criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Community Transmission
December CC

Locked Heroes...? Are You Kidding Me?!

Replies

• I don’t even think this is true, if it was, all of the big battlefront YouTube channels would be talking about this.
    secondly, I don’t think dice would do this, they know the hero’s are popular and a lot of people wouldn’t like this system.
    thirdly, they haven’t said anything about this, the game is releasing in one day so I think they would have said something by now.
    aka don’t just listen to one leaked video
  • I think it's great. It'll make you special using those heroes. Besides having everybody unlocked would get boring fast .
    I am interested in seeing how fast it is to get credits. I'm not against grinding but I wonder how much of a grind it would be.
  • IF you're casual enjoy the game at your own pace and stop whining as if you're competitive suddenly. If you're hardcore, enjoy the grind, the prestige with being the best comes with time and EARNING the rank ups/level ups. With that said, the only thing anyone should be concerned with is being ripped off again like 2015, and the bad mechanics, vehicles on rails, story mode issues/lack there of, lack of content, lack of anti cheat protection, or them doing anything about hackers. THOSE TWO concerns are what matters most.

The problem with this statement is that it sounds like you're talking about an MMO. When did we all decide that multiplayer shooters should even have a "grind" in the first place? Hardcore players shouldn't need a stat advantage over casuals. A nice shiny skin or something like that should be sufficient to show off their "hardcore" status, let alone the fact that they'll be destroying them based on skill anyhow.

A little bit of progression is all good and well and can even be fun, but a needlessly long grind is silly in a multiplayer shooter. I want to access all the stat related stuff for my characters in a reasonable amount of time, not grind endlessly so I can be proud of earning things that took an unnecessarily long amount of time to unlock for the sake of "progression".

Let the real prestigious stuff that takes a lot of time to earn be skins and stuff like that.
    #JustSayNoToReyLo
  • Dash
    11676 posts Member
    IF you're casual enjoy the game at your own pace and stop whining as if you're competitive suddenly. If you're hardcore, enjoy the grind, the prestige with being the best comes with time and EARNING the rank ups/level ups. With that said, the only thing anyone should be concerned with is being ripped off again like 2015, and the bad mechanics, vehicles on rails, story mode issues/lack there of, lack of content, lack of anti cheat protection, or them doing anything about hackers. THOSE TWO concerns are what matters most.

The problem with this statement is that it sounds like you're talking about an MMO. When did we all decide that multiplayer shooters should even have a "grind" in the first place? Hardcore players shouldn't need a stat advantage over casuals. A nice shiny skin or something like that should be sufficient to show off their "hardcore" status, let alone the fact that they'll be destroying them based on skill anyhow.

A little bit of progression is all good and well and can even be fun, but a needlessly long grind is silly in a multiplayer shooter. I want to access all the stat related stuff for my characters in a reasonable amount of time, not grind endlessly so I can be proud of earning things that took an unnecessarily long amount of time to unlock for the sake of "progression".

Let the real prestigious stuff that takes a lot of time to earn be skins and stuff like that.

I've been playing battlefront since I was 18 on PC, Every single version. The original 2 were AMAZING. And didn't require progression like this. However, with that said, we need to understand that everything changes, and we need to adjust accordingly. Mind you, I mean strictly with how things are in games now. I do not agree with P2W mechanics, or ***** nonsense like that. I fight for a Hacker free gaming experience, I fight for Content and Quality, I fight for fun Story modes that take us to places we've never imagined, and I fight for a community that listens to each other and works together. So what i'm saying is, Game styles change, agendas shift, moral of the story the games about to launch. Play it how you want to play it. No one needs to have someone else's play style shoved down their throats, or their preferences of how a game should be when it comes to progressing through it. Play it YOUR own way individually.
    Origin ID: "NWG_Dash"

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyUQ3FFqM-TQd-3xtZmHOGQ?view_as=subscriber
    Link to all my Guides here in Tips & Tricks: https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/113241/custom-class-hero-loadouts-builds-revisited-pt-2-6-14-2018#latest

"When you ask for trouble, you should not be surprised when it finds you". - Plo Koon

Licensed REALTOR®
    rjy4wg9w86wa.gif

• koprich wrote: »
    Blazur wrote: »
    Stalemate wrote: »
    So pretty much just play the game, it's not a big deal.

The only complaint I can see being made is this is a barrier to progression, when much of that revolves around unlocking cards. If the prices remain as they were in the beta then crates are roughly 100 credits. Vader and Luke each come at a trade-off cost of roughly 100 crates, which is a lot of cards.

