criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Does the game feel less like star wars from the first one?

Prev1
Idk how to really describe it, but do the heavy shields, heavy sentry mode where the gun completely changes firing modes, and just a few other things make the game feel less like star wars, especially the shields make it seem world breaking
giphy.gif

Replies

• Idk does anyone else feel this way? might be the UI too...
    giphy.gif
  • Youtube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/TroopperFoFo/ .
    Battlefront 2 , Battlefield and more.
  • Possibly. The issue with the graphics - the overuse of chromatic aberration especially - does make it look a bit less Star Wars-like. I mean, you can argue until the cows come home about the good and bad elements of gameplay in EA's first Battlefront, but you had to admit it looked and sounded like Star Wars.

In my opinion, the use of cross-era heroes doesn't help the authenticity either. It isn't all bad though, as Starfighter Assault still generates the genuine look and feel of the franchise.
  • No it does not.

tenor.gif
  • For me it is the lack of movie like blaster bolts flying around. What we have in Battlefront 2 is barely visible to the point of feeling more like regular bullets than blasters.
  • traja wrote: »
    For me it is the lack of movie like blaster bolts flying around. What we have in Battlefront 2 is barely visible to the point of feeling more like regular bullets than blasters.

I can agree with this...I wish I could see the blaster bolts like in the shootout scene aboard the blockade runner from episode 4
    2aHWXlI.gif
  • The laserbolts are really not Star Wars like enough, which in my opinion is one element that makes the beta feel less like Star Wars. Let's hope it is going to be fixed in the release version.
  • They both don't feel very star warsy

Would like to see giant maps with vehicles and stuff like battlefield has.

This is fun and all but I feel like it could be so much more epic.
    For me it is the lack of movie like blaster bolts flying around. What we have in Battlefront 2 is barely visible to the point of feeling more like regular bullets than blasters.

Exactly. I got the second gun for the assault class and put the cool down mod on it (or whatever it's called) and it sounds like a machine gun for crying out loud!
  • Yes, you are right Goldhawk that the maps should be bigger and allow for 40 vs 40 or more player battles.
  • ATM, this beta, doesn't have that 'pic or star wars feel, or look, like the 2015 beta (or game) had (has), feels a little rough and chaotic. I don't feel as drawn in or immersed...
    Head or gut?
  • ROMG4
    2362 posts Member
    The Star Wars feel for the first one died when I saw Jump-Rolling, Bacta Bomb, Scatter-Gun, EE-4 and Personal Shield

The Star Wars feel I have when playing it is just like I imagined a next gen Star Wars would feel like
    OOM-9 FOR BATTLEFRONT 2
    OOM-9 Hero Concept by AzelfandQuilava
    https://i.redd.it/uleh1g22xrhz.png

OOM-9 Canonical Material Check-List:

Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace
    William Shakespeare's The Phantom of Menace: Star Wars Part the First
    Ultimate Star Wars (Reference Guide)
    Star Wars: On the Front Lines (Reference Guide)
    Darth Maul: "Who is supervising the search for the Gungan cities?" Nute Gunray: "Commander OOM-Nine." Darth Maul: "A droid. The predecessor of your inept B-Ones." Rune Haako: "A superior droid, Lord Maul. Viceroy Gunray's personal guard."
    The OOM-9 Thread
    https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/76756/the-oom-9-thread-9-9-the-phantom-droid/p1
  • zyzygy wrote: »
    I mean, you can argue until the cows come home about the good and bad elements of gameplay in EA's first Battlefront, but you had to admit it looked and sounded like Star Wars.

Agreed. Warts and all, the first installment had that look-and-feel.

That "je ne sais quoi"

• There is next to no immersion in this game at all (not that you're likely to find that in MP anyway)
    You can see this is just CoD dressed up as star wars... and not very well done. The era crossovers only add to this.
  • I'm getting the game simply for Starfighter Assault. The sound of the TIE Fighter's engines sold me on it. The sounds in general are the game's best feature, IMO
  • Aryck-The-One
    1581 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Starfighter Assault feels closer to an authentic Star Wars experience than the first game. Aside from vast improvements to the flying mechanics and gameplay, Criterion seems to have paid attention to the tiniest details, right down to the shape of the blaster bolts for starfighters, which look exactly like the movies.
    SWymsa wrote: »
    There is next to no immersion in this game at all (not that you're likely to find that in MP anyway)
    You can see this is just CoD dressed up as star wars... and not very well done. The era crossovers only add to this.

Why do you think #SoloPlayersMatter is a thing? Changing Star Wars: Battlefront from single-player focused as it was in the originals to being multiplayer-focused was the biggest mistake DICE could've made. If you want to be immersed in Star Wars, single-player is the best way to do it.

