criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Operation Cinder? You will burn these ideas away, Disney.

Prev1345
The whole idea of Empire destroying itself is a big steaming bowl of poodoo. I can't believe Disney ok'ed it. A war engine that just tries to destroy itself because of one mad emperor in the real world would never happen. Even if it was meant to look like the Empire have gone mad, the rebels wouldn't buy it fully and even if they were asked to help. Even if the Emperor and rebels were together running Operation Cinder, many officers would start questioning the integrity of their security and intelligence. Then they would be on higher alert and way more analytical about their steps and the Empires as a whole. They would find out the Emperor conspired to destroy the empire with the rebels and so on.

Also the way first order was then created and rebuilt is even more ridiculous. So after they lost all their ships bases and personnel, they just magically go missing and remerge as a new fully rebuilt force? Nope not buying it. This needs to be forgotten and burned as a very bad plot design to turn the Empire into the FO.

Replies

• Someone agrees! Finally! I'd rather Iden join the First Order than those evil rebel terrorists!

Sick of this crap! This whole Operation: Cinder is bad storytelling.
    "With the elimination of the traitorous Jedi . . . our presence let the galaxy know that the days of the Old Republic were well and truly over. We were establishing a new era, an era of Order and Peace."-Clone Trooper.

"I have brought peace, freedom, justice and security to my new Empire."-Darth Vader.

tumblr_oohhok4GYT1w5773no1_400.gif
  • I am so confused
  • Can we play the campaign before assuming the story is horrible...?
  • Iden will most likely defect as her planet gets destroyed by the Empire.
  • Got some news for ya. Well not really news. Just my opinion. Disney is gonna run this franchise into the ground. Gonna squeeze as much money from fans as possible then when it’s dead they will continue to squeeze it for what ever is left. It’s lazy writing in the movies with no direction. No story or arc behind characters. Just a quick money grab.

Now having said that I haven’t played the campaign obviously so I won’t rush to judge. I’ll wait and see. But so far it’s just Disney pushing girl power down our throats. TFA, Rogue one, and now this campaign. All female leads with no character or depth to them. It’s clear to see what they are pushing. Don’t get me wrong I love female leads. Some of my favorite characters/games have had female leads. But Disney seems like they wanna push it down everyone’s throat. But it’s a waiting game. I could be wrong. Probably am but who knows.
  • Jango2496 wrote: »
    Got some news for ya. Well not really news. Just my opinion. Disney is gonna run this franchise into the ground. Gonna squeeze as much money from fans as possible then when it’s dead they will continue to squeeze it for what ever is left. It’s lazy writing in the movies with no direction. No story or arc behind characters. Just a quick money grab.

Now having said that I haven’t played the campaign obviously so I won’t rush to judge. I’ll wait and see. But so far it’s just Disney pushing girl power down our throats. TFA, Rogue one, and now this campaign. All female leads with no character or depth to them. It’s clear to see what they are pushing. Don’t get me wrong I love female leads. Some of my favorite characters/games have had female leads. But Disney seems like they wanna push it down everyone’s throat. But it’s a waiting game. I could be wrong. Probably am but who knows.

Please....please dont be "that guy" who complains because females are the leads of the current Star Wars franchise.
  • I didn’t complain about them being the leads. I complain about them having zero character arc and being forced as a lead Bc they are a female. If you make a story about a character and she fits the mold then I’m all for it. But pushing it and then making a story to fit around that is what’s disappointing. Like I’ve said some of my all time favorite characters have been females. So just go ahead and stop that
  • TheStalker88
    6060 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    The whole OC and the book were probably created just for one reason, well 2. First to have Iden defect so players get to play for both sides. Second, a very bad plot device to get rid of the Empire so that FO could then magically reappear.
    I didn’t complain about them being the leads. I complain about them having zero character arc and being forced as a lead Bc they are a female. If you make a story about a character and she fits the mold then I’m all for it. But pushing it and then making a story to fit around that is what’s disappointing. Like I’ve said some of my all time favorite characters have been females. So just go ahead and stop that