You got your maths a bit wrong there. As much as I want to bash EA at every opportunity.

It was 1000-1200 credits per crate.

So Luke/Vadar come at the cost of 10 crates.

That is a lot though given the general consensus was that you get roughly one crate an hour. 10 hours of play time just to unlock a single hero (and at the expense of unlocking anything else in that time).

It's pretty bad.

easy, I got like 45+ crates in the beta
  • I absolutely hate unlocking stuff in DLC. You paid for it, you get it. No jumping through hoops. Really annoyed me in Battlefront 1 and Battelfield 1 DLC. However, it doesn't bother me quite as much in a base game, just so long as it isn't tied to some ***** loot crate or pay-to-win scheme. If it's progression system that players all go through naturally at the same pace, I think it's fine. It actually extends the newness of a game I think when you unlock things slowly rather than start with everything. It also tends to make the early months of a game the most fun, before it becomes common knowledge what the best gun, skills, and heroes are and nobody plays anything else, as happens with most multiplayer games eventually. People are still experimenting and trying stuff out and playing with whatever new thing they just unlocked. S'okay by me. I understand people feeling it's annoying busy work tho.
  • IF you're casual enjoy the game at your own pace and stop whining as if you're competitive suddenly. If you're hardcore, enjoy the grind, the prestige with being the best comes with time and EARNING the rank ups/level ups. With that said, the only thing anyone should be concerned with is being ripped off again like 2015, and the bad mechanics, vehicles on rails, story mode issues/lack there of, lack of content, lack of anti cheat protection, or them doing anything about hackers. THOSE TWO concerns are what matters most.

I've been playing battlefront since I was 18 on PC, Every single version. The original 2 were AMAZING. And didn't require progression like this. However, with that said, we need to understand that everything changes, and we need to adjust accordingly. Mind you, I mean strictly with how things are in games now. I do not agree with P2W mechanics, or **** nonsense like that. I fight for a Hacker free gaming experience, I fight for Content and Quality, I fight for fun Story modes that take us to places we've never imagined, and I fight for a community that listens to each other and works together. So what i'm saying is, Game styles change, agendas shift, moral of the story the games about to launch. Play it how you want to play it. No one needs to have someone else's play style shoved down their throats, or their preferences of how a game should be when it comes to progressing through it. Play it YOUR own way individually.

I basically agree with what you're saying, but my point is that simply isn't enough if the grind is out of control for items that affect your gameplay experience. If a casual player will take months to unlock a stat affecting item that the hardcore players already have, that is something that directly affects their enjoyment of the game.

If the grind is reasonable though, then no worries. The grind is incredibly important though. We shouldn't be spending months and months upgrading our classes and heroes.
    #JustSayNoToReyLo

I've been playing battlefront since I was 18 on PC, Every single version. The original 2 were AMAZING. And didn't require progression like this. However, with that said, we need to understand that everything changes, and we need to adjust accordingly. Mind you, I mean strictly with how things are in games now. I do not agree with P2W mechanics, or **** nonsense like that. I fight for a Hacker free gaming experience, I fight for Content and Quality, I fight for fun Story modes that take us to places we've never imagined, and I fight for a community that listens to each other and works together. So what i'm saying is, Game styles change, agendas shift, moral of the story the games about to launch. Play it how you want to play it. No one needs to have someone else's play style shoved down their throats, or their preferences of how a game should be when it comes to progressing through it. Play it YOUR own way individually.

I basically agree with what you're saying, but my point is that simply isn't enough if the grind is out of control for items that affect your gameplay experience. If a casual player will take months to unlock a stat affecting item that the hardcore players already have, that is something that directly affects their enjoyment of the game.

If the grind is reasonable though, then no worries. The grind is incredibly important though. We shouldn't be spending months and months upgrading our classes and heroes.

I've been arguing the same point for quite a while, and I don't disagree with you for the most part. I remember playing MP games without progression, I remember playing single player games without progression. I remember playing a home Pong machine that had one game, and didn't even have controllers, instead it had two wheels on the console itself and if you wanted to play two players you pretty much had to sit on the floor cheek to cheek with your opponent.

The reason progression is so common in gaming is most people find it fun. Games like Madden improved immensely for single players with the addition of RPG mechanics allowing players on all teams to improve through earning xp. It even works online now with the multiplayer owner mode that allows up to 32 players to each run their own team.

Progression can be taken too far, but if it's done in a sensible manner it adds an additional sense of achievement on top of the sense of achievement one experiences from simply getting better at the game.

