criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Stop Comparing Battlefront 2 to Battlefront 1

You guys need to realize when they say three times the content, the first one had very very very little content so no **** they're gonna have more content, don't let your guard down and keep your expectations high (not too high). Don't let EA think they can get away with making another lacking game. Already they've said that they only have FIVE gamemodes. F I V E. They have 14 heroes on launch, compared to the last game it's great, compared to regular not lacking games, it's absolutely not acceptable. FOURTEEN HEROES DIVIDED BY 3 ERAS MEANS TWO OR THREE HEROES PER ERA. So please guys, don't compare Battlefront 2 to the last one because most games are better and have 4-5 times more content. Instead, compare it to other, higher quality games, where if it were to have 3 times more content it'd actually be impressive. WE CAN'T LET EA TRICK US INTO BELIEVING BF2 HAS A CRAZY AMOUNT OF CONTENT. #NOTTHISTIME

Replies

• Cool story.

But...

Star Wars
  • I'm sorry, but you're not going to convince me that Battlefront 2 will be disappointing, because it won't be.
    A thousand generations live in you now, but this is your fight.
    mbetxwnmm1qiioixt6xy.gif
  • For a persuasive argument you would need an example of a game (at launch) to compare it to and battlefront 2 must meet under its comparison. Since there isn’t a game your point is moot and we have to compare it to battlefront 1.
    What does DX in my name stand for?
  • Every game in the history of games that are a sequel get compared to the one before it. This always happens, all the time, forever. There is no avoiding it. A new trend has appeared over the last few years of comparing games from a developer to other games a developer makes. This one will undoubtedly be compared to Battlefield 1, and it will sound very unintelligent, and I will laugh at them.
    The greatest moderator that EA has ever had.
  • Every game in the history of games that are a sequel get compared to the one before it. This always happens, all the time, forever. There is no avoiding it. A new trend has appeared over the last few years of comparing games from a developer to other games a developer makes. This one will undoubtedly be compared to Battlefield 1, and it will sound very unintelligent, and I will laugh at them.

as will i poolshark, as will i
    Yeah, people even compare BF2 to Call of Duty because of the class system, so comparing BF2 to BF 2015 (no matter how different they are) are not even nearly as far-fetched.
    A thousand generations live in you now, but this is your fight.
    mbetxwnmm1qiioixt6xy.gif
  • I'm sorry, but you're not going to convince me that Battlefront 2 will be disappointing, because it won't be.

it's not gonna be bad, just unpolished and lacking content AT FIRST. 14 heroes means 2 heroes and 2 villains per era, there are 5 game modes which will eventually get boring unless you're a diehard starwars fan like me in which case you can play for around 9 months on just the base game, but even then it still kind of feels repetitive.
    Yeah, people even compare BF2 to Call of Duty because of the class system, so comparing BF2 to BF 2015 (no matter how different they are) are not even nearly as far-fetched.

I would even argue that comparing them is a good thing. I mean, even the devs compared the games because they knew how lacking the first game was. If anything, the devs want you to compare them so they can see if they did well enough in making the sequel. My opinion, considering I know everything in the game, is that this is as much of an offering, maybe more, than Battlefield is.
  • dada_shift wrote: »
    Cool story.

But...

Star Wars

yeah that's what we said about the first game and we got six heroes and four maps no campaign and no offline multiplayer.

I would even argue that comparing them is a good thing. I mean, even the devs compared the games because they knew how lacking the first game was. If anything, the devs want you to compare them so they can see if they did well enough in making the sequel. My opinion, considering I know everything in the game, is that this is as much of an offering, maybe more, than Battlefield is.

I mean, I definitely believe that it's going to be better, but with dooku and grevious not even in the base game, I'm just being cautious. Since you apparently know everything in the game can you say that I'll be getting enough heroes? Don't need to say how many heroes are coming or how many there will be by the time seasons end, but will there be enough to have a super fun time playing with the 14 confirmed heroes on just the base game for extended periods of time?
  • If they stick with the cross era heroes, you will have plenty to play with. I would argue that with the reinforcements acting like mini heroes, there will be enough to keep tue non hardcore players satisfied for a long time. Hardcore players will get bored, but that is the nature of grinding hundreds of hours super quick. Look at Destiny 2, games out 3 weeks and people have already sunk 5+ days of game time. Average player will be satisfied, I believe

That particular comparison actually isn't entirely bad. I mean, Battlefield 1 launched with 9 maps; this game has 11 large maps at launch, plus space maps and an unknown number of small maps. In that regard at least, Battlefront II is definitely on par with other AAA shooters of its type.