Anyway, we know little about Rey right now. I bet she'll make way more sense after TLJ than she does now. I dont think shes a bad character; we just need more pieces to the puzzle. I didn't mind Jyn because the movie was more-so about stealing the plans to the DeathStar. They could've put a chimp as the main character but that wouldn't have changed the point of the movie. I can't make an inference about Iden because I know just about nothing about her. Im guessing people already found spoilers to the ending of the campaign so that's why theyre freaking out right now. All I'll say is that if she decides to turn on the Empire then that'll be disappointing. I'll save complete judgement after I eventually get around to playing the campaign.
  • Iden will most likely defect as her planet gets destroyed by the Empire.

Did you read this in the book that they released?
    The whole OC and the book were probably created just for one reason, well 2. First to have Iden defect so players get to play for both sides. Second, a very bad plot device to get rid of the Empire so that FO could then magically reappear.

When was the first time the FO was around?
  • Landeaux wrote: »
    Jango2496 wrote: »
    I didn’t complain about them being the leads. I complain about them having zero character arc and being forced as a lead Bc they are a female. If you make a story about a character and she fits the mold then I’m all for it. But pushing it and then making a story to fit around that is what’s disappointing. Like I’ve said some of my all time favorite characters have been females. So just go ahead and stop that

I can't make an inference about Iden because I know just about nothing about her. Im guessing people already found spoilers to the ending of the campaign so that's why theyre freaking out right now. All I'll say is that if she decides to turn on the Empire then that'll be disappointing. I'll save complete judgement after I eventually get around to playing the campaign.

Regardless of whether Iden ultimately defects or not, it's always interesting to see things from the Imperial point of view (the novels Thrawn, Lost Stars, and Tarkin are great examples of this sort of thing). Seeing how somebody that isn't at heart be a bad person can justify serving an organization so blatantly evil is intriguing to explore, and it can also be intriguing to see what factors would be needed to cause them to rethink their allegiances. The beginning of the campaign will obviously give us plenty of the former, and so long as the story we get is well-written I'm not opposed to seeing some of the latter.

I remember my personal favorite FPS campaign of all time: Halo 2. In that game we got a first hand look at the Covenant through the eyes of the Arbiter, which was a fantastic twist. It humanized the enemies that players from the first Halo game only saw as bad guys, and it didn't have to convince the audience that the Covenant was inherently good in order to accomplish that. It just presented these aliens as individuals with their own personalities and agendas, and let us spend half the game with one of them so that we could get to know him. The Arbiter ultimately turned against the Covenant after being betrayed, but seeing him make a heel-faced turn was still very satisfying to see.

So yeah, as long as the Imperial point of view in this campaign is adequately represented and the Imperial characters are well-written and sympathetic, I'm open to seeing Iden either making a heel-faced turn in the face of some kind of betrayal or staying a die-hard loyalist to the very end. They just need to do it well.
  • Empire is good if you look at federations as corrupt entities. It's all about what propaganda wants you to think.
  • TheStalker88
    6060 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Honestly noone cares, playing as evil should never be looked down on. Reason is, evil is a point of view. Disney though might not approve.
  • Alex64
    5548 posts Member
    Did you remember when Palpy use the CIS to destroy the Republic?
    It's the same thing now.
    Good night, oh baby! Sleep tight, oh baby!
  • Honestly noone cares, playing as evil should never be looked down on. Reason is, evil is a point of view. Disney though might not approve.

tumblr_m6wl0khutz1r7nc50.gif?w=640
  • Honestly noone cares, playing as evil should never be looked down on. Reason is, evil is a point of view. Disney though might not approve.

tumblr_m6wl0khutz1r7nc50.gif?w=640

giphy.gif
  • I would rather this be the ending. Makes more sense.

Youtube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/TroopperFoFo/ .
    Battlefront 2 , Battlefield and more.

I can't make an inference about Iden because I know just about nothing about her. Im guessing people already found spoilers to the ending of the campaign so that's why theyre freaking out right now. All I'll say is that if she decides to turn on the Empire then that'll be disappointing. I'll save complete judgement after I eventually get around to playing the campaign.

