criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Clone Commando Community Transmission
September Community Calendar

Why Does the Hero Roster Suck in Battlefront II?

Prev1
As hyped as I was for EA's Star Wars Battlefront II when they started to push out their new gameplay reveals and trailers, I'm sorely disappointed after the full roster was leaked two months ago by an alpha tester. After EA was clearly bombarded on social media with requests to add Anakin Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi and fan-favourite General Grievous, I was furious to find out I'd be paying $110 for the Deluxe Edition of the game so I could play as Bossk, who had a total of 14 seconds of screentime in the Original Trilogy of the Star Wars saga, instead of Anakin Skywalker or Obi-Wan, who were two of the main characters from the Prequel Trilogy. To make matters worse, Lando Calrissian was added instead of the beloved General Grievous... how can EA not understand that players want a new experience, not a CTRL+C/CTRL+V cut and paste of a character from the previous Battlefront?

Look, I like the look of the new game. The gameplay is great, the visuals are stunning, the classes are cool, the map options are decent... but the characters? C'mon EA, you can do better than adding only two DLC characters before the end of the year. Don't give us new blasters, new Stormtrooper colours or a new gamemode. Give us the heroes that actually deserve to be in the game (Bossk is a joke, we need characters who we love and the prequel and sequel trilogies have plenty of characters that deserve a place in the game). If smaller developers with miniature budgets can create a Star Wars game with 30+ authentic heroes, why can't you? Give us what we want, we'll buy your game. It's a good deal.

Replies

• Lando is way easier than Grevious. Also probably easier to bring heros over from the last game than completely new ones. We will get Grevious eventually.

Most people are OT lovers and hate the prequels. We are just a small part of the community.

Game-making of this quality takes time. If it was easy to create 30+ heros, why wouldn’t they do it? They’d make more money. Regardless the hero’s of the original games were all the same.
  • bfloo
    15680 posts Member
    This is an infantry game, not a hero game.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• EvazanJr wrote: »
    Lando is way easier than Grevious. Also probably easier to bring heros over from the last game than completely new ones. We will get Grevious eventually.

Most people are OT lovers and hate the prequels. We are just a small part of the community.

Game-making of this quality takes time. If it was easy to create 30+ heros, why wouldn’t they do it? They’d make more money. Regardless the hero’s of the original games were all the same.

People assume here that making video games is magic with limitless resources.

To address the topic I think they have already confirmed that at least obi wan is coming to the game and will be released along General Grievious.
  • What's wrong with Lando?
    Ponds main

Officer of The Knights of Gareth
    uruzea55jgr4.png
  • I'm fine with the hero roster we have, they did the best they could do.

I'm hoping for some more Jedi heroes down the line, but for now we're just gonna have to have fun with what we have for now. Heh, I know I did from the beta!
    Han is so much better from the last game & do I really have to say how cool Maul is? His appearance shows it all.
    They did a fantastic job with the heroes and I honestly can't wait for some more to show up.

We have that Crait dlc to look forward to with Phasma and Finn.
    I really hope Finn has Anakin's light saber though, that was a highlight from that Takodana scene "I need a weapon!" "You have one!!!" So cool, I really want to live out that fantasy.
    ⦗ XBOX GT: EIusive DJ⦘~ "The Knights of Gareth are eternal..." ✔
    \⧹If you happen to have ANY ideas for any hero you desire to have in Battlefront 2, Let me know in a DM!⧸/
    How to make Every Hero Viable in Battlefront 2

aakkhwbkosde.gif

• If they weren't working on Yoda and Grievous first, I'm pretty sure we would have way more than 14 heroes.
    Your journey nears its end.
    fg4b6t2kcplam2qmfrnt.gif
  • bfloo wrote: »

It's a Star Wars game, and Star Wars became famous because of the iconic lightsabers. If the best they can do is put in only 6 heroes/villains with lightsabers, they aren't trying hard enough. There are plenty of older Star Wars games with smaller budgets that have added tons of characters, such as the old Battlefront II, and quite frankly, I think EA should be capable of dishing out a game that provides an authentic Star Wars experience where we can enjoy playing as the "iconic heroes and villains" they promised us, not 14 second screentime rubbish.
  • What's wrong with Lando?

