criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

PS4 Starfighter Control Tips Needed!

I'm having serious difficulty on the PS4 with the Starfighter controls-too much rolling and spinning. I like to invert the flight, so I have that covered, but what seems to be the best settings? Default? Advanced flight on or off? Any tips and explanation of the settings is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Replies

• you turn and move at the same time, it happens to me i tend to spin out a lot, its really sensitive. you should only use one of them if you are during sharp turns. just be gentle
  • I only disabled rotation as all I did is spin around. After I did that and adjusted my sensitivity and made a huge difference.
  • Yep, try disabling the roll. Helped me no end.
  • Thank you, everyone, for taking the time for all our input. After all your advice, I disabled the roll and it helped tremendously. It's similar in flight to the first game, but the feel is much better. I experimented a lot with the controls during the campaign and noticed a big difference for both Ties and X-Wings, even the Falcon. I also adjusted the STARFIGHTER RESPONSE CURVE (whatever that means) down to 25% and it has enhanced the flight feel even more by easing the twitchiness and I notice I can turn better. I tried this setting at multiple intervals higher than the default 50% and a lower one at 25% was the perfect spot.

However, upon adjusting the STARFIGHTER RESPONSE CURVE, I then noticed that it indeed affected the default SOLDIER SENSITIVITY, which I thought was odd, so I changed that down from the default to 17% and that very little difference now helps. So with all that done, I played on Special Forces Difficulty from the latter half of the game until the end and my starfighter dogfights were a success. And with the roll disabled, I was able to evade incoming missiles. My soldier gameplay was top-notch in feel and form as well. And my starfighter performance in multiplayer on the Hoth map was a great success.

So in case any PS4 user needs a good flight adjustment, this is what now works for me:

INVERT FLIGHT: YES
    DISABLE ROLL: YES
    SOLDIER SENSITIVITY 17%
    STARFIGHTER RESPONSE CURVE 25%

• And with the roll disabled, I was able to evade incoming missiles.

I've found that having roll on allows for easy missed evasion as well. I roll both together, the roll that I get from both sticks (sort of a spiral roll), and then I pull straight back (like you would with roll off) to change direction.

The spiral roll also works well for pursuing ships.
  • I turned off the advanced flight controls and went with what is essentially the system from the last game.

The big problem with the advanced flight controls for me is that the ship rolls even when you are only using yaw. If I want to yaw and then roll or do both at once you can easily overcompensate or incorrectly compensate. Then the whole thing is "sideways" on me.

In playing the story there is a whole lot of roll for the ships even with turning the roll control option off.

I'm feel like I'm getting a whole lot of "incorrect" feedback from the game. Something between the roll when only yawing, the auto correct to the horizon, and the camera is not meshed properly or is just seriously crossing my own personal wiring on this.

I'd also love it if the Star Cards went to the D-pad and a throttle up and down got mapped to R1 and L1 and off the stick. I feel like I'd be better off being able to change speed while not taking a thumb off the stick than having to take a thumb off the stick to activate an ability.
  • Frimmel wrote: »
    I turned off the advanced flight controls and went with what is essentially the system from the last game.

The big problem with the advanced flight controls for me is that the ship rolls even when you are only using yaw. If I want to yaw and then roll or do both at once you can easily overcompensate or incorrectly compensate. Then the whole thing is "sideways" on me.

In playing the story there is a whole lot of roll for the ships even with turning the roll control option off.

I'm feel like I'm getting a whole lot of "incorrect" feedback from the game. Something between the roll when only yawing, the auto correct to the horizon, and the camera is not meshed properly or is just seriously crossing my own personal wiring on this.

I'd also love it if the Star Cards went to the D-pad and a throttle up and down got mapped to R1 and L1 and off the stick. I feel like I'd be better off being able to change speed while not taking a thumb off the stick than having to take a thumb off the stick to activate an ability.