I'm not a fan of randomly unlocking things but it sounds like they are working hard to strike a balance with it. And oddly lootboxes are just popular with some people for some reason. Look at how many YouTube videos exist of people just opening a bunch of Madden of FIFA ultimate team packs. Look at how popular collector card games or sports cards have been.

One way or another we'll have all the answers we seek shortly!

May the force be with you.
  • bfloo
    16078 posts Member
    Why are we acting like progression in a shooter is something new?
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• Stalemate
    3600 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    Or in any game, where is the fun if there isn't stuff to work towards other than just playing the game obviously.
  • bfloo wrote: »
    Why are we acting like progression in a shooter is something new?

We're not, but MOM style endless grinding is.
    #JustSayNoToReyLo
  • MMO* autocorrect fail
    #JustSayNoToReyLo
  • MOM style haha.
  • Dash
    11676 posts Member
    Stalemate wrote: »
    MOM style haha.

L M A O
    Origin ID: "NWG_Dash"

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyUQ3FFqM-TQd-3xtZmHOGQ?view_as=subscriber
    Link to all my Guides here in Tips & Tricks: https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/113241/custom-class-hero-loadouts-builds-revisited-pt-2-6-14-2018#latest

"When you ask for trouble, you should not be surprised when it finds you". - Plo Koon

Licensed REALTOR®
    rjy4wg9w86wa.gif

• I only just noticed the endless grinding bit lol, best typo ever.

"MOM style endless grinding" @Admiral_Petty 2017
  • Stalemate wrote: »
    I only just noticed the endless grinding bit lol, best typo ever.

"MOM style endless grinding" @Admiral_Petty 2017

Yeah, gotta love autocorrect...
    #JustSayNoToReyLo
  • Correction from the original post:
    Vader and Luke are 60,000 credits
    Leia and the Emperor are 40,000 credits
    Chewie and Iden are 20,000 credits

Insane...
  • Unacceptable
    Ponds main

Officer of The Knights of Gareth
    uruzea55jgr4.png
  • bfloo
    16078 posts Member
    Landeaux wrote: »
    Correction from the original post:
    Vader and Luke are 60,000 credits
    Leia and the Emperor are 40,000 credits
    Chewie and Iden are 20,000 credits

Insane...

I don't see myself ever unlocking Iden.

I wonder how much Phasma and Finn will be.

h846398gb27k.png

• gzcnr
    290 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    Oh my god now i understand cross era hero non-sense. They are going to sell them..

Oh boy that is just the beginning. They will make progression so slow and painful on purpose to encourage loot crate sales, expecially for the dlc heroes.

175252512 credits or legendary hero loot crates starting $9.99

lol this game is f****d up beyond repair even before its release. this will be the first dice game that I will just pass since battlefield 2.
  • This is *****. I get that we need to play to unlock things but locking abilities or weapons behind crates and character level is way different than locking entire heroes behind the credit system. If they were going to go that route they should have locked them all. It is a really poor design choice and is super frustrating. I have been defending them for the loot box thing since they announced their changes but this is ridiculous.
  • It'll cost 240,000 credits to unlock every Hero available in this game.
  • I didn't mind the sound of this idea at first. My problem is with the costs of each hero. They are 40-60k each!
  • Hero vs Villians now arcade carbage. They made HUNT FOR HERO with respawn until time ended.
    No victory for LAST ALIVE HERO = NO GLORY. No tactics, no soldier support . Only Mince from heroes.

The battle with lightsaber disappeared as a class.
    Some figures with colored sticks. No clutch with simultaneous attack with swords. These were really epic moments.
    Hardly anyone will start to pump 60,000 per hero, it's much more interesting to spend them on cards for soldiers. And yes they again issue repeated cards and refund 200 credits back, with one card costing 1000 credits. What kind of math is ***** (4000 is a box with 4 cards)
  • so is unlocking heros strictly to use them cross eras? if thats the case, i dont mind it as much. but if i cant even use luke or vader on a death star or endor map until i spend 60k credits on them (which isnt performanced based, i'll literally have to play for months) thats ridiculous. yes i am a gamer and a good one. but i have a full time job, a new born on the way. i like to spend an hour or two a night to play, but i dont have countless hours everyday to play like apparently most people who are okay with this credit/hero unlocking system. i'm all for progression. and i dont mind a little grinding. on the surface tho, this is utter ridiculousness
  • Locking the heroes behind credits is easy way to pad their progression.

Only Iden should have been locked before beating the SP.

• valeri0706
    628 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    This is simply horrendous.