Lando is fun and all, but I'd rather see more characters in other eras. Lando is just another blaster-wielder with special traits. Personally, me and my friends would like to see more force-wielders in the game, especially Jedi and Sith. Palpatine with his lightsaber would make my day too.
  • Well for one, it's not EA that makes the game, it's DICE. EA is just the publisher. And look at the last game . It took them 3 months to make 2 heroes, and even after they came out, they still needing some tweaking after the initial launch of their dlc. If making heroes were an easy task, we probably could've had more heroes in the last game. And keep in mind they have to balance between 3 eras. DICE started working on the game even while still working on the last BF dlc's, giving really only a little over a year to work on this game.
    Had Battlefront been delayed by a year, then I'd be disappointed by the roster since then they'd have 2 years to work on the game. But heroes a fraction of this game. They've tripled the launch vehicles, more than doubled the planets, and on top of that, they added an actual campaign. I'll gladly wait for heroes if it means I'm getting a bunch of other things, along with 2 heroes every month.
    Xbox GT: Silentboss009
  • aaa5f wrote: »
    To make matters worse, Lando Calrissian was added instead of the beloved General Grievous...
    There is no Battlefront without Lando. Lando, his cape and glorious moustache are must. I would be furious if they add Grievous when there is no Lando.
  • Octavious_Wrex
    3043 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    aaa5f wrote: »
    To make matters worse, Lando Calrissian was added instead of the beloved General Grievous...
    There is no Battlefront without Lando. Lando, his cape and glorious moustache are must. I would be furious if they add Grievous when there is no Lando.

Yeah, I want Grievous someday but Lando is the coolest guy in the galaxy. Not only did he lead the assault on DS2, he personally blew it up. Luke needed the force to blow up a DeathStar, all Lando needed was sweet hair and a bad ***** cape!

Side note to whoever said it was light sabers that made Star Wars famous, that's ludicrous. Go back and watch the first film, you know the one that made all the other ones possible because it was a smash hit. There's almost no light sabers in it.

• bfloo
    15680 posts Member

Yeah, I want Grievous someday but Lando is the coolest guy in the galaxy. Not only did he lead the assault on DS2, he personally blew it up. Luke needed the force to blow up a DeathStar, all Lando needed was sweet hair and a bad **** cape!

Side note to whoever said it was light sabers that made Star Wars famous, that's ludicrous. Go back and watch the first film, you know the one that made all the other ones possible because it was a smash hit. There's almost no light sabers in it.

Lando had something more powerful than the Force, he had the power of the hues with him.

h846398gb27k.png

As hyped as I was for EA's Star Wars Battlefront II when they started to push out their new gameplay reveals and trailers, I'm sorely disappointed after the full roster was leaked two months ago by an alpha tester. After EA was clearly bombarded on social media with requests to add Anakin Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi and fan-favourite General Grievous, I was furious to find out I'd be paying $110 for the Deluxe Edition of the game so I could play as Bossk, who had a total of 14 seconds of screentime in the Original Trilogy of the Star Wars saga, instead of Anakin Skywalker or Obi-Wan, who were two of the main characters from the Prequel Trilogy. To make matters worse, Lando Calrissian was added instead of the beloved General Grievous... how can EA not understand that players want a new experience, not a CTRL+C/CTRL+V cut and paste of a character from the previous Battlefront?

Look, I like the look of the new game. The gameplay is great, the visuals are stunning, the classes are cool, the map options are decent... but the characters? C'mon EA, you can do better than adding only two DLC characters before the end of the year. Don't give us new blasters, new Stormtrooper colours or a new gamemode. Give us the heroes that actually deserve to be in the game (Bossk is a joke, we need characters who we love and the prequel and sequel trilogies have plenty of characters that deserve a place in the game). If smaller developers with miniature budgets can create a Star Wars game with 30+ authentic heroes, why can't you? Give us what we want, we'll buy your game. It's a good deal.