Great insight. I have noticed the flight controls are much better and precise in the campaign than in multiplayer. I played the First Order Ties in MP for the fist time last night and they seem ultra sensitive in flight, more quick in maneuverability than needed, whereas the Imperial Ties seem perfect. With the FO Ties, I had the hardest time leading ahead on enemies to hit the white target circle. I knew something was off since I found my perfect Starfighter settings.
  • My question: Can you lock on with regular blaster fire? I have only been able to figure out lock on with the Fighter's proton torpedo, I can't lock on an enemy ship with regular blaster fire. I see the little circle where to aim ahead of the enemy ship, but do I really have to manually aim to hit that thing, that's ridiculously difficult.
    "I'm Luke Skywalker. I'm here to rescue you!"
  • Bravo-November7
    450 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    My question: Can you lock on with regular blaster fire? I have only been able to figure out lock on with the Fighter's proton torpedo, I can't lock on an enemy ship with regular blaster fire. I see the little circle where to aim ahead of the enemy ship, but do I really have to manually aim to hit that thing, that's ridiculously difficult.

No lock on with regular blaster fire from when I play, just with the torpedo. Yeah, you have to hit the circle manually. With all other fighters, hitting the circle isn't a problem for me, it's just with the FO Ties.
  • Yep, no lock on like in the prior game.
  • Cool, thank you. I need to unlearn what I have learned.
  • Yeah i notice there are issues with sensitivities especially with the interceptors. Too many times I over shoot the the white circle when Im just love tapping the stick. Still trying to figure out sweet spot
  • duvelsuper wrote: »
    Yeah i notice there are issues with sensitivities especially with the interceptors. Too many times I over shoot the the white circle when Im just love tapping the stick. Still trying to figure out sweet spot

I'm finding it to be a matter of it won't move, it won't move, it's gone. They've made all the starfighters different pretty much with messing with all the response curves of the cursor I think. None of them really feel like they fly different but they all feel like they aim different.
  • I found the roll a little distracting at first, but now I think it's fine.

I programmed myself to stick to up/down for throttle and while I spin out very occasionally, I find it useful now for dodging debris on crowded maps... especially when you're in the Falcon or Slave I.

I also find it useful for spinning the Falcon if only to annoy pursuers.

It's a good addition to the controls for me :)
  • A fellow PS4 Battlefront gamer shared some great Starfighter control settings with me yesterday. And they work great in both the campaign and MP. And I performed much better, even with several killstreaks in MP. These settings also keeps the bounce in Starfighter's chassis, especially the TIE. Just disabling the roll option without the following tweaks made chassis's bounce very limited in flight and restricted.

INVERT FLIGHT: YES (Optional)
    DISABLE ROLL: YES
    STICK DEADZONE: BETWEEN 5-60% (I use 60% as there is more sensitivity control of the starfighter in flight)
    STARFIGHTER RESPONSE CURVE 100%
    STARFIGHTER CONTROL LAYOUT: DEFAULT OR LEGACY. (Default works best for me)
  • The roll would be fine were it not for the animations where the craft rolls when only yaw is being applied. These are present in both 3rd person and first person view (and wow is that first person view wrong.) I can't distinguish between the roll I'm applying and the roll animations from the yaw.
  • My question: Can you lock on with regular blaster fire? I have only been able to figure out lock on with the Fighter's proton torpedo, I can't lock on an enemy ship with regular blaster fire. I see the little circle where to aim ahead of the enemy ship, but do I really have to manually aim to hit that thing, that's ridiculously difficult.

There is a slight auto aim especially when zoomed. But yes, aim for the circle.
  • Cool thanks. Next question: Does decreasing your speed affect blaster fire strength like in SWBF1 2015? I haven't played enough matches to tell, but I still do it out of habit. Do I need to?
  • Cool thanks. Next question: Does decreasing your speed affect blaster fire strength like in SWBF1 2015? I haven't played enough matches to tell, but I still do it out of habit. Do I need to?

No need to slow for blaster fire. But, I, too, still do it out habit, but now I slow a lot of times on purpose because there's so much junk floating around and close quarters of certain areas on the maps.
  • Thanks Bravo. Full speed ahead!