Regardless of whether Iden ultimately defects or not, it's always interesting to see things from the Imperial point of view (the novels Thrawn, Lost Stars, and Tarkin are great examples of this sort of thing). Seeing how somebody that isn't at heart be a bad person can justify serving an organization so blatantly evil is intriguing to explore, and it can also be intriguing to see what factors would be needed to cause them to rethink their allegiances. The beginning of the campaign will obviously give us plenty of the former, and so long as the story we get is well-written I'm not opposed to seeing some of the latter.

I remember my personal favorite FPS campaign of all time: Halo 2. In that game we got a first hand look at the Covenant through the eyes of the Arbiter, which was a fantastic twist. It humanized the enemies that players from the first Halo game only saw as bad guys, and it didn't have to convince the audience that the Covenant was inherently good in order to accomplish that. It just presented these aliens as individuals with their own personalities and agendas, and let us spend half the game with one of them so that we could get to know him. The Arbiter ultimately turned against the Covenant after being betrayed, but seeing him make a heel-faced turn was still very satisfying to see.

So yeah, as long as the Imperial point of view in this campaign is adequately represented and the Imperial characters are well-written and sympathetic, I'm open to seeing Iden either making a heel-faced turn in the face of some kind of betrayal or staying a die-hard loyalist to the very end. They just need to do it well.

Yeah “disappointed” was the wrong word to use. If the campaign is good then I’ll enjoy it either way. A better word would’ve been cliche; it would be rather cliche for someone to be bad but turn good at the very end.
  • Cad_Bane
    6252 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Landeaux wrote: »
    Got some news for ya. Well not really news. Just my opinion. Disney is gonna run this franchise into the ground. Gonna squeeze as much money from fans as possible then when it’s dead they will continue to squeeze it for what ever is left. It’s lazy writing in the movies with no direction. No story or arc behind characters. Just a quick money grab.

Please....please dont be "that guy" who complains because females are the leads of the current Star Wars franchise.

That’s no what he said but okay...
    It’s like when anyone ever complains about a character not being interesting or seeming forced some one is always there to tell them to quit complaining about female leads. When that’s not even the point MOST people are making. Whether you agree with the characters are not there is no denying that they are putting female leads into the current projects on purpose. The president of lucasfilm has clearly stated that is her intention multiple times. Which is fine but There’s a difference between having great female characters (which is great) and having something feel pushed.
  • Cad_Bane wrote: »

It’s like when anyone ever complains about a character not being interesting or seeming forced some one is always there to tell them to quit complaining about female leads. When that’s not even the point MOST people are making. Whether you agree with the characters are not there is no denying that they are putting female leads into the current projects on purpose. The president of lucasfilm has clearly stated that is her intention multiple times. Which is fine but There’s a difference between having great female characters (which is great) and having something feel pushed.

I can take a direct quote to prove why I said what I said but I’m not looking to bicker

I said what I said because of the quote “trying to push girl power down our throat.” I’m not looking to bicker over this, though.

Anyway, we know little about Rey right now. I bet she'll make way more sense after TLJ than she does now. I dont think shes a bad character; we just need more pieces to the puzzle. I didn't mind Jyn because the movie was more-so about stealing the plans to the DeathStar. They could've put a chimp as the main character but that wouldn't have changed the point of the movie. I can't make an inference about Iden because I know just about nothing about her. Im guessing people already found spoilers to the ending of the campaign so that's why theyre freaking out right now. All I'll say is that if she decides to turn on the Empire then that'll be disappointing. I'll save complete judgement after I eventually get around to playing the campaign.

Yeah I didn’t say my mind wouldn’t be changed about Rey. Just how it stands now I really don’t like her character. Not Bc she’s a female but Bc there was no story to her. No arc. She could do no wrong. To connect with a character there should be ups and downs so you can identify and have the feels for that character. She just doesn’t have that.

I didn’t mind jyn either. I liked that movie significantly better than TFA. I just thought she was bland along with every other character.