i mean i somewhat see your point but the game isn't out yet and unless you've played as the heroes then you don't have much to say cause lando might be your favorite after you play as him but i do want to see anakin and obi wan in it but i think they're saving them for like the 3rd dlc to keep the game fresh
  • i don't think the roster sucks I'm excited to play as all the heroes I'm kinda tired of people being really critical about parts of the game they haven't played but i think theyll add anakin and obi wan later in the game like 3rd dlc to keep it fresh
  • SSJSnoop
    2110 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    ---Heroes---

Luke Skywalker
    Han Solo
    Princess Leia Organa
    Chewbacca
    Lando Calrissian
    Yoda
    Rey
    Finn

---Villains---
    Darth Vader
    Emperor Palpatine
    Boba Fett
    Bossk
    Darth Maul
    Kylo Ren
    Captain Phasma
    Iden Versio

The only one really out of place and a waste of a slot is Iden. Phasma might not be a waste after The Last Jedi comes out and she actually fights(does something).

I want old Obi-Wan, No Annie, and Christopher Lee's Darth Tyrannus first over General Grevious.
  • bfloo
    15680 posts Member
    SSJSnoop wrote: »
    ---Heroes---

Luke Skywalker
    Han Solo
    Princess Leia Organa
    Chewbacca
    Lando Calrissian
    Yoda
    Rey
    Finn

---Villains---
    Darth Vader
    Emperor Palpatine
    Boba Fett
    Bossk
    Darth Maul
    Kylo Ren
    Captain Phasma
    Iden Versio

The only one really out of place and a waste of a slot is Iden. Phasma might not be a waste after The Last Jedi comes out and she actually fights(does something).

I want old Obi-Wan, No Annie, and Christopher Lee's Darth Tyrannus first over General Grevious.

No Ani?

While there are some I'd prefer, how can you not have the hero of the Clone Wars in BattleFront?

h846398gb27k.png

---Heroes---

Luke Skywalker
    Han Solo
    Princess Leia Organa
    Chewbacca
    Lando Calrissian
    Yoda
    Rey
    Finn

---Villains---
    Darth Vader
    Emperor Palpatine
    Boba Fett
    Bossk
    Darth Maul
    Kylo Ren
    Captain Phasma
    Iden Versio

No Ani?

While there are some I'd prefer, how can you not have the hero of the Clone Wars in BattleFront?

I think he was the victim of a drive by autocorrect.
  • SSJSnoop
    2110 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    3 reasons I don't want prequel movie adult Anakin:

- Darth Vader is there and appeared in Ep III. So technically he's there.

- I reject the movie's portrayal of him so much. I almost have a complete disconnect of that version becoming Vader in the suit. That disconnect might become more apparent and awkward if you have Vader and Anakin together. Disney may sense this.

-I only want Anakin if they have animated clone wars voicing him. The Clone Wars animated show is better than the prequel movies and that version's cadence and tone is more believable.
  • Danxoln
    2473 posts Member
    Your paying $110? You're getting ripped off, the price for deluxe should be $80
  • MWB33
    1388 posts Member
    bfloo wrote: »

Yeah, I want Grievous someday but Lando is the coolest guy in the galaxy. Not only did he lead the assault on DS2, he personally blew it up. Luke needed the force to blow up a DeathStar, all Lando needed was sweet hair and a bad **** cape!

Lando had something more powerful than the Force, he had the power of the hues with him.

^^This...never underestimate the power of the Almighty Lord Pancake!!!
    Yes, play! Yes, a gamer's strength flows from adjustment. But beware of the nerf side...not adapting your tactics, stubbornness, wanting the game catered to you; the nerf side of gaming are they. Easily they flow, quick to join you in a death & respawn. If once you start down the nerf path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did many an apprentice.
  • It doesn’t suck
  • HeavyTeemu wrote: »
    EvazanJr wrote: »
    Lando is way easier than Grevious. Also probably easier to bring heros over from the last game than completely new ones. We will get Grevious eventually.

People assume here that making video games is magic with limitless resources.

To address the topic I think they have already confirmed that at least obi wan is coming to the game and will be released along General Grievious.
    True. Obi-Wan confirmed Grevious heavily rumored.