All Heroes should have been available at launch. Why are we paying full game price, then? Or at least they should have reduced Vader/Luke's prices. 60, 000 credits? Are you kidding me?! Make the math on how many hours you would need to play if you are getting around 250-300 credits per game (15 min game). That's 60 hours of playing to unlock JUST Vader and not even considering star cards or other stuff.

Now look how painful and slow grinding will become in a few months as the pay-to-win system will slowly restrain you more and more until you are forced to throw in real money.

I am a click close to cancelling my pre-order 1 week before launch...
  • What the hell am I reading in this thread

People defending this are daft, this isn't "muh progression" this is straight up locking what is essentially a class, 7 times.

This isn't unlocking a skin or a weapon modification. I can imagine we aren't far from seeing you guys defending them locking specialist and heavy for 15k. I hope you're happy if the game dies in a couple months like the original when feedback is drowned out by sheep arguing against their own interests like you, because it'll be your fault.
  • It's really f-uc-ked up. I hope when I buy it for myself on Xmas that all this bullsh is fixed.

• I don’t even think this is true, if it was, all of the big battlefront YouTube channels would be talking about this.
    secondly, I don’t think dice would do this, they know the hero’s are popular and a lot of people wouldn’t like this system.
    thirdly, they haven’t said anything about this, the game is releasing in one day so I think they would have said something by now.

I have the EA Access trial. I can see that Vader, Luke, Palpatine, Leia, Chewie, and Iden are locked. Luke and Vader require 60,000 credits, Leia and the Emperor require 40,000 credits, and Chewie and Iden require 20,000 credits; this totals 240,000 credits required to unlock every hero.
  • bfloo
    16078 posts Member
    Landeaux wrote: »
    I don’t even think this is true, if it was, all of the big battlefront YouTube channels would be talking about this.

I have the EA Access trial. I can see that Vader, Luke, Palpatine, Leia, Chewie, and Iden are locked. Luke and Vader require 60,000 credits, Leia and the Emperor require 40,000 credits, and Chewie and Iden require 20,000 credits; this totals 240,000 credits required to unlock every hero.

Hopefully it is true that the prices were jacked up for the trial.

h846398gb27k.png

• valeri0706
    628 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    Seems Finn and Phasma will also be locked for credits when TLJ season is released next month.

I guess it's best to start griding once the game is released, then...
  • I want to find out how much they both cost so I can set that aside for the DLC release and buy them instantly.
  • Vader costs 10k credits to unlock. Welp, I know what I'm going to be saving up for first...

60k actually

Working out the maths, it will roughly take 525 loot box's to unlock all the cards, emots etc. That doesn't take into account duplicates or post launch launch content so realistically it will take much longer. It costs 4000 credits to buy a trooper loot box and the average player earns between 150 to 250 credits a match. So it's gonna be a pretty long grind, your looking a few years at least to unlock everything.
  • This is a non-issue. Play the game and unlock heroes. Stop crying.
  • 3mptyChance
    49 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    I do wanna play the game. I also wanna play with the full game :smile: . Reasonable grind is ok, but 347 hours of play time (30 min GA gives you around 345 Credits) just so i can finally play all the heroes and villains is not reasonable.
  • I do wanna play the game. I also wanna play with the full game :smile: . Reasonable grind is ok, but 347 hours of play time (30 min GA gives you around 345 Credits) just so i can finally play all the heroes and villains is not reasonable.

Exactly. This would be a non-issue if the time time to unlock these things (which you are supposed to have access to in the first place for paying full-game price) wasn't that long.

I want to play to have fun and occasionally equip star cards here and there - not to grind like crazy for months and months simply for several heroes and this not including cards/lootboxes at all.
  • This is not crying about nerfs or buffs.

This is pointing out annoying, arbitrary padded progression.

I am a bit shocked after I saw Angry Joe's interview w/ the Multiplayer Designer, thinking "Wow, DICE is really trying to save face and address and change how stupid their loot crate/progression system is". Then I see this and lose faith in them.

So glad I have Battlefield 1. Even though their variant guns and battlepacks systems are stupid, its still much betetr than this c-rap.

• captnobvius
    75 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    I think it's fine they've added a long-term end goal unlock.

Vader is one of the most iconic characters of any movie, book or story in the history of humanity.

If he takes a few months to unlock that's fine by me. Gives you something to lookforward to down the road.

Besides if you REALLY wanted him you could probably unlock him in about 30 hours of play if you wanted to skip opening crates.

I don't get why you people are crying about this. Seems fine to me.