I’m just really hoping Rey doesn’t stay perfect and and has an arc to her character. But I am looking forward to playing as Iden in the campaign.

Yeah I didn’t say my mind wouldn’t be changed about Rey. Just how it stands now I really don’t like her character. Not Bc she’s a female but Bc there was no story to her. No arc. She could do no wrong. To connect with a character there should be ups and downs so you can identify and have the feels for that character. She just doesn’t have that.

I didn’t mind jyn either. I liked that movie significantly better than TFA. I just thought she was bland along with every other character.

I’m just really hoping Rey doesn’t stay perfect and and has an arc to her character. But I am looking forward to playing as Iden in the campaign.

Yeah the way I read one statement it made it seem like you were opposed just because Disney has been releasing content with female leads. I could’ve read too much into it. I see far too often on here people complaining about the ST because of its diversity and I just get annoyed when people say that because it shouldn’t be an issue if the movies are good. I know you meant well. My apologies

Yeah 100 percent agree with this. But either way I’m a Star Wars fan and always watch the movies unless it goes down hill so much that we get to a point of a jar jar spinoff. That’s my cutoff point. Can’t cross that line lol.
    Cad_Bane wrote: »

I said what I said because of the quote “trying to push girl power down our throat.” I’m not looking to bicker over this, though.

Me either. But there are choosing female leads to portray a strong female image. The president of lucasfilm has stated that multiple times, that is a fact. I haven’t really had no problem in particular with any casting so far but thigs can change. I thought Jyn was great and not a big fan of Rey based on what we saw in her movie.

No body hate Star Wars... more than Star Wars fan. Look man, I Ioved the OT, I learned to love the prequels, and even if everybody say that TFA it's a ripoff of A New Hope, I also loved it... I think that after the prequels, Disney took the smart and responsible choice and made something close to what they knew to be succesfull to bring respect back to star wars before trying something more risky (Rogue One). A side from the similarities and "Mary Sue" criticism TFA, its a fun adventure, with new and charismatic chacters and old familiar ones (presented in a respectfull way).

If you look objectively A New Hope it's a rather simplistic Story with simple (well constructed and charismatic) characters, Star Wars it's not The God Father, it never was and it's never going to be... Its more about the feeling (at least for me). That naive heroism, that "rescue the princess" or "find the map to the old wizard" kind of stuff that makes it everlasting (Which is exactly what the Prequels lacked with it's trade routes and over comvoluted plot).

About the "famale character" conondrum... there's no hidden agenda man. Kathleen Kenedy it's a woman... she want womens in her movies. George Lucas is a white man... he wanted white males as his main characters, it's only natural. If I was the head of a franchise, most main characters would be black, not because "I'm trying to send a message" but because I would naturally imagine my characters that way. I would mold the story for that to work, it's natural, and we've been doing it since the begining of cinema, video games and literature... you wanna look for a forced female character? look at Lara Croft from the Tom Raider games before 2013, oversexualize, with and outfit that didn't have any practical use whatsoever and sun glasses inside a piramid... (I love the games, but it's clear that it was a character created by men :P)

Besides, you are missing the point of Star Wars. It's a generational thing. I realize this when, some years ago I was talking bad about the prequels at a friend's family party and this teenager (his cousin's son or something) came to me and and said "I love the prequells, they're the movies from my childhood" then it hit me... the prequels were never meant for me in the first place... I grew up with the OT and now I'm an adult now and I expect something more from cinema (wow Blade Runner 2049... just wow). It's the same with TFA... Star Wars it's never gonna "be in the ground" it's simply going to change to a younger generation with each iteration... the "Star Wars Stories" (I hate that name) like Rogue One it's probably gonna be for a more mature audience, the old school star wars fan. And that's just great.

After all.. I do want my kid to have HIS star wars, and it's virtualy imposible that it's gonna be what I want from the saga but at that point, it's not meant for me anymore, and I can rather blame the liberals and it's SJW ****... or become a child again and enjoy it for what it is.

Each to its own man...

