criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Gamescom 2019 Triple XP
Community Transmission

Hero damage to other heroes will be the death of intense duels

Landeaux
3467 posts Member
edited October 2017

Here’s a video of a YouTuber who did an experiment with a friend in the back of Galactic Assault. They alternated Rey and Maul. The transition from Battlefront 1 to Battlefront 2 has brought about heroes having 35-50% less health than before, but their damage inflicted onto each other has relatively stayed the same. “One-shot” combos will rule hero vs villain combat if this issue doesn’t get proper attention. The last game had long, intense hero fights. This game has become, “who can attack first and the fastest?” I hope someone on the development team sees this issue and attends to it before it ruins hero vs villain longevity and authenticity.
Post edited by Landeaux on

Replies

• I can't believe Battlefront 2015 got this huge aspect right.
    A thousand generations live in you now, but this is your fight.
    mbetxwnmm1qiioixt6xy.gif
  • This is not looking to be good, there's not really much to it than just slashing properly at the right times and being faster than the other. Maybe it's different with the blaster wielding heroes but surprisingly, I find the first game to be better with the lightsaber combat than this one from the looks of it, although things would probably be slightly different at launch so it might be better at that point in time.
    I'm just an imperial fangirl. | PSN: FathomEnigma1 | "Glory goes only to the Empire."
  • Think about HvV..
  • Yes! This is a big issue that needs to be addressed. HvV will be horrible with the current system, It wouldn’t even be a battle it would be just who can attack first. Hope the developers will notice this! @Sledgehammer70 @TheVestalViking
  • Mooncircle wrote: »
    Think about HvV..

It’ll be “one-shot” massacres. I really hope they see this is an issue and address it. The fights end within 5 seconds now
  • bfloo
    15531 posts Member
    Cad_Bane wrote: »
    Yes! This is a big issue that needs to be addressed. HvV will be horrible with the current system, It wouldn’t even be a battle it would be just who can attack first. Hope the developers will notice this! @Sledgehammer70 @TheVestalViking

Changes for HvV need to stay in HvV.

Lets not ruin infantry based modes again.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• Cad_Bane wrote: »
    Yes! This is a big issue that needs to be addressed. HvV will be horrible with the current system, It wouldn’t even be a battle it would be just who can attack first. Hope the developers will notice this! @Sledgehammer70 @TheVestalViking

We used to find the stun system annoying in the old game, and it was, but at least they had a chance to withstand the damage afterwords. Being choked in this game, either by Maul or Vader, is effectively the death of you. Maul will use his whole combo or Vader will bring you towards him then end you.
  • bfloo wrote: »

I think that if they made changes to tone down hero damage against each other then it should be universal so they can die instantly in other modes against other heroes, too
  • bfloo
    15531 posts Member
    Landeaux wrote: »
    bfloo wrote: »

I think that if they made changes to tone down hero damage against each other then it should be universal so they can die instantly in other modes against other heroes, too

I didn't even die instantly to heroes as infantry.

It was fun shooting the Maul's that assumed I'd be a ohk.

The only hero v hero play I had was Han v Boba, while I was at 1/2 health.
    Boba won because of better positioning

h846398gb27k.png

Idk if we’re seeing eye to eye or understanding each other. I want heroes to do less damage to each other. I don’t want to change their damage against anything else (except maybe vehicles because it’s nonexistant rn)
  • bfloo
    15531 posts Member

Idk if we’re seeing eye to eye or understanding each other. I want heroes to do less damage to each other. I don’t want to change their damage against anything else (except maybe vehicles because it’s nonexistant rn)

I still have nightmares about how the HvV buffs effected the last game, so maybe not.

h846398gb27k.png

I still have nightmares about how the HvV buffs effected the last game, so maybe not.

Yeah I don’t want heroes to do more damage to infantry. It’s fine as is. I definitely don’t want infantry to do more damage to heroes or heroes to do more damage to each other. I want them to tone down hero damage against other heroes so they don’t slaughter each other
  • Landeaux wrote: »

Yeah I don’t want heroes to do more damage to infantry. It’s fine as is. I definitely don’t want infantry to do more damage to heroes or heroes to do more damage to each other. I want them to tone down hero damage against other heroes so they don’t slaughter each other

Lets hope they fix that.
  • I feel this way it's better. In the first one fighting felt clunky and awkward.

