonder why someone was on the other side of the doorway ready to blast away. I would wait when I saw the map lighting up from a flank, and blast away with the scatter gun once the door opened.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• bfloo wrote: »

Corner camping in Battlefront wasn't that bad compared to other games that are only fps. CoD might be the worst for it, that I've played.

I'd watch people run all the way across the map, walk the last 5 feet, yet they wonder why someone was on the other side of the doorway ready to blast away. I would wait when I saw the map lighting up from a flank, and blast away with the scatter gun once the door opened.
    I have multiple scenarios (some recorded) where people blantly wait behind cover and pop out right when I'm in range
  • bfloo
    15529 posts Member
    EvazanJr wrote: »
    bfloo wrote: »

I have multiple scenarios (some recorded) where people blantly wait behind cover and pop out right when I'm in range

I'm not saying it never happened, but it wasn't nearly as bad as in other games.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• Not trying to be a ***** OP, but no. I've shot guns before as many people have, and you don't switch your hands when shooting. It just doesn't make sense.
  • FettForMVP wrote: »
    Not trying to be a ***** OP, but no. I've shot guns before as many people have, and you don't switch your hands when shooting. It just doesn't make sense.

Thats fine in real life but this is a game and making 50% of the cover useless really takes away from the game
    Not trying to be a ***** OP, but no. I've shot guns before as many people have, and you don't switch your hands when shooting. It just doesn't make sense.

It's because when you're taking cover on the right you have to get exposed to fire correctly without switching hand
  • I like the "lean left" or "lean right" thing they do when you're in cover in Battlefield 1. I wouldn't mind that since I play in first person. So I guess I have little comment when it comes to switching hands. I think most casual people now don't even know about holding down on the d-pad to switch shoulders.
    "I'm Luke Skywalker. I'm here to rescue you!"
  • I like the "lean left" or "lean right" thing they do when you're in cover in Battlefield 1. I wouldn't mind that since I play in first person. So I guess I have little comment when it comes to switching hands. I think most casual people now don't even know about holding down on the d-pad to switch shoulders.

Good point, but I play in third person so it matters for me
  • I hope you get what works for ya!
    "I'm Luke Skywalker. I'm here to rescue you!"
  • I hope you get what works for ya!
    Thank you man!
  • My idea applies too for lightsaber heroes but I don't know how it should work, what do you think?

Thats fine in real life but this is a game and making 50% of the cover useless really takes away from the game

What do you mean? I don't catch you

@koldovi2013
    I can for example somewhat lean out of cover if my right side is oriented to it. If I can't switch, cover to the left of me requires that I completely expose myself before I'm able to fire.

@koldovi2013
    I can for example somewhat lean out of cover if my right side is oriented to it. If I can't switch, cover to the left of me requires that I completely expose myself before I'm able to fire.

Yes, but if you switch you will get less exposed but not as in if you're taking cover on your right
    Am I right?
  • In my last discussion we had the idea of an option for lefties, What do you think?

@koldovi2013
    I can for example somewhat lean out of cover if My right side is closest to it. If I can't switch to left hand then and cover to the left of me requires that I completely expose myself before I'm able to fire
    FettForMVP wrote: »

@koldovi2013

Yes, but if you switch you will get less exposed but not as in if you're taking cover on your right
    Am I right?

Exactly

@koldovi2013
    I can for example somewhat lean out of cover if My right side is closest to it. If I can't switch to left hand then and cover to the left of me requires that I completely expose myself before I'm able to fire

@koldovi2013

Am I right?

So you want my idea to be implemented?

@koldovi2013

@koldovi2013

Am I right?

Exactly

So do you want my idea to be emplemented too?

@koldovi2013

@koldovi2013

Am I right?

Exactly

So do you want my idea to be emplemented too?

Yeah
  • Who else is with me!?