criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Still no sword fighting mechanics! Why couldn't you have tried this....

Biggest let down of EABF2 is the fact that swordfighting is still just a one button mash-a-thon. Not even a parry or block, nothing...

Honestly with games coming out like For Honor, Dark Souls, absolver and many more that are all reinventing the wheel, among dozens upon dozen more, most of them even indie studios with a handful of people, how is it that hard to put ANY form of sword combat system in this game?

Imagine For Honors combat here, why couldnt they put in a LITE version of their own take on that? It would have entertained everyone, and also given some of your biggest detractors complaining about how egregiously simple the game is something to enjoy. And if done right it would have looked absolutely epic to see two jedi actually fighting each other, blocking, parrying, deflecting etc...

Imagine this: Have the heros like you currently have them now, with a bunch of moves designed at killing soldiers BUT when the player holds L2 to "lockon" to another hero, the buttons change over to something similar to For Honor's sword fighting mechanics (basically hold the right stick in one of three directions {top, left, right} to block, dodge, parry, deflect, grab). When two heros are locked on to each other in the middle of galactic assault, they automatically deflect incoming blasterfire {either through the occasional auto-animation of swinging the saber out to the sides, or maybe through some "force" bubble around them slightly deflecting shot & grenades, or possibly even stopping grenades and bolts like kylo ren does) until one hero is dead.

Here, Found this on YT of someone who edited lightsabers over For Honors combat system, its only a minute long, but tell me this wouldnt add to the game...

https://youtu.be/ilZSS64JuHo

Could have had fairly PG executions and finishing moves instead of putting the same work into poses or "animated voice lines" nobody uses or cares about.

....Ugh

This was the one area I was hoping they would properly flesh out a bit more, and it hasnt even changed in the slightest in this regard. I hope DICE can attempt something for the next game.... But This is why I wont be picking this game up for PC.

Replies

• If you want sword fighting then go to For Honor? You can't copy and paste a fight mechanic from one game and put it in another, otherwise DICE will get sued for that. When a hero and villain swing at each other at the exact same time they are pushed back from the clash. That's fine. I've experienced that as both Rey and Maul clashing with the other. The advantage goes to the person that can best use their abilities and not spamming the attack button.
  • that slow sword fighting will get u killed by infantry, its best to just slice and go. we havent played HvV but i think the combat will be slightly better.
  • kylenpain wrote: »
    that slow sword fighting will get u killed by infantry, its best to just slice and go. we havent played HvV but i think the combat will be slightly better.

I agree with this, if there is sword fighting mechanics, you would just get melted down by infantry
  • kylenpain wrote: »
    that slow sword fighting will get u killed by infantry, its best to just slice and go. we havent played HvV but i think the combat will be slightly better.

Totally agree, better to slice and move on
  • Just because sword-fighting is not in the beta, that doesn't mean it won't be in for the full release of the game. I'm crossing my fingers, and keep your hopes up. If not, then it's not a major deal. BFII is a shooter game, not a dedicated fighting game. There's only so much EA can do, so give them a break.
    PSN: DynamitePro26
  • The heroes are mainly there to plow through infantry anyways, hero battles are better suited for a game thats dedicated to melee combat