criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Community Transmission
December CC

A More Substantial Arcade Mode

Aryck-The-One
1671 posts Member
edited November 2017
From what we know, Arcade mode will ship with two game modes; Team Battles and Onslaught. The former is basically team deathmatch with AI bots, while the latter is a timed survival mode. Both modes allow you to play as all 4 trooper classes, reinforcements, and heroes, with a variety of customization options that will allow to tailor the experience to your liking.

The problem is that Arcade is limited to 10v10 on small maps, with no vehicles, starfighters, or space battles. So while it's step forward from Missions in Battlefront 2015, it is also a step backwards from Skirmish mode.

DICE/Criterion- or whoever is working on Arcade content post-launch- could address this problem by adding 4 new game modes that would expand on the two modes we already have:
  • Epic Battles
    20v20 battles against AI featuring large maps, vehicles, and starfighters.
  • Epic Onslaught
    Survival against up to 40 AI enemies on large maps with vehicles and starfighters.
  • Starfighter Battles
    20v20 battles against AI in space and high atmosphere with starfighters, hero ships, and light cruisers.
  • Starfighter Onslaught
    Survival against up to 40 AI enemies in space and high atmosphere with starfighters, hero ships, and light cruisers.

Customization options for these 4 game modes would be identical to the base versions found in the game at launch... with some unique additions. For example, set the number of cruisers that appear in Starfighter Battles and Starfighter Onslaught (like the CR-90 Corvette and Arquitens-Class Cruiser), how much health they have, and how much time before they respawn after being destroyed. Here's an example for Starfighter Battles:
  • Player Light Cruisers: Default, None, One, Two
  • Enemy Light Cruisers: Default, None, One, Two
  • Cruiser Health: Default, Half, Double
  • Cruiser Respawn: Default, Never Respawn, 1 Minute, 3 Minutes, 5 Minutes

In Epic Battles and Epic Onslaught, you would have options to determine what kinds of vehicles and starfighters the AI for both teams uses; do you want the AI to not use starfighters, and make it purely a ground battle? Do you want to enable or disable on-rails vehicles like the AT-AT, MTT, U-Wing, and LAAT? These are the kind of options you might have:
  • Player Vehicles: Default, None, Ground Vehicles Only, Starfighters Only
  • Enemy Vehicles: Default, None, Ground Vehicles Only, Starfighters Only
  • On-Rails Vehicles: Default, Enabled, Disabled
  • On-Rails Vehicles Health: Default, Half, Double
  • *On-Rails Vehicle Speed: Default, Half, Double
  • *On-Rails Vehicle Respawn: Default, Never Respawn, Respawn When Destroyed

For these modes, on-rails vehicles would not require weapons like the ION Disruptor to bring them down. You would be able to destroy them with normal weapons. They would move through the map as they normally do, stopping at their normal endpoint as with Galactic Assault, where they would then blow up and respawn if that is enabled.

*The Speed and Respawn modifiers for on-rails vehicles would only affect ground vehicles like the AT-AT and MTT, but not the U-Wing or LAAT. On-rails vehicles should also not have timers in Arcade, so that the player can use the for as long as they want.

TL;DR: In my opinion, having variations of Team Battles and Onslaught featuring large maps, vehicles, and space battles would be enough to provide a substantial single-player/splitscreen experience.

While having a full-blown Skirmish mode with Galactic Assault and Starfighter Assault would be nice, I feel that this would be easier for the developers to make (as opposed to programming the AI to perform the different objectives for each Galactic Assault map), and it would also give single-player fans much more freedom than the online multiplayer modes.

DICE, Criterion... We would all appreciate it if you were to deliver the full Battlefront II experience offline, whether it is through the return of Skirmish, or just expanding Arcade. I hope you guys will take this into consideration, and give us more ways to enjoy Star Wars: Battlefront II offline!

Original Trilogy & Sequel Trilogy for Instant Action in Battlefront II!

#soloplayersmatter #singleplayersmatter #offlinegamersmatter

Replies

• that was so well put to together and well detailed do you reckon strike is a bridge to far or mabye hero ai?
  • that was so well put to together and well detailed do you reckon strike is a bridge to far or mabye hero ai?

Like I said before, I would consider Hero AI to be secondary to having all the vehicles, starfighters, and space battles playable offline in Arcade.

As for Strike... I think it would be kind of pointless IMHO. It doesn't really offer anything that Arcade doesn't already have.

