criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Felucia Transmission
No Match for a Good Blaster

(Hear me out) Kanan Jarrus’s Hero Concept, also a thank you to the Dev’s.

Prev134
Elusive_DJ
3141 posts Member
edited August 2017
Since I didn't want to ruin someones amazing thread I thought I'd just chime my 2 cents in right here.
Alright I know I'm a huge Kanan Jarrus fanboy but hear me out for a sec okay? Let's just put our bias against the rebels series aside & actually have a nice conversation about this character & his inclusion in battlefront 2 as a playable Hero in the Galactic Civil War.

I'll quote this from another thread:
DeFaLt17 wrote: »
Ability Gun slinger / Cowboy Jedi: Kanan can switch between his blaster (DL-18 pistol) & lightsaber at will. depending on whether you used the heightened sense, you can use both weapons simultaneously. Albeit at the cost of a 20 second cool down for the ability.

Ability Enhanced deflection/defense OR The Best Defense: Kanan deflects all blaster fire directly at the opponents general direction from all angles making him a tank of sorts for 4 seconds. He can also parry several light saber attacks at once. Depending on how much damage he's blocking, the ability will immediately shut down once a certain amount of damage has been tanked. His primary attacks diminish greatly while the ability is active.

If he has his blaster out then the laser bolts will sort of aim themselves at the enemy. (Maybe the sense ability makes this happen?)

Ability / (Maybe a Trait or Passive?) Heightened Senses: (This ability works like the Mighty Roar ability that Chewie had] Kanan uses the force to have his cooldowns decreased and make his powers become stronger & more apparent. The concussion effect of Boba Fett's flash bang is decreased on Kanan while this ability is active as he's literally blind & can see through it sort of with this ability. (Watch out Bounty hunters! Kanan's coming for you )

Ability Disarming Strike: Kanan unleashes hard hitting but very VERY slow lightsaber strikes at his opponent for 5 seconds. If he uses his blaster then it'll work like Jyns blaster pistol from battlefront 2015, Very slow but very good.

If you play your cards right, these abilities can be used in tandem with one another [Sort of like Chewies Roar back in the death star DLC] & make Kanan a worthy adversary for the likes of Maul or any other hard hitting villain (I'm lookin at you Grievous & Kylo!). Although if you use the all the abilities at once or to much then the cool downs will get longer, like 20 seconds to 23 seconds & so on. The cool downs go back to normal if you haven't used one of them for a certain amount of time.

Please Guillaume if your reading this, make this happen or at the very least take it into consideration. I loved the hero combat in battlefront 2015 (In fact it was my favorite part of the game!) & I'll love it again in the next one.
You guys are doing star wars battlefront justice with all of these amazing heroes, maps that look authentic to the movies & that's absolutely astounding. ~ Sincerely, Defalt. "Ayy wheres Mace at?"

Thanks for reading. This stuff might sound a bit OP but I trust in Guillaume balancing skills to make it work. I hope to see other members of Phoenix squadron some day.
Hey maybe Kanan gives his allies & crew of the Ghost small little buffs ;)
⦗ XBOX GT: EIusive DJ⦘~ "The Knights of Gareth are eternal..." ✔
\⧹If you happen to have ANY ideas for any hero you desire to have in Battlefront 2, Let me know in a DM!⧸/
How to make Every Hero Viable in Battlefront 2

aakkhwbkosde.gif

Replies

• Elusive_DJ
    3141 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    I'll also quote this balance suggestion:

I like the Blaster-Saber hybrid idea.

Although Enhanced Deflection makes more sense for Obi-Wan than Kanan.

I think a Vision Pulse + Damage Resistance bonus for a second seconds would make more sense. The logic being that Kanan goes on the defense (hence why he can tank more damage) and uses the Force to find his enemies.
    \⧹If you happen to have ANY ideas for any hero you desire to have in Battlefront 2, Let me know in a DM!⧸/

aakkhwbkosde.gif

• Thank the devs? Thank me, I technically gave you the idea of this thread. :D
    Your journey nears its end.
    fg4b6t2kcplam2qmfrnt.gif
  • Thank the devs? Thank me, I technically gave you the idea of this thread. :D

Oh yeah you did lol. I do appreciate you asking me of his abilities, otherwise I probably wouldn't have made this thread.

aakkhwbkosde.gif

• DeFaLt17 wrote: »
    Thank the devs? Thank me, I technically gave you the idea of this thread. :D

Oh yeah you did lol. I do appreciate you asking me of his abilities, otherwise I probably wouldn't have made this thread.
    And hopefully this thread gains popularity as well, there's bound to be someone arguing that no Rebels content should be in BF2.
    fg4b6t2kcplam2qmfrnt.gif

And hopefully this thread gains popularity as well, there's bound to be someone arguing that no Rebels content should be in BF2.

