criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Felucia Transmission
No Match for a Good Blaster

Smuggler Han Solo Skin, not what you think

So today in the remaining hours of my trial, I finished off all the arcade missions on all the difficulties to unlock the "Smuggler" skin for Han Solo. I was surprised when I got it to find, it isn't A New Hope Han, its a new Han.

First off the most noticeable thing is, he has a beard the other minor detail is, he's wearing the wrong trousers. Han's pants had red lines going up the sides of his trousers in ANH and this skin has yellow. See picture below.

https://imgur.com/a/cPju1

Replies

• ZeroAffex
    246 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    I am pretty sure, referencing my knowledge from the Han Solo trilogy that those pants/boots are from when he was cadet training to become a pilot for the Galactic empire, but chose to help Chewbacca instead giving up his lifelong dream to become a pilot for the empire. After his falling out with the Galactic empire, he became dirt broke and had to resort back to smuggling to make ends meet.

Edit: Also, the beard gives me further belief to this as during that time he was very depressed and often drunk. It was also noted that he was dingy, unkempt and unshaven during that time. When aspiring to be a pilot for the empire, he was clean, well shaven and did his best to always look professional and presentable. Even the non depressed version of Han we see in the movies is clean shaven. :P

• ZeroAffex wrote: »
    I am pretty sure, referencing my knowledge from the Han Solo trilogy that those pants/boots are from when he was cadet training to become a pilot for the Galactic empire, but chose to help Chewbacca instead giving up his lifelong dream to become a pilot for the empire. After his falling out with the Galactic empire, he became dirt broke and had to resort back to smuggling to make ends meet.

Not sure if that backstory for Han still holds since Disney took over, it hasn't been referenced yet, only that he was once married before.

I have two running theories for this Han.

1. This is Han prior to ANH and when he was down on his luck, hence the beard.
    2. (the more likely one) This is Han post-ROTJ when he went back to smuggling, and may come up in the campaign at some point, which is why they even put it in the game, instead of one of his more iconic outfits.
  • As I recall, that's his look during the campaign, which apparently matches how he looked during the Aftermath trilogy of novels that also took place around that time. Which hey, that's neat and I appreciate the attention to detail. Never really imagined Han Solo with a beard, but I kind of dig it.

We do need a regular A New Hope skin for Han, though.
  • Nithorian wrote: »
    ZeroAffex wrote: »

Not sure if that backstory for Han still holds since Disney took over, it hasn't been referenced yet, only that he was once married before.

I have two running theories for this Han.

1. This is Han prior to ANH and when he was down on his luck, hence the beard.
    2. (the more likely one) This is Han post-ROTJ when he went back to smuggling, and may come up in the campaign at some point, which is why they even put it in the game, instead of one of his more iconic outfits.

Yea, Disney has been rather a big pain in the ***** for Star Wars lore. Hard to speculate. I'll dig out one of my books here later and see if they describe his pants in better detail. I know he wore them for sometime after parting ways with the empire, mainly because he was dirt broke and gambled/drank what money he made away. Good stuff though. Thanks for sharing.

• As I recall, that's his look during the campaign, which apparently matches how he looked during the Aftermath trilogy of novels that also took place around that time. Which hey, that's neat and I appreciate the attention to detail. Never really imagined Han Solo with a beard, but I kind of dig it.

That'll be super easy to do though, just swap in the default Han head, and change the trousers colour to bright blue with red stripes instead.
    Yea, Disney has been rather a big pain in the **** for Star Wars lore. Hard to speculate. I'll dig out one of my books here later and see if they describe his pants in better detail. I know he wore them for sometime after parting ways with the empire, mainly because he was dirt broke and gambled/drank what money he made away. Good stuff though. Thanks for sharing.

Well I imagine most of Han's backstory will be told in the movie coming out next year, so they can either retread old stories or go somewhere new with him.

As it stands, Han might not be Coreillian and he may never have been Imperial, until the movie we don't know.
    Yea, Disney has been rather a big pain in the **** for Star Wars lore. Hard to speculate. I'll dig out one of my books here later and see if they describe his pants in better detail. I know he wore them for sometime after parting ways with the empire, mainly because he was dirt broke and gambled/drank what money he made away. Good stuff though. Thanks for sharing.

Well I imagine most of Han's backstory will be told in the movie coming out next year, so they can either retread old stories or go somewhere new with him.

As it stands, Han might not be Coreillian and he may never have been Imperial, until the movie we don't know.

Double-checking the canon part of Wookieepedia confirms that Solo was still born on Corellia. He also still won the Falcon from Lando in a game of Sabacc (which I hope the film Solo shows). Whether or not he once attended an Imperial academy is currently unknown.
  • ZeroAffex
    246 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    Nithorian wrote: »

lol.. yea well anything post disney star wars, I don't really consider cannon myself personally. I have a nice collection of books and movies, that if disney wants to ruin all the already great lore we were given just to be well, disney, they can go right ahead. I can care less. They already did a lot of damage to pre-disney cannon just with Episode 7.