• Hero AI is just as important as having ground and air vehicles in TDM mode. Having those vehicles available to jump into and takeoff/land, instead of using tokens or battle points, would also be very nice.
    Large maps are a must. Forget 20v20, more like 100v100 for those. Doesn't anyone remember what clones vs. droids battles looked like in the movies/animated series? Thousands of blaster bolts flying through the air in both directions from huge fields of soldiers.
    I totally agree that flying space/air battle modes are also a must!
  • andytheavs wrote: »
    Hero AI is just as important as having ground and air vehicles in TDM mode. Having those vehicles available to jump into and takeoff/land, instead of using tokens or battle points, would also be very nice.
    Large maps are a must. Forget 20v20, more like 100v100 for those. Doesn't anyone remember what clones vs. droids battles looked like in the movies/animated series? Thousands of blaster bolts flying through the air in both directions from huge fields of soldiers.
    I totally agree that flying space/air battle modes are also a must!

Let's try to keep things realistic. Even the Battlefield games don't have 100v100, and the original Battlefront games certainly didn't... I believe they were limited to 16v16 without mods.

• Some great ideas here. While Arcade sounds 100times better than missions already, I'm hoping they will add large maps with vehicles and starfighter battles to the game as well.
  • I think strike is necessary though because I would like to play the small objective game modes offline, being able to have a capture the flag option or cargo option would be awesome, plus have a smaller player count. I would rather have the big game modes though and the space battles offline first. Hero AI would defiantly be amazing and so would capital ships in offline space battles and also AI reinforcements like wookies and such. I know the developers don't want to limit multiplayer but if they add all the above, plus support these game modes and things after launch, this would be the best Star Wars game of all time.

Like I said before, I would consider Hero AI to be secondary to having all the vehicles, starfighters, and space battles playable offline in Arcade.

As for Strike... I think it would be kind of pointless IMHO. It doesn't really offer anything that Arcade doesn't already have.

Interesting your points I respect your op. ;)
  • I think strike is necessary though because I would like to play the small objective game modes offline, being able to have a capture the flag option or cargo option would be awesome, plus have a smaller player count. I would rather have the big game modes though and the space battles offline first. Hero AI would defiantly be amazing and so would capital ships in offline space battles and also AI reinforcements like wookies and such. I know the developers don't want to limit multiplayer but if they add all the above, plus support these game modes and things after launch, this would be the best Star Wars game of all time.

Good ideas personally it reminds me of cargo, I sorta want same as you. I think strike would be great fun if ai done well. ;)

Good ideas personally it reminds me of cargo, I sorta want same as you. I think strike would be great fun if ai done well. ;)

As far as objective-based game modes for Arcade, I would prefer Conquest or Cargo, if not both. I really was not a fan of Strike in the beta, and somehow I don't think it would be much more fun offline... but I liked the tug-of-war aspect of Cargo in the previous game, and I think that would be fun to play offline.

• great thread, having a large TDM mode in Arcade is both easier than programming AI for each Galactic Assault map and better than the current Arcade offering.
    You may not believe this, but you just wasted 3 seconds reading this™
  • I hope that they listen to what people want so that Arcade will be close to what we want next week! This may be part of what people want, but I hope that it will be good! Maybe we'll even get a day-one patch with some surprising new options/ features for Arcade.

Hero AI is what I'd like to see most.
    I am the same user as Elimelech401, that account was not tied to the game. I am hoping for more Skirmish with split screen and hero AI.
  • So is this to say, when EA/DICE said "they had listened to the community"... What they really meant was, they haven't ?

Was interested in picking this up but not at all sure now, as details about Single Player outside the campaign seem to be getting sketchier and sketchier. Not much of a PvP fan, making the huge amount of hype they are generating for the Muliplayer section of the game, pretty much lost on me. So not going to splash the cash for 50% of the content.

Was hoping they had got it right this time, and I still don't see why they are technically incapable of producing what Pandemic could 12 years ago. And earlier previews did seem to hint that the oldschool Battlefront experience was returning this time.

Now the closer we get to release, this appears to be less and less likely. And STILL with less than a week to go. No one is 100% sure what content is going to be, despite the requirment from the community for clarification. And EA/Dice staying either tight lipped or going out of their way to muddy the waters.

What is going on ? Does anyone actually know what game they are making here ?
  • Herald_UK wrote: »
    So is this to say, when EA/DICE said "they had listened to the community"... What they really meant was, they haven't ?

Was interested in picking this up but not at all sure now, as details about Single Player outside the campaign seem to be getting sketchier and sketchier. Not much of a PvP fan, making the huge amount of hype they are generating for the Muliplayer section of the game, pretty much lost on me. So not going to splash the cash for 50% of the content.