I'm just glad I made it, I really want one of the developers to see this. Even if he isn't going to be in the game it'll be good just having the thought cross their minds.

aakkhwbkosde.gif

I'm just glad I made it, I really want one of the developers to see this. Even if he isn't going to be in the game it'll be good just having the thought cross their minds.
    Post this on Reddit maybe? It could get more attention there, thus a higher possibility for devs to see it.
    fg4b6t2kcplam2qmfrnt.gif

Post this on Reddit maybe? It could get more attention there, thus a higher possibility for devs to see it.

Alright I'll give it a try.

aakkhwbkosde.gif

do-or-do-not-there-is-no-try-gif-9.gif
    fg4b6t2kcplam2qmfrnt.gif
  • Elusive_DJ
    3141 posts Member
    edited August 2017

giphy.gif

aakkhwbkosde.gif

giphy.gif
    I don't know why, but I just love Kanan's facial expression in that scene. :D
    fg4b6t2kcplam2qmfrnt.gif

giphy.gif
    I don't know why, but I just love Kanan's facial expression in that scene. :D

Yeah the animators did a nice job on his face, such a handsome face XD

aakkhwbkosde.gif

• i want kanan, ezra, zeb and sabine to be in the game so bad breh i would kill a youngling for it.
  • kylenpain wrote: »
    i want kanan, ezra, zeb and sabine to be in the game so bad breh i would kill a youngling for it.

I'd donate an organ to have those characters in the game.

aakkhwbkosde.gif

kylenpain wrote: »
    i want kanan, ezra, zeb and sabine to be in the game so bad breh i would kill a youngling for it.

Well Obi-Wan shot my heart, so I'd love yours.
    fg4b6t2kcplam2qmfrnt.gif

id kill my father for hera/ghost to be a hero ship

Well Obi-Wan shot my heart, so I'd love yours.

lmfaooooo +2
  • This got dark real quick.

aakkhwbkosde.gif

• Cad_Bane
    6252 posts Member
    This got dark real quick.

Yeah I think I'm just going to leave this thread now
    tumblr_o17uvvCcyr1v4oqwxo1_400.gif
  • Elusive_DJ
    3141 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Cad_Bane wrote: »
    This got dark real quick.

Yeah I think I'm just going to leave this thread now

Fair enough
    Post edited by Elusive_DJ on

aakkhwbkosde.gif

• Okay, I want you guys to know that I mean well with this but.. Enough with the memes!
    I'd like every other comment to have there own opinions, thoughts & ideas to add on to the subject of the thread.

aakkhwbkosde.gif

• The Ghost crew is a must for me. The inclusion of Rebels characters could stop the GCW from feeling stale hero-wise as we got most of the OT characters in the last game. At the moment I have no desire to play the GCW when BFII comes out, but if Rebels characters are included, it'll be one of the first things I do.

• TMachine97 wrote: »
    The Ghost crew is a must for me. The inclusion of Rebels characters could stop the GCW from feeling stale hero-wise as we got most of the OT characters in the last game. At the moment I have no desire to play the GCW when BFII comes out, but if Rebels characters are included, it'll be one of the first things I do.

Yeah I've had over a thousand hours in the last game & honestly I'm getting kind of sick of playing in that era. Not entirely but I'm getting there. I do hope they spice it up with some rebels content though, they're already doing ships, guns / gadgets. All that's left now is to make the reinforcements & heroes.

aakkhwbkosde.gif

• @AzelfandQuilava
    In regard to your suggestion about Kanan's defensive capabilities. There will be heroes that may have the same kind of ability like Vader & Maul with the saber toss & force choke, but they're different in how they actually play out in game. Kanan's deflection / defense ability may be similar to how Obi-wans block ability works, but plays out differently in some way.
    And also, I feel he kind of has to have a blocking ability due to the over emphasis of his deflection capabilities in the Rebels show. He's almost never on the attack with his light saber, & when he is its very brief. In fact I think he only stabbed one storm trooper in the entirety of the show. (And that wasn't even shown, it was heavily implied.)

Although in the comics he went berserk on a squad of storm troopers cutting them all in half mercilessly one time, but again it was very short lived. Kanan is almost always on the defense with his lightsaber & honestly its just apart of his character, evident from Ezra saying "Kanan said fighting was a last resort not a first".