(sorry for my bad english)
  • Foxdie491 wrote: »

No body hate Star Wars... more than Star Wars fan. Look man, I Ioved the OT, I learned to love the prequels, and even if everybody say that TFA it's a ripoff of A New Hope, I also loved it... I think that after the prequels, Disney took the smart and responsible choice and made something close to what they knew to be succesfull to bring respect back to star wars before trying something more risky (Rogue One). A side from the similarities and "Mary Sue" criticism TFA, its a fun adventure, with new and charismatic chacters and old familiar ones (presented in a respectfull way).

If you look objectively A New Hope it's a rather simplistic Story with simple (well constructed and charismatic) characters, Star Wars it's not The God Father, it never was and it's never going to be... Its more about the feeling (at least for me). That naive heroism, that "rescue the princess" or "find the map to the old wizard" kind of stuff that makes it everlasting (Which is exactly what the Prequels lacked with it's trade routes and over comvoluted plot).

About the "famale character" conondrum... there's no hidden agenda man. Kathleen Kenedy it's a woman... she want womens in her movies. George Lucas is a white man... he wanted white males as his main characters, it's only natural. If I was the head of a franchise, most main characters would be black, not because "I'm trying to send a message" but because I would naturally imagine my characters that way. I would mold the story for that to work, it's natural, and we've been doing it since the begining of cinema, video games and literature... you wanna look for a forced female character? look at Lara Croft from the Tom Raider games before 2013, oversexualize, with and outfit that didn't have any practical use whatsoever and sun glasses inside a piramid... (I love the games, but it's clear that it was a character created by men :P)

Besides, you are missing the point of Star Wars. It's a generational thing. I realize this when, some years ago I was talking bad about the prequels at a friend's family party and this teenager (his cousin's son or something) came to me and and said "I love the prequells, they're the movies from my childhood" then it hit me... the prequels were never meant for me in the first place... I grew up with the OT and now I'm an adult now and I expect something more from cinema (wow Blade Runner 2049... just wow). It's the same with TFA... Star Wars it's never gonna "be in the ground" it's simply going to change to a younger generation with each iteration... the "Star Wars Stories" (I hate that name) like Rogue One it's probably gonna be for a more mature audience, the old school star wars fan. And that's just great.

After all.. I do want my kid to have HIS star wars, and it's virtualy imposible that it's gonna be what I want from the saga but at that point, it's not meant for me anymore, and I can rather blame the liberals and it's SJW ****... or become a child again and enjoy it for what it is.

Each to its own man...

Well said
  • Cad_Bane
    6252 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Foxdie491 wrote: »

Each to its own man...

Nobody should choose any role because of skin color or gender that match them. The movies are for everyone and Everyone should should feel welcome and feel like they have a character to root for. I doubt George chose people just because they looked like him. That’s a pretty bold statement.
  • Destroying your enemies and all incompetent allies to make new order that surpasses the Empire.

That's Operation Cinder. Right? To me it makes perfect sense that Empire would do just that.
  • Alex64
    5548 posts Member
    It's a Palpy's style masquerade
    Good night, oh baby! Sleep tight, oh baby!
    Foxdie491 wrote: »

Each to its own man...

Nobody should choose any role because of skin color or gender that match them. The movies are for everyone and Everyone should should feel welcome and feel like they have a character to root for. I doubt George chose people just because they looked like him. That’s a pretty bold statement.

Well, that's an over simplification of what I said. But I'll bite :P

I'll give you a small exersice that they gave us in my screenplay classes: Create and Idian hero (asuming you are not Indian, if you are, I bet you get the point): Background, traits, personality and context. You'll find out that it is harder than you imagine... not imposible, but hard.

I'm not saying that George though "Luke's gonna be a white guy, just like me". It's a subconscious thing, most creator put traits of themselves in their heroes especially gender and ethnicity) and it's not a racist or agender supremacy thing, again, it's just natural. It's the fastest way to rapidly connect with the character that you're trying to create.