Was hoping they had got it right this time, and I still don't see why they are technically incapable of producing what Pandemic could 12 years ago. And earlier previews did seem to hint that the oldschool Battlefront experience was returning this time.

Now the closer we get to release, this appears to be less and less likely. And STILL with less than a week to go. No one is 100% sure what content is going to be, despite the requirment from the community for clarification. And EA/Dice staying either tight lipped or going out of their way to muddy the waters.

What is going on ? Does anyone actually know what game they are making here ?

They did the same thing with the 2015 game, which is why I'm holding off on purchasing the sequel. I don't understand why at least space battles aren't present in Arcade, especially when they already have AI for space maps and the same developer working on space battles (Criterion) is also responsible for Arcade.

There are rumors that Skirmish is coming back in Q1 2018, but I'm not going to make the same mistake again and buy the game on blind faith that it will get better post-launch.

• Aris1368
    371 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    All I learned over the past years is that EA/Dice are masters of deception.They specifically said about arcade "take part in Skirmishes" so they can deceive us by thinking that its actually Skirmish, then they took the article down.

Now, just like the first Battlefront, they are going silent about it because they know what half ***** mode Arcade is.

As far as objective-based game modes for Arcade, I would prefer Conquest or Cargo, if not both. I really was not a fan of Strike in the beta, and somehow I don't think it would be much more fun offline... but I liked the tug-of-war aspect of Cargo in the previous game, and I think that would be fun to play offline.

Yes it was very fun unpredictable and conquest would be amazing. ;)

Hero AI is what I'd like to see most.

Good shout I mean it would make ai immersive bots imagine maul charging right out you. ;)
  • From what I'm getting from the silence is this. Missions 2.0 and blast that's it nothing else. I have not heard from their mouth a official word about AI heroes but they are hard, rumors of skirmish, and nothing on star fighter.

So we are getting the big prison "D" forced on us again. And further more ranking up offline will take 3 times as long to force us onto online. Which we will say no. Then heroes locked by rank and credits. Weapons also.

This maybe worst than 2015 battlefront. And another year playing 2005 battlefront2 for most of the year.

Sorry about the hard truth we need to take the hard "D" up the kester
  • Aris1368 wrote: »
    All I learned over the past years is that EA/Dice are masters of deception.They specifically said about arcade "take part in Skirmishes" so they can deceive us by thinking that its actually Skirmish, then they took the article down.

Now, just like the first Battlefront, they are going silent about it because they know what half **** mode Arcade is.
    KlownShueS wrote: »
    From what I'm getting from the silence is this. Missions 2.0 and blast that's it nothing else. I have not heard from their mouth a official word about AI heroes but they are hard, rumors of skirmish, and nothing on star fighter.

So we are getting the big prison "D" forced on us again. And further more ranking up offline will take 3 times as long to force us onto online. Which we will say no. Then heroes locked by rank and credits. Weapons also.

This maybe worst than 2015 battlefront. And another year playing 2005 battlefront2 for most of the year.

Starting this Thursday, the full game is playable for 10 hours for any EA/Origin Access members. We will know what's in Arcade Thursday.
    I am the same user as Elimelech401, that account was not tied to the game. I am hoping for more Skirmish with split screen and hero AI.

Now, just like the first Battlefront, they are going silent about it because they know what half **** mode Arcade is.
    From what I'm getting from the silence is this. Missions 2.0 and blast that's it nothing else. I have not heard from their mouth a official word about AI heroes but they are hard, rumors of skirmish, and nothing on star fighter.

Starting this Thursday, the full game is playable for 10 hours for any EA/Origin Access members. We will know what's in Arcade Thursday.

A little bird on Reddit released some unsettling details about the number of maps playable in Arcade, so I am feeling less optimistic.

Man if they would just add Starfighter Battles to Arcade within the first DLC season, I would feel a whole lot better about this game...

• Skirmish is a must. I don't want to be locked out of what I bought again due to low population, and I'd like to be able to keep playing this game when and how I want to in my own time. Still hoping for some official indication that it is coming.
    All Multiplayer modes playable offline, please. Don't forget the hero/villain AI to fight against too.
  • gzcnr
    290 posts Member
    not gonna happen.

offline single player modes are not good for loot crate business. so they will never ever invest on arcade mode.
  • gzcnr wrote: »
    not gonna happen.

offline single player modes are not good for loot crate business. so they will never ever invest on arcade mode.

Cant buy loot crates if you don't even buy the game itself because of the lack of Skirmish Mode.

