criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Luke vs Maul, why can one block and not the other?

Replies

• Alex64
    5890 posts Member
    How many more threads? This is unreal.
  • SSJSnoop
    1799 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Ok, so Maul regenerates health. Have you guys seen the sick footage out there?

Maul f-uckin wrecks if you play smart.

Don't know why you're projecting so hard. Stop trying to buff or nerf things.

Pretty sure when I come back from NYC Comic Con on Friday and play the beta i'm gonna have a lot of fun with Maul that night.
  • SSJSnoop wrote: »

Pretty sure when I come back from NYC Comic Con on Friday and play the beta i'm gonna have a lot of fun with Maul that night.

K
    We need a Tier System for the Heroes. It would justify the "op-ness" of Vader over Han and Chewbacca. It would cost much more to unlock Vader, and would require you to save a lot more than for other heroes and vehicles, but it would be rewarding in the end...

"It would essentially ruin the eras and turn them into nothing much more than the same thing and same experience but with a different skin. Which is contrary to the point in having eras in the first place." - ZmanGames

K

Quality discussion
    "Yeah, I'm responsible these days. It's the price you pay for being successful."
  • Shinjuku
    1759 posts Member
    SSJSnoop wrote: »

K

Y JELLY
    MLtmeEi.png
    " If you're not with me, then you're my enemy."
  • Kavian
    319 posts Member
    Landeaux wrote: »
    hwf0jr.gif
    Can we not?

You can't just ask people to stop wanting something, if you are tired of arguing then just stop, if you really for some reason are very much against block then don't complain, keep countering. The fight goes on lol.
  • Kavian
    319 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Keep the maul threads coming guys!!! THEY CAN CLOSEM ALL THEY WANT THE PROBLEM ISN'T GOING AWAY.
    #TeamBlock
  • kylenpain wrote: »
    i dont think luke will be as fast as he was last game, we also have stamina plus they already slowed han down i bet they will do the same to luke. we also dont have traits so luke wont get faster with each kill.

Nah, they have traits. They're just not set-in-stone, ie customizable. It's that little blue bar at the bottom of the screen. They're not the same as before with different trait levels, but it's just one large passive.

i thought that was stamina

Every hero can recover health, it's not exclusive to Maul. I've seen the "sick footage", and I've also seen the footage where maul is almost killed by 1 heavy trooper. Anyway, I'm glad you're excited for the beta, enjoy... but if the bots are anything like the first game I wouldn't recommend on playing on any difficulty higher than easy because without a block you're most likely going to get annihilated using Maul.
    DeFaLt17 wrote: »
    I don't really think he needs to block, or have lightsaber fights at all tbh.
    Because one simple combo can just destroy other heroes, Force Choke + Dash & Primary attack just melts your opponent from what I've seen.
    One simple combo can be completely blocked by Jedi, doing no damage at all and is likely to be countered. Also, that's not a very good counter-argument to OP's comparison between Luke & Darth... Force Choke is focused on one enemy, where as force push can blast away at least 3 troopers at the same time, luke can dash as well and his primary attack can "just melt your opponent" too.

• maul can choke multiple enemies.
  • Landeaux
    3467 posts Member
    Kavian wrote: »
    hwf0jr.gif
    Can we not?

You can't just ask people to stop wanting something, if you are tired of arguing then just stop, if you really for some reason are very much against block then don't complain, keep countering. The fight goes on lol.

Sir, I've consistently stated that I see both sides of the argument. I am not against either scenario. I am just being realistic when it comes to knowing that they took game balance into consideration and the developers' opinions win at the end of the day. Again, I just dont see why we are having this discussion when we havent even played the beta yet. We havent even seen Luke extensively. There also isnt a reason to keep recreating these discussions in different threads.
  • i understand why they want him to, honestly id rather have a block. taking over rooms of enemies sounds super hard without deflect. if u have to capture a room (in a mode or something) it would take serious skill.
  • Landeaux
    3467 posts Member
    kylenpain wrote: »
    i understand why they want him to, honestly id rather have a block. taking over rooms of enemies sounds super hard without deflect. if u have to capture a room (in a mode or something) it would take serious skill.

You'd have to use your dashes tactically. You'd probably have to save at least one dash to get out the room quickly if things go south. I'd probably throw my saber around the corner, try to get a choke around the corner, then dash in a few times to see if i can get a few kills before I escape.
  • Kavian
    319 posts Member
    hwf0jr.gif
    Can we not?