Heck they aren't even charging money for it! It's not even a cash grab. And you're still complaining lol!
  • valeri0706
    628 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    I think it's fine they've added a long-term end goal unlock.

Vader is one of the most iconic characters of any movie, book or story in the history of humanity.

If he takes a few months to unlock that's fine by me. Gives you something to lookforward to down the road.

Besides if you REALLY wanted him you could probably unlock him in about 30 hours of play if you wanted to skip opening crates

I don't get why you people are crying about this. Seems fine to me.

Heck they aren't even charging money for it! It's not even a cash grab. And you're still complaining lol!

Because while you are out there saving credits for Vader for months, someone is also out there spending all of his credits for star cards and crafting parts for months in order to upgrade them and wreck you on the Battlefront while you are equipped with nothing.

This is what worries me. Hence why I think I am going to stay with Maul, Kylo, Boba Fett and Bossk and Rey, Han, Yoda and Lando and play only with them throughout the lifespan of the game, while focusing on crates mainly (or save credits for Heroes and spend 1/10 of every 10,000 credits (1000 credits) for crates).
  • Calm down everyone.. This is just a rumor, who knows if its actually true! I personally doubt that its true..

Its in the early access trial build
  • I think it's fine they've added a long-term end goal unlock.

Omg its not about long term end goals or unlocks. They want you to save ingame credits for Vader and buy loot crates for star cards.

It is an obvious aggressive money grab attempt.
  • Do you think NOT unlocking the locked behind credits heroes and playing with the unlocked base 8 heroes should be enough for having fun in the long term?

Because I plan on mainly saving my credits for loot boxes and try to enjoy the game with Kylo, Maul, Bobba, Bosk and Rey, Yoda, Lando and Han only.
  • So many apologists afraid of buyer's remorse.
  • queso_king
    1 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    Ezio wrote: »
    Honestly, I don't see anything objectively wrong with this system. I don't have much multiplayer shooter experience, (so far the EA Battlefront franchise is my only excursion into multiplayer), but this sounds to me like any other single-player game I've played. In a video game, you generally have to unlock things that are better/add variety, often obtainable through either direct purchases with in-game currency or reaching milestones/achievements.

The argument "I paid for this game so I shouldn't have buy/grind for this and this thing" is akin to saying "I bought this game, therefore I should already have everything unlocked, achievements done, and have the campaign in 100% completion." Yes, it's an extreme case, but it's an extension of the same logic. When you purchase a game, your purchasing the challenge and the entertainment it provides, part of that challenge being progression. If you think the challenge or progression is unfair, then it's up to you to decide whether or not to invest the time and money, not try to force it to suit your needs. (That's not to say that some things don't need to be discussed, like balancing and whether or not the base mechanics or objectively good. On the same token, though, it's still your job to decide if the game is worth your time and money).

However, I do share the concerns others have expressed that this may just be an attempt to mask a lack of depth in progression, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Let me stop you right there, your first admission to not knowing alot about online games, shooters, there ya go. As someone with hours of experience many multiplayer games I can tell you know little of the effort to play an online game well and develop "skill". That is where my argument boils down to and I have issue with the locked heroes.
    It would be a little easier to swallow the fact there's locked playable characters that you want to use online if the skill shown in games/individually playing well earned you more credits than the last place (apparently i m b e c i l e is censored on these forums)on your team when you win.
    The current exp reward system doesn't account for individual performance, to significantly get more credits for that performance would make sense unless you're trying to keep players down, make them keep playing earning at the staggered rate to frustrate them into spending real money try and advance their progression.
    What's the point to bust your backside* in the game if you know you're only getting so much if you win and lose and your best effort isn't rewarded beyond at the end of the game victory pose?
  • Ive played the early access. Outs all I greeted aved more. You average anywhere from 250 to 650 credits depending on skill per match in galactic war. It's gong to be 40000 credits to unlock Vader. Do the math. That's a grind. I'd say an average playet will get about 375 credits so is not going to be easy to unlock these heros.
  • If heroes are different amounts of credits like mentioned in this thread (Vader 60k, palps 40k etc) is this a reflection of how powerful they are? Is Vader top dollar because he is popular or because he's the most bad *****?
  • Xx_Lead_Zepp_xX
    7 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    The only hero I've seen wipe the floor with people is yoda. He is the odd job of battlefront. He is tough to kill... but not impossible. Ray is a bit weak imo.
  • Well nobody minds paying up to 25.000 renown in rainbow six siege for the operators right? I see the same thing here, with the exception that heroes are just situational, not the soldier you use everytime. As long as they unlock all of them for the 1 player against AI gamemode, seems good to me