Meaning even less $$$ for DICE and EA
  • Jesbro wrote: »
    gzcnr wrote: »
    not gonna happen.

Cant buy loot crates if you don't even buy the game itself because of the lack of Skirmish Mode.

Meaning even less $$$ for DICE and EA

Also, haven't people been complaining that certain single-player games like Assassin's Creed: Origins and Shadow of War have loot crates?

Besides, Arcade and multiplayer progression are tied together. For example, if you want a new Hero skin to use in Arcade, you can either grind multiplayer to get it, or you can spend real money on loot crates. Not to mention there is a limit to how many credits you can earn playing Arcade; I believe only the first 5 games you play per day earn you credits.

• I know i'm the minority, but the online portion is unavailable to me. Personally, this makes an offline form of galactic assault all the more necessary.

Aryck-The-One's idea for an Epic Battles arcade mode is enough for me alone. I have no faith that EA or Dice will pay any attention to this though. Hopefully 2005 Battlefront 2 gets a re-release as part of the backwards compatible Xbox titles on the Xbox One store.
  • Bigger battles and vehicles would be a great addition. AI hero battles would be the ultimate.
  • ZeroFiveFour
    407 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    I know i'm the minority, but the online portion is unavailable to me. Personally, this makes an offline form of galactic assault all the more necessary.

Aryck-The-One's idea for an Epic Battles arcade mode is enough for me alone. I have no faith that EA or Dice will pay any attention to this though. Hopefully 2005 Battlefront 2 gets a re-release as part of the backwards compatible Xbox titles on the Xbox One store.

Battlefront 2005 is currently on PC right now, via steam, I think it's around 5 bucks. It was just recently patched to have current online capabilites as well. XL mode is 100 bots vs 100 bots offline.

Cheers,

• I have played the EA Access trial on the Xbox One and honestly I have decided I am going to buy the Standard version (cheapest one).

While I am still mad there is no Skirmish Mode at launch like what all of us are asking for what we do have right now with the Campaign and current Custom Arcade offerings I believe is worth the standard price ($60 or $54 with EA or Origin Access) at the very least. There are a ton of custom options for Arcade and that along with a good campaign about Iden Versio make it worth the Standard price to me.

Now sure there are no Starfighter battles in Arcade at the moment but after playing the first few missions in the Campaign I know it is possible for them to add it. The reason why they haven't yet still makes no sense at all but I have faith that it will be added soon.

I believe that the rumors of Skirmish with 20 vs 20 large ground maps with Vehicles and Starfighter maps coming early 2018 or maybe even sooner are true and if for some stupid evil reason it doesn't well than at least all of the post launch stuff is free anyways so its not a total loss like the Season Pass was in Battlefront 2015.

So I believe the game is worth the Standard price at the very least and if they do eventually add Skirmish like we want I might upgrade to the Deluxe Edition but not until then.
  • Dont know, there are not even all of the maps in Arcade, only like 6
    I have played the EA Access trial on the Xbox One and honestly I have decided I am going to buy the Standard version (cheapest one).

While I am still mad there is no Skirmish Mode at launch like what all of us are asking for what we do have right now with the Campaign and current Custom Arcade offerings I believe is worth the standard price ($60 or $54 with EA or Origin Access) at the very least. There are a ton of custom options for Arcade and that along with a good campaign about Iden Versio make it worth the Standard price to me.

Now sure there are no Starfighter battles in Arcade at the moment but after playing the first few missions in the Campaign I know it is possible for them to add it. The reason why they haven't yet still makes no sense at all but I have faith that it will be added soon.

I believe that the rumors of Skirmish with 20 vs 20 large ground maps with Vehicles and Starfighter maps coming early 2018 or maybe even sooner are true and if for some **** evil reason it doesn't well than at least all of the post launch stuff is free anyways so its not a total loss like the Season Pass was in Battlefront 2015.

So I believe the game is worth the Standard price at the very least and if they do eventually add Skirmish like we want I might upgrade to the Deluxe Edition but not until then.

So, the trial is up? Is there hero AI?
    I have played the EA Access trial on the Xbox One and honestly I have decided I am going to buy the Standard version (cheapest one).

I believe that the rumors of Skirmish with 20 vs 20 large ground maps with Vehicles and Starfighter maps coming early 2018 or maybe even sooner are true and if for some **** evil reason it doesn't well than at least all of the post launch stuff is free anyways so its not a total loss like the Season Pass was in Battlefront 2015.