Sir, I've consistently stated that I see both sides of the argument. I am not against either scenario. I am just being realistic when it comes to knowing that they took game balance into consideration and the developers' opinions win at the end of the day. Again, I just dont see why we are having this discussion when we havent even played the beta yet. We havent even seen Luke extensively. There also isnt a reason to keep recreating these discussions in different threads.

Sir, I am honestly just supporting because it would make gameplay more fun + I think maybe we can at least get EA to make a public statement about it or acknowledge in a deeper way than just saying it's for balancing.

Side note: I'm never not replying with anything that doesn't start with "Sir," ever again lmao
  • Landeaux
    3467 posts Member
    hwf0jr.gif
    Can we not?

Sir, I am honestly just supporting because it would make gameplay more fun + I think maybe we can at least get EA to make a public statement about it or acknowledge in a deeper way than just saying it's for balancing.

Side note: I'm never not replying with anything that doesn't start with "Sir," ever again lmao

A summary quote that Dennis used during the pre-alpha was that they thought Maul was so offensive that they didn't think it would fit his gameplay to stop and block. They also feared that he would run in a room, slaughter most of the people there, then put his back to an exit door while he back-peddles and blocks incoming damage.
  • Kavian
    319 posts Member
    hwf0jr.gif
    Can we not?

A summary quote that Dennis used during the pre-alpha was that they thought Maul was so offensive that they didn't think it would fit his gameplay to stop and block. They also feared that he would run in a room, slaughter most of the people there, then put his back to an exit door while he back-peddles and blocks incoming damage.

Solid reasoning, but I'm so sure they hadn't even tested out the block. I'm very confident that they never actually animated a block for him, and I hate that they would lie about it. Like, think about it how would a double bladed saber be able to deflect 50 bolts coming at him in 4 seconds. I'd be fine with him not having block if the devs admitted they couldn't make one.
  • Landeaux wrote: »
    i understand why they want him to, honestly id rather have a block. taking over rooms of enemies sounds super hard without deflect. if u have to capture a room (in a mode or something) it would take serious skill.

You'd have to use your dashes tactically. You'd probably have to save at least one dash to get out the room quickly if things go south. I'd probably throw my saber around the corner, try to get a choke around the corner, then dash in a few times to see if i can get a few kills before I escape.

lol thats actually crazy bc in eabf1 u could capture and kill the whole room with luke lol. what u just said wouldnt capture the room lololol it looks damn near impossible so i get why theyre asking for a deflect and block. deflecting is a great way to breach and get ur guys in the room. it will be hard to take over the room when the guys know u cant deflect lol.
  • Landeaux
    3467 posts Member
    hwf0jr.gif
    Can we not?

Solid reasoning, but I'm so sure they hadn't even tested out the block. I'm very confident that they never actually animated a block for him, and I hate that they would lie about it. Like, think about it how would a double bladed saber be able to deflect 50 bolts coming at him in 4 seconds. I'd be fine with him not having block if the devs admitted they couldn't make one.

Well I think that one as little as 3 seconds would've sufficed but I guess I'll defer to them when they claim they tried it and it didn't work well for the sake of balance. The animation would've taken time but even making an animation where he only blocks with one side of his saber would've worked. I think that he'll be so fast-paced that people will be able to play around it. However, if they do take away any of the three dashes he has, then that would be a major problem. He's really reliant on those dashes since he doesn't have a block. I'm still interested in seeing what the dodge animation actually does. There has to be some sort of use for it...?
  • Kavian
    319 posts Member
    hwf0jr.gif
    Can we not?

Well I think that one as little as 3 seconds would've sufficed but I guess I'll defer to them when they claim they tried it and it didn't work well for the sake of balance. The animation would've taken time but even making an animation where he only blocks with one side of his saber would've worked. I think that he'll be so fast-paced that people will be able to play around it. However, if they do take away any of the three dashes he has, then that would be a major problem. He's really reliant on those dashes since he doesn't have a block. I'm still interested in seeing what the dodge animation actually does. There has to be some sort of use for it...?

I'm hoping it turns into more of a lunge than a little sidestep which will not do anything to stop people from moving their crosshairs slightly to the right and keep damaging you. That or it has some serious damage reduction. I think like 65% damage reduction is fair if he doesn't have a block.
  • Landeaux wrote: »
    hwf0jr.gif
    Can we not?

lol but that’s exactly what Maul does
    It sounds like they don’t want Maul to be himself

It sounds like they want him to be soft **** version of himself that runs and hides whenever someone sees him
  • Landeaux
    3467 posts Member
    hwf0jr.gif
    Can we not?

I'm hoping it turns into more of a lunge than a little sidestep which will not do anything to stop people from moving their crosshairs slightly to the right and keep damaging you. That or it has some serious damage reduction. I think like 65% damage reduction is fair if he doesn't have a block.