I do hope they run with a lot of the lore we have for Han, or even Boba Fett when they do his movie (hopefully). Want to enjoy these movies but if they change everything drastically, not so sure :persevere:

lol.. yea well anything post disney star wars, I don't really consider cannon myself personally. I have a nice collection of books and movies, that if disney wants to ruin all the already great lore we were given just to be well, disney, they can go right ahead. I can care less. They already did a lot of damage to pre-disney cannon just with Episode 7.

I do hope they run with a lot of the lore we have for Han, or even Boba Fett when they do his movie (hopefully). Want to enjoy these movies but if they change everything drastically, not so sure :persevere:

Well Clone Wars already reconned a lot of Boba and Jango. The big one being, they are no longer Mandalorians, just Bounty Hunters that wear Mandalorian armour. However Rebels made Concord Dawn canon again, so I'm not sure what Jango's status is anymore.

Well Clone Wars already reconned a lot of Boba and Jango. The big one being, they are no longer Mandalorians, just Bounty Hunters that wear Mandalorian armour. However Rebels made Concord Dawn canon again, so I'm not sure what Jango's status is anymore.

A dude that probably grew up close to Mandos, thought "that is some fine armor," and decided to get a set for his own use? If they ever re-explore Jango's origins there'll likely be more to it than that, but that's my take.

Edit: Also, the beard gives me further belief to this as during that time he was very depressed and often drunk. It was also noted that he was dingy, unkempt and unshaven during that time. When aspiring to be a pilot for the empire, he was clean, well shaven and did his best to always look professional and presentable. Even the non depressed version of Han we see in the movies is clean shaven. :P
    This seems like what the creators were basing it off of

Well to be fair, it's not like George actually considered the EU cannon. It was just a way to get more exposure and money. The whole thing was a mess of contradictions. How many times in the EU was the Emporor brought back to life?

There was some quality work there, but there was also tons of erm... lesser quality.
  • ZeroAffex
    246 posts Member
    edited November 2017

Well to be fair, it's not like George actually considered the EU cannon. It was just a way to get more exposure and money. The whole thing was a mess of contradictions. How many times in the EU was the Emporor brought back to life?

There was some quality work there, but there was also tons of erm... lesser quality.

Can you be more precise? Not sure what book(s) you are referring unless maybe works done under the children publisher Scholastic. I have read just about every book within the pre-disney Star Wars Timeline and most are great and don't tend to stray too far from what we can expect. I will say some authors are much better than others, several books with awesome content/concepts fall flat from the lackluster writing but even still, upon finishing were worthwhile though this is off topic.

Just curious, I take great interest in these types of things :)

Edit: Got sidetracked.. Most series that were attached to Star Wars timeline were overseen by Lucas. Basically he said, to them "Here is the universe, the timeline and generic plot. You fill in the blanks to get there for me". Most of the authors for the series took time to meet with others who had previous publications and study up on general lore before endeavoring the process of writing. I feel pretty confident that Lucas considered most pre-disney books cannon, give or take a few.

• Hey! I've done quite a bit of research and know EXACTLY what is all is. The outfit is basically what he wears in return of the jedi. Which, if you notice, has the same shirt/pants/boots from episode 5 and 6. The beard of course is just to show age to the younger model, saving EA time and money.

Here's a picture from ROTJ
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjwvMGin7rXAhWB1CYKHQo5DnoQjRwIBw&url=https://jkhub.org/topic/5582-han-solo/&psig=AOvVaw3u728OrbD9ghJqNLNjcZnB&ust=1510617596437149

Hopefully the link works.
    I like the skin for single player, however i'm kinda disappointed cause I wanted the classic A New Hope or Return of the Jedi outfit. Especially since the games website and some trailers advertise that skin. Hopefully it either becomes an option or different skin entirely. If there are any questions just quote my comment and I may get back to it.

Until the game comes out,

"May the force be with you, always"
  • SpiffyGuac wrote: »
    Hey! I've done quite a bit of research and know EXACTLY what is all is. The outfit is basically what he wears in return of the jedi. Which, if you notice, has the same shirt/pants/boots from episode 5 and 6. The beard of course is just to show age to the younger model, saving EA time and money.

Here's a picture from ROTJ
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjwvMGin7rXAhWB1CYKHQo5DnoQjRwIBw&url=https://jkhub.org/topic/5582-han-solo/&psig=AOvVaw3u728OrbD9ghJqNLNjcZnB&ust=1510617596437149

Hopefully the link works.
    I like the skin for single player, however i'm kinda disappointed cause I wanted the classic A New Hope or Return of the Jedi outfit. Especially since the games website and some trailers advertise that skin. Hopefully it either becomes an option or different skin entirely. If there are any questions just quote my comment and I may get back to it.