You know other Jedi would just straight up maul people with there sabers, but with Kanan its different, its clear that he thinks not everyone should die so horribly & prefers to mercy kill them with a blaster or force push rather than cutting them down & hearing them writhe in pain. (Although the pain would probably knock them unconscious so I'm not really sure about all that.) But in his mind, everyone deserves a chance, so he might kill them but on his terms.

"I think a Vision Pulse + Damage Resistance bonus for a few seconds would make more sense. The logic being that Kanan goes on the defense (hence why he can tank more damage) and uses the Force to find his enemies."

I don't think scan pulse would go so well with his defense. As the goal is to defend yourself, not seek out enemies to kill. He can deflect laser bolts from multiple directions at once, thus filling in that tanking role for the team. Seeing him just soak up damage doesn't fit hit playstyle as he isn't a quick infantry dispatcher like maul. He's more of a team player.

If you were to dispatch enemies quickly you would use Disarming strike to kill a trooper in one hit, albeit at the cost of a slower moving primary attack (Think back to the 3rd light saber technique in the jedi knight games) you get 1 slash every second or two. Or use heightened senses to improve your abilities allowing you to become more aggressive. Or maybe Enhanced deflect to corner an opponent?

aakkhwbkosde.gif

• bfloo
    15720 posts Member
    I don't see the whole Ghost Crew ever coming. I'd want Hera first.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• bfloo wrote: »

yeah id want hera as a hero ship

Well, Zeb will probably never be added. In the case of Ezra or Kanan, it'll likely be just one of them (unless they make them a Hero duo). Sabine could be added as a Jango equivalent for the Rebels. Hera's likely as a Hero Ship or possibly as a ground hero (if paired up with Kanan or Chopper that is).

Meanwhile, Fulcrum Ahsoka would likely be a reskin of Clone Wars Ahsoka, likewise for Old Rex.
    We're finally getting the High Ground man! Wooooooooo!
  • @AzelfandQuilava
    In regard to your idea about Kanan's defensive capabilities: Characters in the game already have very similar abilities, (like Vader & Mauls saber toss) Kanan & Obi-wan are no different.

Even though he's blind & has better force senses, the whole idea behind the enhanced deflection is to go on the defense and not seek out enemies to kill with a scan pulse.
    That should be its own thing like maybe a passive card or entirely new star card for him. The point I'm trying to make is that he's more of a team player & seeking out enemies to kill like Maul or Rey isn't what I think he should do. Although he most certainly can whenever he'd like, its not what his kit is meant to do.

He wouldn't need damage resistance as he would just deflect incoming blaster fire at will from every direction.

Since you should use the abilities with one another, If you were to really go on the attack you could use Disarming Strike & Enhanced Defense with eachother. The strike will compensate for the damage reduction caused by using the deflection ability.
    Heightened senses would enhance every part of his kit (Just like chewies roar) & allow him to really push in on an objective with his team, or maybe just give him an upper hand in a fight.

aakkhwbkosde.gif

• (This just popped in my head) This is a list of where I think the abilities should be mapped on my controller, in this case its Xbox. Just to let the character & game flow nicely while letting the player feel comfortable with how he plays. And also a couple of thought provoking questions.

Ability Gun slinger / Cowboy Jedi: (LB + RB) as to not interfere with his other abilities. This would mean Kanan would be one of the first heroes to have a 4th ability along with Boba so I thought that was cool. (It would also take a second or two to assemble the saber pieces together, if its not disassembled & its fully pieced together on a certain skin then it would still take a second or two as to not give a certain skin an advantage)

Ability Enhanced deflection/defense OR The Best Defense: (LB)

Ability / (Maybe a Trait or Passive?) Heightened Senses: This is his defining technique, so it should be the (Y) button on Xbox.

Ability Disarming Strike: (RB)

Sense he's also a blaster wielder, he should be able to crouch. Making him the first force wielder to crouch in EA's battlefronts.

What will the melee button do? I have a few ideas, Maybe it locks onto an opponent, Maybe it IS a force sense ability to see people through walls, He punches with the bottom of his DL-18 / he kicks his opponent while his light saber is out (Maybe it could be a primary attack combo).

aakkhwbkosde.gif

• Elusive_DJ
    3141 posts Member
    edited September 2017
    Possible skins for Kanan (I have a lot & the images are very big so I covered them up)
    Bounty hunter Kanan
    star_wars_rebels_kanan_by_jakegreen163-d8rl877.jpg
    1772_KananJarrus_40__49110.1497284050.jpg?c=2

Bounty hunter Kanan's light saber marked shoulder armor
    21306660445_15525ef29d.jpg

Storm trooper Kanan
    Below shows off his Heightened senses working with his Gun slinger Ability, whilst in the costume.
    Star-Wars-Rebel-Stealth-Strike-1-11242015.jpg
    article-rebels1-1122.jpg