Other more ambitious creators walk the extra mile and create great main character of diferent culture or gender. But lets face it... George, we love you and admire you man, but you're not Dostoevsky... you left that pretty clear with the prequels. The same goes for Kathleen Kennedy, and in the end they are not supose to be! I mean you think because I'm black my favorite character is Lando or Windu ? It's Luke Skywalker man! I don't need to have the same skin colour or gender to love a character. Same goes the other way around. George didn't need to go against his instincts and make a transexual chinese hero to make a good hero. And Kathleen didn't had to go against her personal wishes and make a white male character to appeal the traditionalist Star Wars fans...

In the end it's allways more creator's ego than political agenda.

Rey has an arc of discovering her abilities and becoming one with the force and it isn't complete yet.
    Luke Skywalker was the same, he was learning the ways of the force and was able to destroy the death star like how Rey was able to defeat an untrained Kylo Ren.

Rey has an arc of discovering her abilities and becoming one with the force and it isn't complete yet.
    Luke Skywalker was the same, he was learning the ways of the force and was able to destroy the death star like how Rey was able to defeat an untrained Kylo Ren.

Completely agree
  • Cad_Bane
    6252 posts Member
    edited October 2017

Kylo isn’t untraimed. He was injured during battle and also weakened in the force
  • I am hoping we see internal Empire resistance to Operation Cinder. It is definitely a Palpatine move, I just don't see what's in it for most of the Empire bureaucracy to actually follow through now he's dead.
    All Multiplayer modes playable offline, please. Don't forget the hero/villain AI to fight against too.
    #soloplayersmatter #singleplayersmatter #offlinegamersmatter

Me either. But there are choosing female leads to portray a strong female image. The president of lucasfilm has stated that multiple times, that is a fact. I haven’t really had no problem in particular with any casting so far but thigs can change. I thought Jyn was great and not a big fan of Rey based on what we saw in her movie.
    I think the acting and poor story of TFA influences that
    Emotion yet Peace, Ignorance yet Knowledge, Passion yet Serenity, Chaos yet Harmony, Death yet the Force
  • Laser921 wrote: »

I think the acting and poor story of TFA influences that

The acting and story in TFA are both miles better than in the prequels.
    O1N7XfL.gif
  • I am hoping we see internal Empire resistance to Operation Cinder. It is definitely a Palpatine move, I just don't see what's in it for most of the Empire bureaucracy to actually follow through now he's dead.

Word of the Emperor starting this operation would spread quickly and it would be shut down quickly. Im sure every Imperial would be alerted that there's a plan to run the Empire into the ground and there would be alot of caution. No openings for rebels to strike and everyone being on the defensive more than offensive.
  • Danxoln
    2473 posts Member
    Devilfish wrote: »
    Can we play the campaign before assuming the story is horrible...?

• Danxoln wrote: »
    Devilfish wrote: »
    Can we play the campaign before assuming the story is horrible...?

Good idea.
  • The acting and story in TFA are both miles better than in the prequels.

Acting, yeah. But story?

The Prequels overall big-picture story was actually pretty well developed and interesting, if you read the prequel events like a series of news bulletins with pictures it seems a lot more developed and interesting than OT news bulletins, which are repetitive and dry. I did that for another project a while back, copied here with pictures and detail removed.

Rough Prequels:
    I
    • Armed corporation invades Naboo in an elaborate plot to expose the weakness of the Republic's politically moderate chancellor
    • Naboo's Hardliner Senator Palpatine is elected to replace the Chancellor, promising to restore order
    • Evil Sith reveal themselves for first time in millenia, putting Jedi Order on alert
    II
    • Corporations and wealthy systems secede from Republic and form a Separatist Union
    • Republic reluctantly commissions a Grand Army, breaking long tradition of pacifism
    • Grand Army and Jedi have major confrontation with Separatists, starting the galactic Clone War
    III
    • To win the Clone Wars and bring peace, Senate votes to reform into a more efficient Empire
    • Jedi discover Palpatine's true Sith nature and confront him, but fail to arrest him
    • In retaliation for the coup attempt, New Emperor Palpatine orders the Grand Army to exterminate the "traitor" Jedi Order and hunt down survivors
    • Senator Organa and political allies attempt to rescue Jedi and frustrate Empire's plans, starting a Rebel movement