I think it's spammable so that would be the similar to the issue that some have with people strafing to avoid damage (though I've never noticed this?)
  • Alex64
    5890 posts Member
    Mamma mia, here we go again...
  • Landeaux
    3467 posts Member

lol thats actually crazy bc in eabf1 u could capture and kill the whole room with luke lol. what u just said wouldnt capture the room lololol it looks **** near impossible so i get why theyre asking for a deflect and block. deflecting is a great way to breach and get ur guys in the room. it will be hard to take over the room when the guys know u cant deflect lol.

I guess that's the tradeoff for being able to fully regen health
  • Landeaux
    3467 posts Member
    Alex64 wrote: »

but no one is arguing...? we're actually having a cordial discussion
  • Shinjuku
    1759 posts Member
    hwf0jr.gif
    Can we not?

Luke Skywalker at the beginning of SWBF15 had a 3 second block I believe and it seemed like it was none existent until they later increased the duration of it to 6 seconds. I think Darth Maul should have a 3-4 second block along with a removal of one of his spin attacks. If the developers aren't budging and still think he doesn't need a block, I think what they should do is allow him to be able to use his spin attack while jumping/being airborne exactly how his master Emperor Palpatine's force dash worked in SWBF15. As for the dodge I think I've only seen one person use it in a actual fight. I've seen both Rey and Darth Maul use it in showcasing videos. It should be a universal thing for all lightsaber heroes.
    MLtmeEi.png
    " If you're not with me, then you're my enemy."
  • Alex64
    5890 posts Member

Guillaume's tweet solved this case.
  • Landeaux
    3467 posts Member

If anyone read those tweets and came to the conclusion that every lightsaber wielder had the ability to block then they have really bad reading comprehension.
  • Landeaux
    3467 posts Member
    Shinjuku wrote: »
    hwf0jr.gif
    Can we not?

Luke Skywalker at the beginning of SWBF15 had a 3 second block I believe and it seemed like it was none existent until they later increased the duration of it to 6 seconds. I think Darth Maul should have a 3-4 second block along with a removal of one of his spin attacks. If the developers aren't budging and still think he doesn't need a block, I think what they should do is allow him to be able to use his spin attack while jumping/being airborne exactly how his master Emperor Palpatine's force dash worked in SWBF15. As for the dodge I think I've only seen one person use it in a actual fight. I've seen both Rey and Darth Maul use it in showcasing videos. It should be a universal thing for all lightsaber heroes.

those block times were actually a lie. I tested them and they were actually one second less than they were advertised to be. I agree with the jump+spin; not sure why that isnt a thing already.
  • Can we just put a Maul block behind a super rare rng Legendary crate and call it a day?
    #infantrylivesmatter
  • Lee1981
    1791 posts Member
    Seriously

Can't believe how much complaining I'm seeing about a game that hasn't even been released yet, and obviously no one here has played a second of

Next thing will be after playing the beta for like 2 mins it will be this is op or this needs a nerf, they have ruined heroes, the list of **** is going to be endless I can see

When you have had the game and played it for a period of time your opinion is valid but all the **** pre release is embarrassing

• Alex64
    5890 posts Member

If anyone read those tweets and came to the conclusion that every lightsaber wielder had the ability to block then they have really bad reading comprehension.

How's that?
  • Landeaux
    3467 posts Member

How's that?

I posted those tweets. I read them. He earlier stated that Maul is the only saber wielder created so far that can’t block. He was specifying how blocking would work for those who can block. He was not, in any way, saying that every lightsaber hero can block. It didn’t even illude to that.
  • Alex64
    5890 posts Member

How's that?

I posted those tweets. I read them. He earlier stated that Maul is the only saber wielder created so far that can’t block. He was specifying how blocking would work for those who can block. He was not, in any way, saying that every lightsaber hero can block. It didn’t even illude to that.

I see...
  • kylenpain wrote: »
    maul can choke multiple enemies.

Maul can choke multiple enemies at the same time? Perfect, that just makes things more balanced between him and Lukey boy. Other than one of them not being able to block that is...
  • Lee1981 wrote: »
    Seriously

Can't believe how much complaining I'm seeing about a game that hasn't even been released yet, and obviously no one here has played a second of

Next thing will be after playing the beta for like 2 mins it will be this is op or this needs a nerf, they have ruined heroes, the list of **** is going to be endless I can see

When you have had the game and played it for a period of time your opinion is valid but all the **** pre release is embarrassing

IKR, I was wondering if anyone was gonna say based off experience in the closed beta people formed opinions on Maul but it's all conjecture and speculation based off subjective views of random gameplay.