Blind Bounty hunter Kanan
    rebels-kanan-hera-1024x576.jpeg

Blind Kanan [No mask] (Pheonix Squadron attire)
    500?cb=20170116215558

Blind Kanan [Mask on] (Pheonix Squadron attire)
    Screen%20Shot%202016-11-02%20at%2012.55.16%20PM-L.png

Possessed Kanan (Pheonix Sqaudron attire) [No mask] This one is honestly kind of silly
    star-wars-rebels-season-three-kanan-jarrus.png?w=620&h=325

& lastly Jet Pack Kanan (Pheonix Squadron attire) [Mask on] I'm not so sure about this one but hey, it looks cool.
    starwarsrebels-kanan-lightsaber.jpg

There are a few I missed out, I did so on purpose because the rest just looked way to dumb in my opinion.

aakkhwbkosde.gif

I like the rebels series but imo we wont get them in this game at least not in the 1st 12 months of its life cycle.
    Reasons for this is we have 2 star wars movies .
    From a business perspective they will bring in way more$$$ than rebela characters due to how much larger the movie audience is as opposed to rebels tv series.
    Also the han solo movie is likely to peak fans of the OT interest meaning we may even see more OT dlc than originally thought.
    Like i said though i do enjoy rebels but realistically i wouldnt get my hopes up.

I don't expect any rebels characters to show up in this game but it would be very cool to have them in my opinion.

aakkhwbkosde.gif

• ROMG4
    2893 posts Member
    TMachine97 wrote: »
    The Ghost crew is a must for me. The inclusion of Rebels characters could stop the GCW from feeling stale hero-wise as we got most of the OT characters in the last game. At the moment I have no desire to play the GCW when BFII comes out, but if Rebels characters are included, it'll be one of the first things I do.

Yeah I've had over a thousand hours in the last game & honestly I'm getting kind of sick of playing in that era.

Sick of the Original Trilogy Era?

OOM-9 FOR BATTLEFRONT 2
    OOM-9 Hero Concept by AzelfandQuilava
    https://i.redd.it/uleh1g22xrhz.png

OOM-9 Canonical Material Check-List:

Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace
    William Shakespeare's The Phantom of Menace: Star Wars Part the First
    Ultimate Star Wars (Reference Guide)
    Star Wars: On the Front Lines (Reference Guide)
    Darth Maul: "Who is supervising the search for the Gungan cities?" Nute Gunray: "Commander OOM-Nine." Darth Maul: "A droid. The predecessor of your inept B-Ones." Rune Haako: "A superior droid, Lord Maul. Viceroy Gunray's personal guard."
    The OOM-9 Thread
    https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/76756/the-oom-9-thread-9-9-the-phantom-droid/p1
  • I really like the idea of having the dl-18 as a secondary weapon similar to how the scout pistol is.
  • ROMG4 wrote: »
    TMachine97 wrote: »

Yeah I've had over a thousand hours in the last game & honestly I'm getting kind of sick of playing in that era.

Sick of the Original Trilogy Era?

"Oh I don't think so!" ~ Kanan

aakkhwbkosde.gif

• Elusive_DJ
    3141 posts Member
    edited September 2017
    EvazanJr wrote: »
    I really like the idea of having the dl-18 as a secondary weapon similar to how the scout pistol is.

Actually I thought it was more like Jyn's rifle configuration but that works to, same difference.
    So what about the rest of my ideas?

aakkhwbkosde.gif

• Here's some more requests I've been pondering on for this character.
    Its about his sprinting ability while he has other abilities are on & other character stances he could take upon, as well as another idea for how he plays.

This is his regular light saber stance:
    maxresdefault.jpg
    He holds it like that while walking too.

This is his regular running stance:
    giphy.gif

When in his regular stance without any abilities he holds his blaster with both of his hands.
    When he uses Heightened sense he takes a deep breath (Quietly though, no one wants to hear that XD) and he swings and sways his light saber for 1.5 seconds. If he uses his blaster then he will spin his blaster sort of like Jango does in the Geonosian Arena, He cannot harm anyone during the 1.5 duration.

It should look like this when he sprints with the ability active (He can also sprint while firing his DL-18 blaster pistol):
    giphy.gif
    When he sprints with the pistol while this ability is active he holds the blaster with one hand.