It's a Star Wars game, and Star Wars became famous because of the iconic lightsabers. If the best they can do is put in only 6 heroes/villains with lightsabers, they aren't trying hard enough. There are plenty of older Star Wars games with smaller budgets that have added tons of characters, such as the old Battlefront II, and quite frankly, I think EA should be capable of dishing out a game that provides an authentic Star Wars experience where we can enjoy playing as the "iconic heroes and villains" they promised us, not 14 second screentime rubbish.

Star Wars came famous for many other reasons than lightsabers.
    PSN: DynamitePro26
  • SSJSnoop wrote: »

- I reject the movie's portrayal of him so much. I almost have a complete disconnect of that version becoming Vader in the suit. That disconnect might become more apparent and awkward if you have Vader and Anakin together. Disney may sense this.

-I only want Anakin if they have animated clone wars voicing him. The Clone Wars animated show is better than the prequel movies and that version's cadence and tone is more believable.

Yeah, Hayden Christenssen was a pretty rubbish actor.
    PSN: DynamitePro26
  • Cad_Bane
    6252 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Removed double post
  • LERXST wrote: »
    It doesn’t suck

Especially considering there aren't a wide range to chose from

Vader and anakin are different characters. That doesn’t mean he shouldn’t be on the game because of Vader. Also, just because you don’t like the character doesn’t mean he shouldn’t be in the game. I don’t like Finn’s character or his acting so does that mean he shouldn’t be in the game? Of course not. Main characters of every trilogy should be in the game.
    Cad_Bane wrote: »

Why do people keep saying this!? It’s just wrong. Most fans like all trilogies and don’t hate any trilogy.

I disagree with that and think he did a great job with the dialogue that he had to work with. Regardless though that shouldn’t matter, he’s the main character of the PT and should be included.

Why do people keep saying this!? Just because people scream so loud they hate something doesn’t mean they are the majority. Most fans like all trilogies and don’t hate any trilogy
  • Cad_Bane wrote: »

Why do people keep saying this!? It’s just wrong. Most fans like all trilogies and don’t hate any trilogy.

I think it's just the perception people have thanks to how extreme some fans act about one set of movies or another. I personally enjoy all the eras, and the way the films "rhyme" as Lucas put it.

I remember skipping class my senior year to camp out for tickets to episode one's midnight show.

Vader and anakin are different characters. Just because Darth Vader is in the game doesn’t exclude anakin from being in the game. The inclusion of one hero doesn’t make the addition of another more difficult. This has already been stated by dice.
    Also just because you don’t like a character doesn’t mean he shouldn’t be included. You’re opinions are totally unreasonable if you think that. I don’t like Finn, so does that mean he shouldn’t be a hero in the ST? Of course not, he’s a main character and should be included. All main characters of each trilogy should be first priority.

I disagree with that and think he done a good job with the dialogue he had to work with. Regardless, that shouldn’t matter. Whether you like his acting or not he should be included as the main character of the PT.
    It doesn’t suck

Join a development team then talk
  • Because the game has 3 eras to cover. Each hero requires a voice actor. Then they have to be modeled, textured, animated.

Then each has to be balanced to make them each unique. There isn't to much point adding in multiple hero's that are just copies of each other.

Also Heroes are never really the main focus of a Battlefront game. They are resource you use to aid your team.
    Youtube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/TroopperFoFo/ .
    Battlefront 2 , Battlefield and more.
  • Because the game has 3 eras to cover. Each hero requires a voice actor. Then they have to be modeled, textured, animated.

Then each has to be balanced to make them each unique. There isn't to much point adding in multiple hero's that are just copies of each other.

Also Heroes are never really the main focus of a Battlefront game. They are resource you use to aid your team.

I agree except for the part that heroes are copies of each other. It’s up to dice to make each hero unique and not feel like a copy of each other. I’m sure they can do that
    LERXST wrote: »
    It doesn’t suck

????
    It doesn’t suck

????

Don’t act stupid
    It doesn’t suck

????