Arcade mode needs 20v20 and starfighter battles for Battlefront II!!!

#soloplayersmatter #singleplayersmatter #offlinegamersmatter
  • Yeah, except for starfighter assault. My problem with this game is that they literally made it a Battlefield but Star Wars. That isn't what this game is supposed to be. Some people aren't very good at video games and just want to enjoy Star Wars but get wrecked by some unbalanced ****. Thanks EA, I think I'll stick with Starfighter Assault now.
  • The laserbolts are really not Star Wars like enough, which in my opinion is one element that makes the beta feel less like Star Wars. Let's hope it is going to be fixed in the release version.

Yeah, even the star fighters fire too quickly and sound off
    giphy.gif
  • Feels like Star Wars to me. Much more so without personal shields and jump packs on almost every infantry soldier.
  • It seems like a rushed cash cow title to say the least. There is so much that needs to be reworked. It could be sooooooo much better.

And make those blasters red
  • Yes it does.

I think it's down to the gameplay and the blaster bolts. They definitely feel like more like bullets than blaster bolts and the game plays more like cod than a Star Wars game but it's still fun, a few tweaks on the blaster bolts and it could be better.
  • Old_fella_1963
    4685 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Stalemate wrote: »
    Yes it does.

I think it's down to the gameplay and the blaster bolts. They definitely feel like more like bullets than blaster bolts and the game plays more like cod than a Star Wars game but it's still fun, a few tweaks on the blaster bolts and it could be better.

'Blaster' sounds so far are just too contemporary ? And we need a floating scan/shooting droid desperately ! ;-)
  • bfloo
    14035 posts Member
    Stalemate wrote: »
    Yes it does.

This doesn't play like CoD.

My CoD experience is usually

Spawn
    Sniper bullet to the head
    Spawn
    Spawn
    Spawn
    Spawn
    Stabbed in back
    Spawn
    Get to move, then sniper bullet to the head
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

Agreed
  • Yep I agree too, you can barley see the blaster bolts at all and it kind of sucks.
  • Stalemate wrote: »
    Yes it does.

Yeah, hopefully they add more sound effects from the movies (including blaster fire and AI Commands)
    giphy.gif
  • Danxoln
    2473 posts Member
    I love how people are like "these things aren't in the 8 movies that have been released so it's not star wars"

This is a sandbox game where you can live out your star wars fantasies, as long as it fits in star wars it's fine, a simple sheild and a gun mode doesn't bother me.
  • Lol I don't know what you people are talking about. Feels like star wars to me.
  • Mastahpeece
    1907 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    Besides cross era heroes and the small blaster bolts, this game feels a lot more Star Warsy to me. No more jump packs for everyone!
    Ponds main

Officer of The Knights of Gareth
    uruzea55jgr4.png
  • Besides cross era heroes and the small blaster bolts, this game feels a lot more Star Warsy to me. No more jump packs for everyone!

No way the previous entry was the most immersive ever! Don't you remember that scene in a new hope when Bossk spawn killed hundreds of rebels? Or how about in Return of the Jedi when Luke saved Yoda from dying with his bacta bomb! Or all the stormtroopers sprinting around and constantly rolling while still shooting while defending the shield generator on Endor.

i like the new mechanics but not the visuals. it actually felt like you were shooting something as compared to the last game...
  • Ground combat felt a bit slower and less cinematic to me personally, lot of wide open spaces on Naboo without much going on in them. The starfighter mode was much improved though and definitely felt SW enough, more so than it did the first time around.
  • There is definitely something about Battlefront II 2017 that makes it feel less Star Wars-y to me than it's predecessor, but I can't quite put my tongue on it. When I played the Battlefront 2015 beta and early launch, it felt as if I was immersed into the Star Wars universe itself, which is primarily what kept me coming back to it. When I played the Battlefront II 2017 beta, it was very fun, but I didn't get that same feeling I had with the Battlefront 2015 beta. I'm not sure what it is, if it's the more clunky movement, the change in gunplay, the blaster bolts, or what, but there's definitely something there. Regardless, I still like the game, but I am a bit disappointed that I don't get this feeling of immersion anymore. Maybe it's just a personal thing though.
  • 100% agree with this thread maker on this topic
  • It’s just because u aren’t used to it yet. Everything is new.
  • Lakkiada wrote: »
    It seems like a rushed cash cow title to say the least. There is so much that needs to be reworked. It could be sooooooo much better.
    I completely disagree
  • TheStalker88
    6084 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    Blaster bolts need to be brighter and feel less like bullets. Also hero mechanics. No tiring from swinging light sabers, block for all light saber users and Boba needs to aim without hip firing
  • tommytom64 wrote: »
    There is definitely something about Battlefront II 2017 that makes it feel less Star Wars-y to me than it's predecessor, but I can't quite put my tongue on it. When I played the Battlefront 2015 beta and early launch, it felt as if I was immersed into the Star Wars universe itself, which is primarily what kept me coming back to it. When I played the Battlefront II 2017 beta, it was very fun, but I didn't get that same feeling I had with the Battlefront 2015 beta. I'm not sure what it is, if it's the more clunky movement, the change in gunplay, the blaster bolts, or what, but there's definitely something there. Regardless, I still like the game, but I am a bit disappointed that I don't get this feeling of immersion anymore. Maybe it's just a personal thing though.