If he's standing still with Enhanced Deflection then he holds his saber like this:
    rebels8f-6-web.jpg

These are his poses I think he should take when he uses the Disarming strike:
    This is for when he's standing still
    5a01a671431b14ea96cc876608080caa.png

ahsoka-ezra-kanan-vs-3-inquisitors.jpg

I thought of these light saber stances as a visual enhancement to give some more depth to the character. Just so you know to literally run as soon as you see him with any of those light saber poses. Its the same thing as when Luke or Vader has there blocking stance active or when you see Chewie roaring.

aakkhwbkosde.gif

Here's some more requests I've been pondering on for this character.
    Its about his sprinting ability while he has other abilities are on & other character stances he could take upon, as well as another idea for how he plays.
    -Snip-

Wow. Kanan uses the Ataru stance a lot for a Soresu user.

Kinda like Obi-Wan.
    -Snip-

Kinda like Obi-Wan.

How do you think they should reflect that on his character in game?

aakkhwbkosde.gif

-Snip-

Kinda like Obi-Wan.

Well the defensive abilities you've gave him already reflect his Soresu user. That said, the Ataru stance would be more appropriate I think. It'd be weird if we had two characters doing this stance.

1411094980594.jpg
  • Elusive_DJ
    3141 posts Member
    edited September 2017
    -Snip-

Kinda like Obi-Wan.

Well the defensive abilities you've gave him already reflect his Soresu user. That said, the Ataru stance would be more appropriate I think. It'd be weird if we had two characters doing this stance.

I don't think Kanan should have that stance at all imo, He never has that particular stance in the show & it would be wrong for anyone to steal Kenobi's iconic pose in the game.
    Perhaps maybe Disarming strike could be made to fit into Kanan's emphasis on form III.
    Or maybe when Kanan Uses the defense ability it could provide the illusion of ataru due to his rapid saber movement during lightsaber combat. Sense you can attack & block simultaneously.
    Post edited by Elusive_DJ on

aakkhwbkosde.gif

• Here's some more ideas for his abilities.
    Kanan will engage in hand to hand combat whenever he melee's while his DL-18 blaster pistol is equipped.
    Also I really don't like the DL-18's blaster sound in battlefront 2015, so if it could sound better like they did with Lando's blaster that would be cool. Giving him a distinct blaster sound would be great is what I'm saying.

His lightsaber should have it's own distinct ignition & hum. I'm thinking maybe they could use General Krell's lightsaber hum & swing sound effects. Along with Finns lightsaber ignition sound effects from the force awakens.
    I want his saber to have the deep sounding saber effects those characters have.

His regular block isn't that good at absorbing bolts & deflecting them. It's like that because enhanced deflection compensates for the blocking capabilities.

Now let's get down to how I think heightened sense should work. In particular how the powers are enhanced.
    • He can jump farther / higher
    • Enhanced deflection can block more damage before it stops & also the bolts do 30% more damage if deflected back at the target. It lasts an additional 2 seconds.
    • Disarming strike can allow his lightsaber to swing 30% faster & it does 20% more damage.
    • He can switch between his blaster & lightsaber faster. The same applies to his other abilities.
    • His running & walking speed is increased by 20%.
    • The cooldowns are decreased by 65%, it's that high because his regular abilities aren't enhanced that much when this ability activates.
    • The duration for Heightened senses last 15 seconds and is on a 30 second cooldown. Some type of minor aura around your screen and character show up when the ability is on. Or maybe a symbol above his head will do.
    • Lastly his arm reaches out farther to deflect laser bolts so his regular deflection & Enhanced deflection have a larger hit box so he can protect himself & his friends much better.

I'm going to make his emotes & regular voice lines in this thread someday. Then I'ma probably make up some more abilities, just saying.

aakkhwbkosde.gif

• cant have kanan without ezra
  • bfloo
    15720 posts Member
    cant have kanan without ezra

We can hope for just Kanan...

h846398gb27k.png

no ezra and thrawn in a season bc kanan is blind lol
  • bfloo
    15720 posts Member
    bfloo wrote: »

Thrawn is the only character on the show I really want :(

h846398gb27k.png

lol i want ezra and sabine and thrawn and grand inquisitor
  • bfloo
    15720 posts Member

lol i want ezra and sabine and thrawn and grand inquisitor

I'd prob laugh emote the Inquisitors after how they were portrayed.

With the way the Imperials are portrayed in Rebelz, it is incredible the Empire lasted more than 6 months :(

h846398gb27k.png

• kylenpain wrote: »

They had Han without Chewie in the last battlefront for months.
    There's a chance it may happen again with another duo of heroes.

aakkhwbkosde.gif

• bfloo
    15720 posts Member

With Ezra being the main character, I think we'd get him 1st :'(

h846398gb27k.png

Rebellions are built on hope. B)

aakkhwbkosde.gif

With Ezra being the main character, I think we'd get him 1st :'(

ezra will be better in season 4