Being able to block abilities is crucial against another hero. Maul on the other hand can go through it so I think that balances it out.
  • HeavyTeemu wrote: »
    I feel this way it's better. In the first one fighting felt clunky and awkward.

Being able to block abilities is crucial against another hero. Maul on the other hand can go through it so I think that balances it out.

Rey can block Maul's choke. Rey v Maul isn't my main point though. Heroes destroy each other fairly quickly now. The fights last about 5 seconds before someone wins. Whoever initiates first and attacks the fastest wins. It doesn't require strategy anymore. I'm not asking for abilities to not register. I'm asking for hero damage reduction against other heroes
  • I agree. Vader vs luke in the first game was epic. Heck most matchups were epic.

So far it's just flailing around Hoping you get the first skill off.
    HeavyTeemu wrote: »

Rey can block Maul's choke. Rey v Maul isn't my main point though. Heroes destroy each other fairly quickly now. The fights last about 5 seconds before someone wins. Whoever initiates first and attacks the fastest wins. It doesn't require strategy anymore. I'm not asking for abilities to not register. I'm asking for hero damage reduction against other heroes

Only that but spin and throw deal full damage.

I highly disagree that no strategy is involved in hero fights as R2 spammers got rekt in the beta.
    In here Maul initiates the fight but loses because he does not use his other abilities nor use dash to dodge my counter attacks. Also Rey and aerial units can for some reason recover mid air (bug?).

2nd encounter I almost lost because I just thought I could hack through him without blocking or anything.

3rd encounter I use dash and block to drop Mauls HP just by using his troops fire against him and then finish him off.

I believe while fights last shorter they indeed require certain strategy to overcome your opponent other than use CC ability and proceed to kill.

Also I think damage reduction is unnecessary if certain CC strong abilities like force choke can be blocked.
  • HeavyTeemu wrote: »
    HeavyTeemu wrote: »

Only that but spin and throw deal full damage.

I highly disagree that no strategy is involved in hero fights as R2 spammers got rekt in the beta.
    In here Maul initiates the fight but loses because he does not use his other abilities nor use dash to dodge my counter attacks. Also Rey and aerial units can for some reason recover mid air (bug?).

2nd encounter I almost lost because I just thought I could hack through him without blocking or anything.

3rd encounter I use dash and block to drop Mauls HP just by using his troops fire against him and then finish him off.

I believe while fights last shorter they indeed require certain strategy to overcome your opponent other than use CC ability and proceed to kill.

Also I think damage reduction is unnecessary if certain CC strong abilities like force choke can be blocked.

R2 spammers rule this game right now. I was blocking as Rey and for some reason Maul immediately broke through it and I couldn’t re-apply block. I died within 5 seconds because he kept auto attacking. Hero battles aren’t healthy right now. If a Maul gets his Choke off right now, he can follow up with a saber throw, spin, then AA; they enemy hero is dead after that combo. I’d called that a “one-shot combo.” Does that warrant a kill? Simply landing choke then following up with easy damage? Not really. It should warrant decent damage, not a kill

• Go to 8:25. This is what scares me. There’s no intensity, immersion, or authenticity from that fight. The last game did a better job at hero battles. That shouldn’t be the case. I don’t want hero duels in this game to become 8:25
  • Landeaux
    3467 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    0:40

10:18

0:43

8:10

I won’t go any further with the videos because I think they speak for themselves. I hope they tone down hero damage against each other before launch

Here’s a video of a YouTuber who did an experiment with a friend in the back of Galactic Assault. They alternated Rey and Maul. The transition from Battlefront 1 to Battlefront 2 has brought about heroes having 35-50% less health than before, but their damage inflicted onto each other has relatively stayed the same. “One-shot” combos will rule hero vs villain combat if this issue doesn’t get proper attention. The last game had long, intense hero fights. This game has become, “who can attack first and the fastest?” I hope someone on the development team sees this issue and attends to it before it ruins hero vs villain longevity and authenticity.

Well the fights that’s I had with Rey in this video were a little more drawn out and tactical

• I kinda don't want them to deal low damage to each other in game modes other the hero vs villains because I want a fight between heroes.

In other modes too many people jump into the middle of a hero fight and it gets annoying

But we won't see that in heroes vs villains. So if be happy for more intense and strategic battles in that mode.