Yeah this pretty much captures my perception of the two as well, yeah Battlefront (2015) was a disappointment, but its beta was a lot more exciting and immersive than this new beta made me feel
    RogueKarp wrote: »
    100% agree with this thread maker on this topic

Thanks! I knew I couldn't be the only one
    giphy.gif
  • For the first game, they should how much more work they put with the maps and stuff (going to an actual snowy area for Both and a forest for Endor).
    They didn't advertise any of that stuff for this one, so I wonder if they even did it.
  • To the op, it does for me, feels less Star Wars like and less immersive that is. I think one thing is the closer fov, it appears like everything is smaller, not as big or vast as bf15. It doesn’t have that epic feel like I’m actually in the game like bf15 or battlefield does. The smaller blaster fire along with more empty feeling maps also contribute imo.
  • Gotta say I completely disagree with this thread (though I respect their POV) I found the droids amazing and maul far more interesting then Luke or Han or Leia (did love that Vader though) I loved the clone troopers and am so happy with the fact that EA have listened to at least some feedback.

I understand where you're coming from but tbh i found the mechanics so useless in bf15 that I didn't care about the emersion. I didn't think it was like star wars constantly throw blue smoke at your self for extra hp, and so many of the guns were one shot kill which made gameplay frustrating to the point I only made it to lvl 20.

Also pretty sure Devs said they'd make the the lasers thicker (defo read that somewhere) which should help somewhat with emersion.

Anyway just my two cents

• Not to me, the battles in Battlefront 2015 felt less like Star Wars with all the Bacta Bombs, Jump Packs, Personal Shields, etc. Battlefront 2 feels like you're actually marching into battle as typical Troopers along with the more strategic Hero play.
    ARMY OR NOT, YOU MUST REALIZE, YOU ARE DOOMED
  • Nah not really
  • It felt pretty Star Wars to me. Spawning in as a TIE whatever or a ywing doing a run. The droid announcer in GA.... good stuff.

Blaster bolts could be brighter though...
  • Not to me, the battles in Battlefront 2015 felt less like Star Wars with all the Bacta Bombs, Jump Packs, Personal Shields, etc. Battlefront 2 feels like you're actually marching into battle as typical Troopers along with the more strategic Hero play.

I'm pretty sure all those things are returning in Battlefront 2. I think it was revealed from a dataminer on Reddit.
    PSN: Trooper8059
    "Remember: Your focus determines your reality."
    ezgif_5_a643336582.gif

I'm pretty sure all those things are returning in Battlefront 2. I think it was revealed from a dataminer on Reddit.
    I know, but those elements were completely overexaggerated in Battlefront 2015. I'm putting my faith on the developers to make sure the abilities are balanced, which wasn't the case in Battlefront 2015, where the more popular abilities (Disruption, Bacta Bomb, Personal Shield, etc.) could turn the tide of many 1 on 1 gunfights 90% of the time.
    ARMY OR NOT, YOU MUST REALIZE, YOU ARE DOOMED
  • Massman98 wrote: »
    The laserbolts are really not Star Wars like enough, which in my opinion is one element that makes the beta feel less like Star Wars. Let's hope it is going to be fixed in the release version.

Yeah, even the star fighters fire too quickly and sound off

That GIF is everything.
  • TheStalker88
    6084 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    They do fire too quickly. Dice has messed up blaster bolts big time, even in space

Revert the blaster fire to previous game for max immersion
  • Aside from cross-era heroes outside of HvV (which I can't stand but have accepted) and trooper blaster bolts needing to be more brighter and vibrant like they are in BF2015 (others and myself have brought up a separate thread about this), the game is a vast improvement to the first one and is overall feeling like a strong Star Wars experience that I'm so keen to get stuck into
    "DEW IT."
    p1jlhhgtai3b.png
    "I am the Senate."