Rough Originals:
    IV
    • Plans for the Empire's superweapon are smuggled to the Rebel Alliance, who prepare an ambush
    • The Empire reveals its Death Star superweapon by destroying pacifist planet and killing the founder of the Rebellion, Bail Organa
    • Rebels exploit flaw in the Death Star to destroy it, weakening the Empire
    V
    • Imperial Fleet is committed to tracking down and destroying Rebels, successfully destroying a key base
    • Surviving members of the Jedi Order reunite to train Skywalker to confront Empire's Sith Leadership
    • Independent metropolis Cloud City betrays the Empire, thwarting their efforts to capture key rebel agents
    VI
    • Emperor Palpatine orders the construction of a second, greater Death Star
    • The Rebels mount an all-out assault, deactivating the second Death Star's defences and ultimately destroying it
    • With the Emperor killed by Jedi Skywalker and the Imperial Fleet routed, the Republic is restored

Rough Sequels (So far):
    VII
    • The remnants of the Imperial fleet coalesce into a new authoritarian movement: The First Order
    • First Order reveal their superweapon by destroying the Republic's capital and crippling their fleets
    • Republic special forces bomb the First Order's superweapon, causing a catastrophic misfire

If you're noticing there are few references to any movie characters that's because they are just interchangeable "details" as far as the world is concerned. Focusing on characters makes for great cinema, but other than Palpatine and Bail Organa they don't matter much to the cumulative story being told across the whole franchise.

In this sense I think the prequels were a good story terribly told. The original series was the reverse.

Can't say for sure about the Sequels yet. Personally, I was confused as heck when Starkiller Base was firing, since they never bothered to explain who or what was being hit, what the strategic importance of the target was, why taking out 1 system would cripple a galactic government made up of millions more.

Seems to be following OT tradition of a shallow big-picture story, told in a captivating and energetic way.

Hopefully the big picture stuff gets more attention in TLJ, or at least here in the BF2 campaign so we know what's actually going on. I want Operation Cinder to be more than just a plot device to push the story along, instead for it to actually contribute to the overall Star Wars narrative. Here's hoping Disney actually have a plan here.
    All Multiplayer modes playable offline, please. Don't forget the hero/villain AI to fight against too.
    #soloplayersmatter #singleplayersmatter #offlinegamersmatter
  • The acting and story in TFA are both miles better than in the prequels.

Acting, yeah. But story?

You're talking about plot and concepts, not story. Story is revolved around character arcs, not the overarching plot. Obviously, a good plot and interesting world building can compliment and enhance the story of the characters, but the story of the characters always comes first. Any premise and "big picture" can be made interesting with captivating storytelling, just like they can be made unwatchable with bad storytelling. Interesting concepts are, well, interesting, but they don't amount to anything without interesting and relatable characters who take us through them.

Now, the storytelling in TFA is not perfect by any means, it's pretty generic tbh, but at least in TFA I can describe the main characters without going into how they look or what their occupation/profession is. In other words, TFA has personality, prequels have neat concepts (that work well in a video game, I give you that).
    O1N7XfL.gif
  • It’s the high ranking officials betraying the empire (which was going to collapse eventually anyway) so that they could start the first order.
  • Orblivion
    127 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    I haven't read any of the novels surrounding the new trilogy just yet and this is kinda off topic, but what is the state of the rest of the galaxy? It seemed to me like the Republic was still a fairly small government during the events of TFA, and the capital was no longer Coruscant. Are there other Imperial remnants similar to the First Order still ruling their own regions, or are most systems just doing their own thing at this point? What government is in place on Coruscant, if any?
  • Orblivion wrote: »
    I haven't read any of the novels surrounding tRepublic, arguably the goal of the Ot, had only 30 seconds of screen timehe new trilogy just yet and this is kinda off topic, but what is the state of the rest of the galaxy? It seemed to me like the Republic was still a fairly small government during the events of TFA, and the capital was no longer Coruscant. Are there other Imperial remnants similar to the First Order still ruling their own regions, or are most systems just doing their own thing at this point? What government is in place on Coruscant, if any?
    short answer is disney kinda made a crappy state of affairs. Like the New Republic was reduced to pansies