Well the fights that’s I had with Rey in this video were a little more drawn out and tactical

That fight frightens me if that will be the standard. It didn’t last long. Not much strategy was involved. Y’all were both trying to just whale on each other with a saber attack and that’s not how lightsaber combat should be. There’s no intensity in these fights anymore
  • Landeaux
    3467 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Goldhawk1 wrote: »
    I kinda don't want them to deal low damage to each other in game modes other the hero vs villains because I want a fight between heroes.

In other modes too many people jump into the middle of a hero fight and it gets annoying

But we won't see that in heroes vs villains. So if be happy for more intense and strategic battles in that mode.

Yeah I try to differentiate between the gamemode HvV and heroes vs villains in general when I speak in those terms so I don’t cause confusion. I want the characters to deal less damage to each other throughout all gamemodes

That fight frightens me if that will be the standard. It didn’t last long. Not much strategy was involved. Y’all were both trying to just whale on each other with a saber attack and that’s not how lightsaber combat should be. There’s no intensity in these fights anymore

The first Rey I fought I had three separate encounters with

I had two separate encounters with the second Rey

The first Rey mind tricked me twice
    And the second Rey mind tricked me twice.

I had less health than both of them when we fought.
  • i dont think the damage is how it will be at launch, they made it this way bc theyre in galactic assault. hvv should be much different but if it isnt then u have to play smart
  • kylenpain wrote: »
    i dont think the damage is how it will be at launch, they made it this way bc theyre in galactic assault. hvv should be much different but if it isnt then u have to play smart

I think heroes should do less damage to each other no matter the mode for the sake of quality of life
    kylenpain wrote: »
    i dont think the damage is how it will be at launch, they made it this way bc theyre in galactic assault. hvv should be much different but if it isnt then u have to play smart

I think heroes should do less damage to each other no matter the mode for the sake of quality of life

if they had a higher score for hvv like maybe 50? it would be a long and fun battle still. its kinda the same as 25 with less damage.
  • kylenpain wrote: »
    kylenpain wrote: »

if they had a higher score for hvv like maybe 50? it would be a long and fun battle still. its kinda the same as 25 with less damage.

I’d just rather them not kill each other within 5 seconds. I don’t find that fun or interesting. They have about 40-50% less health than last game so balance it out with making them do 40-50% less damage against each other

I think his video was very informative and showed that there is tactics involved. In your videos it was just button smashing (which made fights really quick and poor looking) but as evident in my video look what happened to Maul when he tried his combo and button smashing. Using dashes and block made fights turn out to my favor even though he had more HP (expect the 2nd fight where I tried to button smash).

Kwamster9000 used Maul very skillfully and wore down Rey by making hit and run attacks. To me it was nice fighting and playing to your characters strengths (mobility).

Of course Maul can't block. I can imagine that fight between Luke/Rey vs Vader/Kylo will be much different just because they have blocking ability. They don't need to run to avoid getting controlled.

I do however understand where you are coming from. Fights can end quickly and to some they are anticlimactic fights just because of that (+ they don't look anything like in trailers). I guess we have to wait and see how fights between blocking characters go.

• There is rarely hero vs hero fights in Galactic Assault.

Heros vs Villians has a different health system.
  • EvazanJr wrote: »
    There is rarely hero vs hero fights in Galactic Assault.

Heros vs Villians has a different health system.

I do believe I read something about the HvV mode having a different system but I think that they need to balance the encounters out across all gamemodes. What we saw in GA isn’t healthy for gameplay
  • I mean, it wouldn't be the first time a lightsaber duel in Star Wars ended in seconds...
    Seriously, major Rebels spoilers here.
    Alright, you asked for it:

• Friendly reminder that we need to keep an eye on Hero damage inflicted towards each other.
    I also find it interesting that Vader has 900 health but Chewie has 650. At this time, Rey is the "tank" of the Heroes at 750 health.
    Either way HvV looks insanely fun!
    Friendly reminder that we need to keep an eye on Hero damage inflicted towards each other.
    I also find it interesting that Vader has 900 health but Chewie has 650. At this time, Rey is the "tank" of the Heroes at 750 health.
    Either way HvV looks insanely fun!

Looks hella fun.

I think if you want a cool looking duel, you need a 1v1