Don’t act ****

Not to good with English are you? I was agreeing with you. Hero roster is fine considering there aren't many heros to chose from. Don't be a daft tosser

Vader and anakin are different characters. Just because Darth Vader is in the game doesn’t exclude anakin from being in the game. The inclusion of one hero doesn’t make the addition of another more difficult. This has already been stated by dice.
    Also just because you don’t like a character doesn’t mean he shouldn’t be included. You’re opinions are totally unreasonable if you think that. I don’t like Finn, so does that mean he shouldn’t be a hero in the ST? Of course not, he’s a main character and should be included. All main characters of each trilogy should be first priority.

I disagree with that and think he done a good job with the dialogue he had to work with. Regardless, that shouldn’t matter. Whether you like his acting or not he should be included as the main character of the PT.

I don't want Anakin not because "I just don't like him" and it's analogous to you not liking Finn, I don't want prequel movie Anakin voiced by Hayden because that performance is so bizarre and poor. It's specific to this one major character.

Its hard to believe "that" becomes Darth Vader and Disney may know this already.

I don't want Anakin not because "I just don't like him" and it's analogous to you not liking Finn, I don't want prequel movie Anakin voiced by Hayden because that performance is so bizarre and poor. It's specific to this one major character.

Its hard to believe "that" becomes Darth Vader and Disney may know this already.

I loved the prequels but yeah Anakin could have been done much better. I preferred Jar Jar over Anakin
  • Cad_Bane
    6252 posts Member
    edited October 2017

I disagree and think every movie actor should be first. Regardless, I really doubt Disney cares about which actor to get to voice a hero in a game lol. Many people would rather have Hayden voice him and like Hayden. Hayden doesn’t have a whiny voice. He had some bad lines and was young in episode 2. It’s really not a that much of a controversial matter with whoever they pick. Though Hayden would be most familiar with people since lots of people haven’t watched the clone wars.
  • I like the heroes we have, just wish we had more, especially from the clone wars era.

I know I'm a little ignorant when I say this, but seriously - re-skin Boba and switch abilities a bit to make Jango, or take the Duros head and give it a darker shade of blue to make Cade Bane. It's a bit baffling to me that Obi and/or Anakin aren't at launch, and that we can't even attempt to make Galactic Assault immersive day 1 because they're aren't enough PT heroes to do that.
  • RogueKarp wrote: »
    I like the heroes we have, just wish we had more, especially from the clone wars era.

I know I'm a little ignorant when I say this, but seriously - re-skin Boba and switch abilities a bit to make Jango, or take the Duros head and give it a darker shade of blue to make Cade Bane. It's a bit baffling to me that Obi and/or Anakin aren't at launch, and that we can't even attempt to make Galactic Assault immersive day 1 because they're aren't enough PT heroes to do that.

Agreed.

I disagree with most of what you say (respectfully) but I don't think it was a matter of less respect or bias against the prequels. The ST literally has the same exact amount of content, and we KNOW that "Dibney" wants to market and push that era as much as possible. It was quite literally them re-using things from the last game, that's why we got 9 of the heroes from it. Also I think the demographic that is playing this game doesn't "hate the prequels." We are almost all teens, those who grew up with the prequels, and face it the millenial generation has a lot of respect for them. The only people that match what you said are gonna be 40 year old dudes playing this.
    CIS: OOM-9, Sebulba, Nute Gunray
    Republic: Coleman Trebor, Shmi Skywalker, The clone that fell with Padme
    Rebels: Lobot, Willrow Hood, Rebel Friend
    Empire: Rancor Keeper, Walrus Man, Dagobah Luke-Face Vader
    First Order: The stormtrooper with blood on his face
    Resistance: I couldn't care less

If I could upvote or like replies on this forum, this comment right here would get mine Cad Bane
    CIS: OOM-9, Sebulba, Nute Gunray
    Republic: Coleman Trebor, Shmi Skywalker, The clone that fell with Padme
    Rebels: Lobot, Willrow Hood, Rebel Friend
    Empire: Rancor Keeper, Walrus Man, Dagobah Luke-Face Vader
    First Order: The stormtrooper with blood on his face
    Resistance: I couldn't care less
  • Cad_Bane
    6252 posts Member
    edited October 2017

I disagree with most of what you say (respectfully) but I don't think it was a matter of less respect or bias against the prequels. The ST literally has the same exact amount of content, and we KNOW that "Dibney" wants to market and push that era as much as possible. It was quite literally them re-using things from the last game, that's why we got 9 of the heroes from it. Also I think the demographic that is playing this game doesn't "hate the prequels." We are almost all teens, those who grew up with the prequels, and face it the millenial generation has a lot of respect for them. The only people that match what you said are gonna be 40 year old dudes playing this.