Emotion yet Peace, Ignorance yet Knowledge, Passion yet Serenity, Chaos yet Harmony, Death yet the Force
    Orblivion wrote: »
    I haven't read any of the novels surrounding tRepublic, arguably the goal of the Ot, had only 30 seconds of screen timehe new trilogy just yet and this is kinda off topic, but what is the state of the rest of the galaxy? It seemed to me like the Republic was still a fairly small government during the events of TFA, and the capital was no longer Coruscant. Are there other Imperial remnants similar to the First Order still ruling their own regions, or are most systems just doing their own thing at this point? What government is in place on Coruscant, if any?
    short answer is disney kinda made a **** state of affairs. Like the New Republic was reduced to pansies

Admittedly I haven't read all of the canon material between RotJ and TFA, but at least in Bloodlines the New Republic is portrayed as a pretty realistic galaxy wide government. There will be those who want to steer it more towards what the Empire used to be, because that's the most efficient way to rule and control such a vast state, while others would go as far as dissolving central government and letting each planet govern themselves. Such a wide range of agendas and interests would realistically result in a very bureaucratic and slow moving government.
    O1N7XfL.gif
    Orblivion wrote: »
    short answer is disney kinda made a **** state of affairs. Like the New Republic was reduced to pansies

PREACH! All the struggle and sacrifice the hero's went through, 30 years later? Who's Luke Skywalker? FML
  • Orblivion wrote: »
    I haven't read any of the novels surrounding the new trilogy just yet and this is kinda off topic, but what is the state of the rest of the galaxy? It seemed to me like the Republic was still a fairly small government during the events of TFA, and the capital was no longer Coruscant. Are there other Imperial remnants similar to the First Order still ruling their own regions, or are most systems just doing their own thing at this point? What government is in place on Coruscant, if any?

Let me explain what I can:

While the New Republic was only a fraction of the size of the Galactic Republic and Empire, it was on friendly terms with most of the systems in galaxy that chose to remain independent (such as Ryloth). Shortly after the Battle of Jakku and with the Galactic Civil War over, the Senate passed the Military Disarmament Act that cut the size of the New Republic's military forces by ninety percent. Instead of maintaining a force as large as the old Grand Army of the Republic, the NR focused its military investments towards training local planetary defense forces. Mon Mothma initially proposed the act because she felt the new democratic government should focus on political cooperation rather than control by massive army as the Empire did. That said, by the time of The Force Awakens, the Republic fleet was still the largest peacekeeping force in the galaxy.

As for the First Order (which was formed from select remnants of the Imperial fleet that fled into the Unknown Regions after the Battle of Jakku), the New Republic didn't even know it existed until six years before The Force Awakens or less, let alone that they were building a superweapon capable of one-shotting entire star systems from the other side of the galaxy. Since they were heavily concentrated in the Unknown Regions, the full extent of the First Order's military buildup remained a secret to the galaxy at large, with many in the Republic downplaying the threat they posed. Leia saw the threat posed by the First Order more seriously than her Senate colleagues did, so she formed the Resistance as a check against them. The Republic didn't officially endorse Leia's activities, though some of Leia's friends in the Senate covertly supported the Resistance with funding.

Coruscant became a part of the New Republic after the Empire's defeat. In fact, when the Empire surrendered to the Republic, it actually gave the planet to them. However, the Republic decided to not make it the capital; instead, the capital would be rotated between different member worlds with each election. The first capital was Mon Mothma's homeworld of Chandrila, and during The Force Awakens it was Hosnian Prime.

In regards to other Imperial remnants aside from the First Order, there don't appear to be any by the time of The Force Awakens. If any exist, they're almost certainly so small and weak as to be complete non-factors on the galactic stage.