criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Felucia Transmission
No Match for a Good Blaster

Should Yoda Get A Block

124Next

Replies

• First 5 seconds of this.

That's the most blaster bolts deflected per second in all the films combined. If that's not a strong enough case for Yoda to have some sort of block... I don't know what is.
  • GeneralHux wrote: »

First 5 seconds of this.

That's the most blaster bolts deflected per second in all the films combined. If that's not a strong enough case for Yoda to have some sort of block... I don't know what is.

Is that an actual statistic, or did you just estimate? Not trying to call you out, I'm just curious if there's a place where someone actually counted all the blaster deflections, because that sounds both silly and awsome.

Side note, the light saber throw Yoda does is one of the coolest things ever. I love the way it just stick in that dude and than Yoda jumps on him to pull it out instead of using the easier and less bad ***** method of pulling it out with the force.
  • giphy.gif
  • It funny some people would say saber throw is a dark side ability and here we see Yoda doing it. Light side heroes should have saber throw abilities to make it easier on the dev team. That way we can get more saber heroes on both sides. It's ok if not everyone has a unique ability.
  • NightFury wrote: »
    It funny some people would say saber throw is a dark side ability and here we see Yoda doing it. Light side heroes should have saber throw abilities to make it easier on the dev team. That way we can get more saber heroes on both sides. It's ok if not everyone has a unique ability.

Never seen anyone say that the saber throw is a dark side ability. Also, all the heroes already have their unique abilities so they aren't gonna change it for a saber throw.
  • I don't think the saber throw is a dark side power. That being said I'm pretty sure that that's only the second time anybody threw their light saber in the movies, with the first being Vader. I've always felt that video games are what really popularize it.

When Vader throws his it didn't even look like a force powered throw, he just kind of chucked it.
  • "Size, Matter it does not"
  • lol, the reply chain to my comment.... wow.

i think if he is as fast as he was in the prequel movies, he shouldn't have one. if he walks like he does on the way to fight Dooku, then yea... he needs one since he is slow as a snail there. lol
    The greatest moderator that EA has ever had.

i think if he is as fast as he was in the prequel movies, he shouldn't have one. if he walks like he does on the way to fight Dooku, then yea... he needs one since he is slow as a snail there. lol

All lights average users should have a block. No ifs or buts.

All lights average users should have a block. No ifs or buts.

Exactly
  • Exactly seconded
  • I can see the argument for every saber wielder haveing a block, but because this game isn't built around just Hero v Hero gameplay I can understand dropping the block to prevent haveing to tone down other abilities.

As cool as Maul having a block would be, I think he becomes much more unique by needing to use speed as his sole defense. By taking away his block
    that leaves the developers more wiggle room to play with other powers and statistics.

I think I would prefer he had a block, even if his stamina drained incredibly fast using it, but there are certainly good arguments for not having one. The biggest issue I have trying to decide is HvV. I need to see some high skill players using him in that mode to fully convince me one way or another.
  • Cad_Bane
    6252 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    Exactly seconded

I feel like this wouldn’t be a discussion for any hero if maul had a block. I mean think about, if all saber heroes just had a block to begin with than I doubt anyone would be making threads demanding the block ability be removed!!
  • Cad_Bane wrote: »
    Exactly seconded

I feel like this wouldn’t be a discussion for any hero if maul had a block. I mean think about, if all saber heroes just had a block to begin with than I doubt anyone would be making threads demanding the block ability be removed!!

Exactly
    Blocking is a fundamental skill for them

If Yoda gets a block Darth Maul definitely should
    Exactly seconded

Exactly

It used to be a fundamental skill. Not anymore :(
    Exactly seconded

Exactly

Yes precisely, Yoda is going to have a block trust me. Apparently he can heal himself and other teammates.
    MLtmeEi.png
    " If you're not with me, then you're my enemy."
  • I think if Maul gets his block later, maybe his block against laser fire makes his stamina fall faster than blocking against another lightsaber.
  • He's getting a block guys, everyone just chill out.