I suppose I would have liked to see a few more game modes, but the ones we do have seem to cover most bases. A regular TDM-style mode, small-scale tactical fights, starfighters, a big ol' hero brawl, and a large-scale mode for huge battles. I'm happy with this for now, hopefully we get a few additions down the line (Order 66 mode, anyone?).

As for heroes, we can't really compare the amount of content at launch to other games because... well, I can't think of another modern shooter that has a mechanic directly comparable to heroes. Maybe the Titans in Titanfall 2? Of course, looking that up, that game launched with 6 Titans, soooo....

Yeah, all we can do there is compare with the last game, and we have just as many heroes at the start of Battlefront II as we did at the very end of the life cycle of DICE's first Battlefront. I'd say that's a good upgrade, even if it's not as many heroes at launch as I would have preferred. Really, I think 95% of the reason some people are upset is because as far as we're aware, the prequel roster at launch is just Yoda and Maul, which... yeah, that's pretty dang rough. But the OT and ST? On those fronts, the roster seems solid. We just need to give the game some time to let the free DLC fill in the gaps (which frankly, the fact that it's free is the whole reason I'm not way more upset about the roster on the prequel side being lacking; thank the Force for that).
  • If they stick with the cross era heroes, you will have plenty to play with. I would argue that with the reinforcements acting like mini heroes, there will be enough to keep tue non hardcore players satisfied for a long time. Hardcore players will get bored, but that is the nature of grinding hundreds of hours super quick. Look at Destiny 2, games out 3 weeks and people have already sunk 5+ days of game time. Average player will be satisfied, I believe

Alright then, I'll take your word for it thanks pool

That particular comparison actually isn't entirely bad. I mean, Battlefield 1 launched with 9 maps; this game has 11 large maps at launch, plus space maps and an unknown number of small maps. In that regard at least, Battlefront II is definitely on par with other AAA shooters of its type.

I suppose I would have liked to see a few more game modes, but the ones we do have seem to cover most bases. A regular TDM-style mode, small-scale tactical fights, starfighters, a big ol' hero brawl, and a large-scale mode for huge battles. I'm happy with this for now, hopefully we get a few additions down the line (Order 66 mode, anyone?).

As for heroes, we can't really compare the amount of content at launch to other games because... well, I can't think of another modern shooter that has a mechanic directly comparable to heroes. Maybe the Titans in Titanfall 2? Of course, looking that up, that game launched with 6 Titans, soooo....

Yeah, all we can do there is compare with the last game, and we have just as many heroes at the start of Battlefront II as we did at the very end of the life cycle of DICE's first Battlefront. I'd say that's a good upgrade, even if it's not as many heroes at launch as I would have preferred. Really, I think 95% of the reason some people are upset is because as far as we're aware, the prequel roster at launch is just Yoda and Maul, which... yeah, that's pretty dang rough. But the OT and ST? On those fronts, the roster seems solid. We just need to give the game some time to let the free DLC fill in the gaps (which frankly, the fact that it's free is the whole reason I'm not way more upset about the roster on the prequel side being lacking; thank the Force for that).

To be perfectly honest, even though the hype is insane, I think it would be a good move to delay the game one month, have it launch a few days before the last jedi comes out, because looking at the preview trailer it definitely needs some pretty hardcore polishing.
  • It's pretty desperate comparing SWBF EA to SWBF EA 2 given how the first one was knowingly a cash grab and then jumping for joy at offering *almost* everything SWBF 2 had back in 2005.
  • It's pretty desperate comparing SWBF EA to SWBF EA 2 given how the first one was knowingly a cash grab and then jumping for joy at offering *almost* everything SWBF 2 had back in 2005.

thats exactly what i'm saying