Nope notta one
  • KlownShueS wrote: »
    Jesbro wrote: »

Nope notta one

thanks
  • @Jesbro

What all is in Battle Scenarios within Arcade? Struck me as Training Missions, but thought there might be some short Space Battle training within it
  • @Jesbro

What all is in Battle Scenarios within Arcade? Struck me as Training Missions, but thought there might be some short Space Battle training within it

No space battles there either. Those are just DICE created scenarios using the same settings from Custom Arcade.

So far the only singleplayer space battles are the ones in the Campaign.
  • Maytheforcebewithyou
    1020 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    Jesbro wrote: »
    @Jesbro

No space battles there either. Those are just DICE created scenarios using the same settings from Custom Arcade.

So far the only singleplayer space battles are the ones in the Campaign.

uh disappointed no space battles for offline Arcade?

• Played Arcade mode in the trial version for about an hour and the gameplay quickly become stale. If I'm brutally honest the Arcade mode felt more of an afterthought than Skirmish in the last Battlefront. Glad I didn't pre-order the game and I'll wait to see if/when they decide to add a true Skirmish mode in the near future.
  • Waswaf
    88 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    Maybe we should all get people on other skirmish-related threads and reddit to keep talking about Skirmish and Arcade and to keep asking Youtubers who are interviewing any developers to ask about Skirmish and Arcade in their interviews. This could get our voices heard, especially with people like AngryJoe not even asking about this, who I would have thought to have a little nostalgia for what made the original Battlefront games so good. Also, commenting on Arcade and getting youtubers to cover Arcade and talk about it themselves would be great too. Check out Star Wars HQ's stream for Arcade and the other content they showed. So much of that could be in Arcade as vehicles and separate maps until larger ones can be implemented.
    Dont know, there are not even all of the maps in Arcade, only like 6

This is disappointing to hear. Hopefully more maps are added sooner than later.

What a joke. I have to pay a subscription just to demo a game?!? Once upon a time, demos were free, and no, the open beta was not comparable. Anyway, I've been trying to find a video that just goes through the Arcade menus and clicks on all the options so that I can see the min/max values for each setting. For example in Team Battles, there's one under "modifiers" that says "free play/heroes/soldiers only" or something that like that. I'm wondering if that only applies to us as the player or if that means we could can set up a big heroes vs. villains team battle.
  • ELIMELECH0401
    1425 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    andytheavs wrote: »
    Aris1368 wrote: »

What a joke. I have to pay a subscription just to demo a game?!? Once upon a time, demos were free, and no, the open beta was not comparable. Anyway, I've been trying to find a video that just goes through the Arcade menus and clicks on all the options so that I can see the min/max values for each setting. For example in Team Battles, there's one under "modifiers" that says "free play/heroes/soldiers only" or something that like that. I'm wondering if that only applies to us as the player or if that means we could can set up a big heroes vs. villains team battle.

Currently, There is no hero AI unfortunately. That option refers to human character selection. There is a separate option for classes the AI uses. The AI class option is just different combinations of the four basic troops. Any other info you'd like?
  • andytheavs wrote: »
    Aris1368 wrote: »

Dude, it only costs $5 bucks for 1 month of EA Access. You will use up your 10 hours long before the month is up, and if you decide to buy the game, it's $6 dollars off, so you're not paying any extra for the demo.

If you choose not to buy the game, you still get to play a month of free games and you avoid wasting $60 dollars on a game you would otherwise regret buying.

Oh, and to answer your question... you cannot set up a Heroes Vs. Villains Team Battle. There's no Hero AI; there's a separate option that lets you choose what trooper classes you want the AI to use.

• Man, the companies of this world have done an incredible job of shifting people's expectations of what is acceptable. Now I get charging for the early access thing and maybe there will be a 10 hour free demo a little while after the game is released (like they have for Mass Effect Andromeda and Battlefield 1 and such).
    Thanks for the info on the gameplay options. I finally ended up finding a recent youtube video that went through all the menus of the game, which was very useful as it was from the early access build, not the month old hacked beta build.
  • bfloo
    16190 posts Member
    andytheavs wrote: »
    Man, the companies of this world have done an incredible job of shifting people's expectations of what is acceptable. Now I get charging for the early access thing and maybe there will be a 10 hour free demo a little while after the game is released (like they have for Mass Effect Andromeda and Battlefield 1 and such).
    Thanks for the info on the gameplay options. I finally ended up finding a recent youtube video that went through all the menus of the game, which was very useful as it was from the early access build, not the month old hacked beta build.

The demo was specifically for EA Access and Origin members.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png