Dennis confirmed this months ago.
    ⦗ XBOX GT: EIusive DJ⦘~ "The Knights of Gareth are eternal..." ✔
    \⧹If you happen to have ANY ideas for any hero you desire to have in Battlefront 2, Let me know in a DM!⧸/
    How to make Every Hero Viable in Battlefront 2

aakkhwbkosde.gif

Exactly seconded

Yes.
  • Alex64
    7663 posts Member
    I can see those YouTube videos in my mind "Block destroyed my SWBF II experience, lightsaber users are too OP, nerf it or I'll leave the game"
    Why so serious?
  • Alex64 wrote: »
    I can see those YouTube videos in my mind "Block destroyed my SWBF II experience, lightsaber users are too OP, nerf it or I'll leave the game"

I can't.
  • Absolutely. All lightsaber wielding heroes and villains should have the ability to block! For those few that some believe will be overpowered... then decrease the block time! It's kind of disappointing when your specific hero/villain can't block while in lightsaber combat with another lightsaber wielder. Also, when being shot at by multiple troopers, it would be nice to block the blaster bolts! I don't think they would try to dodge and run around the blaster fire and lightsaber swings, they would block them with their own lightsaber! Everyone from Maul to Yoda needs to block. Please! Adjust the block time accordingly if you have to, but allow all lightsaber wielding heroes and villains the ability to block! Thank you very much for reading this, for your hard work on this project, and I look forward to this game when it releases!
  • Locke4__ wrote: »
    Absolutely. All lightsaber wielding heroes and villains should have the ability to block! For those few that some believe will be overpowered... then decrease the block time! It's kind of disappointing when your specific hero/villain can't block while in lightsaber combat with another lightsaber wielder. Also, when being shot at by multiple troopers, it would be nice to block the blaster bolts! I don't think they would try to dodge and run around the blaster fire and lightsaber swings, they would block them with their own lightsaber! Everyone from Maul to Yoda needs to block. Please! Adjust the block time accordingly if you have to, but allow all lightsaber wielding heroes and villains the ability to block! Thank you very much for reading this, for your hard work on this project, and I look forward to this game when it releases!

This

I have a question I'm hoping you can answer:
    For one of Luke's Star Cards (Rush Immunity), it says that every Rush makes Luke Skywalker more resistant to damage for three seconds. It can max out at 15% damage reduction. Does this mean than if you can use two Rushes within three seconds then there would be a period where Luke has 30% damage resistance? Three Rushes within 3 seconds and theres a period where you have 45% damage reduction? Thanks.
  • Yes, Yoda should get a lightsaber block. He is weak against lightsaber dualist.
  • Still think all force-sensitive saber heroes should block.
    We need a Tier System for the Heroes. It would justify the "op-ness" of Vader over Han and Chewbacca. It would cost much more to unlock Vader, and would require you to save a lot more than for other heroes and vehicles, but it would be rewarding in the end...

"It would essentially ruin the eras and turn them into nothing much more than the same thing and same experience but with a different skin. Which is contrary to the point in having eras in the first place." - ZmanGames
  • Off topic.. anyone played yodas starfighter yet? Thoughts and opinions I'd love to hear :)
  • mastery0ta wrote: »
    Off topic.. anyone played yodas starfighter yet? Thoughts and opinions I'd love to hear :)

I was so close! Had the points went to buy it, but decided to read the abilities first, and in those fleeting seconds someone else claimed the glory of Yoda.
  • mastery0ta wrote: »
    Off topic.. anyone played yodas starfighter yet? Thoughts and opinions I'd love to hear :)

I was so close! Had the points went to buy it, but decided to read the abilities first, and in those fleeting seconds someone else claimed the glory of Yoda.