The community really F'd up Bfront 2015 so I hope the devs aren't at beck and call again for every complaint as soon as it rolls in.

It's not just embarrassing people are crying now, it's cringe-worthy.
  • Things will get even more interesting when people find out Luke is even more consistently evasive and quick than Maul AND can block. The damage output argument is useless too since Luke can force push like 10 people at once and Maul can't.
  • I never heard anyone praising the system in the first EA.

No. It was not good.
    Blocking in Pandemic Battlefront 2 was mostly useless against other saber users.

True.
    It'll all boil down to a power to stun, and a few quick cuts. Also, get ready to get wrecked ya Maul scrubs.

Double the pride, double the fall.
  • Indiana_Jim
    2049 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Lee1981 wrote: »
    Seriously

SSJSnoop wrote: »
    IKR, I was wondering if anyone was gonna say based off experience in the closed beta people formed opinions on Maul but it's all conjecture and speculation based off subjective views of random gameplay.

The community really F'd up Bfront 2015 so I hope the devs aren't at beck and call again for every complaint as soon as it rolls in.

This is the Internet. You must be new here. ;-D

But yeah, when they screwed with Walker Assault, they messed it up BAD. It was GREAT at first. A real challenge for the Rebel side. After they lowed Walker health it was stupid.
    Lee1981 wrote: »
    Seriously

Not really. The concern is pretty valid. Every other non blaster hero can deflect damage it's pretty concerning when his defense is completely stripped and he's not given much of anything in return. Especially when people love the character.

Just seems a bit silly...considering one of his force abilities is incredibly narrow and his strongest attack actually pushes people away...which last I checked 90 percent of the people in this game have PROJECTILES.

No defense + "get away from me" attacks = strange.

And can we stop with the "everyone crying" nonsense? Most people are just curious while other people have just cause to worry about balance.
  • No one has just cause to worry about balance if THEY HAVEN'T PLAYED THE GAME. This is exactly what happens here, something is coming and people lose their **** over something they haven't even done yet.
  • No one has just cause to worry about balance if THEY HAVEN'T PLAYED THE GAME. This is exactly what happens here, something is coming and people lose their **** over something they haven't even done yet.

That makes absolutely no sense at all. Tweaking something like gun damage before the beta would be something overdramatic. Lol there's always perfectly good reasons to worry about balance issues.

I mean... uncharted 3 had a gun that killed in 6 bullets, another that killed in 7 that fired a bit slower, another that killed in a pull and a half (burst riffle) and the final gun killed in two bullets and fired as fast as you could pull the trigger... this was obviously broken....but no worries right? No one played the game so things like power plays and auto kill loadouts ruffled are perfectly fine right? Better freak out about people freaking out.
  • Goldhawk1 wrote: »
    No one has just cause to worry about balance if THEY HAVEN'T PLAYED THE GAME. This is exactly what happens here, something is coming and people lose their **** over something they haven't even done yet.

That makes absolutely no sense at all. Tweaking something like gun damage before the beta would be something overdramatic. Lol there's always perfectly good reasons to worry about balance issues.

I mean... uncharted 3 had a gun that killed in 6 bullets, another that killed in 7 that fired a bit slower, another that killed in a pull and a half (burst riffle) and the final gun killed in two bullets and fired as fast as you could pull the trigger... this was obviously broken....but no worries right? No one played the game so things like power plays and auto kill loadouts ruffled are perfectly fine right? Better freak out about people freaking out.

But you actually had to... y'know... play the game to find out about that. Hmm? You simply don't know whether it's unbalanced or not. Find out if lacking a block makes him a liability. There's probably guys that will dominate with Maul because they will play him correctly: Hit and fade, hit and fade. He's a Sith. Sith deal in fear; fear of where he might be coming from next. So play that way. Quit trying to make every Saber wielder a tank.
  • He will lose alot in Heroes vs Villains. Just watch him get blocked by Luke and then smacked with counter attacks. No blocks means no way to avoid sustaining any damage from other heroes.
  • A Palantir is a dangerous tool, Saruman.
  • If we get HvV tomorrow in the beta, this debate will be over fast.
  • bfloo
    14544 posts Member
    If we get HvV tomorrow in the beta, this debate will be over fast.

We can't base buffs and nerfs off HvV.

That destroyed the little bit of balance the infantry modes had in the first game.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• We need both infantry and HvV to test Mauls survivability
  • we only get the starfighter on fondor(i think), strike in takodana and assault on theed.
  • Well we won't. We get Galactic Assault Naboo, Starfighter Assault Fondor, Strike Takodana and Arcade Naboo.