criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

The excuse "This is just the beta" is invalid.

This was their best sales pitch. This was to be our first tryout of the product. What we got was an all to familiar linear map with limited access to Hero's or single player. All criticism is valid and the excuse that it was just a beta is without merit.
If you want to sell me something, then you need to present your product in the best light.

Replies

• Danxoln
    2473 posts Member
    Ok...then don't buy it...
  • That's an extremely dumb way to view it but hey, you do you bud.
  • bfloo
    13637 posts Member
    The access to the heroes was better than the first go.

There wasn't any losing out on the chance to get one because people figured out where a token would spawn and sat there waiting for a hero to die.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• Lol, don't think you understand what beta is. Sales pitches are the ad's and commercials.
  • Danxoln wrote: »
    Ok...then don't buy it...

Except that the OP has a point.
    Betas and demos are generally designed to give players a flavour of what the final game will be like. Yes, with betas there is a certain element of testing and putting things in it as a trial to see what people think about them, but the game is not going to massively change between now and release.
    People who jump to the defense of a beta as "just a beta", often follow up that statement by saying that it can still change and that it doesn't represent the final game. These people, in my opinion, are simply living in denial. They don't like certain aspects like the progression system (or lack thereof) and the loot boxes, so they convince themselves that just because it was a beta it's not final and, sadly, it most likely will be. It's like in the Simpsons episode "Lisa the Vegetarian" where Lisa pushes the pig Homer is spit-roasting into a river and Homer's keeps convincing himself that, "it's still good, it's still good", when it clearly isn't.
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    My Concepts
    Clone Skin Changes | Clone Customisation & Menu | Empire Customisation & Menu
  • Drevlinlek wrote: »
    Lol, don't think you understand what beta is. Sales pitches are the ad's and commercials.

What? No!

Clearly a sales pitch is a small fraction of the game that hasn't been through final stages of development that is somehow masked as a final product in some people's eyes.
  • bfloo
    13637 posts Member
    The beta was a demo/ test.

I enjoyed playing it so I bought the game.

If you didn't enjoy it and are buying anyway, maybe you should reassess.

h846398gb27k.png

• bfloo wrote: »

Unfortunately I don't have the luxury to "reassess" because by activating my early access beta code I got locked in to my pre-order and can't cancel.
    Now I'm just hoping it will improve over the next year or so through patches.
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    My Concepts
    Clone Skin Changes | Clone Customisation & Menu | Empire Customisation & Menu
  • bfloo
    13637 posts Member
    bfloo wrote: »

Unfortunately I don't have the luxury to "reassess" because by activating my early access beta code I got locked in to my pre-order and can't cancel.

That is a bad business policy.

I looked at the Xbox store's cancellation policy before the beta and it sounded like an annoyance to cancel if I didn't like it.

h846398gb27k.png

• bfloo wrote: »

There's nothing wrong with the game to the point that anyone needs to cancel.

If you like star wars and shooters it's for you.

If you just like star wars and not shooters it's probably not for you.
  • One of the larger software companies on this planet used to have Betas. The problem was that users didn't take it seriously; they always assumed that it would be possible to change things. They then renamed them to Release Candidates to make sure people understand that this is mostly what they would be getting.

At this stage in the development cycle, I don't imagine there is much room for major changes before release. The current feedback might drive planning for the first post-release update, but that is anybody's guess.

I pre-ordered the game on the day of early-beta, just to discover that I was too late. I played the Beta, and it looked OK but there are still game mechanics that I don't like. It's still to easy for a high school team to get overrun by an NFL stomping machine; we all want to have fun but we play in different leagues.

With all the media around the crates, and no obvious information from EA/DICE, I've now cancelled my pre-order. I'll wait it out and see what happens. By now they should have a clear idea of how things will work on launch-day. With early release on November 10th, a couple of weeks for testing and other QA work, they only have a few weeks to get this done.
  • Betas these days are just a marketing tool. So what they showed is what they thought was the most impressive bit, because it makes no sense to show anything else. Also a month is not enough time to make any significant changes aside from balance adjustments. Another thing that could be done is improvements to chromatic aberration and film grain that make this look worse than the 2015 game. But basic gameplay etc. will be exactly the same. Personally I didn't have a huge problem with the gameplay.
  • traja wrote: »
    Betas these days are just a marketing tool. So what they showed is what they thought was the most impressive bit, because it makes no sense to show anything else. Also a month is not enough time to make any significant changes aside from balance adjustments. Another thing that could be done is improvements to chromatic aberration and film grain that make this look worse than the 2015 game. But basic gameplay etc. will be exactly the same. Personally I didn't have a huge problem with the gameplay.

The original beta was only 3 days.

That's not a marketing ploy.

Heck it's barely a test and that's literally what it was.
  • Goldhawk1 wrote: »
    traja wrote: »
    Betas these days are just a marketing tool. So what they showed is what they thought was the most impressive bit, because it makes no sense to show anything else. Also a month is not enough time to make any significant changes aside from balance adjustments. Another thing that could be done is improvements to chromatic aberration and film grain that make this look worse than the 2015 game. But basic gameplay etc. will be exactly the same. Personally I didn't have a huge problem with the gameplay.

To test the game you would enable the entire thing to be tested. But if you want to demo your game to get some free marketing in, well then you run a beta with only some of your best content in it. And it is not about how long the beta is, it's about the buzz it generates through news sites, Youtube, Twitch streams. etc.
  • Beaver
    1735 posts Member
    kez432 wrote: »
    This was their best sales pitch. This was to be our first tryout of the product. What we got was an all to familiar linear map with limited access to Hero's or single player. All criticism is valid and the excuse that it was just a beta is without merit.
    If you want to sell me something, then you need to present your product in the best light.

Well, you can always wait for the final game, do lots of homework by reading reviews and watching youtube videos, and making an informed decision on whether or not this game is for you.

Not quite sure what the point of your post is.
  • traja wrote: »
    Goldhawk1 wrote: »
    traja wrote: »

To test the game you would enable the entire thing to be tested. But if you want to demo your game to get some free marketing in, well then you run a beta with only some of your best content in it. And it is not about how long the beta is, it's about the buzz it generates through news sites, Youtube, Twitch streams. etc.

Mother of god
  • This was a beta, not a sales pitch. Either buy it or don't
    The greatest moderator that EA has ever had.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!