Until the game comes out,

"May the force be with you, always"

Accidentally used wrong link
    https://ewedit.files.wordpress.com/2015/08/han-solo-return-of-the-jedi.jpg?w=1024
  • Dash
    11627 posts Member
    So today in the remaining hours of my trial, I finished off all the arcade missions on all the difficulties to unlock the "Smuggler" skin for Han Solo. I was surprised when I got it to find, it isn't A New Hope Han, its a new Han.

First off the most noticeable thing is, he has a beard the other minor detail is, he's wearing the wrong trousers. Han's pants had red lines going up the sides of his trousers in ANH and this skin has yellow. See picture below.

https://imgur.com/a/cPju1

That entire skin is a Tribute to Dash Rendar, a very VERY Famous Legends Character who is also a smuggler, and a very wanted character to be brought into the franchise.
    Origin ID: "NWG_Dash"

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyUQ3FFqM-TQd-3xtZmHOGQ?view_as=subscriber
    Link to all my Guides here in Tips & Tricks: https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/113241/custom-class-hero-loadouts-builds-revisited-pt-2-6-14-2018#latest

"When you ask for trouble, you should not be surprised when it finds you". - Plo Koon
    rjy4wg9w86wa.gif

• That entire skin is a Tribute to Dash Rendar, a very VERY Famous Legends Character who is also a smuggler, and a very wanted character to be brought into the franchise.

The outfit doesn't look anything Like Dash's. I think its purpose is something else, most likely linked to the campaign since it goes from EP VI to EP VII they needed some new canon skins for the aging OT cast.
  • Why the beard? I would have much rather preferred a classic Han Solo without one.

All we need now is evil Obi-Wan from the scrapped BF3.

All we need now is evil Obi-Wan from the scrapped BF3.

Ohh. I'm glad someone else members that
  • Dash
    11627 posts Member
    That entire skin is a Tribute to Dash Rendar, a very VERY Famous Legends Character who is also a smuggler, and a very wanted character to be brought into the franchise.

The outfit doesn't look anything Like Dash's. I think its purpose is something else, most likely linked to the campaign since it goes from EP VI to EP VII they needed some new canon skins for the aging OT cast.

HIS face, is Identical structure and facial hair to Dash from N64's Shadows of the empire.
    Origin ID: "NWG_Dash"

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyUQ3FFqM-TQd-3xtZmHOGQ?view_as=subscriber
    Link to all my Guides here in Tips & Tricks: https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/113241/custom-class-hero-loadouts-builds-revisited-pt-2-6-14-2018#latest

"When you ask for trouble, you should not be surprised when it finds you". - Plo Koon
    rjy4wg9w86wa.gif

HIS face, is Identical structure and facial hair to Dash from N64's Shadows of the empire.

Ah shadows of the empire. A true classic
  • Ahsoka_Tano
    7341 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    2zbqvWT.jpg
    Just a dude wearing Han's clothes for me. But it's nice to see that DICE already created a skin for him.
    For General Ahsoka Tano!
    h3d5nuo8y0jq.png

• Does anyone think they'll make the beard optional or maybe have a cleanshaven skin or something?
  • d100Productions
    1314 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    I dig it. Skins are nice. Sadly, no Slave Leia outfit I think. Or Slave Ahsoka if she ever becomes a character. :(
  • I dig it. Skins are nice. Sadly, no Slave Leia outfit I think. Or Slave Ahsoka if she ever becomes a character. :(

You'll never see Slave Leia in any official materials again, Disney refused to make merchandise or further promote that image of the character. This was all done before Carrie passed away too, so now that she has, out of respect they are probably more determined to keep Slave Leia in the past.
  • He looks good with the beard. Can't wait to unlock it.
  • He looks stu-pid w/ the beard.
  • It’ll take a while to achieve that skin...
    I dig it. Skins are nice. Sadly, no Slave Leia outfit I think. Or Slave Ahsoka if she ever becomes a character. :(
    Out of respect they are probably more determined to keep Slave Leia in the past.
    In my opinion, a sad decision. This was "iconic" for the Star Wars franchise.

For General Ahsoka Tano!
    h3d5nuo8y0jq.png

• Nithorian
    183 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    Out of respect they are probably more determined to keep Slave Leia in the past.
    In my opinion, a sad decision. This was "iconic" for the Star Wars franchise.

In a world where Disney has flipped Star Wars on its head, and made none stop "strong female leader characters" since acquiring the franchise, you will never ever see anything that might even slightly make their girls look weak or like sex icons.
  • Give Leia her most iconic outfit ever from ANH.

White robe w/ the buns, how could they still not have this!?
  • It's from the campaign when you play as Solo at Maz's castle

(I'm still pretty annoyed by the end of that mission; let me go rescue wookies!)
  • SSJSnoop wrote: »
    Give Leia her most iconic outfit ever from ANH.

White robe w/ the buns, how could they still not have this!?

I'm pretty sure they do. Or have at least mentioned it in interviews about the skins they want to do. They've also mentioned Farm Boy Luke and Bespin Luke as well. The skins are either rare drops in crates, or will be added with events down the line.