Ah maybe next time. ;) The eta class is a personal fave of mine, looking toward to it! thanks for reply
  • lok
    976 posts Member
    well,considering i just had 1v1 against Yoda with the heavy machine gun with explosive card etc and he took it like a boss and sliced me,i would say no,he does not need a block.
  • He has a block. wtf u guys on about?

His right click is a force block.
  • Starcatraz wrote: »
    He has a block. **** u guys on about?

But he can't block sabers, he gets easily destroyed in saber duels. I mean he should be a top 2 powerful hero(1v1 hero duels)
  • Yate1123 wrote: »
    Starcatraz wrote: »
    He has a block. **** u guys on about?

But he can't block sabers, he gets easily destroyed in saber duels. I mean he should be a top 2 powerful hero(1v1 hero duels)

We need a Tier System for the Heroes. It would justify the "op-ness" of Vader over Han and Chewbacca. It would cost much more to unlock Vader, and would require you to save a lot more than for other heroes and vehicles, but it would be rewarding in the end...

"It would essentially ruin the eras and turn them into nothing much more than the same thing and same experience but with a different skin. Which is contrary to the point in having eras in the first place." - ZmanGames
  • Personally I am in favor of giving all lightsaber-wielding heroes the capability to block both blaster fire and lightsaber strikes, however I am not proposing that all lightsaber-wielding heroes are equally strong in their blocking capabilities.

An example that has been proposed on multiple occasions is to have some heroes capable of aiming redirected blaster bolts at enemies whereas for other heroes, blaster bolts would be redirected in random directions. In addition, I would like to suggest that, when blocking either blaster bolts or lightsaber strikes , the amount of stamina consumed will vary from one hero to the next. You can have one hero that can block with ease, redirecting blaster bolts, while another hero requires significant strain to block even a couple blaster bolts while also unable to aim the bolts back at enemies. You can have a hero that is good at blocking lightsaber strikes, consuming a low amount of stamina, while being less efficient at blocking blaster bolts, or vice versa.

I would strongly prefer that type of variation from one hero to the next instead of simply saying that a particular hero can or can't block which is both less immersive and less dynamic.
  • bluebluw wrote: »
    Personally I am in favor of giving all lightsaber-wielding heroes the capability to block both blaster fire and lightsaber strikes, however I am not proposing that all lightsaber-wielding heroes are equally strong in their blocking capabilities.

An example that has been proposed on multiple occasions is to have some heroes capable of aiming redirected blaster bolts at enemies whereas for other heroes, blaster bolts would be redirected in random directions. In addition, I would like to suggest that, when blocking either blaster bolts or lightsaber strikes , the amount of stamina consumed will vary from one hero to the next. You can have one hero that can block with ease, redirecting blaster bolts, while another hero requires significant strain to block even a couple blaster bolts while also unable to aim the bolts back at enemies. You can have a hero that is good at blocking lightsaber strikes, consuming a low amount of stamina, while being less efficient at blocking blaster bolts, or vice versa.

I would strongly prefer that type of variation from one hero to the next instead of simply saying that a particular hero can or can't block which is both less immersive and less dynamic.

I love that. I could give some examples, too, that would support this.

Dooku: Extremely proficient in lightsaber combat due to mastery of Makashi (focus on precision and dexterity).
    Strengths: good defense against lightsaber attacks, makes opponents consume more stamina to block his attacks (his attacks deal more damage to blocks, kinda like Marth's Neutral Special in SSB, where the damage he does to your shield is far greater than the damage he does to you).
    Weaknesses: consumes extra stamina to block blasters, slight spread on reflected bolts.

Obi Wan: THE master of Soresu, the defensive form. Best defense in the game.
    Strengths: Stamina consumption for blocking is significantly lower than stamina consumption for attacking.
    Weaknesses: none, overall great.