Well said. The prequels aren’t hated by the majority. The majority of all fans (casual fans) like every trilogy.

If I could upvote or like replies on this forum, this comment right here would get mine Cad Bane

Well Thank You :smile:
    giphy.gif

I disagree and think every movie actor should be first. Regardless, I really doubt Disney cares about which actor to get to voice a hero in a game lol. Many people would rather have Hayden voice him and like Hayden. Hayden doesn’t have a whiny voice. He had some bad lines and was young in episode 2. It’s really not a that much of a controversial matter with whoever they pick. Though Hayden would be most familiar with people since lots of people haven’t watched the clone wars.

I think Hayden had some rough spots, but honestly so did Hamill and he's still awsome. And I agree that a whole lot of it goes on the dialogue, which is something Lucas has always struggled with, he just had more people around during the original trilogy who could and would change things, while during the prequels he had total creative control.
    It doesn’t suck

????

Don’t act ****

Not to good with English are you? I was agreeing with you. Hero roster is fine considering there aren't many heros to chose from. Don't be a daft tosser

Just stop
  • The fact that some of you are saying Obiwan and Anakin take "too much time to make" or "they aren't good characters" is stupid. Hardly anyone even knew who Bossk was before the Battlefront DLC came out. At first I thought it was a joke, until I went through "Empire Strikes Back" and found out that Bossk was one of the bounty hunters with 14 seconds of screentime. How the heck can you have a character such as Bossk in the game when Obiwan and Anakin had hours of screentime? Sure, you might not like the characters, but plenty of other people do and they definitely deserve more of a role in the game than Iden or Bossk. DICE need to put their creativity hats on and make some heroes that people actually want, instead of characters that we barely see in the movies.
  • Hero roster looks legit to me. There is more coming down the line. Deep breaths, we'll get there together
  • SharokGG
    57 posts Member
    edited October 2017

It's a Star Wars game, and Star Wars became famous because of the iconic lightsabers. If the best they can do is put in only 6 heroes/villains with lightsabers, they aren't trying hard enough (1). There are plenty of older Star Wars games with smaller budgets that have added tons of characters, such as the old Battlefront II, (2)and quite frankly, I think EA should be capable of dishing out a game that provides an authentic Star Wars experience (3)where we can enjoy playing as the "iconic heroes and villains" they promised us, not 14 second screentime rubbish (4)

I'd like to address this in four parts, so I've added in numbers to the original post to help with that.

1) Human capital can only function at maximum productivity for a limited period of time before experiencing a period of limited productivity due to over-production -- also known as overworking and growing ill. To expect the devs to work harder than they already are completely disregards that rest is needed to maintain a steady rate of productivity and somewhat borders on being unethical.

2) And what were the lightsaber heroes in Classic Battlefront 2 but reskins of each other with a variation of the exact same core abilities.

3) The heroes we've been provided are very much authentic to the Star Wars universe and gameplay wise are unique enough to be fun.

4) Technically, all of the heroes have had much more than fourteen seconds screen time. It's just a matter of the media from which you recognise them. Otherwise, patience is key to getting what you want. It will come. Getting worked up over it simply isn't worth anyone's time or effort.

As for my own opinion, and building on from my response to this chap, I'm pretty happy with the roster. Fourteen heroes is a vast improvement on the six we began with from the last game, especially considering all the other vast gameplay improvements that we've been given on top of them. The devs really have worked hard. All the heroes seem to have their unique play style as well, which I'm very pleased to see. They're clearly well thought out and each appeal to a different manner of playing based on their primary weapon and abilities. I'm just glad that they've promised more heroes post-launch, as I'm happy as is with the ones we've got thus far.

Your joking right?