Maul: Highly skilled in Juyo, the ferocity form, and Ataru, the agile form, he primarily uses his offense to compensate for defense.
    Strengths: fast, wide attacks (what he has now), blocking doesn't slow him nearly as much as other saber wielders (can run with only a 25% decrease in speed while blocking)
    Weaknesses: weak defense, blocking consumes even more stamina than it does for Dooku, and cannot aim the deflected blaster bolts

Yoda: while he has mastered all saber forms, he utilizes primarily Ataru, the agility form, to compensate for his small size.
    Strengths: fast attacks, high burst mobility with attacks and dodges, hard to hit.
    Weaknesses: block is weak, especially to heavy hitting attacks, high stamina consumption for all blocks/attacks/dodges/etc.
    (PS, Yoda shouldn't have 700hp; should have been 550, especially with his Presence ability that gives him 200 extra health. I mean, seriously, he temporarily has the same health as Vader ATM. 550hp with block would have been fine)

You could also equip Boost Star Cards to enhance aspects of their basic kit, whether it bolsters their strong points or upgrades their weaknesses to be less exploitable. A possible Star Card both Maul and Dooku could have is one that allows the first 2 deflections within the first .5 seconds of blocking to have perfect accuracy, but this card could be Epic tier (reduces weakness). Another one could be a Star Card for Obi Wan, which makes him consume even less stamina to block (bolsters strength).

• Landeaux
    3467 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    I really like the way his Force absorb works. You can absorb bullets and Force abilities (at least the Emperor’s basic lightning attack from what I’ve certainly seen) and it directly empowers your Unleash. Great mechanic.
  • ^That's really cool. Honestly.
  • Landeaux wrote: »
    I really like the way his Force absorb works. You can absorb bullets and Force abilities (at least the Emperor’s basic lightning attack from what I’ve certainly seen) and it directly empowers your Unleash. Great mechanic.

I saw that. I'm hoping someone makes a video about testing the limits of the ability.

Personally I am in favor of giving all lightsaber-wielding heroes the capability to block both blaster fire and lightsaber strikes, however I am not proposing that all lightsaber-wielding heroes are equally strong in their blocking capabilities.

This
  • Landeaux wrote: »

I saw that. I'm hoping someone makes a video about testing the limits of the ability.

If I knew how to post captures from my Xbox I can show you what I did with it once. Absorbed shots, my Unleash bonus from the absorb maxed out very quickly, then I Unleashed and it was pretty devastating; there’s even Star Cards to buff the ability in certain ways

THIS
  • Yoda has a block, he uses tutaminis and can stop laser fire and Palpatine's lightning. I think they gave him this just to vary him up from Luke/Rey/Kylo/Vader.

Also the more damage he absorbs with his tutaminis, the stronger his force push becomes, as a way to mirror the duel he had with Palpatine in the senate, where he blocked the lightning with his hands and then pushed back harder.

This entire mechanic would have to be stripped away from Yoda in order to give him just another boring lightsaber block the same as the other characters. It is also a very iconic power for Yoda, something we don't see anyone else in the movies capable of doing, so I think it was smart to add this as a nod to prequel Yoda over a lightsaber block.

Then question then becomes should he be able to block lightsabers with it? I don't see how he can. Already it is quite easy to get around someones block, because it only defends directly in front of them, if you go around a character and get them from the side or behind the block does nothing. How would this work with Yoda's small model? all your swings would be from the side, above or behind at some point, so can Yoda just 360 defend himself?

When you see how lightsaber melee attacks work in the game, and get a good feel for them, you see how cumbersome it is, and how you have no control over the animation or swing, Vader, Maul and Kylo all swing wide, left to right, and Vader has a powerful overhead swing all of which would get around Yoda if he was trying to lightsaber block.
  • @Cecil

I edited your post above and removed the profanity as its not allowed. The filters exist for a reason, you editing your post to go around them wont help. With your record, final warning on this as next time it will result in time away.
    Volunteer EA Forums Senior Moderator, EA Star Wars Battlefront Forums Senior Moderator and EA Answers HQ Hero.

Check out the forum rules & guidelines
  • Yes, Yoda should be able to block.
    Add me on PSN: jaylib22